What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

Interesting choice. If he wanted a chance at a championship that was probably not the team to choose.
Why do you say that? They have one of the best young QBs in the league and a great offense. Yes, they need to get better on defense, but Watt and the draft will both help. 

Why do you say that? They have one of the best young QBs in the league and a great offense. Yes, they need to get better on defense, but Watt and the draft will both help. 
I think he probably just means that the Cardinals are not in the top 5 ... heck not even in the top 10 for teams likely to win a championship.

They are currently 18th in Super Bowl odds.

Jury is still very much out on that statement.

He played for an awful Houston Texans for his career and yet picked a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 5 years and has made the playoffs fewer times in the last two decades than the Texans have. Even if you believe in Kyler turning things around for the franchise, it’s an odd choice given the supposed many other suitors that are much better shots at winning. Maybe Hopkins smooth talked him into coming there?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many other teams that offer a better chance to win a championship than Arizona. I don’t blame him at all but I think he took the most money he could get.

Murray needs to greatly improve his decision making.

Arizona will be lucky to make the playoffs in the next two years.  Watt isn't putting them over the top.  They have a lot of holes.
Right.

Rams are more likely to win the division. If he wanted the best chance to win a ring, Green Bay or Buffalo were better choices.

AZ has a decent shot, just not the best from the teams rumored to have been interested.   

He was obviously sold on their plans going forward and he isn't playing on last years team, he's playing on next years team.

Those future plans, and the expectation that their raw potential develops further must have been pretty convincing. 

He was obviously sold on their plans going forward and he isn't playing on last years team, he's playing on next years team.

Those future plans, and the expectation that their raw potential develops further must have been pretty convincing. 
And the guaranteed money appears to have a lot to do with it.

I think Cardinals can surprise like the Browns did but they are not a championship contender as constructed. Their division is also very talented from top to bottom.

Decided to take a bigger payday and recoup per season close to what he was making in Houston, apparently his market value which was projected around $10M, Arizona way overpaid and Watt stands no chance in the desert of reaching the Super Bowl with Coach KK vs Shanahan, McVay and Carroll, glad JJ wanted to collect some more money before he donates that last season before he retires and maybe he can find his way on to a winning team. 

This doesn't put Arizona in the driver seat or anywhere close to the team to beat, they thirsted for leadership and got it but don't expect Arizona to suddenly become Super Bowl favs. 

I did not expect to think this, but I'm actually somewhat glad the Titans didn't cough up this money for Watt. 

Future HOF without a doubt. Possibly even a really good mentor for younger players, all around great guy, one of the truly good guys in the game, probably will be good for the local area for the charity work he does. But I don't think he was worth this contract for his on field impact.

It's one thing to take less money to try and win a ring.  It's another thing to take less money to try and win a ring with Cleveland, or Buffalo, Indy.  I mean, are you joking?  

The oddsmakers say they have a better chance to win than AZ.  OK, great?  Take millions less to hitch your final years with Wentz in Indy?  

His chances are SO much better with those teams, that have been also-rans for years, that he should take less? 

Ha, no.  

Just read a report that the Browns and Colts offered more money than the Cardinals, and the Titans offered similar money. If that’s the case, it kind of debunks a lot of what you guys are saying about he just wanted the money, no? I do think the Cardinals are being underestimated here. We’re talking about a team that two years ago was literally the worst in football and just came within the final game of the season or making the playoffs. 

Just read a report that the Browns and Colts offered more money than the Cardinals, and the Titans offered similar money. If that’s the case, it kind of debunks a lot of what you guys are saying about he just wanted the money, no? I do think the Cardinals are being underestimated here. We’re talking about a team that two years ago was literally the worst in football and just came within the final game of the season or making the playoffs. 
They can go 10-6 next year, sure. They absolutely are not winning the super bowl. In the nfc alone the Bucs, Packers, Rams are all significantly better and the Niners, Seahawks, Saints and even the Vikings are all probably still better. 

It's one thing to take less money to try and win a ring.  It's another thing to take less money to try and win a ring with Cleveland, or Buffalo, Indy.  I mean, are you joking?  

The oddsmakers say they have a better chance to win than AZ.  OK, great?  Take millions less to hitch your final years with Wentz in Indy?  

His chances are SO much better with those teams, that have been also-rans for years, that he should take less? 

Ha, no.  
Who said he should have? People are just pointing out, rightly so IMO, that he didn't go to a team that would have given him the best chance at winning. so it certainly doesn't seem like that was at the top of his list.

One of the things that I like best about in the NFL is the ability for teams to make huge jumps from year to year. After all, NFL has been equated to not for long.

I realize that the NFC West is a very tough division right now, but Arizona has made huge strides over the pass three season:

1. 2018 - record of 3-13 and they scored 200 points less than their opponents
  2. 2019 - record of 5-10-1 and they scored 81 points less than their opponents
  3. 2020 - record of 8-8 and they scored 43 points more than their opponents
They are not favorites by any means, but their improvement year to year is impressive and J.J. Watt deserves the opportunity to choose for himself where he signs to play. Maybe he sees something a lot of us don't that marks this as a his best opportunity. Regardless, his signing is awesome in that it has sparked so many opinions as to why he chose there and not another place. 

Don't you just love the NFL and their "off-season"?

There are many other teams that offer a better chance to win a championship than Arizona. I don’t blame him at all but I think he took the most money he could get.

Murray needs to greatly improve his decision making.

@CharlesRobinson

Unless the #Colts, #Browns and #Titans are straight up lying, this is not what I’ve been told. I’ve been told by multiple Watt suitors that the $23 million guaranteed in Watt’s Arizona deal was near ceiling for their total $. Teams were trying to get Watt for roughly $12 mil per.

John Gambadoro@Gambo987

The deal JJ Watt signed with the Cardinals was NOT the most he was offered. The Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts each offered more money. Tennessee's offer was very similar.

---------------------------------------------------------

Chris Cannon@IUCannon

I'm willing to bet it's a situation where it's being skewed about the total max. Sounds like Arizona guaranteed significantly more but there may have been higher max amounts from others when including incentives & bonuses

They can go 10-6 next year, sure. They absolutely are not winning the super bowl. In the nfc alone the Bucs, Packers, Rams are all significantly better and the Niners, Seahawks, Saints and even the Vikings are all probably still better. 
You don’t know any of that, no more than I do. The Vikings and Niners just had losing seasons. Did you have the Bucs in the Super Bowl, much less winning it, after they got walloped by the Saints by 35 points in Week 9 last year? Probably not. Things change extremely fast in this league. Look at Miami. I’m just saying I’ll trust the judgment of a future HOF player more times than not over a random Joe like myself on a forum. 

They can have him for that kind of money.  Hasn't he been injury prone?
He has been injury prone but when he plays it is still at an elite level both as a pass rusher and against the run. If they somehow re-sign reddick it will be tough to double team either of Watt, Reddick, or Chandler Jones, they will have an excellent pass rush.

You don’t know any of that, no more than I do. The Vikings and Niners just had losing seasons. Did you have the Bucs in the Super Bowl, much less winning it, after they got walloped by the Saints by 35 points in Week 9 last year? Probably not. Things change extremely fast in this league. Look at Miami. I’m just saying I’ll trust the judgment of a future HOF player more times than not over a random Joe like myself on a forum. 
How are they going to remake their entire offensive line that fast? Things don’t change fast in the league because fans want them to, it takes time. That is not a super bowl caliber team despite their shiny parts. You don’t have to believe me, you can believe JJ, I truly don’t care at all. Check back next year and we’ll see. 

And I am sure other teams might have offered more money but I highly doubt any team offered more guaranteed money.

And again, Watt doesn’t need to feel bad because he took the most money. I don’t think he ever said he wanted to only go to the team that offers him best shot at a championship either. I think that was assumed.

True, we can't "know" that, but your examples aren't good comparisons at all IMO. The Bucs replaced a terrible QB with the GOAT, and Miami replaced a horrid coaching staff and added 3 1st round picks (and still didn't even make the playoffs). The Cards won't be doing either of those, and signing Watt may mean they can't sign Reddick and/or Peterson, so even their pass rush/defense may not be an improvement over last year. They also have the most roster spots to fill in the NFL and not a lot of money to do it with.

It would be shocking IMO if they were serious contenders for a championship in the next two years.

True, we can't "know" that, but your examples aren't good comparisons at all IMO. The Bucs replaced a terrible QB with the GOAT, and Miami replaced a horrid coaching staff and added 3 1st round picks (and still didn't even make the playoffs). The Cards won't be doing either of those, and signing Watt may mean they can't sign Reddick and/or Peterson, so even their pass rush/defense may not be an improvement over last year. They also have the most roster spots to fill in the NFL and not a lot of money to do it with.

It would be shocking IMO if they were serious contenders for a championship in the next two years.
I guess their 23 year-old number 1 overall pick QB that was in the MVP discussion for a duration of the season last year can’t make another leap? Oh okay. 

I guess their 23 year-old number 1 overall pick QB that was in the MVP discussion for a duration of the season last year can’t make another leap? Oh okay. 
Sure. Winning 10 games and making the playoffs in the next 2 years with an uneven roster is the leap. Winning 12-13 and a Super  Bowl isn’t even remotely realistic. 

I remember when Reggie White, one of the first ever big FA's in the history of NFL free agency, signed with the Packers in 1993 at 31 years of age. White famously said God told him to go to Green Bay, but the Packers were coincidentally also the team that offered the best financial package. There was a ton of speculation as to where he would go and why (there was a famous SI cover with White surrounded by the helmets of various teams that were chasing him.) The Packers did not make the playoffs in '92, had a new coaching staff and were unsettled at quarterback with a new kid out of Kiln Mississippi having just joined the team.  White was widely mocked for moving to the northern tundra "for the money" but there he was, a few years later, hoisting a Lombardi.  I'll never criticize a player's career decisions. We don't know what drives their decisions, but salary is certainly a legitimate reason to accept a job.  

I remember when Reggie White, one of the first ever big FA's in the history of NFL free agency, signed with the Packers in 1993 at 31 years of age. White famously said God told him to go to Green Bay, but the Packers were coincidentally also the team that offered the best financial package. There was a ton of speculation as to where he would go and why (there was a famous SI cover with White surrounded by the helmets of various teams that were chasing him.) The Packers did not make the playoffs in '92, had a new coaching staff and were unsettled at quarterback with a new kid out of Kiln Mississippi having just joined the team.  White was widely mocked for moving to the northern tundra "for the money" but there he was, a few years later, hoisting a Lombardi.  I'll never criticize a player's career decisions. We don't know what drives their decisions, but salary is certainly a legitimate reason to accept a job.  
100% it is. I think the most money should be the only consideration. These guys have a limited shelf life to play and should cash in when they can. 

Was he really an MVP candidate though? Maybe for fantasy football. He made some atrocious decisions with the football that cost that team games.

Not saying that he cannot make a giant leap, we just saw Josh Allen do it. 

100% it is. I think the most money should be the only consideration. These guys have a limited shelf life to play and should cash in when they can. 
100% agree on that. Take as much guaranteed money as you can, when you can. Don’t fault JJ Watt for that at all.

Okay buddy. You absolutely missed the point I was making bringing up the Bucs, but I digress. 
I already pointed out why that's irrelevant- yes, things can change quickly if you go from one of the worst to one of the best QBs in the NFL in the offseason. That's not even a possibility for Arizona so it's moot. Yes, Murray can play better next year (or not), but it's simply not possible for him to go from 2019 Winston levels to 2020 Brady levels.

You also mentioned that you'd trust Watt's opinion, but has he even come out and said that he thinks the Cardinals give him the best chance to win? Even if he does it has to be taken with a huge grain of salt considering what else is he going to say, I took the most guaranteed money lol? I'm not criticizing his decision at all by the way, he's free to make his own choice, but there's no good argument that Arizona gives him as good of a chance at winning as some of the rumored options. "You never know, anything can happen" isn't a very compelling argument IMO.

I loved that defensive line- Sean Jones and Reggie White at end, Santana Dotson and Gilbert Brown at D Tackle. Dominant.

AZ has a decent shot, just not the best from the teams rumored to have been interested.   

I do think the Cardinals are being underestimated here. We’re talking about a team that two years ago was literally the worst in football and just came within the final game of the season or making the playoffs. 
And with the JJ Watt move, the Cardinals' Super Bowl Odds have SKYROCKETED all the way up to the 17th most likely team to win it.

Faust said:
Watt confirmed Tuesday he spoke to Tullos and she gave him permission to wear No. 99 for the Cardinals.

"This morning when I woke up, I saw the TMZ report, that's how I got my news, and it said that somebody had reached out to her and she had given the blessing for me to wear 99 and that they would be honored if I would do that," Watt told reporters at his introductory press conference. "I wanted to hear it from her directly, I wanted to have a conversation with her to make sure and confirm that.

"We had a great conversation, she was super sweet, said that she believes her father would be honored and she believes that he was all about the players and so she said that she thought he would want me to wear it. I'm very honored and touched that they thought of me in that way and that I can do that and I told her that I would do everything in my power to honor him and to make him proud and make his legacy proud."

..."As part of this, I want to make sure that people know the name and are aware of Marshall Goldberg and everything that he did, including his time in the Navy in the middle of his NFL career," Watt said. "So, I appreciate that, I appreciate the family and I want to give a big thank you to them."
- I really appreciate this from a professional player, just honor the legacy and the team did as well by reaching out to the family. I'll be pulling for Watt this year, a first class great.

Goldberg played for the last Cards team to win an NFL championship, and the only other player to wear 99 was Bob "The Bomber" Nussbaumer who had 12 picks (!) plus 2 fumble recoveries in 12 games in 1950 (and then never played again). 

https://www.nfl.com/news/j-j-watt-on-signing-with-cardinals-signs-kept-pointing-back-down-here                                                             It’s wild...it’s almost like he had other reasons for choosing Arizona aside from the money. 
I think JJ Watt is an awesome player and  it’s impossible not to root for him - he has done so much for the community.

But there is zero doubt he went to the place that offered the most guaranteed money. And that’s okay, most would do the same thing. Football is a brutal sport and you never know when your career will end. And it’s not like baseball and basketball where the entire contract is guaranteed.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports J.J. Watt needs season-ending shoulder surgery.

Watt was injured last week against the Texans and played the second half with the issue. Ruled out for Week 8 earlier Wednesday, this is now worst-case scenario. The recovery is expected to be three months, so maybe there's an outside shot he could be ready to return sometime during the playoffs if the 7-0 Cardinals make it there and go deep into the postseason. Watt only has one sack this season but is Pro Football Focus' No. 10-graded interior defender with really strong marks for his pass-rushing. It's going to be a big loss.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 27, 2021, 10:48 PM ET

Major loss 

Watt is a walking injury report, at this point he should think about retirement. 

42 games missed over last 5-6 seasons, he can only make it half a season. 

Cardinals GM Steve Keim wouldn't rule out J.J. Watt (shoulder) for the rest of the season.

"As far as I know, there is a possibility of return," said Keim. “I think there are some things in place where we want to play this thing out with a little more time and see how he responds." Watt is expected to miss three months if he undergoes shoulder surgery. Returning in the regular season seems unlikely, but the Cardinals (7-1) are holding out hope for Watt. Even a worst-case scenario should give Watt a chance to be ready for the playoffs.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com

Oct 30, 2021, 9:32 AM ET

Yep. He doesn’t seem like the quitting type though. 
Ministry's Hall of Fame

1st Ballot

What a tremendous effort to work himself back into shape for the Playoffs. Huge boost and whoever they might be playing in the opening round just #### themselves. Arizona is likely the 5-Seed, what an awful draw whoever settles into the 4-seed, could be 1 and done.  

J.J. Watt released a video on Twitter implying he'll play against the Rams Monday night. 

Watt, out for two months with a shoulder injury, released a movie-quality hype video that seemed to signal he'll be active for Arizona's Super Wild Card Weekend game against the Rams. Watt would join a Cardinals pass rush graded by Pro Football Focus as the league's ninth best pass rushing unit. Only seven teams had a higher QB pressure rate than the Cardinals during the regular season. Matthew Stafford could be under pressure early and often against Arizona if Watt gets a full complement of snaps. 

SOURCE: J.J. Watt on Twitter 

Jan 17, 2022, 10:58 AM ET

Cardinals activated J.J. Watt (shoulder) from injured reserve.

Watt eluded to his return in a video he posted earlier today but the move is now official via the transaction wire. He will play in the team's WIld Card game against the Rams tonight. Watt has been out for two months because of the shoulder issue so there's no guarantee that he sees his typical workload. Still, the Cardinals will look to get him on the field for high-leverage plays throughout the contest. In seven games for the Cardinals, he has tallied five TFLs and one sack. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 17, 2022, 4:09 PM ET

Speaking at a presser, Cardinals DE J.J. Watt said he's been 100% "for a couple of months" and will participate in offseason work in Arizona.

Watt started seven games for the Cardinals last season and had just one sack, but he was often asked to play inside and provided interior pass pressures as Arizona got off to a 7-0 start. Entering his age-33 season and with two full seasons of games in his last six, it's going to be hard to rely on Watt to be healthy in 2022, but he's been productive when he's played. 

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Apr 19, 2022, 2:09 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread