What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (3 Viewers)

Dodds has him projected higher than any other website or person here on FBG's - WR25 or lower on most sites.

Dodds has been wrong often 6-72 i think tonight he projects? Can't see how with McCarron vs that D.
I just need 6 pts from him :) Hopefully that won't be too much trouble, or he could pull a deja vu from last year in week 16 and go down with injury in the 1st qtr and cost me a championship again (in the same league no less).
Much like he did last week 1 for 37 in the Semi's.

I haven't checked Bovada yet, curious what his prop bet is for reception's and yards.
Over under 70 1/2 and 5 1/2 receptions

I can't believe I just looked that up. I'm sicker than I thought....

I

Dodds has him projected higher than any other website or person here on FBG's - WR25 or lower on most sites.

Dodds has been wrong often 6-72 i think tonight he projects? Can't see how with McCarron vs that D.
I just need 6 pts from him :) Hopefully that won't be too much trouble, or he could pull a deja vu from last year in week 16 and go down with injury in the 1st qtr and cost me a championship again (in the same league no less).
Much like he did last week 1 for 37 in the Semi's.

I haven't checked Bovada yet, curious what his prop bet is for reception's and yards.
Over under 70 1/2 and 5 1/2 receptions

I can't believe I just looked that up. I'm sicker than I thought....

I
I looked up Randle's last night and didn't play him.

First time I've done that myself.

5-70 would do it 12ppr points.

Dodds 6-70 - Does it as well.

CBS has him WR28 at like 4-50 - Wouldn't do it :(

Much like Dalton, this guy comes up small when I need him to be big. Maybe it just sticks out in my mind from past jaded experiences, but I fully expect 3-16 tonight.

Yep, must be a Cinci thing. Does anyone really think McCarron won't just turtle and the Bengals get destroyed on the road vs a good team.

Ugh.

Just seems so wrong to bench a guy I have rolled out every week except his bye.

Compounded by the fact I don't like my alternatives.

Need more information on his health before deciding.
Being a Monday night game, I think the best you are going to get is "Questionable-back".

I don't own him and don't have the decision to make but if I did, I think I would be looking more at the other things, such as he has a backup QB playing on the road against the best passing defense in football (or one of the best).
Oh, I'm working my way through it.

• Sunday - denial
  • Monday - anger
  • Tuesday - Thursday - bargaining
  • Friday - Saturday - depression
  • Sunday - acceptance
;)
  • Monday - apathy (e.g., #### it, he's starting this week just like every other week in 2015)
:pickle:

Is it just me or does everybody else feel like A.J. played a lot better than Dalton would have in this high pressure situation? I honestly think it saved my season. Dalton would have thrown 3 picks and gave Green the 3-16 stat line. Green also couldhave had another TD or two. He got a lot of opps.

J. Green said the Bengals offense will go as far as he and Andy Dalton take it.
"We don’t need no coaches or anybody to push us," Green continued. "We know what we have to do to get this offense to go. We know the offense run through us." Especially with Tyler Eifert (ankle) questionable for the start of the season, Green will be the unquestioned focal point of the passing game. He has a reasonable chance to set a new career-high in targets.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 
May 28 - 8:59 AM

ESPN Bengals reporter Coley Harvey wrote A.J. Green and Andy Dalton were "more in sync this spring than they have been during any offseason workout of their career."
Two of the Bengals' most valuable players performing well in non-contact work isn't much of a story, but it's worth noting because Dalton and Green may have to do more individual heavy lifting this year. Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu are gone, and Tyler Eifert (ankle) is not considered likely to be ready for Week 1. If Green stays healthy, he should reset his career high in targets.

Source: ESPN.com 
Jul 20 - 9:58 PM

Man, he good. And "stronger than he looks!" He might be the best in the NFL right now- and for years to come. Some would say Antonio Brown but AJ is right up there, top 3.

He was on fire in the first half but must have slowed considerably in the second.  I didn't get to watch the second half....any insight into what happened in the 2nd half?  I thought he was on pace for 250+ yards easy.  

He was on fire in the first half but must have slowed considerably in the second.  I didn't get to watch the second half....any insight into what happened in the 2nd half?  I thought he was on pace for 250+ yards easy.  
The Bengals had a lead and tried to run the ball some in the second half.  AJ was simply not targeted as much in the second half. 

The Bengals had a lead and tried to run the ball some in the second half.  AJ was simply not targeted as much in the second half. 
Agreed, not targeted as Cinci tried to run (unsuccessfully) and when they did throw did stupid things like on 3rd and goal from the five throwing to Tyler Boyd in traffic instead of to a manned up AJ on the opposite side IN ISOLATION!!!  Unbelievably shocking that Dalton didn't auto chuck to Green in that situation.  Green is gonna be great this year.  Top 5 WR is a lock and the only thing keeping him from being the #1 WR will be Dalton and Lewis.  Neither of which are aggressive enough.*

*Though Dalton did chuck it up to AJ for the 51 yard completion in the first quarter. 

Agreed, not targeted as Cinci tried to run (unsuccessfully) and when they did throw did stupid things like on 3rd and goal from the five throwing to Tyler Boyd in traffic instead of to a manned up AJ on the opposite side IN ISOLATION!!!  Unbelievably shocking that Dalton didn't auto chuck to Green in that situation.  Green is gonna be great this year.  Top 5 WR is a lock and the only thing keeping him from being the #1 WR will be Dalton and Lewis.  Neither of which are aggressive enough.*

*Though Dalton did chuck it up to AJ for the 51 yard completion in the first quarter. 
I was surprised at that play as well.  Sometimes HCs overthink things.  If I am Dalton, I feed AJ to the point that is embarrassing.  AJ could not be stopped and looked like the best WR in the NFL last night.   

I was surprised at that play as well.  Sometimes HCs overthink things.  If I am Dalton, I feed AJ to the point that is embarrassing.  AJ could not be stopped and looked like the best WR in the NFL last night.   
Yes I'm a Green owner but even if I wasn't I'd still ask how you are not throwing the ball to him on nearly every play near the End Zone in a game where he is absolutely shredding the opposing defense and you are struggling to score? The one time you did he scored with ease. I don't care if they are triple-teaming him I'm still gonna throw him the ball because they couldn't stop him the entire game. It was like the Bengals got near the End Zone and then, other than the one time where Green scored, they stopped trying to score because they stopped throwing the ball to Green. I think you could put nearly all of their Red Zone play calls last night into the thread about coaches doing stupid things.    

Yeah as a Dolphins fan when I saw them lined up for that play and the Fins had no one lined up outside of the box on that side of the field (the wide side no less) I figured it was an auto touchdown to Green.  He had 20 yards of width to work with one on one and they ran some gimmick to Boyd on the short side of the field instead.

Yeah as a Dolphins fan when I saw them lined up for that play and the Fins had no one lined up outside of the box on that side of the field (the wide side no less) I figured it was an auto touchdown to Green.  He had 20 yards of width to work with one on one and they ran some gimmick to Boyd on the short side of the field instead.
Yeah, these kinds of plays display the weakness of the Bengals at QB and coach that will likely prevent Green from becoming the #1 overall WR this year.  It wasn't like Cinci was crushing the Fins in the redzone that they could understandably go away from him late in the game to keep him fresh for later this year.  Cinci could not move the ball in the redzone and indeed couldn't run it well at all anywhere on the field so shying away from AJ represents coaching/QBing malpractice IMO.  Green should have finished that game withh 200+ yards and 2 TDs and I am not being greedy at all.  Hoping the coaches look at that tape and say "what the hell were we thinking?" but I suspect that won't be the case given that they dominated the game and the time of possession.  A well coached team would look at the performance last night and say "we were incredibly inefficient and we need to clean up the coaching/QBing in the redzone if we want to win any meaningful games this year."  As someone who disrespects both Lewis and Dalton I don't see that happening.

Any yet, when they were at the goal line against Pittsburgh with Green lined out wide with single coverage, Dalton didn't even look at him.  Three times.

I'm smart.  I wanted to bench him last week for M.Jones and couldn't do it, and almost lost because of it.

So this week I sat him.
Gee, Dodds' early projections had Green as the #8 WR.  Now his final rankings (after the game) have him at #4.  Brilliant.  Amazing call.

Meanwhile, M.Jones went from #2 to #9.

I know  :ptts:

Morton Muffley said:
Yeah, these kinds of plays display the weakness of the Bengals at QB and coach that will likely prevent Green from becoming the #1 overall WR this year.  It wasn't like Cinci was crushing the Fins in the redzone that they could understandably go away from him late in the game to keep him fresh for later this year.  Cinci could not move the ball in the redzone and indeed couldn't run it well at all anywhere on the field so shying away from AJ represents coaching/QBing malpractice IMO.  Green should have finished that game withh 200+ yards and 2 TDs and I am not being greedy at all.  Hoping the coaches look at that tape and say "what the hell were we thinking?" but I suspect that won't be the case given that they dominated the game and the time of possession.  A well coached team would look at the performance last night and say "we were incredibly inefficient and we need to clean up the coaching/QBing in the redzone if we want to win any meaningful games this year."  As someone who disrespects both Lewis and Dalton I don't see that happening.
This is what separates the few great coaches in the league from the rest. Anyone think Belicheck would have gone away from AJ in the RZ?  

This is what separates the few great coaches in the league from the rest. Anyone think Belicheck would have gone away from AJ in the RZ?  
In poker it is called FPS (fancy play syndrome).  Lots of coaches out-think themselves in an effort to prove how smart they are and as a result end up giving up on the thing that they do well.  Belichek was miked up this past week and there was a time on the sideline with Blount where belichek instructed him to "just hammer it in there behind the double-team block". Put another way, belichek was saying, "don't over-think this, don't look to do anything fancy, just follow the blocking and get what is there". Simple, right?  Apparently not because some coaches have determined that if it (scheme, play-calling, whatever) isn't complex/fancy then they'll be no one to blame but them!  So in that regard, coaches probably do get some coverage by making things overly complex and then blaming it on the players when it isn't executed flawlessly.  Anyway, that's enough tangent for now ?

I really hate owning this guy.  I just can't trust Dalton and Bengals week to week.  AJ is ranked in the top 5 everywhere this week (#2 in FBG), despite playing against the Patriots, who are known for taking away a team's best player.  Don't know what to do.  Playing him in a supposedly juicy matchup last week cost me a win.

I've got Hilton and M.Jones on my bench and never know what to do (Julio is my other starter, dynasty league).

Last edited by a moderator:
Julio Jones has had bad games and so has Odell Beckham. It's just the nature of the WR position that you have stingers even at the elite level week to week. I'm pretty sure would Antonio Brown has had his off games in the past too. Don't let it dissuade you from starting him anymore than the other top wrs.

I really hate owning this guy.  I just can't trust Dalton and Bengals week to week.  AJ is ranked in the top 5 everywhere this week (#2 in FBG), despite playing against the Patriots, who are known for taking away a team's best player.  Don't know what to do.  Playing him in a supposedly juicy matchup last week cost me a win.

I've got Hilton and M.Jones on my bench and never know what to do (Julio is my other starter, dynasty league).
Seriously? 

When the "decoy" game comes up during the fantasy playoffs, it is most definitely frustrating.  I agree with the above how the coaching staff over think themselves in Cincy and Dalton doesn't or isn't allowed to stray from that week's game plan when Green is the "decoy" of the week....  

Pats are gonna take Green away by doubling (underneath and over the top with safety help).   I am expecting 5 for 50 and 50% chance at a TD.  But here is what Green owners have going for them this week: I LOVE playing good receivers coming off bad games cuz the teams (QBs, coaches, etc) tend to see the error of their ways and over-compensate by force-feeding said WR the following week.  So while I expect the above stat line I also expect green to get 10-12 targets - and with his jump ball ability that certainly provides upside opportunity to post 8/100/1 stats.  Good luck

Pats are gonna take Green away by doubling (underneath and over the top with safety help).   I am expecting 5 for 50 and 50% chance at a TD.  But here is what Green owners have going for them this week: I LOVE playing good receivers coming off bad games cuz the teams (QBs, coaches, etc) tend to see the error of their ways and over-compensate by force-feeding said WR the following week.  So while I expect the above stat line I also expect green to get 10-12 targets - and with his jump ball ability that certainly provides upside opportunity to post 8/100/1 stats.  Good luck
Also, I think his TD chances are high today because if the game goes according to form the Pats should be playing from the front and possibly with a large lead. That could/should result in a lot of passing volume. If the Bengals are throwing late New England could be playing loose coverage late and that could lead to Green getting a late TD like LaFell got last week. Those are tough to predict and project of course but they happen all the time. LaFell got one that way last week. So did Hopkins. I could easily see Green getting one in similar fashion this week. 

But I also agree that coming off his bizarre non-involvement game last week I expect the Bengals to make him a focal point today even if he's the focal point of Belichick's defensive approach. So 15 or so target game today is definitely a strong possibility. And if you give Green that number of targets he should put up good numbers. It's not like Dalton's a bum and it's not like the Patriots are the '85 Bears. They have a good defense but their secondary isn't comprised of a bunch of All-Pros. 

I watch these bozos week after week, and I've never seen a "superstar" duo more incapable of completing a fade or back shoulder TD in the red zone.

Users who are viewing this thread