What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (4 Viewers)

I watched a very little bit of this game and AJG looks great. He will struggle to put up consistent numbers as the offense does not look in sync, at least yet. But I don’t think his skills have diminished significantly. 
I concur, A.J looked really good.   Able to separate from the CBs and still has those great hands.    Burrow missed him on what should have been a lay-up TD, and Green had a TD waived off for a bogus offensive interference call.   

If A.J. is your number 2 or number 3 WR, you're going to be very pleased this season.    

He pushed off. The Db did initiate the contact though but he extended his arms. The catch was impressive though and looked prime AJ. He had another sweet sideline adjustment for a 20+ yarder but Burrow threw it just a tad out of bounds. If he stays healthy he’s going to yield a nice return on his ADP.

A.J. Green secured just 3-of-13 targets for 29 yards in the Bengals' Week 2 loss to the Browns. 

It was a rough, rough night for the Bengals' No. 1 receiver, who appeared to get the wind knocked out of him on his very first target. Green didn't miss any time, but he kept coming up short on near catches. Many of them were not perfect passes from Joe Burrow, but they were the kind we are used to seeing AJG come away with. One came in the end zone in the fourth quarter. Maybe the 32-year-old's conditioning is not up to standard after he missed nearly all of training camp. Green has 10 days to lick his wounds ahead of a matchup with the Eagles' perennially undermanned secondary. 

Sep 18, 2020, 12:10 AM ET

I dunno how the NFL decides what a "drop" is, but AJG definitely had several catchable ones get away last night.
Indeed. I wonder if that first injury messed up some ribs that kept him from being able to extend his reach? He didn't look right, despite being able to get some separation.

Indeed. I wonder if that first injury messed up some ribs that kept him from being able to extend his reach? He didn't look right, despite being able to get some separation.
His hands didn’t look great and he seemed to lack explosiveness.   The targets are there though.  

If I didn’t watch the game and heard he had 13 targets I’d be thinking he’s a league winner. Unfortunately, I did watch the game. He looked like a 50 year old coming out of retirement. On the bright side he did get some endzone looks and came close on several passes. Denzel Ward played him tough. I should also remind myself that he is my number 5 WR and id in my lineup because of injuries. He may still end up a bargain. He didn’t look to be in shape and was constantly going in and out of the lineup. 

He looked rusty to me, preseason would have done him some good.

No one on the WW has his talent or opportunity so I don't even consider a move

Yikes! 2018 AJ Green was like Michael Jordan, he was dripping with physical ability and consistently making defenders look silly. 2020 AJ Green looks more like the 40 year old man in your pickup basketball game trying to win with 1950s set shots and cagey picks. Last night was bad. The best comp I can come up with for this AJ Green, at least so far, is Alshon Jeffrey, a big lumbering dude that runs semi slow motion routes and limps around looking ginger as #####. Sure he wins here and there with size and experience but it isn’t pretty and the defense isn’t afraid of him.

I’m holding onto my AJ Green shares—it’s too early to panic and they were cheap anyway—but us Green owners need to be clear eyed about the situation. Unless you have a poster of Alshon Jeffrey’s fat cankles on your bedroom wall, I don’t think this version of AJ is was what you were hoping for when you drafted him….

A.J. Green may be a great "buy low" candidate.    22 targets in the last two games is clear evidence that he's still the alpha in the passing game.   Green will need to build some chemistry with Burrow, and I do expect that to happen.    If A.J's your number 3 WR,  he should get better and produce for you sooner rather than later.   

A.J. Green may be a great "buy low" candidate.    22 targets in the last two games is clear evidence that he's still the alpha in the passing game.   Green will need to build some chemistry with Burrow, and I do expect that to happen.    If A.J's your number 3 WR,  he should get better and produce for you sooner rather than later.   
Alpha? It was Boyd that Burrow went to in the clutch most often. But sure, it may turn around. I wouldn't drop him yet.

Alpha? It was Boyd that Burrow went to in the clutch most often. But sure, it may turn around. I wouldn't drop him yet.
Burrow continuously tried to force it to AJ Green.  Ward was beating AJ Green all night which helped cause 13 targets for 3 catches.  AJ Green also dropped at least 3 passes I would not expect him to.

Hopefully this is just him kicking off the rust after not playing for a very long time plus no offseason. He feels right now like a 3-5 catch guy with 40-50 yards per week and a handful of TD's. I'd hope to start seeing at least a little improvement starting next week especially with 10 days off. Superstars can fall off the cliff very quickly especially after battling years of injury. The Bengal offensive line is atrocious so it's not gonna be easy for Burrow this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
His hands didn’t look great and he seemed to lack explosiveness.   The targets are there though.  
I missed the first half, but in the second I did not see separation and he got his hands on a couple of balls that an elite wr (as he has been) normally would pull in.  He didn't even look close to doing so. 

Also his timing with Burrow seemed to be off.  I am sure it is not so, but it seemed liked Burrow's throws to other wrs were where they needed to be and then the throws to Green...oof.  

13 targets is nice. But, even so, while not panicking, I am concerned.

Right...that's why I wonder if he was still dealing with an upper body injury. He clearly wasn't getting great separation or taking advantage of those go-go-gadget arms.
Certainly this is a better option than that Father Time has come calling for anyone who wants to see the "old" Mr. Green.

A.J. Green struggles in Bengals' loss to Browns

Sometimes the end comes like a speeding road roller traveling at 120 mph, flattening everything in its path.

Is A.J. Green's career staring directly at this steamroller?

The star receiver struggled mightily in Thursday night's 35-30 loss to the Cleveland Browns. It wasn't for lack of effort from rookie quarterback Joe Burrow, who targeted Green a team-high 13 times.

Green caught three of those 13 targets for a measly 29 yards. Per NFL Research, he became one of three receivers with 13-plus targets and fewer than 30 receiving yards in the last 10 years --- Indianapolis' Reggie Wayne in Week 3, 2011 and Carolina's Rashad Greene in Week 1, 2015.

Burrow shouldered blame for some of those struggled connections.

"They started playing more two-high," Burrow said of the Browns, via The Athletic. "He was playing well at the beginning of the game. I missed some throws to A.J. again. I am just going to have to fix that. I can't keep missing throws to A.J. when he gets open like he does."

The rookie is being kind to the venerable veteran receiver.

The ugly truth is that Green wasn't open much. Burrow kept giving him chances, however. The receiver seemed to be fighting the ball at nearly every point. Green missed several catches he'd have made look routine in the past. He seems to be taking odd routes and getting too close to the sideline at certain times, and his timing with Burrow is clearly off.

Green averaged 2.2 yards per target, with a 23.1 catch percentage. His catch percent above expectation, per NextGen Stats, was -14.8 percent (in this case, we'd call it well below expectation). Burrow earned a 39.6 passer rating targeting Green, and threw into a tight window on 30.8 percent of targets to the wideout. Green averaged 1.6 yards of separation Thursday night. He earned 3-plus yards of separation (what NGS declares as "open" throws) 15.4 percent of the time. He was wide open (5-plus yards of separation) zero times in 42 routes.

The old A.J. Green would have had something like four touchdowns Thursday night -- the uncalled DPI late in the game notwithstanding. Instead, he was a highly targeted afterthought.

The 32-year-old couldn't find an inch of separation all game. Some credit goes to Denzel Ward and the Browns D for clamping down. Green was targeted seven times with Ward in coverage and only caught two balls for 14 yards, per ESPN. Blanketing an older man is usually reserved for retirement homes, not the gridiron.

Green simply looked old.

He looked like a player who missed all of 2019 due to an ankle injury. He looked like a player who played nine games total in two years. He looked like a player who needed the scrapped offseason and got dinged up during training camp.

To make matters worse, Green seemed like he'd break in half with every hit or implode like an old TV.

Is this the end for the wideout who opened his career with seven straight Pro Bowls and 1,000-plus yards in six of seven years? Is the star entering the end of the life cycle before a supernova scatters the end of his playing days?

Perhaps a eulogy is premature. Perhaps, despite getting extra rest the first two weeks, the rust simply needs more knocking off. Perhaps the consternation surrounding the former game-breaking WR will appear silly in six weeks.

Will the old A.J. Green return? Or is A.J. Green merely old?

The good for Green owners is that the targets will continue.   The Bengals cant run the ball and Burrow will be slinging it every game.   

Burrow looks good by the way.  The Bengals found their QB.   They need to get an Oline quickly though.  

That article seems a bit extreme/hyperbolic. Prime AJ would have had 4 tds? Please. He definitely looked rusty and certainly not in game shape yet. Understandable after almost 2 years and an injury in training camp. I counted 2 drops and one was a poor throw- well behind him. Still should have caught it but they weren’t quite as bad as Jeudy’s drops on MNF.

He looked like prime AJ the first play of the game but Burrow missed a 60 yard td by a couple feet. Burrow also missed him on another first half down field throw and had a bad throw on one of AJ’s drops. There was a scramble drill deep ball too where AJ had a step but Burrow was long. And one end of the half throw it up ball and another throw away. Like Burrow said they played a safety over the top a lot of the time letting the corner sit on the short stuff. There were 3 throwaway balls, 3 bad misses, 2 drops, and 1 obvious DPI amongst his 10 un-caught targets.

Scooby1974 said:
I didn't get this feel. I was thinking wow he's throwing a lot to the backup TE. Also all game I was wondering why they'd make Thomas active over Tate inactive and he wasn't doing much but then he was pretty key in the 4th. 

I actually like him as a Buy Low. There is too much opportunity with targets/air yards his status as the senior offensive weapon on the team. Also his lack of practice time due to injuries/chemistry with Burrow should improve over time. If he's going to continue getting 9+ targets a game since Cincy should constantly be playing from behind, I want some of that on my team. In fact, made an offer from him yesterday.

Bengals WR A.J. Green said he's almost back in game shape.

Green, who has appeared sluggish to start the year, said he should be in game shape after another week of practice. "I’m still rusty. I’m still learning in this system. Still trying to get comfortable in some of the routes I’m running," Green told reporters. "Just little things like that. I knew there would be some growing pains." The production hasn't been there for Green this season but the opportunity has, as he leads the Bengals with a 23 percent target share. He gets a solid Week 3 matchup against the Eagles. 

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2020, 1:00 PM ET

Follow the targets....Follow the targets...Follow the targets...I cannot express enough enthusiasm for those TRADING FOR him, the schedule in general lines up nice until you get to around the playoffs where Balt and Pitt will be there but you might be able to get him on the cheap and then when he blows up for several weeks vs average teams at best we'll say, you flip him for something else. 

But I think he will be a solid WR2 in the coming weeks and people will wish they had taken a stab for him. 

A.J. Green caught 5-of-6 targets for 36 yards in the Bengals' Week 3 tie with the Eagles.

Green was out-targeted by second-round rookie Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd, who led the team with 13 targets. Joe Burrow attempted 44 passes in Week 3 so Green's six targets accounted for just 13.6% of the team's targets. He was leading the team in targets heading into Week 3 but was scaled back versus the Eagles. At 31 years old, it's looking like Green is going to take a back seat to the younger receiver in Cincinnati this year. He's a WR3 at best versus the Jaguars next week.

- Rotoworld
Yeah... less targets + emergence of Tee Higgins means AJ might've run out of time.

But I think he will be a solid WR2 in the coming weeks and people will wish they had taken a stab for him. 
I was kind of surprised Darius Slay played AJ Green what seemed like most of the game to me. I'm not sure that Green can still beat the #1CB anymore, and certainly not one of the better #1CB's in the league.

JAX has been pretty bad on defense this season, might be a sneaky buy-low right now as frustrated owners look to unload him for pennies. Especially in dynasty.

I was kind of surprised Darius Slay played AJ Green what seemed like most of the game to me. I'm not sure that Green can still beat the #1CB anymore, and certainly not one of the better #1CB's in the league.

JAX has been pretty bad on defense this season, might be a sneaky buy-low right now as frustrated owners look to unload him for pennies. Especially in dynasty.
Yeah he seemed to be following him and that’s just not a great option for the offense compared to Boyd and Higgins against the other dbs. I think the roto blurb anointing Higgins is pretty premature. This is week is a good matchup for AJ, week 5 against Bmore isn’t, and then after that there isn’t another shutdown corner until maybe the Miami tandem week 13. 

Father Time looks like he has caught up to AJ.  He just has not looked that good with the targets he has gotten.  Boyd and Higgins are better right now.

Yeah he seemed to be following him and that’s just not a great option for the offense compared to Boyd and Higgins against the other dbs. I think the roto blurb anointing Higgins is pretty premature. This is week is a good matchup for AJ, week 5 against Bmore isn’t, and then after that there isn’t another shutdown corner until maybe the Miami tandem week 13. 
I'm more inclined to believe this. Green is coming off a year off and no real camp. A slow start was always likely. I think Slay traveling with Green speaks more volumes than anything Boyd/Higgins did. Defenses believe Green is the Bengals #1 WR, and until last week, the targets pointed that way as well. I think he's a good buy-low, as its very likely he is still the #1 on a very pass heavy offense. Especially at his current WR4(maybe less in some leagues) price.

Redraft: I'd buy all day if he were coming at a WR4 price. I just don't see that happening with his name and past success. The targets are there. As others have mentioned, defenses are treating him as the #1. 

Cincy's gonna be forced to pass all year. Inevitable IMO at varying points during the year that Green/Boyd/Higgins will eat. They should all see a healthy amount of targets if Burrow stays healthy.

From watching the game Sunday he just looked plain slow running his routes.   Looked to me like he was playing to not get hurt, like he was almost afraid to open it up cuz he knew there was a good chance he’d hurt himself. I could be wrong though

From watching the game Sunday he just looked plain slow running his routes.   Looked to me like he was playing to not get hurt, like he was almost afraid to open it up cuz he knew there was a good chance he’d hurt himself. I could be wrong though
As some believe, it absolutely could be rust. It could also be that the mid nineties fastball is now a low nineties fastball, which is all it might take to reduce great to good. The facts are that he's 32 and hasn't played since mid 2018 and I believe there's an element of "bad" to that regardless of the cause. You hear the term "fresh legs" about guys who have missed significant time and I always feel like someone is trying to sell me a used car.

Follow the targets....Follow the targets...Follow the targets...I cannot express enough enthusiasm for those TRADING FOR him, the schedule in general lines up nice until you get to around the playoffs where Balt and Pitt will be there but you might be able to get him on the cheap and then when he blows up for several weeks vs average teams at best we'll say, you flip him for something else. 

I have an offer in the table of McKinnon for AJ and I’m thinking of taking it. I’m stronger at running back and absolutely decimated at WR. I don’t even have a WR2 to start this week with AJ Brown our.

Ive always trusted your opinion here MOP (miss your colors coded analyses)

I may have to pull the trigger.

I have an offer in the table of McKinnon for AJ and I’m thinking of taking it. I’m stronger at running back and absolutely decimated at WR. I don’t even have a WR2 to start this week with AJ Brown our.

Ive always trusted your opinion here MOP (miss your colors coded analyses)

I may have to pull the trigger.
AJ Green makes me nervous but if you have good RBs why not flip him while he is healthy? When more RBs return less touches and predictability I think. 

I flipped McKinnon for Ertz before McKinnon played NYG, also had Kittles injury was trying to minimize

Thanks for the kind words

AJ Green makes me nervous but if you have good RBs why not flip him while he is healthy? When more RBs return less touches and predictability I think. 

I flipped McKinnon for Ertz before McKinnon played NYG, also had Kittles injury was trying to minimize

Thanks for the kind words
That’s a nice pickup for you with Goedert going down.

I made that trade. McKinnon doesn’t make my lineup this week in the flex. So his value to me may be even less. And as poor as my WR2 situation is right now with AJ brown down, Green plugs right in. I also hadn’t heard much about mckinnons rib injury and figured I’d do a deal before it’s bad news.

AJ Green has fallen and it appears that he can't get up.

For those of you who have watched him play this year, what is the problem?

Separation? Hands? 

What a terrible drop off. Will he recover or is his career over? 

Packers need some depth at WR. So do the Eagles.  Wonder if they'd explore a trade with the Bengals. Green is on a one year contract. Maybe he needs a change in scenery. 

AJ Green has fallen and it appears that he can't get up.

For those of you who have watched him play this year, what is the problem?

Separation? Hands? 

What a terrible drop off. Will he recover or is his career over? 
Even though there have been wr who still excel at or past his age, he is playing/looking like when a wr gets old.    I noticed a play today where the jets didn’t turn on on an early deep throw.   But not only do I see a lack of burst, but he also is not making grabs that he used to make, which was one of his best attributes.   He also had one of those today where I actually mentioned out loud that he used to typically come down with those balls that he could get his hands on.   His body language shows it too, which might be frustration that it’s not coming together for him thus far.   I originally thought he was simply rusty , but I started thinking last week that Higgins emergence might be coming a year earlier than originally expected.   I suppose it’s still possible for a chemistry to develop with Burrow and Green start looking more like his former self, but some of those aforementioned plays made it look like it is more than rust and chemistry with Burrow.  With the type of chances Burrow gives his WRs on throws, the AJ Green of a few years ago would seemingly be a beautiful match.    

A.J. Green caught 1-of-5 targets for three yards in Week 4 against the Jaguars.

It's another nondescript week for Green, who hasn't went over 60 yards in any game. Green looked to have a shoulder injury and spent some time on the sidelined in the second half. He's on pace for just 56 catches and 484 yards through the first month of the season.  Green's numbers should pick up as he gets back into shape.

Oct 4, 2020, 5:36 PM ET

So is anyone thinking this guy can actually do something anymore? Burrow gave him 15+ targets against Ward/Browns and he only caught 3....cannot make a catch in the redzone to save his life.....this is sad to watch 

So is anyone thinking this guy can actually do something anymore? Burrow gave him 15+ targets against Ward/Browns and he only caught 3....cannot make a catch in the redzone to save his life.....this is sad to watch 
This won't really answer your question, but I watched the Bengals-Browns game and, although I didn't zone in on Green (I was watching Ross, at the time), I can tell you that at least half of his targets were uncatchable. He did drop 1 1/2ish, but most of his targets were way behind him.

Users who are viewing this thread