What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

treat to watch every week...one athlete who certainly lives up to the hype. That was fun to watch him get in on offense and get that one today..

Didn't do anything on the defensive side of the ball though (statistically speaking).

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't do anything on the defensive side of the ball though (statistically speaking).
forced an INT to Brooks Reed when he leveled Carr. doesn't matter if he fills the stat sheet when he's taking up double teams and forcing turnovers

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ Watt is pretty much one of the best stories in the NFL. Started at a low D1 school, transferred to his home school, became the pride of Wisconsin, went to NFL, dominated NFL, rinse, repeat...he is the #####.

On a side note...I know people who know him personally(not saying I know him)...not sh*tting anyone...he is a humble, down to earth type of guy.

People always rag on the NFL for the shortcomings and the scandals, but we always overlook the great guys.. he is one of many who worked hard and made his dream come true. Kudos to him.

It sucks that Watt left just before Russel Wilson got there, they would have won the title.

JJ Watt is pretty much one of the best stories in the NFL. Started at a low D1 school, transferred to his home school, became the pride of Wisconsin, went to NFL, dominated NFL, rinse, repeat...he is the #####.

On a side note...I know people who know him personally(not saying I know him)...not sh*tting anyone...he is a humble, down to earth type of guy.

People always rag on the NFL for the shortcomings and the scandals, but we always overlook the great guys.. he is one of many who worked hard and made his dream come true. Kudos to him.

It sucks that Watt left just before Russel Wilson got there, they would have won the title.
All reports here through people that have interacted with him is that he's completely genuine and a cool dude.

MMQB:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/15/monday-morning-qb-nfl-week-2/3/

Excerpt (click on the link to see the related video):

We hear a lot of clichés in this business. In fact, most of what comes out of post-game mouths, collectively, is one giant cliché. Even though what you’re about to read (or watch) stems from a cliché, I think it’s well worth your time—particularly if you are a coach or mentor with young athletes or students trying to improve their games or lives.

I always like to seek answers to how really good players try to get better, and I asked J.J. Watt that question:

His answer:

“Well, the first thing I’ll say is the reason clichés become clichés is because they’re true. They hold some truth in their words. People talk all the time about work ethic, working hard, dedication and commitment, and sometimes people write those answers off because they do seem clichéd. But the honest-to-God truth is if you put in the time and you put in the effort, and you watch the film and you study and you work out, and you treat your off-season the right way, and you treat every single practice the right way, you truly can be great.

“I think it’s a daily commitment. I heard a quote that I like one time. It says, ‘Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.’ And that’s a cliché right there. But it’s the absolute truth.

“Because every single day, someone’s coming for your job. Someone’s coming for your greatness. If you’re the greatest, someone wants to be the greatest, and so if you’re not constantly improving your game, somebody else is. And somebody wants to take your spot. So the way I attack it, every single day is like a game. Every single practice rep I treat like a game rep. I get pissed if I get blocked. I get excited if I make a play. But that’s because you put in so much effort, you put in so much energy. I get just as excited for my teammates. If they make a play, I love it, and we try and help each other chase greatness. At the end of the day, that’s why … If you’re going to put in all these hours, you’re gonna come out on the practice field sweat your … butt off, and you’re going to put in all this work, why wouldn’t you want to be the greatest? That’s what it’s all about, man.

“Some people chase money. Some people chase fame. Some chase greatness. And that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Other than perhaps if someone didn't like how much the media covers him, which isn't really JJ's fault, I can't think of a single reason someone could have for not liking this guy.

The biggest complaint I ever heard about him was for a strange sack celebration he did one time... which it turned out was him miming rolling in a wheelchair and then shooting a basketball. There is a trio of Houston kids who had been orphaned in a car wreck and one partially paralyzed, whom JJ had played wheelchair basketball with a few days before. They had asked JJ to give them a signal if he got a sack, and that's what the sack celebration was.

Absolutely dominant again all day. Dont think he recorded a sack but he had countless pressures. Came from every spot on the DL. The pick-six of course was the capper. Would love to see Clowney back with him and then acquire some fast LBs in the offseason. Never seen anyone better...

I saw a statistic today that Watt personally had more hits on our QB today than Chicago and Miami and San Diego combined. It sure seemed that way regardless, and he pretty much single-handedly won the game for Houston today.

They called him for hitting the QB low....just hustling and falling off balance as he beat the lineman IMO. Hit him in the hip/side once and about at the thigh pad once. Not like he blatantly went after a knee. Considering the way the NFL babies offensive players Im surprised he doesnt get more. Guy just has a non-stop motor.

Watt did not like the fact that Andre closed the TD gap on him, so he decided to add to his total.

Saddens me that they're wasting years of his prime with garbage at QB. Clowney may turn out to be great but they really should have grabbed a QB last draft.

Rotoworld:

J.J. Watt wreaked havoc in the Texans' Week 6 loss to the Colts, ringing up two sacks, three swatted passes and a fumble return for a touchdown.

The Colts — like every other team in the NFL — simply had no answer for Watt as he nearly single-handedly brought the Texans back from a 24-0 first-half deficit. Watt now has fumble, interception and receiving scores on the season, and we're only in Week 6. There's a chance Watt could become the first defensive player since Lawrence Taylor in 1986 to win the NFL MVP award.

Oct 9 - 11:57 PM

Andrew Luck on fire as Colts knock off Texans

Excerpt:

If not for the Texans' 14-game losing streak last season, we would be discussing the probability of a third consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award for J.J. Watt. As much as any one defender can, Watt almost single-handedly shut down the Colts offense in the second half. Six weeks in, he's already the first player since 1961 with a receiving touchdown, fumble return touchdown and pick-six in the same season. Boxscores don't come any more stuffed for defensive stars, as Watt generated seven tackles, a pair of sacks, four quarterback hits, three pass deflections and a fumble recovery all the while dominating in run defense. Every week we repeat the same line: We have never seen a defensive player consistently take over a game to the extent Watt has.

Best player in the NFL, imo.
:yes: perhaps the only non-QB who belongs among the top 5 players in the league.

Plus, he seems to be a really good dude.

As a Titans fan :bag: it makes me uncomfortable but he's become my favorite player in sports (over Peyton).

Andrew Luck on fire as Colts knock off Texans

Excerpt:

Every week we repeat the same line: We have never seen a defensive player consistently take over a game to the extent Watt has.
I'm not saying that's a completely ridiculous claim to make, but it's certainly debatable. Lawrence Taylor has to be in that discussion. And there are likely a handful of others who were equally as dominant.

I guess the key word in there might be "consistently" and it's hard to argue against it since we have so many more stats tracked these days than before. For example, we don't really know how many PD, FF, or even tackles that LT had. We can't look at his game logs and see a player consistently taking over a game unless he registers a sack or INT in a game.

Watt is obviously off to a great start and I agree he deserves MVP consideration. But, to say we've "never" seen this kind of dominance before probably isn't entirely accurate.

Will be the LEAGUE MVP if the Texans win their division.

This is an amazing run he is on and I shudder to think what he would be doing if he had the rule system that Reggie White and L.T. played in.

If he were allowed to destroy QBs without penalties for breathing in their general direction, this would feel like the '85 Bears when you went into a game just praying your qbs (yes, plural) survived the game.

Haven't seen a defender playing at this level in, well, I can't remember a time honestly. Maybe charles Woodson a few years back, making plays all over?

Really amazing to watch. Just refuses to be stopped. He was double/triple teamed half the night and those are the #s he put up.

Haven't seen a defender playing at this level in, well, I can't remember a time honestly. Maybe charles Woodson a few years back, making plays all over?

Really amazing to watch. Just refuses to be stopped. He was double/triple teamed half the night and those are the #s he put up.
Polamalu in his prime

LT always should be mentioned

Deion took half the field away

But Watt is right up there.

If you play IDP, you understand how he is in a tier all by himself...
In my 10 team dynasty IDP league he currently has outscored every non-QB on 6 of the 10 rosters. Of course, he's done so with 1 additional game than 90% of the players have had, but still.

Can someone explain to me how Watts is uncoverable??? Like why don't teams double team him every play.

Can someone explain to me how Watts is uncoverable??? Like why don't teams double team him every play.
uncoverable or unblockable? he's the best defensive player I've seen since probably Lawrence Taylor. So teams block him with 2 guys and he still does his thing.

uncoverable or unblockable? he's the best defensive player I've seen since probably Lawrence Taylor. So teams block him with 2 guys and he still does his thing.
Sorry yeah. Unblockable. I think you are right. He can't be stopped. It's awesome.
He's as unstoppable as the legendary demon Balrog

Users who are viewing this thread