What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Well, if you are KC you can certainly wait to find out if someone being accused for not the first time of domestic abuse which in this case involves a 3 year old is going to face a suspension before you react...or you can react based upon past precedent and go out and get a guy who at worst becomes the WR1B making your offense even more potent than it already was, which may help to mask the obvious deficiencies at RB and on D. 

Waiting it out means you probably lose out on Green.  Not sure why this is such a debatable concept.
How so?  I haven't heard anything about Cincy actively shopping Green.  If they aren't trying to get rid of him, or actively listening to offers, how is KC waiting to see what happens with Hill going to cause them to "lose out on Green?"

How so?  I haven't heard anything about Cincy actively shopping Green.  If they aren't trying to get rid of him, or actively listening to offers, how is KC waiting to see what happens with Hill going to cause them to "lose out on Green?"
Well this conversation all just started out on speculation that Cinci would be considering shopping him.  No real rumor, but it isnt an illogical thought.  He is not young, they dont seem all that close to really competing for a championship, and he is in his final year of his contract.  

If he is a candidate for trade, and KC waits out Hill's fate, they could miss out on him.  The context was all based on the premise that Cinci may consider shopping him.  Its fantasy fantasy.

ChuckLiddell said:
Well this conversation all just started out on speculation that Cinci would be considering shopping him.  No real rumor, but it isnt an illogical thought.  He is not young, they dont seem all that close to really competing for a championship, and he is in his final year of his contract.  

If he is a candidate for trade, and KC waits out Hill's fate, they could miss out on him.  The context was all based on the premise that Cinci may consider shopping him.  Its fantasy fantasy.
Last I read the Bengals are working to extend Green's contract.

Everything you said in your third sentence is true but NFL teams don't always operate like dynasty fantasy football owners. It's tough for a GM to admit their team is not all that close to really competing for a championship because their shelf life in their position isn't very long and it's hard for owners to give away the player whose jersey 50% of their fans are showing up wearing on NFL Sundays. They need people to show up and with no stars on the team that makes filling the stadium tougher.

Last I read the Bengals are working to extend Green's contract.

Everything you said in your third sentence is true but NFL teams don't always operate like dynasty fantasy football owners. It's tough for a GM to admit their team is not all that close to really competing for a championship because their shelf life in their position isn't very long and it's hard for owners to give away the player whose jersey 50% of their fans are showing up wearing on NFL Sundays. They need people to show up and with no stars on the team that makes filling the stadium tougher.
Dont disagree.  Like I said, it was all just speculation.  Other teams, like the Dolphins and Raiders took an approach contrary to the one you are describing and more comparable to the one I am describing.  Both cases involved new coaching staffs and fresh starts.  Cinci is in a similar situation.  I know there are a bazillion examples that would support your statement as well - thats why this was always just speculation on a fantasy football site.  I really thought that was clear all along.

ChuckLiddell said:

Right, but then you’re imposing a fantasy deadline on the fantasy of a trade.  That just seem a little illogical.

Everything I have read is the Bengals want to keep AJ for a long time and AJ wants to be like his hero Larry Fitzgerald and play his whole career with one team.

And I sure hope that is so.

-QG

So, do I have this correct?  Some fan site floated the idea of KC trading for AJG.  Been no other substantiated news or rumors from major sourcing, and in fact all reporting has been Cincy is working on an extension, and still the past 3 days here have been spent dreaming about and arguing over the merits of a trade to KC?  Is that what’s going on?

So, do I have this correct?  Some fan site floated the idea of KC trading for AJG.  Been no other substantiated news or rumors from major sourcing, and in fact all reporting has been Cincy is working on an extension, and still the past 3 days here have been spent dreaming about and arguing over the merits of a trade to KC?  Is that what’s going on?
Dead on

A.J. Green said, "Hopefully I can be [in Cincinnati] for a couple more years."

Earlier this offseason, Bengals owner Mike Brown said Green is a candidate for a contract extension since he's in the final year of his deal, so expect the two sides to come to an agreement before the 2019 season. Currently the NFL's 14th-highest paid receiver, Green is due for a pay bump, even if he's entering his age-31 season. Green is still a Pro Bowl-level receiver when healthy.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jun 9, 2019, 2:03 PM ET

How do we think Green is going to fair in this new offense? Will the waning days of Dalton and a coach who held Mcvay's clipboard spell the end of his wr1 days?

This sounds ungood...

A.J. Green was carted to the locker room with an apparent left foot injury Saturday.

It appears to be a legitimate injury, as Green was on crutches leaving the facility. Green talked with team doctors on the sideline before standing up, punching the bench, yelling in frustration, and then hopping on a cart to head inside. Green has never had any issues with his left foot in the past, as both previous toe injuries were to his right foot. Either way, we hope Green has avoided anything serious here. He was poised for a rebound year in coach Zac Taylor's offense. We'll provide an update when one is available.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 3:28 PM ET

I’ve had a really tough time ranking him. If he’s healthy, I think hecan be as high as top 10.

I really struggled with green versus diggs and Theilen.

This makes me feel better about moving him down. 

All of that said, he’s got about six weeks to be ready. If he winds up falling into the fourth or fifth round, he may wind up being a league winner if he stays healthy

A.J. Green is "believed to have suffered a sprained ankle" and he will have an MRI, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Other Bengals beat writers have also reported that Green is dealing with a sprained ankle, but the severity is currently unknown. Green did need a cart to come off the field and he was on crutches after the training staff treated him. This isn't to the same foot that ended his campaign in 2018, and hopefully there's nothing structurally wrong before his 31st birthday on Wednesday. There should be a more official update shortly.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Gut punch.

That offense went into the tank last year when AJ was out, had a crippling effect on Dalton.

Could be a long year in the Nati.
I fear that you are correct. I’ve been really high on mixing, but with this and injuries to the offense of line, I’m starting to become nervous about him.

Sprained ankle?  Good thing there are 6 weeks before the season starts. 
 Even if he is completely healthy come week one, this affects a lot of things if he misses time.   

Their learning a new offense, and getting reps during camp obviously matters. This can also affect his game conditioning.Their learning a new offense, and getting reps during camp obviously matters. This can also affect his game conditioning.

Sprained ankle?  Good thing there are 6 weeks before the season starts. 
 Even if he is completely healthy come week one, this affects a lot of things if he misses time.   

Their learning a new offense, and getting reps during camp obviously matters. This can also affect his game conditioning.Their learning a new offense, and getting reps during camp obviously matters. This can also affect his game conditioning.

Of course, but being completely healthy week one is still a lot better than most things hay get you carted off the field. 

I had a strict “no bengals” policy last year. Worked out well for me. I love AJ Green. I’m not sold on Dalton. Mixon also seems less than durable. There’s just something about the bengals...they may have inadvertently angered an old gypsy woman, incurring her wrath & a host of hexes & jinxes.  :shrug:

WLWT's Elise Jesse reports A.J. Green has escaped with a "low" ankle sprain.

If true, this is the best possible news after Green was carted off the field on Saturday. Even a low sprain could be a multi-week issue in the low-stakes setting of training camp, but it is quite possible Green could still get preseason reps. Barring a setback, he should be ready weeks in advance of Week 1. It appears crisis has been averted for the Bengals.

SOURCE: Elise Jesse on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 7:13 PM ET

It's getting to a point where his value is so low, he's becoming a buy.  When healthy he should still put up solid stats.  

Avoids serious injury and should be a go for the start of the season.  

I like Green if he's healthy and he 'should be' for the start of the year.

Could be a bargain buy from antsy AJ owners ready to pull the rip-cord.

------------------------------------

Fantasy Football King‏ @FFTheKing

If AJ Green's ADP drops even more, he'll be able to get you wins every week he's healthy, at a much lower price. Since he usually misses games later in the year anyway, you'll be getting a better deal this year up front.

4:32 AM - 28 Jul 2019

If he starts dipping into the 4th consistently, I’ll buy every share I can get.  In the 3rd, It’s close between he and Diggs.  Also I like the group of RB’s that go in the 3rd.

Per Schefter:

An MRI revealed that Bengals’ WR A.J. Green has torn ligaments in his left ankle that is likely to sideline him six to eight weeks, source tells ESPN. Green is not expected to be ready for the regular-season opener at Seattle.

The sad part is that even before Green’s injury people were complaining about how bad of shape the Bengals turf was in.

Ilov80s said:
The sad part is that even before Green’s injury people were complaining about how bad of shape the Bengals turf was in.
From the video it looked like Kirkpatrick landed on Green's ankle when he fell down

Yeah I never feel good drafting WRs with TC/PS lower leg injuries. Turns 31 this week so he could easily have 2-3-4 more seasons at his typically high level.

We could also be looking at him potentially misting 4 or more games for the third time in four years. On a historical PPG basis he still has value but what round do you target him at? 6th or later?

Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports A.J. Green will "likely" be sidelined for 6-8 weeks.

The Bengals were hopeful that Green would miss only four weeks with a low ankle sprain, but an MRI revealed torn ligaments in his left ankle. Green isn't expected to have surgery, though he is getting a second opinion to confirm. With a six to eight week timetable for his return, Green is looking doubtful for the season opener and possibly beyond. Green is still a high-end receiver when healthy, but he has missed at least six games in two of the last three seasons. He'll likely miss one to three games with this injury, so Green is no longer a third-round target in fantasy drafts. Green will be 31 years old in 2019.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 28, 2019, 3:27 PM ET

Bengals.com Geoff Hobson writes the team is thinking that A.J. Green will be out four weeks.

Green underwent an MRI this morning on his "low" ankle sprain, and the team is hoping there was no further damage "with the thinking he’d miss four weeks." That's not a firm timetable, but it does line up with the typical recovery time of a non-severe ankle sprain. Green should be ready for Week 1 and could even see preseason work. In early fantasy drafts, Green is being selected as a WR1/2.

SOURCE: Bengals.com

Jul 28, 2019, 2:39 PM ET
Be smart here with AJ Green, Bengals. Don’t rush him back too quickly.

Ilov80s said:
It wasn't the Bengals turf.  They were practicing at the University of Dayton as part of the NFL's 100th anniversary. 

RC94 said:
It's getting to a point where his value is so low, he's becoming a buy.  When healthy he should still put up solid stats.  
The same was said about Dez and DT. Where are they now?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports A.J. Green underwent "minor" ankle surgery.

According to Rapoport, the surgery does not change Green's recovery time, and there is still a chance he is ready to play Week 1. That seems unlikely given the reported 6-8 week timetable, but it is good news that window has not increased. Still a WR1 when on the field, Green could end up being a value pick as his ADP slips into the middle rounds.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

With Ross battling a hamstring injury, and Green being shelved for 6-8 weeks, have to think Tyler Boyd's ADP is starting to shoot up.

Even still, he might be the best WR to own on this squad. I love AJ Green -- and I think he will return and contribute. This seemed more of a fluke injury than anything else, but still makes you wonder at what point time starts to catch him.

Speaking Tuesday, Bengals coach Zac Taylor said A.J. Green (ankle surgery) will miss regular season games.

The team is hopeful it's just "a few" games, but this seriously changes the calculus around Green's average draft position. He sounds all but certain to miss at least two games, with more a distinct possibility. Turning 31 on Wednesday, Green missed seven games last season and six in 2016. John Ross is also on the shelf, leaving Tyler Boyd as the last man standing for the time being. The WR2/3 borderline seems like the appropriate place to gamble on Green right now.

SOURCE: Geoff Hobson on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 4:58 PM ET

So when do you pull the trigger on him? Would you make him your WR2 if he was available or would you go with a safer option?

Users who are viewing this thread