What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (5 Viewers)

Bumpski.

Apologies for paraphrasing paid content, but the latest I've seen on Green was from Bramel's Monday injury updates this AM, indicating that while AJ is still rehabbing and yet to practice, a local team beat writer tweeted that there is optimism Green can take the field this coming weekend.

With CIN now barely staying in the hunt for the division, they desperately need to beat the Steelers this coming weekend, and will need all hands on deck to help. AJ and the team must be raring to go if he can take the field even at less than 100%.

If he does play (still a big IF, he'll actually need to practice), would people feel comfortable starting him? If he's less than 100% (which I would expect), I'd think there is a big chance he is used more of a decoy to draw coverage. I don't have the data, but after owning AJ for a few seasons now, my gut says that CIN has done this before when AJ was a little dinged or coming back from an injury in his first game.

Every point matters in the playoffs -- so, if AJ suits up, are you starting with confidence, or will you be playing a potentially safer route by slotting in a solid floor kind of WR1/WR2 starter?

Bumpski.

Apologies for paraphrasing paid content, but the latest I've seen on Green was from Bramel's Monday injury updates this AM, indicating that while AJ is still rehabbing and yet to practice, a local team beat writer tweeted that there is optimism Green can take the field this coming weekend.

With CIN now barely staying in the hunt for the division, they desperately need to beat the Steelers this coming weekend, and will need all hands on deck to help. AJ and the team must be raring to go if he can take the field even at less than 100%.

If he does play (still a big IF, he'll actually need to practice), would people feel comfortable starting him? If he's less than 100% (which I would expect), I'd think there is a big chance he is used more of a decoy to draw coverage. I don't have the data, but after owning AJ for a few seasons now, my gut says that CIN has done this before when AJ was a little dinged or coming back from an injury in his first game.

Every point matters in the playoffs -- so, if AJ suits up, are you starting with confidence, or will you be playing a potentially safer route by slotting in a solid floor kind of WR1/WR2 starter?
It all depends on how he practices this week.  Sorry that is not more definitive but that is my thinking.  I would love to have Green in my line up but I need to know how close to 100% he is physically. 

Bumpski.

I don't know how you could start him.

Starting Watkins and Tyrrell Williams over him

Would come down to practice work and all the info I can gather during the week. Matchup against Pittsburgh is damn good so nothing scary from that perspective. So basically it's all about his health.  

ETA - if I feel like I can get 10 points from him as a floor I'll start him because a 10-point floor without a TD is good for me given my team's situation. Throw in a potential score (very possible given his talent and the matchup) and he definitely makes for a viable starting option. So basically if I feel like he can give me a 10-point floor I'd say he'll start for me given my team's current situation.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on how he practices this week.  Sorry that is not more definitive but that is my thinking.  I would love to have Green in my line up but I need to know how close to 100% he is physically. 
True, more definitive info helps, but I think we can intuit how it goes if he does indeed return to practice - limited first day back, then potentially one or two full participant practices thereafter, more or less. 

Even if he is limited across all practices but projected to start, not sure that changes anything in terms of what that might tell you about the weekend. Unless he reaggravates his hammy, I assume he'll be less than 100%, and we won't have real insight into how much less except for during the game.

It's a big risk, but the rewards would be huge as AJ is AJ.

Guess I am looking for more historical insight on how AJ and the team plays him after returning from injury, anything that may help shed some more light on what we know will be a murky situation,

Bumpski.

Own him in one dynasty league with Evans, Dez, Edelman, Fitzgerald and Jeffery. As frustrating as this week was I pulled out a win and I can't see putting Green in next week. Best case he plays well and I can get him in the championship game.

Sammy Watkins has a broken bone in his foot and he scored yesterday against the Steelers in the snow.

If Green starts against the Steelers it's gonna take some seriously negative reports during the week for him to be on my bench. I doubt the Bengals play him if he's at any risk of seriously re-injuring himself and I doubt Green plays if that's the case. So if he plays I would expect him to play like usual. No decoy and none of that BS. There's no reason for the Bengals to do any of that since their season is over. The only reason for him to play is if he's healthy and can play like his normal self. 

So the more I think about it the more confident I'm becoming. If he plays he starts for me. As I've said all along he's A.J. Freakin Green having the best season of his career and one of the best first-round picks I've ever made. I would be insulting him by benching him.    

Sammy Watkins has a broken bone in his foot and he scored yesterday against the Steelers in the snow.

If Green starts against the Steelers it's gonna take some seriously negative reports during the week for him to be on my bench. I doubt the Bengals play him if he's at any risk of seriously re-injuring himself and I doubt Green plays if that's the case. So if he plays I would expect him to play like usual. No decoy and none of that BS. There's no reason for the Bengals to do any of that since their season is over. The only reason for him to play is if he's healthy and can play like his normal self. 

So the more I think about it the more confident I'm becoming. If he plays he starts for me. As I've said all along he's A.J. Freakin Green having the best season of his career and one of the best first-round picks I've ever made. I would be insulting him by benching him.    
All good thoughts, PF. I disagree with some of the points you are making -- if there is something to play for, I think there is a chance both Green and the team would be eager to get him back on the field. If anything, he must be accounted for, and while he may not draw double teams, having him on the field drawing defensive shades or looks helps others on the team if properly game planned.

It is a big longshot but CIN is not out of contention. They must win out, and need a lot of help to do it -- if BAL loses tonight and they can beat the Steelers next week, situation becomes a little better. But only a little. They need to own winning their games. And having Green out there, even at <100%, arguably may help them more to do that. They will want to avoid getting left out of the playoffs for the 6th straight year if they can at all help it.

However it is true that it's hard to bench a stud. Was just seeking some extra info if people had it on CIN playing Green (or anyone else as decoys) in this situation before. 

All good thoughts, PF. I disagree with some of the points you are making -- if there is something to play for, I think there is a chance both Green and the team would be eager to get him back on the field. If anything, he must be accounted for, and while he may not draw double teams, having him on the field drawing defensive shades or looks helps others on the team if properly game planned.

It is a big longshot but CIN is not out of contention. They must win out, and need a lot of help to do it -- if BAL loses tonight and they can beat the Steelers next week, situation becomes a little better. But only a little. They need to own winning their games. And having Green out there, even at <100%, arguably may help them more to do that. They will want to avoid getting left out of the playoffs for the 6th straight year if they can at all help it.

However it is true that it's hard to bench a stud. Was just seeking some extra info if people had it on CIN playing Green (or anyone else as decoys) in this situation before. 
Yeah I guess technically they're still in it. Realistically not so much.

Again, though, I don't think they bring him back just to toy around with the Steelers. I think if he plays he plays for real. No point to bring him back to try and mess with the Steelers only to have him hurt himself further. That would be one of the biggest dumb ### moves in the history of dumb ### moves.  

Sounds like he's gonna practice wed.  I may change my tune and start him if he practices without setback all week.  Looking very positive 

Someone dropped him a few weeks back and I've been eyeing him for a return.  Would be great to grab him for my playoff game this weekend.

Gonna have to follow up on practice to see how he's doing Wednesday.

:sehorn:

Someone dropped him a few weeks back and I've been eyeing him for a return.  Would be great to grab him for my playoff game this weekend.

Gonna have to follow up on practice to see how he's doing Wednesday.

:sehorn:
Stop everything you are doing and go pick him up

Right.  But I have a need for Powell or Farrow depending on if I Gordon and Forte are out.  I just checked and AJ's buried on our WW right now.  I'll most likely drop Cam and Forte for Powell and AJ here shortly.

A lot of posters seem to be overlooking an obvious reason for A.J. to return at less than 100%. He's 36 yards shy of his 6th thousand yard season. If he just wants to return for those 36 yards, then he's not a safe start in your fantasy playoffs. I want some independent verification that he's practicing fully or something close to fully before I put him in and get 4 points from him.

A lot of posters seem to be overlooking an obvious reason for A.J. to return at less than 100%. He's 36 yards shy of his 6th thousand yard season. If he just wants to return for those 36 yards, then he's not a safe start in your fantasy playoffs. I want some independent verification that he's practicing fully or something close to fully before I put him in and get 4 points from him.
Practicing fully and he's in... limited, and I'll keep him benched.

So would you guys play green over tyrell Williams or Watkins?  Assuming he practices all week and starts of course

So would you guys play green over tyrell Williams or Watkins?  Assuming he practices all week and starts of course
I have similar decisions and my thinking is, they're all good, but they're all hurt, so take the least hurt guy, or if you don't know who that is, take the best guy. Right now we don't know how hurt green is but we assume he's hurt worse than williams.  By Sunday we hope to know more.

Green expected to practice again today.

Hard decisions this week for me in WR and flex, deciding between Green, Watkins, Alshon, Snead, and now Farrow in PPR.

Re: AJ, I can see him ably practicing and then going on gameday, but not being the showcase he normally is. 2 or 3 catches for 25 is the floor, and I think he's likely to be closer to the floor than the ceiling.

Watkins also has his injury issues, but with him coming on since his return 2 weeks ago, he is getting the WR1 targets and a good volume of catches. Seems to be a no brainer against the woeful Browns.

Love that I was able to snag Jeffrey, but the game in the deep cold with a QB he may not have the same chemistry with is concerning.

Snead is always boom/bust, but if Thomas sits his stock goes up, especially if Patrick Petersen goes up against Cooks.

With Gordon out, Farrow becomes really interesting, given his ground use and the fact that he caught 6 passes. 

Right now have them as Watkins and Alshon as my WRs, and Green in the flex, but the more I think about it, may be subbing in Snead for Alshon and Farrow for Green.

Decisions....

Green officially doubtful this weekend, per the twitter machine.

Hopefully the limited practices this week though means we can see him Week 16 (assuming I survive the week), and I'm thankful we have some measure of certainty that he won't play this weekend, which should help with roster decisions.

I grabbed him after my little chat with @packersfan earlier this week.  Looks like I'll be starting either Adams or Diggs in his place this week.  Hoping to use him next week in the Championship round if I survive this week.

Green officially doubtful this weekend, per the twitter machine.

Hopefully the limited practices this week though means we can see him Week 16 (assuming I survive the week), and I'm thankful we have some measure of certainty that he won't play this weekend, which should help with roster decisions.
Well said.

I grabbed him after my little chat with @packersfan earlier this week.  Looks like I'll be starting either Adams or Diggs in his place this week.  Hoping to use him next week in the Championship round if I survive this week.
Adams is a strong start.  Diggs has not done much since week 10.  He is a steady WR3 in PPR leagues but not a player I would use if I was swinging for the fences. 

Limited practice today.

I can't trust him in my championship game with no full practice, and the Bengals out of the playoff hunt.

However, if he's 36 yards shy of 1000 for the year, and if the Texans are playing for a playoff bye, there may be some motivation for him to get going this week.

On my bench until otherwise. He does play the late Saturday night game, if you have a Sunday sub player (BAL/PIT, DEN/KC), or Mon player (DET/DAL.)

Was still listed as limited at practice but as said he felt great and was going to play. I'm putting him in my lineup right now but will be watching him closely in pregame and have Steve smith on Sunday to put in my lineup if he doesn't go or something worries me. Basically feel like while he does have a very low floor, it also wouldn't surprise me if he goes out and puts up 8-120-1

He's only wanting his 36 yards to go over 1000. I think he gets that then sits. I'm keeping him on the bench.

An owner actually dropped him in a short bench ten teamer and I picked him weeks ago. 

I have no idea what to do now. 

This is a tough call.  I would love to start him over Inman.  Is it worth the risk?  I wish I knew how healthy Green truly was. 

Wish he had a better matchup than Hou, although they have sucked recently. I am prolly gonna start him but my other guy is Robby Anderson. LOL

Too much upside, this is a championship week!  Dance with who brung ya...
2 year ago I went into the monday night game championship week in a big money league down 6 points with only AJ Green and the Broncos kicker. Connor Barth gave me 4 points (all PAT). I lost by 2.

This isn't relevant at all. I just wanted to share

Eifert is also ailing, which means Cinci may need Green as an option even more. FWIW, FBG has him rated quite high in WR rankings -- they may not see the same downside I see.

Really struggling here as I can't shake the feeling that he's not 100% and won't be the same Green we want/need. Have other options (Snead, Alshon, Watkins, Lockett) but think I'm best going with the studs in Green (and Alshon, even though he's likely to pair off with Norman).

Thing is, Inman has a problem that is Benjamin and Williams and Henry and Gates. For those with Lockett, there's the question as to whether Peterson will follow him or Baldwin. Then there's the issue that Houston's secondary is decent. I keep hearing things about AJ Bouye, who's been very good and will most certainly be on Green. 

So, do you trust Green, coming off an injury against an up and coming CB?

pack66 said:
Thing is, Inman has a problem that is Benjamin and Williams and Henry and Gates. For those with Lockett, there's the question as to whether Peterson will follow him or Baldwin. Then there's the issue that Houston's secondary is decent. I keep hearing things about AJ Bouye, who's been very good and will most certainly be on Green. 

So, do you trust Green, coming off an injury against an up and coming CB?
Oh, jeez. You're making me rethink benching Baldwin for AJ.  

Users who are viewing this thread