Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official AJ Green

JohnnyU

44 minutes ago, oswizzle said:

A.J. Green (ankle) was sidelined for practice Wednesday.

Green was limited at practice last week but it remains unclear when he'll actually return. Coach Zac Taylor also said he needs to see Green at 100 percent before making a decision on his availability. With no contract extension in hand, it's true guesswork when the stud 31-year-old will decide to take the field. He's still just a stash at this point, with Auden Tate and Alex Erickson playing hefty snaps in the interim.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 2:35 PM ET

Wtf man....

52 minutes ago, oswizzle said:

A.J. Green (ankle) was sidelined for practice Wednesday.

Green was limited at practice last week but it remains unclear when he'll actually return. Coach Zac Taylor also said he needs to see Green at 100 percent before making a decision on his availability. With no contract extension in hand, it's true guesswork when the stud 31-year-old will decide to take the field. He's still just a stash at this point, with Auden Tate and Alex Erickson playing hefty snaps in the interim.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 2:35 PM ET

&$&;$&@$@/>#%. !!

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Theory: Veterans day off...

Chances are, when he does come back, he won’t practice Wednesday’s.

Wouldn't be surprised to see full session on Thursday.

I hope you are right, but I think the more likely scenario is that he's exerting his leverage to get a deal done (extension or trade).  He's never been much of a talker and actions speak louder than words.  Limited practice last week followed by no practice today speaks volumes to mgmt IMO.  Trade deadline looming, team is 0-6...your move Bengals mgmt!

1 minute ago, Morton Muffley said:

I hope you are right, but I think the more likely scenario is that he's exerting his leverage to get a deal done (extension or trade).  He's never been much of a talker and actions speak louder than words.  Limited practice last week followed by no practice today speaks volumes to mgmt IMO.  Trade deadline looming, team is 0-6...your move Bengals mgmt!

What leverage?  They’re 0-6.  

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Theory: Veterans day off...

Chances are, when he does come back, he won’t practice Wednesday’s.

Wouldn't be surprised to see full session on Thursday.

That crossed my mind too. There are a whole host of guys who never practice on Wednesday's. 

Of course, it may also be a precursor to a deal, basically showing last week that he can practice/play. That could be wishful thinking on my end though.

Just now, travdogg said:

That crossed my mind too. There are a whole host of guys who never practice on Wednesday's. 

Of course, it may also be a precursor to a deal, basically showing last week that he can practice/play. That could be wishful thinking on my end though.

If I’m trading for AJG, I actually want to see him play two games so you can see if game 2 looks like game 1.

I don’t think limited practices showcase enough of his physical state.  That said, I don’t think the Bengals trade him.

57 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

If I’m trading for AJG, I actually want to see him play two games so you can see if game 2 looks like game 1.

I don’t think limited practices showcase enough of his physical state.  That said, I don’t think the Bengals trade him.

If you trade for conditional picks,  it might make more sense

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWord said:

What leverage?  They’re 0-6.  

I believe I wrote exactly that in the post you quoted.  IMO, the business that the Bengals are in the business of making money.  That's obviously easier to do when you have a good team, but it's also do-able by selling hope.  That's what the draft is all about.  That's what a new QB (even a retread) is all about, that's what a new coach (even a retread) is all about, and that's what signing star players is all about.  That's the leverage AJ Green has.  Hope sells tickets, and tickets sell beer, food, and merch.  That's the business the Bengals are in right now.  To be clear, it needn't be HOPE for this year.  It could be HOPE for next year.  But HOPE is what AJ Green offers them that they don't have ANY of right now.

1 hour ago, Morton Muffley said:

I believe I wrote exactly that in the post you quoted.  IMO, the business that the Bengals are in the business of making money.  That's obviously easier to do when you have a good team, but it's also do-able by selling hope.  That's what the draft is all about.  That's what a new QB (even a retread) is all about, that's what a new coach (even a retread) is all about, and that's what signing star players is all about.  That's the leverage AJ Green has.  Hope sells tickets, and tickets sell beer, food, and merch.  That's the business the Bengals are in right now.  To be clear, it needn't be HOPE for this year.  It could be HOPE for next year.  But HOPE is what AJ Green offers them that they don't have ANY of right now.

They have #1 pick in the draft hope.

40 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Really?  If you’re AJ, why on earth would you get back out there without a deal?  Trade me or sign me.  Not playing without a new contract. 

He's 31 coming off an injury.  Teams will want to see how healthy he is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shawnky said:

He's 31 coming off an injury.  Teams will want to see how healthy he is.

They will give him a physical and they can make any picks conditional and make any contract incentive-driven.  It’s is not insurmountable.

not practicing may be a Veterans Day off or it might be a sign that he is on the block and there is a serious offer...

1 hour ago, Rove! said:

They will give him a physical and they can make any picks conditional and make any contract incentive-driven.  It’s is not insurmountable.

not practicing may be a Veterans Day off or it might be a sign that he is on the block and there is a serious offer...

or he is still hurt.  Yeah I am going with that one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

or he is still hurt.  Yeah I am going with that one

That's possible of course. 

I doubt I'm the only one that thinks he'd be back on the field if he had a new deal, and/or the Bengals were leading the division.  Feels like he's been slow-playing this thing from the outset.

13 minutes ago, davearm said:

That's possible of course. 

I doubt I'm the only one that thinks he'd be back on the field if he had a new deal, and/or the Bengals were leading the division.  Feels like he's been slow-playing this thing from the outset.

You are not the only one.  That seems to likely be the case.  Kind of like Jalen Ramsey's back problems that shockingly seem to have healed themselves overnight.  Maybe its that LA smog.

23 minutes ago, oswizzle said:

A.J. Green admitted he still has "a little ways to go" in his rehab from offseason ankle surgery.

SOURCE: Tyler Dragon on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 2:02 PM ET

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green admitted he still has "a little ways to go" in his rehab from offseason ankle surgery.

Translation: he won't be suiting against the Jags in Week 7. Green is making progress, though the Bengals continue to list him as a DNP on their practice report. It's a wonder the Bengals didn't simply stash him on injured reserve at the start of the year, though perhaps they didn't anticipate him being gone for this long. Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate will remain Andy Dalton's go-to targets Sunday against Jacksonville.

SOURCE: Tyler Dragon on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 2:02 PM ET

On 10/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, ChuckLiddell said:

Are they still on the hook for AB's salary, or for some reason is that still counted against their cap?  If not, then whatever they were going to pay him is there to use for Green.

NE will carry the cap charge on AB for the remainder of this season no matter what. That will be addressed through grievances in the offseason. If NE ends up not having to pay Brown, they will get a retroactive credit to add to next season’s salary cap. 

NE currently does not have enough room to take on Green (or any other well compensated player). They can create more cap room by trading players (they can move Bennett and free up $3 million). They could also rework contracts (by converting salary to bonuses to space out the salary cap hit). Or they can extend contracts to rearrange the cap hit. 

I would not rule out NE offering a team a draft pick for a player and an even higher draft pick if the trade partner took a guy on the NE roster if it freed up cap room. 

As a NE fan, I am not into them trading for Green. Too banged up. To me, it makes more sense for them to get back Amendola from DET than it is to get someone that has no experience in their system. Most people don’t realize how hard it is for a WR to come in and get a grasp of the offense in the middle of the season. Who knows how much a player can learn and fit in. Chad Johnson couldn’t do it coming from CIN. Maybe Green could learn on the fly, but he hasn’t played in weeks / months. Not worth it IMO.

• Like 1

It's my belief that AJ is slow playing this to stay off the field up until the week before the trade deadline (29th) then magically he will start practicing. It's sort of a version of the Ramsey move just a little more covert which would be totally his style. He seems like a classy dude who doesn't want to whine but he also doesn't want to dip his toes back into this grease fire anymore. There are probably talks going on behind the scenes and Natti is telling him to keep doing what he's doing which gives them more negotiating power since teams won't think they have to trade him.

I could be way off but Natti would be out of their minds to not explore this possibility.

Edited by Futz
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Futz said:

It's my belief that AJ is slow playing this to stay off the field up until the week before the trade deadline (29th) then magically he will start practicing. It's sort of a version of the Ramsey move just a little more covert which would be totally his style. He seems like a classy dude who doesn't want to whine but he also doesn't want to dip his toes back into this grease fire anymore. There are probably talks going on behind the scenes and Natti is telling him to keep doing what he's doing which gives them more negotiating power since teams won't think they have to trade him.

I could be way off but Natti would be out of their minds to not explore this possibility.

Sounds right to me.

1 hour ago, Futz said:

Or he is a 31 year old dude that had surgery on his ankle and its taking a long time for him to get right.

29 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Or he is a 31 year old dude that had surgery on his ankle and its taking a long time for him to get right.

Possibly. I guess it's also possible that Ramsey has a back issue that the Rams chose to ignore when giving up 2 firsts and a 4th all the while still needing to sign him long term. :shrugs:

1 hour ago, Tanner9919 said:

Ramsey faked it like OBJ did late last season, like AJ Green is doing right now.

Agreed.  His health will stay under 100% until the minute he signs or gets traded.  My guess is he doesn't see the field until one of these 2 conditions are met.

• Sad 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports A.J. Green (ankle) isn't expected to return until after the October 29 trade deadline.

That puts Green out at least through Cincinnati's Week 9 bye. The Bengals mainstay is reportedly progressing "nicely" in his return from offseason ankle surgery, though his return is not imminent. There's no rush for Green to return with Cincinnati essentially tanking (the team is still searching for its first win under rookie head coach Zac Taylor). Green has been a source of frequent trade speculation and would be a strong get for receiver-needy teams like the Patriots and Packers, though both sides have downplayed that possibility. With Green's return date a moving target, Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate will continue to operate as Andy Dalton's preferred targets.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Oct 20, 2019, 9:58 AM ET

4 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

That they’re going to trade him for a 2nd and 4th, and they don’t want him injured before they do.

I read the report as:  he is still hurt and its going to be at least 2 more weeks until he is able to play.  Not that he is getting traded.  Maybe I am reading that wrong

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

I read the report as:  he is still hurt and its going to be at least 2 more weeks until he is able to play.  Not that he is getting traded.  Maybe I am reading that wrong

Well, sure.  But do you think they’d actually say, “AJ is fine. He could play this week, but he’s not going to because we are presently exploring trade opportunities and would like to avoid another season ending injury as that would eliminate any potential trade market which may exist.”

5 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Well, sure.  But do you think they’d actually say, “AJ is fine. He could play this week, but he’s not going to because we are presently exploring trade opportunities and would like to avoid another season ending injury as that would eliminate any potential trade market which may exist.”

That is a strange way to try and trade him by still saying he is hurt.  That is not really helping his value

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

That is a strange way to try and trade him by still saying he is hurt.  That is not really helping his value

You don’t think GMs are on the phone, actually talking reality?  You don’t find it just a bit odd that an anticipated 6-8 week recovery from July 30th surgery has them currently pushing his return out beyond a just-a-bit-coincidental trade deadline date of October 29th?  

For those not wanting to look at a calendar, we’re currently 11 weeks post surgery and they’ve already ruled him out to beyond 13 weeks.  Either something has gone tremendously wrong or they’re protecting what is presently the most valuable trade chip on a team going positively nowhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SayWhat? said:

You don’t think GMs are on the phone, actually talking reality?  You don’t find it just a bit odd that an anticipated 6-8 week recovery from July 30th surgery has them currently pushing his return out beyond a just-a-bit-coincidental trade deadline date of October 29th?  

For those not wanting to look at a calendar, we’re currently 11 weeks post surgery and they’ve already ruled him out to beyond 13 weeks.  Either something has gone tremendously wrong or they’re protecting what is presently the most valuable trade chip on a team going positively nowhere.

I don’t find it odd at all that an oft injured 31 year old is still hurt after having surgery 2ish months ago 

Edited by pantherclub
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I don’t find it odd at all that an oft injured 31 year old is still hurt after having surgery 2ish months ago 

Nor do I.  I think both scenarios are firmly in play. The Bengals are idiotic if they opt to sign Green to a large contract instead of trading him, which means they’re likely to ink him to a large contract.