What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

L. McCOY'S HUGE TIP (1 Viewer)

Thank god the arrogant, self entitled, whiny waiter is a dying job in America. Can't wait till all restaurants (maybe except high end) realize that waiters are an unnecessary cost and easily replaceable.

A few local restaurants have started using iPads for ordering and a few food runners instead of waiters, and I love the experience. No hassles, bs small talk about some special I don't care about. And the runners were much more attentive than waiters as the are solely concentrated on running food and refilling your drink and not chit chatting with diners.

Edit to add: I'm buddies with a local owner of a small joint that switched to tablets and runners a year ago. So far, she said the turnaround for her week night diners have actually increased as people just come in, sit down, and order without waiting for a waiter. The turnaround increase has more than made up for the small drop in upsale of dessert/wine by waiters.

Future restaurant owners: tablets/runners >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whiny waiters

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank god the arrogant, self entitled, whiny waiter is a dying job in America. Can't wait till all restaurants (maybe except high end) realize that waiters are an unnecessary cost and easily replaceable.

A few local restaurants have started using iPads for ordering and a few food runners instead of waiters, and I love the experience. No hassles, bs small talk about some special I don't care about. And the runners were much more attentive than waiters as the are solely concentrated on running food and refilling your drink and not chit chatting with diners.
I really need to understand this -- what experiences have you personally had with arrogant, self entitled, whiny waiters? What were they whining about? What made them so awful to interact with?Only thing I've noticed is a fake smile and overly friendly demeanor which I assume means they want me to tip them well. I'm not a fan of fakeness, but I'm not going to complain about someone being nice to me either.

It's possible I'm sheltered from miserable people living in Atlanta. I've heard people from up north say it takes some getting used to, just how friendly everyone is. I don't know. This thread perplexes me.

I really need to understand this -- what experiences have you personally had with arrogant, self entitled, whiny waiters? What were they whining about? What made them so awful to interact with?Only thing I've noticed is a fake smile and overly friendly demeanor which I assume means they want me to tip them well. I'm not a fan of fakeness, but I'm not going to complain about someone being nice to me either.

It's possible I'm sheltered from miserable people living in Atlanta. I've heard people from up north say it takes some getting used to, just how friendly everyone is. I don't know. This thread perplexes me.
Yeah, this is very odd.

Could be just me. I'm not a 'small talk' guy and in general have poor patience dealing with salesmen. For a local restaurant, I just want to sit down and eat a decent meal without hearing about the specials, being upsold wine, dessert and stuff. The table/runner system has been great for me.

I admit to having a bit of an anti wait-ite attitude in response to all of the whining and self entitlement from waiters as a whole crying to the media. Talking about how waiter jobs are unfair and how they deserve a $15 minimum wage knowing full well that it will get alot of their peers fired or replaced and will outright close many smaller restaurants. Greedy, near sighted, selfishness motivating a wage fight over a transient job.

I admit to having a bit of an anti wait-ite attitude in response to all of the whining and self entitlement from waiters as a whole crying to the media. Talking about how waiter jobs are unfair and how they deserve a $15 minimum wage knowing full well that it will get alot of their peers fired or replaced and will outright close many smaller restaurants. Greedy, near sighted, selfishness motivating a wage fight over a transient job.
Yes, I'm sure the 19 year-old college kid taking your orders at the local burger place spends his free time occupying Wall Street and posting on Democratic Underground....

Could be just me. I'm not a 'small talk' guy and in general have poor patience dealing with salesmen. For a local restaurant, I just want to sit down and eat a decent meal without hearing about the specials, being upsold wine, dessert and stuff. The table/runner system has been great for me.

Where are there servers asking for $15 an hour? Maybe you're thinking of the fast food workers that have been making noise lately?

:mellow:

Totally agree with all of that, let the market dictate. The fast food workers are especially ridiculous with their demands. We're maybe less than a decade from full automation in fast food.

If you listen to Howard Stern, in the past he has addressed this issue and his opinion is that as a celebrity, he is going to tip closer to 50% no matter the level of service and avoid the crapstorm that McCoy is having right now. Does that mean over tipping someone who is not deserving at times--yes. But you will never end up on TMZ on FEB forums for being a cap tipper.

Sometimes it is worth the cost of admission to avoid the nonsense.

Where are there servers asking for $15 an hour? Maybe you're thinking of the fast food workers that have been making noise lately?
Pretty common news in the left coast. Seattle, SF, now LA is talking about it. It was already difficult enough to operate a restaurant in SF. A lot of smaller joints will surely suffer or close if this passes.

You sound like a real treat.

Could be just me.
It is.

Just saw this follow-up from the owner of the place in question. If what he said is true, kudos for sticking up for his staff (even though it was likely a bad business decision).

A MESSAGE FROM THE OWNER:

I would like to address the LeSean McCoy tipping situation and our role in it.

For starters, I take total and complete responsibility for sharing this receipt. It was not our server's decision, it was mine. I am to blame.

I decided to take action after some serious thought. And while I'd like to apologize to Mr McCoy, I cannot in good conscience do so. I stand by my actions one hundred percent.

Mr McCoy and his three companions came into my place on Monday afternoon, and immediately the whole staff was excited. Mr McCoy is a skilled athlete and is one of our beloved Philadelphia Eagles. A true Philly legend and a sports hero. Understandably my staff was really pumped, especially on the heels of they terrific win the day before. (Go Eagles!).

Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans.

He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however. After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff. Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.

I bet Mr McCoy is usually an awesome dude. And everyone has their bad days. But I'm from Philly and have had the pleasure of meeting many of our bad ### sports heroes. Ron Jaworski I met as a kid and I love. Iverson I loved. Mike Schmidt! You name 'em. I love all of our athletes past and present. Hometown heroes who treat those below them with some respect. And maybe Mr McCoy was having a "bad day" after his big victory all that, but the reports of him receiving "bad service" is a complete slanderous lie, and my crew here is better than that and deserves better than that.

At the end of the day, I did what I felt my heart told me to do. And I don't want anything from Mr McCoy, but...maybe an apology to his server who gave him excellent service would be cool.

Again, I am the owner and I take full responsibility for my actions. Eagles fans, I feel ya. Id be pissed too. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and stick up for his friends.

Hate mail should be directed to tommy@pytburger.com. I will respond to you right after I catch up on this mornings hate mail.
Good for him. Sounds like McCoy is a real pos.
If this owner was right there and witnessed all this and is so willing to stand up for his staff....why didn't he throw them out when they started acting like this? Not buying the story here.

Just saw this follow-up from the owner of the place in question. If what he said is true, kudos for sticking up for his staff (even though it was likely a bad business decision).

For starters, I take total and complete responsibility for sharing this receipt. It was not our server's decision, it was mine. I am to blame.

I decided to take action after some serious thought. And while I'd like to apologize to Mr McCoy, I cannot in good conscience do so. I stand by my actions one hundred percent.

Mr McCoy and his three companions came into my place on Monday afternoon, and immediately the whole staff was excited. Mr McCoy is a skilled athlete and is one of our beloved Philadelphia Eagles. A true Philly legend and a sports hero. Understandably my staff was really pumped, especially on the heels of they terrific win the day before. (Go Eagles!).

Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans.He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however. After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff. Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.

I bet Mr McCoy is usually an awesome dude. And everyone has their bad days. But I'm from Philly and have had the pleasure of meeting many of our bad ### sports heroes. Ron Jaworski I met as a kid and I love. Iverson I loved. Mike Schmidt! You name 'em. I love all of our athletes past and present. Hometown heroes who treat those below them with some respect. And maybe Mr McCoy was having a "bad day" after his big victory all that, but the reports of him receiving "bad service" is a complete slanderous lie, and my crew here is better than that and deserves better than that.

At the end of the day, I did what I felt my heart told me to do. And I don't want anything from Mr McCoy, but...maybe an apology to his server who gave him excellent service would be cool.

Again, I am the owner and I take full responsibility for my actions. Eagles fans, I feel ya. Id be pissed too. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and stick up for his friends.

Hate mail should be directed to tommy@pytburger.com. I will respond to you right after I catch up on this mornings hate mail.
If this owner was right there and witnessed all this and is so willing to stand up for his staff....why didn't he throw them out when they started acting like this? Not buying the story here.
A star pro athlete in Philly is basically royalty. Booting the guy is going to be the absolute last resort. And if he's already proven himself to be a massive jerkoff, you're potentially going to cause a huge ugly scene and bad publicity for your restaurant. It's a service industry; they probably deal with Richards on a daily basis. Comes with the territory.

Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans.He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however. After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff. Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.

A star pro athlete in Philly is basically royalty. Booting the guy is going to be the absolute last resort. And if he's already proven himself to be a massive jerkoff, you're potentially going to cause a huge ugly scene and bad publicity for your restaurant. It's a service industry; they probably deal with Richards on a daily basis. Comes with the territory.
I don't disagree with that, but the owner is saying he did this to shame McCoy because he was an ####### to his staff and was cheap on the tip. Now he says he will take the heat because he supports his staff and doesn't care about the hate mail and bad publicity. If the was actually true he would have kicked them out, that is why I am not buying the story. He might just be covering for the person who put out the receipt and the part about being there and putting it out himself he made up.

I am not saying that McCoy might not be a cheap dbag, but the story as told isn't believable to me.

I don't disagree with that, but the owner is saying he did this to shame McCoy because he was an ####### to his staff and was cheap on the tip. Now he says he will take the heat because he supports his staff and doesn't care about the hate mail and bad publicity. If the was actually true he would have kicked them out, that is why I am not buying the story. He might just be covering for the person who put out the receipt and the part about being there and putting it out himself he made up.

I am not saying that McCoy might not be a cheap dbag, but the story as told isn't believable to me.
He was getting crap from Eagles fans for putting the receipt online, so he set the record straight. None of it seems far fetched to me. :shrug:

I sound like a 55 yo grumpy ###. But i is what i am. I said no dessert! Thank you! Check please!

He was getting crap from Eagles fans for putting the receipt online, so he set the record straight. None of it seems far fetched to me. :shrug:
The part I don't buy is where he is saying he did this in order to stand up for his staff. That is BS, because if he really cared about it he would have thrown them out when they were abusive or he and his managers that were right there seeing the impeccable service could have taken over the service so his staff wouldn't have to take any abuse.

I hate at the drive thru when they have the canned sales pitch. "Welcome to Taco Bell, would you like to try our new crispy pork by-product gordita?"

I start talking right over them.

The part I don't buy is where he is saying he did this in order to stand up for his staff. That is BS, because if he really cared about it he would have thrown them out when they were abusive or he and his managers that were right there seeing the impeccable service could have taken over the service so his staff wouldn't have to take any abuse.
And that happens pretty much never. They're paid to deal with cornholes like McCoy all day. The tips are compensation for a crappy thankless job. The twenty cent tip is the ultimate slap in the face, and by the time that happened I'm sure they were already out the door.

What did he think was going to happen?

And that happens pretty much never. They're paid to deal with cornholes like McCoy all day. The tips are compensation for a crappy thankless job. The twenty cent tip is the ultimate slap in the face, and by the time that happened I'm sure they were already out the door.
Seems to me if you regularly get a 20% tip for just doing your job it isn't that crappy or thankless.

Seems to me if you regularly get a 20% tip for just doing your job it isn't that crappy or thankless.
They get less than minimum wage plus whatever people decide to tip. Clearly from the two tipping threads, often it's less than 20% if someone can find a reason to stiff you no matter how minor. Some people tip nothing or like 1-5% no matter what, and there is nothing you can do about it. If it's slow, on an hourly basis you're probably making minimum wage or even less.It's a crappy job unless you're in a high end place. It's not a job I would want. People only do it because it's what's available and they really need the money.

I sound like a 55 yo grumpy ###. But i is what i am. I said no dessert! Thank you! Check please!
:lmao: :cry: :lmao: @ "55"

They get less than minimum wage plus whatever people decide to tip. Clearly from the two tipping threads, often it's less than 20% if someone can find a reason to stiff you no matter how minor. Some people tip nothing or like 1-5% no matter what, and there is nothing you can do about it. If it's slow, on an hourly basis you're probably making minimum wage or even less.

It's a crappy job unless you're in a high end place. It's not a job I would want. People only do it because it's what's available and they really need the money.
Maybe you should go look at the poll results in the other thread. For excellent service 97% of people tip 20% or higher. For okay service 52% tip 20% or higher and 87% tip higher than 15%.I think you are completely misreading (or just ignoring) what is going on at restaurants across the US and in here.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the owner's story, at least in full? I'm guessing this isn't the first time McCoy and his friends have been at a restaurant. If he was the type of person who would tip 20 cents on what was IMPECCABLE service (which is obviously so far beyond bad service, it's simply a "#### you"), I'm guessing we would have heard a bit more about him in this regard in the past. For example, the recent Warren Sapp story about the non-tip because he was called "boy" by his waitress. Not many people were surprised that he did that, and that he found a way to misconstrue "how are you boys doing?" which is a very casual, normal greeting and turned it into something slavery-related.
I believe him. I assumed the waiter was a real ### when I first heard the story.

But the owner would have to be nuts to go to bat for the waiter in that case. Maybe he is, but I wouldn't expect it.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the owner's story, at least in full? I'm guessing this isn't the first time McCoy and his friends have been at a restaurant. If he was the type of person who would tip 20 cents on what was IMPECCABLE service (which is obviously so far beyond bad service, it's simply a "#### you"), I'm guessing we would have heard a bit more about him in this regard in the past. For example, the recent Warren Sapp story about the non-tip because he was called "boy" by his waitress. Not many people were surprised that he did that, and that he found a way to misconstrue "how are you boys doing?" which is a very casual, normal greeting and turned it into something slavery-related.
I believe him. I assumed the waiter was a real ### when I first heard the story.

But the owner would have to be nuts to go to bat for the waiter in that case. Maybe he is, but I wouldn't expect it.
Or he miscalculated the response to posting the receipt in the first place and is covering his own butt.

I believe him. I assumed the waiter was a real ### when I first heard the story.But the owner would have to be nuts to go to bat for the waiter in that case. Maybe he is, but I wouldn't expect it.
Or he miscalculated the response to posting the receipt in the first place and is covering his own butt.
Could be. I have no idea. I just seems unlikely that he'd do any of this for a truly bad waiter. Unless he's banging him.

Not the it would be a huge surprise if a restaurant owner is a little nuts and/or banging the help.

They get less than minimum wage plus whatever people decide to tip. Clearly from the two tipping threads, often it's less than 20% if someone can find a reason to stiff you no matter how minor. Some people tip nothing or like 1-5% no matter what, and there is nothing you can do about it. If it's slow, on an hourly basis you're probably making minimum wage or even less.It's a crappy job unless you're in a high end place. It's not a job I would want. People only do it because it's what's available and they really need the money.
Maybe you should go look at the poll results in the other thread. For excellent service 97% of people tip 20% or higher. For okay service 52% tip 20% or higher and 87% tip higher than 15%. I think you are completely misreading (or just ignoring) what is going on at restaurants across the US and in here.
We know lots of people tip nothing or a dollar or two. Lots of FBGs? Probably not. But the posts were pretty eye opening for the contempt people seem to have for servers. The original argument was that McCoy should've been kicked out. My point was that if they kicked out every rude patron (this is Philly mind you), good luck staying open. Serving horrible people is part of the job description.

:lmao:

Yeah. Waiters at a burger joint in Philly are always rude to the hometown players.

You guys might as well just wear a glowing neon T-shirt that says "I'm a cheap, rude MOFO when I think I can get away with it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Acme CEO said:

Edit to add: I'm buddies with a local owner of a small joint that switched to tablets and runners a year ago. So far, she said the turnaround for her week night diners have actually increased as people just come in, sit down, and order without waiting for a waiter. The turnaround increase has more than made up for the small drop in upsale of dessert/wine by waiters.

Future restaurant owners: tablets/runners >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whiny waiters
Funny, I just tried one of these for the first time today. Totally ruled. It even didn't get all pissy when we selected the option to split the bill.

Everybody's different. I'd never leave 10%. If it were up to me, waiters would not be exempted from minimum wage laws. But they are. Which means that an adequate tip ensures a living wage. Which is why I'd be far more likely to ask to speak to management than to just tip poorly to send a message. Particularly because bad service can be attributed to things beyond a server's control. Maybe the kitchen is behind or screwed up my order and had to restart.

In any case, I can't remember tipping below 20%, but I've also never received any worse than inattentive service. No server has ever been rude or anything. Maybe that's because I prefer only acting like a #### on the internet.
I would hope that most folks can realize this. It's not fair for the server to get dinged because the kitchen cooked your food wrong (unless the server put the order in wrong) or because they're backed up...But it IS the server's fault if they never come back to check on things, never refill drinks, give you an attitude over most anything, etc.

I personally have never left anything below 10%...but if I had an experience bad enough, I would. I could care less if that person has to make a living wage off tips or not. If they are that concerned, they'd try a little harder. My boss would fire me if I did a job equivalent to what it would take for me to tip less than 10%...Just consider it a customer's friendly way of saying, "Maybe customer-related service jobs aren't for you."
I don't ding a waiter/ress if my food is cooked wrong unless it is obvious. For example I order a flatbread with no chicken on it. If she brings it out and slaps it down, I will hold her responsible. If she brings all the other food out but says I noticed they put chicken on it so I had them remake yours, no issue.

I hate having to send food back because I am paranoid that they will do something to it. If the waitress does it right away I find it difficult to believe there could be any risk of that.

Some places are horrible at this. I stopped eating at panera long ago because they just couldn't make my food without the ingredients I wanted left off.

Users who are viewing this thread