What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

I think after JJ Watt gets back from his back injury he will have to wear one of those black back support vests that movers and warehousemen wear. It will look great over his uniform.

I think after if JJ Watt gets back from his back injury he will have to wear one of those black back support vests that movers and warehousemen wear. It will look great over his uniform.
Not to be pessimistic but it's not a lock that he returns to the field. 

2nd best in the division.  But probably average in ff and overall. I wouldn't draft them, maybe a stream play. 

Cushing is injured, Clowney has potential but isn't a difference maker yet.  Maybe I'm underestimsting someone but they don't have impact guys other than watt.
Agreed.

Watt was the disruptive force that made that whole defense click IMO.  Someone else will have to step up but I think this puts their D from a top half starting option to right around streaming level.

J.J. Watt (back) said he "feels fantastic."

Watt won a Home Run Derby playing softball at his charity event on Saturday. The three-time Defensive Player of the Year sat out most of last season after undergoing multiple back surgeries and admitted he may have tried to come back too soon. Watt said his core is "as tight and locked in as it can get," so obviously he's been able to stay in shape throughout his rehab process. He won't be a full-go at OTAs but Watt shouldn't have any restrictions going into training camp.

Source: Houston Chronicle 
May 14 - 11:10 AM

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports J.J. Watt (knee) "crushed" his conditioning test on Monday.

Fresh off making waves with a social media post that had him looking like The Incredible Hulk, Watt is now ready to get in a full camp after his 2017 season ended in Week 5. Back and knee woes have limited Watt to just eight combined games over the past two years after he had previously never missed a contest. Now 29, Watt still has an enormous ceiling, but he is coming back with a lot of mileage and wear and tear.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 24 - 1:42 PM

Texans placed DE J.J. Watt on the active/PUP.

Watt underwent a cleanup knee surgery soon after the Texans were bounced from the 2018 NFL Playoffs, so this could be the Texans taking a cautious approach with their superstar. Watt can be activated at any time and isn't in danger of missing games as far as we know. Despite numerous injuries, Watt racked up 16.0 sacks in 2018.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 21, 2019, 4:42 PM ET

J.J. Watt - DL - Houston Texans

Texans designated J.J. Watt (pectoral) to return from injured reserve.

The team now has a 21-day window to activate Watt or leave him sidelined for the rest of the year. He'll practice ahead of Week 17 with an eye towards returning for Wild Card weekend. It's obviously impactful news for Houston's defense as that unit has been pummeled for 144.1 rushing yards per game without Watt since Week 9, totaling just 14 sacks in that span. He's fully expected to suit up this postseason only two months after tearing his pec muscle — typically a 3-4 month recovery.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 24, 2019, 10:10 AM ET

J.J. Watt (pectoral) will be active for Saturday's Wild Card game against the Bills.

The Texans opened Watt's practice window last Tuesday and officially designated him to return today. Saturday will be his first appearance since Week 8. It's been a brisk recovery from a serious injury for Watt, though he will undoubtedly be on a strict snap count for the playoffs. The Texans are in "whatever contribution is a bonus" territory with their longtime defensive linchpin.

Dec 31, 2019, 4:27 PM ET

Coach Bill O'Brien said DT J.J. Watt (pec) will "be in there quite a bit" for the Texans' Wild Card matchup against the Bills.

Watt's presence is great news for the Texans' chances at slowing down Devin Singletary and company. The Bills have fed their talented rookie RB at least 15 touches in six consecutive games. The problem is that the pass-game usage has been inconsistent, and Allen's aforementioned status as the league's biggest vulture other than Taysom Hill makes it tough to expect much from Singletary in the scoring department.

SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twitter

Jan 2, 2020, 12:32 PM ET

NFL Network's James Palmer reports J.J. Watt "will play a lot more snaps" than expected.

Watt hasn't seen the field in two months while recovering from with his torn pec. He held up in padded practice Wednesday, leading the Texans to remove him from the injury report. Watt's snaps still figure to be monitored in his first game back, but it won't be surprising if he plays close to an every down role.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Jan 4, 2020, 10:20 AM ET

I heard an interesting discussion this week- starts off with JJ Watt is the best defensive player of the last decade, then is he? Or does he have the best reputation?

No doubt he was a dominant force for some years, but I lean toward the latter. Everyone knows he's out and when he returns like few other players in sports, but...his play, I don't know that he's been the best the last few years. 

What do you guys think?

I heard an interesting discussion this week- starts off with JJ Watt is the best defensive player of the last decade, then is he? Or does he have the best reputation?

No doubt he was a dominant force for some years, but I lean toward the latter. Everyone knows he's out and when he returns like few other players in sports, but...his play, I don't know that he's been the best the last few years. 

What do you guys think?
Tough call but with all the injuries he has had over the last few years, it certainly hurts his case.

But if not him, who? I think it would be between these guys IMO:

Watt, Donald (not enough years played IMO), Kuechly, Miller, Peterson, Sherman, Mack (again, too few years IMO), and Wagner.

I think I’d still go with Watt. He’s still a good player when healthy, and he was SO dominant for a stretch that I think he earns it. I think my other top 3 would be Miller and Sherman (barely over Kuechly).

What do you guys think?
Had Donald not have been a force of nature in 2018, Watt would have had a shot at another DPOY. 2nd in the league in sacks behind Donald, 1st in forced fumbles, top 10 in QB hits as well as TFLs, all just after coming off two years lost to bad injuries. PFF rated him the 3rd best edge defender in the league for all of 2018. :shrug:

Watt may not be who he was before the injuries but that still seems pretty dang elite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Donald not have been a force of nature in 2018, Watt would have had a shot at another DPOY. 2nd in the league in sacks behind Donald, 1st in forced fumbles, top 10 in QB hits as well as TFLs, all just after coming off two years lost to bad injuries. PFF rated him the 3rd best edge defender in the league for all of 2018. :shrug:

Watt may not be who he was before the injuries but that still seems pretty dang elite.
Really? Hmm thanks. My memory did not have him rocking in 2018, good to know

J.J. Watt will not request a revised contract or extension this offseason.

"I think that I fully understand... what's happened in the past few years," Watt said. "So I'm not going to sit here and demand anything." What Watt is referring to is playing just 32 regular season games over the last four seasons due to numerous injuries. He did return in time for the 2019-20 playoffs, recovering from a torn pec in two months. Watt has two years remaining on his contract with little guaranteed money left on the deal. At 31 years of age, Watt says his goal is to retire as a member of the Texans organization.

SOURCE: Sports Radio 610

May 27, 2020, 1:48 PM ET

J.J. Watt admits he's uncertain if he will be back with the Texans in 2021. 

“There’s a whole lot of unknowns, so we’ll see what happens," Watt said Thursday. "I don't have any guarantees left in my contract, so something’s gotta happen one way or another.” Watt has expressed frustration with the only organization he's only known in recent days, and the sides going their separate ways would clear $17.5 million in cap space while leaving behind $0 in dead money. Three months shy of his 32nd birthday, Watt has only five sacks this season but has generated plenty of pressure. He would be in high demand as a pass rusher/locker room presence. 

SOURCE: Aaron Reiss on Twitter 

Dec 31, 2020, 5:55 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "the sense" is the Texans could move on from J.J. Watt this offseason.

Watt has no guarantees left on the six year, $100 million extension he signed in 2014. He's under contract through next season, but Houston can clear $17.5 million in cap space from releasing or trading Watt. With the Texans overhauling their front office and coaching staff, it wouldn't be surprising if they parted ways with Watt, who expressed frustration with the organization and was the driving force behind Bill O'Brien's firing. 32-year-old Watt would have no shortage of interested teams if the Texans make him available.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 30, 2021, 10:53 AM ET

I truly, truly hate my team right now. I mean come on - no compensation? I don't think they really want any fans anymore and the burndown will be complete.

Yeah, I dont get this at all.  I get that they want to do right by him (especially with the current reputation of the team) and let him pick his spot. But for a rebuilding team to pass up a draft pick (I gotta think they could get at least a 4 from a team trying to add pieces to a contender) just seems dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread