What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

In case anyone is wondering if he’s still got it, posted this last month in Texans thread:

Thought this was interesting for Watt:

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1351998400439455745?s=21

One of the most double-teamed and still successful pass rushers in the league. Texans just have no one else opposing offenses have to account for leading to Watt’s reduced headline stats/numbers. If he does get traded somewhere wouldn’t be surprised to see people talking about his “resurgence” next year.

Edit: how do you do quote tags with the board upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta think at this point he wants a guaranteed shot at playoffs at a minimum.....probably someone that can actually advance deep into the playoffs....Bucs have so many elite free agents they want to "bring back"....just not sure that's the spot..

Unfortunately the teams that make the most logical sense for him are either short on cap space like KC or GB or PITT, or don’t really need him like TB with their already studly d-line. He’s made good money over his career so we may very well see him take a smaller contract just to go to a contender.

Todd from Utah said:
Yeah, I dont get this at all.  I get that they want to do right by him (especially with the current reputation of the team) and let him pick his spot. But for a rebuilding team to pass up a draft pick (I gotta think they could get at least a 4 from a team trying to add pieces to a contender) just seems dumb.
Is JJ Watt worth 10% of a team's cap space right now? Who is trading for him?

I could totally see Watt signing with TB now and playing for a ring, Long Jr tried signing on late in his career with Playoff teams expected to make a deep run, Watt certainly could help the Bucs as part of their 2021 Pass Rush plans. 

I don't think Watt is still worth $17.5M, there might be a team willing to play him close to that but it won't be a Playoff team and I think that's what he desires at this point above all else. 

gotta think at this point he wants a guaranteed shot at playoffs at a minimum.....probably someone that can actually advance deep into the playoffs....Bucs have so many elite free agents they want to "bring back"....just not sure that's the spot..
Bucs could cut Gholston, who plays the same edge and sign JJ for likely a similar amount. 

Gholston is set to make 5.5 next year but no dead money if he’s cut. So the Bucs could upgrade to JJ for just another 4.5 theoretically. 

Is JJ Watt worth 10% of a team's cap space right now? Who is trading for him?

I could totally see Watt signing with TB now and playing for a ring, Long Jr tried signing on late in his career with Playoff teams expected to make a deep run, Watt certainly could help the Bucs as part of their 2021 Pass Rush plans. 

I don't think Watt is still worth $17.5M, there might be a team willing to play him close to that but it won't be a Playoff team and I think that's what he desires at this point above all else. 
PFF estimates JJ will get 2/20

Unfortunately the teams that make the most logical sense for him are either short on cap space like KC or GB or PITT, or don’t really need him like TB with their already studly d-line. He’s made good money over his career so we may very well see him take a smaller contract just to go to a contender.
Shaq Barrett is a free agent and his current market value is close to about $20M per year right now...do I think he would play for say $15M per year for the Bucs? Maybe if it's got multiple years and a huge signing bonus but Watt might be able to play for say $10M per year, still have JPP on the other side and the Bucs have working capital to do anything else they need like bring Godwin back. Again, the Bucs have tons of flexibility in whatever they do. They hold the cards right now. 

PFF estimates JJ will get 2/20
Exactly, He's likely $10M per year, maybe a little less if it's a Playoff team and I could agree with others that his number might actually go up with the kind of defense the Bucs run...but it should be noted that Watt isn't an OLB, he's not a 3-4 DE and the Bucs would have to change a few things of he were on the field. But I bet he would play for an affordable price. 

Exactly, He's likely $10M per year, maybe a little less if it's a Playoff team and I could agree with others that his number might actually go up with the kind of defense the Bucs run...but it should be noted that Watt isn't an OLB, he's not a 3-4 DE and the Bucs would have to change a few things of he were on the field. But I bet he would play for an affordable price. 
He plays 3-4 end doesn’t he? Same spot Gholston plays. 

He plays 3-4 end doesn’t he? Same spot Gholston plays. 
I see what you're saying. Gholston is $5.5M and costs almost nothing to release, then you cut one of those $6M TEs and you easily have the money to bring him in. Watt is a leader, not that the Bucs really need that on Defense but he would fit like a glove and the combo of Watt/Brady leading the way, it's hard to imagine those two in the same building and team meetings. Watt is a Hall of Fame player all the way, a ring would simply cement him as a 1st ballot. 

Brady, Gronk, Watt, Brown/Evans and I know Brown will never be elected because he's nuts but he really had a HoF like career, Evans 7 seasons in a row 1,000+ yds to start his career, that's a HoF resume in the making. The Bucs could be a team with multiple future Hall of Famers on it. 

I see what you're saying. Gholston is $5.5M and costs almost nothing to release, then you cut one of those $6M TEs and you easily have the money to bring him in. Watt is a leader, not that the Bucs really need that on Defense but he would fit like a glove and the combo of Watt/Brady leading the way, it's hard to imagine those two in the same building and team meetings. Watt is a Hall of Fame player all the way, a ring would simply cement him as a 1st ballot. 

Brady, Gronk, Watt, Brown/Evans and I know Brown will never be elected because he's nuts but he really had a HoF like career, Evans 7 seasons in a row 1,000+ yds to start his career, that's a HoF resume in the making. The Bucs could be a team with multiple future Hall of Famers on it. 
Kind of hard to believe, but yes. This Bucs run doesn’t need JJ to get any more fun but I’m not opposed to it lol. 

Niners need DL help more than Tampa Bay. I have to believe if Watt is still interested in playing he’s going to want to see the field more than a handful of snaps. 

Decent chance of making the playoffs with a healthy SF roster, too. 

As a Niners fan I’d love to see it. 

Niners need DL help more than Tampa Bay. I have to believe if Watt is still interested in playing he’s going to want to see the field more than a handful of snaps. 

Decent chance of making the playoffs with a healthy SF roster, too. 

As a Niners fan I’d love to see it. 
:confused:  he would be a day 1 every down starter for the Bucs. 

He would? They have Suh & Vea, plus Gholston & JPP - who’ve collectively been among the best DL in the league in 2020. 

who does he supplant? Why would they invest in Watt when they have such a solid unit?

I know every year every FA is rumored to be headed to the SB winner, but I’d think they would use that $ to address weaknesses elsewhere. 

I was going to pounce on that post but wanted to give at least some thought but yeah I am in total agreement. Watt is a Day 1 starter and I could see them doing a managed workload at times but he would see the field a lot. And if somehow Shaq comes back to go with JPP and you are bringing those guys most of the time on all 3 downs, good luck trying to find time and throw down the field. 

Bucs would never give up more than 20 if that, this team could make a run at 14-15 wins, that's the kind of presence Watt could bring walking in the door. This guy has won Defensive Player of the Year multiple times now, he just plays for a poor organization. He would be like a kid in the candy store coming to Tampa. 

It would be the biggest splash I could remember for team fresh off the Super Bowl parade. It's unheard of having someone of that magnitude potentially falling in your lap. It's like Brady falling in their lap sorta speak. I am all for Watt coming in, wish he would sign in Miami but he doesn't want to wait for that offense to develop, he wants to win right now.   

He would? They have Suh & Vea, plus Gholston & JPP - who’ve collectively been among the best DL in the league in 2020. 

who does he supplant? Why would they invest in Watt when they have such a solid unit?

I know every year every FA is rumored to be headed to the SB winner, but I’d think they would use that $ to address weaknesses elsewhere. 
Suh is a free agent and they paid him about $8M last year. Vea is entering Year 4 possibly and is going to need to be extended. JPP is really an Edge guy and floats. 

Just fyi...

Read up above. They can upgrade from Gholston to Watt for 4-5M. Also, if they want to keep Gholston there is also a very good chance Suh retires, as they are set to have twins. And Suh is an UFA anyways. 

Vea and JPP don’t play the same position as Watt. 

I was going to pounce on that post but wanted to give at least some thought but yeah I am in total agreement. Watt is a Day 1 starter and I could see them doing a managed workload at times but he would see the field a lot. And if somehow Shaq comes back to go with JPP and you are bringing those guys most of the time on all 3 downs, good luck trying to find time and throw down the field. 

Bucs would never give up more than 20 if that, this team could make a run at 14-15 wins, that's the kind of presence Watt could bring walking int he door. This guy has won Defensive Player of the Year multiple times now, he just plays for a poor organization. He would be like a kid int he candy store coming to Tampa. 

It would be the biggest splash I could remember for team fresh off the Super Bowl parade. It's unheard of having someone of that magnitude potentially falling in your lap. It's like Brady falling in their lap sorta speak. I am all for Watt coming in, wish he would sign in Miami but he doesn't want to wait for that offense to develop, he wants to win right now.   
I see your points, but just don’t think DL is a priority for TB. 

Looking at 2020 I’m surprised to see Watt played ~90% of snaps. I watched many of their games since I had D.Watson & there were more than a few games he was clearly not 100%. I don’t think it’s in any teams best interest to play him that much - Texans are so badly mismanaged, I’m not sure it ever occurred to them to manage his workload.

I agree he’d be scary good as a part of TB’s line. I’m just not sure they need him to win. 

Bucs would never give up more than 20 if that, this team could make a run at 14-15 wins, that's the kind of presence Watt could bring walking int he door. This guy has won Defensive Player of the Year multiple times now, he just plays for a poor organization. He would be like a kid int he candy store coming to Tampa. 

Saw odds that have the Bucs second to get him after Pitt, but an NFL reporter said he’d have to play for the minimum to go to Pitt. And they aren’t a SB contender. Still, the allure of playing with his brothers is surely strong. 

I’m aware. I was more making the point that their DL had enough talent that they might want to invest elsewhere. 

But I didn’t realize Suh was leaving. 
Yea if Suh comes back they’ll be fine of course, I’d say it’s 50/50 he does right now. Twins due in the next month, he’s played for a decade and won a ring. He kept saying he’s looking forward to being a dad, etc. 

No State Income Tax in Florida 

Something he is used to coming from Texas, can't imagine he wants to not only take a little less money but also start forking over larger % of his player salary and endorsement money on top of that...

:whistle:

I forgot he’s from Wisconsin. Going there and helping Rodgers get over the hump makes a lot of sense too. They’re way over the cap but sure they can make it work. 

He has no connection to Tampa other than Wisconsin playing in the Outback Bowl every year. 

This is probably a good time for the Colts to spend some of that huge cap if they feel he has a few years of top play left in him.  I'm sure he would look at the Colts as an attractive landing spot given their current team, if they also fix their QB issues.

No State Income Tax in Florida 

Something he is used to coming from Texas, can't imagine he wants to not only take a little less money but also start forking over his player salary and endorsement money on top of that...

:whistle:
I’m sure every player considers that when looking at Miami. 

I’m not sure they’re quite as super bowl-ready as Watt’s looking for at this point. 

Tua was less than impressive down the stretch. They’re on the rise, absolutely. Are they “attract aging superstar looking for a ring” at this point? 🤔 

I wonder if this changes at all if the Niners manage to get Watson. Just saw that he’s interested in playing in SF. 
Full on hi-jack in progress...let's discuss this because as a Phinsfan I have to believe that nobody could offer the Houston Texans more than what the Miami Dolphins can produce. Miami could easily trade X.Howard who wants a pay raise coming off 10 interceptions and an All Pro year, add in Tua and then they have 4 picks in the Top 50 this year...if Houston cannot squeeze a deal from Miami while they are in total rebuild mode now, it concerns me as a Phinsfan because it must mean Miami isn't interested in a trade...what could San Fran offer for Watson? They couldn't possibly have more trade chips than the Phins or the Jets I will add in.  

It's disturbing when I hear potential teams in trade talks with Houston not named Miami...and I am a firm believer that Houston should never trade Watson but they have possibly the worst owner in football right now. I've never seen a team fall from potential grace so fast and it's still unraveling. So if Watson truly is not going to be on the Texans and Miami who is loaded with trade chips cannot make a deal...OOF!

I’m sure every player considers that when looking at Miami. 

I’m not sure they’re quite as super bowl-ready as Watt’s looking for at this point. 

Tua was less than impressive down the stretch. They’re on the rise, absolutely. Are they “attract aging superstar looking for a ring” at this point? 🤔 
Tampa!

I root for both teams but was born Miami, lived in Tampa from 18-27, met my wife there at 18, lot of history there, my son lives in St Pete, it's my 2nd team and this Brady thing has been an emotional roller coaster from hating the guy all those years in New England. 

They couldn't get anything in return for him? Not even a seventh rounder in 2022?

Edit: I guess nobody wanted to take on the contract.

what could San Fran offer for Watson? They couldn't possibly have more trade chips than the Phins or the Jets I will add in.  

It's disturbing when I hear potential teams in trade talks with Houston not named Miami...and I am a firm believer that Houston should never trade Watson but they have possibly the worst owner in football right now. I've never seen a team fall from potential grace so fast and it's still unraveling. So if Watson truly is not going to be on the Texans and Miami who is loaded with trade chips cannot make a deal...OOF!
What I’ve heard in discussions on local radio is that it might take picks, Garapolo, Kinlaw and maybe a Bosa or Kittle ( 🤢). 

I would be on board with almost anything except Kittle. If they get Watson at the price of defense then they need all the offensive weapons they can get.

and while Bosa & Kinlaw are studs, Watson is a young, elite QB. It would hurt to lose either of those guys, much less both - but through gritted teeth I’d say go fro it. It’s a QB league. Either you’ve got one or you ain’t. 

Miami doesn’t make sense for the fact that Watson likely doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild. That’s my gut take. They probably do have the most equity to get it done. But the player has to want to play there. They’ve shown 1/2 a season of competence in the last what, decade? Why would Watson see Miami as an upgrade? 

Tampa!

I root for both teams but was born Miami, lived in Tampa from 18-27, met my wife there at 18, lot of history there, my son lives in St Pete, it's my 2nd team and this Brady thing has been an emotional roller coaster from hating the guy all those years in New England. 
Oh! My bad. When I see “Miami” I think “Dolphins”. :lol:  

Packers most logical fit - he played college ball at Wisconsin. They can make enough moves to be able to sign him (cut Preston Smith)

he would probably love chance to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh but that team is going to wrong way.
I agree, Green Bay is a logical place for him and the combo of he and Aaron Rodgers teaming up is quite a thought. There is history of course because of Reggie White who was perhaps more in his prime. I felt like it would be either Green Bay or Tampa Bay and mainly the Bucs just because of all the talent that would be assembled and he could be a major part of. 

As a Texans fan, my gut reaction is he heads home to play for Green Bay. He's always said for a long time that he's a Wisconsin boy playing in Texas. GB is on the cusp and is home so it won't surprise me one bit to see him go there and ride out the end with Rodgers too.

If he doesn't go there, for us Texans fans it'll be the next universe is trying to continue to make us miserable and have him land with the arch rival Colts. That'd be fitting with him kicking our asses there for the next couple of years.

They couldn't get anything in return for him? Not even a seventh rounder in 2022?

Texans agreed to release him due to respect, loyalty, history, etc. Bad business sense but not the first time a team has done that for the face of a franchise.

Terrible idea considering how bad a shape they are in, even a token late pick from whatever team he wanted to go to would have been better IMO. Like Gronk’s rights being traded to Tampa.

I don't believe that.  There's a handful of teams with cap space (Colts for instance) and they can always sign him to a new more team friendly contract.

This reeks of Texans gonna Texan to me.
I posted earlier but $17M or whatever, that's like 10% of the cap for a team and at this stage of his career, not really worth it for most teams. But I also feel like they could have gotten something in a trade for him, think the Texans are cutting pay roll right now.  

Texans agreed to release him due to respect, loyalty, history, etc. Bad business sense but not the first time a team has done that for the face of a franchise.

Terrible idea considering how bad a shape they are in, even a token late pick from whatever team he wanted to go to would have been better IMO. Like Gronk’s rights being traded to Tampa.
They couldn’t have asked him where he wanted to go and worked out a trade? Is there anybody home in Houston?

They couldn’t have asked him where he wanted to go and worked out a trade? Is there anybody home in Houston?
Supposedly there were trade offers for Watt, Fuller, Cooks and other guys at the deadline last season. Could have recouped a few picks, even if late, and gotten a little salary relief. They refused to part with anybody. Just all kinds of dumb going on with their owner and Easterby.

The Bills will be making a play for him no doubt. They just saw TB use a similar defensive strategy against KC that Buf did with massively different results. 

A key difference?  The Bills got no pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread