Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official AJ Green


JohnnyU

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Moniker said:

This won't really answer your question, but I watched the Bengals-Browns game and, although I didn't zone in on Green (I was watching Ross, at the time), I can tell you that at least half of his targets were uncatchable. He did drop 1 1/2ish, but most of his targets were way behind him.

I noticed that as well. But seeing that Burrow was giving highly accurate throws to other receivers, it leaves me wondering why not to Green.  And the best guess I could come up with is that Green either is not running the route correctly or is not getting to where he needs to be fast enough.  Neither is something I want to hear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sweetness_34 said:

So is anyone thinking this guy can actually do something anymore?

I won't completely put a fork in him just on faint hope he is taken a really long time to get his legs back underneath him. So I've not cut him yet but there is nothing you can see or point to that is really encouraging. His fantasy stats stink. His Next Gen Stats for stuff like target separation at time of throw and when the ball arrives are both at rock bottom of the league levels. I have heard 3 ex-scouts/NFL personnel people I follow each say he can't run anymore.

At this point it would appear his game is such he can't rely on his speed and and is now relegated to being a physical contested catch guy and he's not responding well to what might be the new him. Again based on everything I see, all the stats I see, what others are saying he's a shell of himself but I still can't let go and want to see if he just needs a huge ramp up time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Moniker said:

This won't really answer your question, but I watched the Bengals-Browns game and, although I didn't zone in on Green (I was watching Ross, at the time), I can tell you that at least half of his targets were uncatchable. He did drop 1 1/2ish, but most of his targets were way behind him.

Yes, this concerns me given that Burrow is not inaccurate.  That leads me to believe AJG is not getting proper separation or not getting to the right spot.  Both of which are an indication that his skills are dwindling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, menobrown said:

I won't completely put a fork in him just on faint hope he is taken a really long time to get his legs back underneath him. So I've not cut him yet but there is nothing you can see or point to that is really encouraging. His fantasy stats stink. His Next Gen Stats for stuff like target separation at time of throw and when the ball arrives are both at rock bottom of the league levels. I have heard 3 ex-scouts/NFL personnel people I follow each say he can't run anymore.

At this point it would appear his game is such he can't rely on his speed and and is now relegated to being a physical contested catch guy and he's not responding well to what might be the new him. Again based on everything I see, all the stats I see, what others are saying he's a shell of himself but I still can't let go and want to see if he just needs a huge ramp up time.

I hate to see it, as Green is one of my favorites of the last decade, but at this point, not only should Green be behind Higgins, but possibly Auden Tate as well. No separation, some drops(or at least contested catches he used to make) and no RAC. 

He looks exactly like Gronk does at TE. A former great, that maybe just doesn't have it anymore. I wanted to give both a month since they didn't play last season, but there hasn't been any signs of improvement. At least Gronk is still a great blocker. What does Green bring? Leadership?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2020 at 12:00 PM, menobrown said:

I won't completely put a fork in him just on faint hope he is taken a really long time to get his legs back underneath him. So I've not cut him yet but there is nothing you can see or point to that is really encouraging. His fantasy stats stink. His Next Gen Stats for stuff like target separation at time of throw and when the ball arrives are both at rock bottom of the league levels. I have heard 3 ex-scouts/NFL personnel people I follow each say he can't run anymore.

At this point it would appear his game is such he can't rely on his speed and and is now relegated to being a physical contested catch guy and he's not responding well to what might be the new him. Again based on everything I see, all the stats I see, what others are saying he's a shell of himself but I still can't let go and want to see if he just needs a huge ramp up time.

I agree there. And u need to just let it go and part ways with him. The issue with him is quite simple IMO. He's OLD! At 32 yrs of age, and add to that the past 2 yrs of injuries to boot. Just look at the current top 30 WR score rank in non-ppr. With the single exception of Thielen (at age 30) who's the #3 WR in my league, there's not a single other WR in the top 30 who's older than 28. Looking even further at the top 50 WRs, only Edelman (#32) and Cobb (#46) are aged 30. Everyone else (vast majority) are younger than 28. He's useless for both PPR & standard. He's not a possession receiver, his speed is no longer there, crisp route running is suspect, and he's not a physical receiver. There's no need to overthink his performance thus far. Simply put, he's old + the injuries. It's just the natural course of all athletes. Aging into their 30s, all the wear & tear, & especially with serious injuries....It always has, and always will happen to the best of 'em who were once elite seemingly just a few yrs ago, which always sucker fantasy owners into a jam yr after yr cuz they can't let go of the player's past glories, and they can't simply admit or recognize that the player has just gotten OLD!! And sure, once in a awhile, there are players in their 30s who u can feel more justified to have confidence in, cuz of their truly unique god-given physical attributes, or they're known to have taken great care of their body over the yrs. Julio Jones comes to mind at this moment. He's 31, and he's always been a physical freak. He's some1 I'd hold onto, but still, even him. He's no longer a WR1. Persistently nagging injuries here & there, last yr & this yr. It's all adding up & catching up to him too. 

Edited by AuFinger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, habsfan said:

Our disappointment must pale in comparison to the Bengals. That franchise tag deal must be starting to look like a retirement gift...

With Burrow putting up good yards and AJ staying healthy, the lack of production has just been a gut-punch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, habsfan said:

Our disappointment must pale in comparison to the Bengals. That franchise tag deal must be starting to look like a retirement gift...

You might be right.  However, it might be a "just" repayment to the fellow after having had his career glued to them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Faust said:

 

Well thats one thing AJ and the one fantasy team where I own him have in common.

He wants to get traded, and my team wants to trade him too.

He is about to get cut, in a 12 teamer "start 3WRs" league.

Awful, and the schedule doesn't let up for a couple weeks.

 

 TZM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Bengals WR A.J. Green said he'll "push through" his most recent hamstring injury. 

Green was listed as a limited participant in Wednesday's practice. "It's fine," Green said when asked about his injury. "It is what it is. I'll be able to push through it." The veteran, who seems less than thrilled about his role in the offense, should be able to play this week against the Colts if he can practice Thursday and Friday. He's nothing more than a WR4 without much upside. Fellow Bengals WR Tee Higgins is a better fantasy play going forward. 

RELATED: 

Tee Higgins

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter 

Oct 15, 2020, 12:54 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have him in a 14 team dynasty with 3 flex spots, I have had him since before his prime and I am not sure what i can do with him.

 

Do I just cut him, or do i keep him and hope the week that I need to start him he has 4 catches for 50 yards?

 

I assume everyone that is not in a deep league has already cut bait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Bengals WR A.J. Green (hamstring) was limited at Thursday's practice. 

Green told reporters Thursday that he would "push through" his latest injury. Overtaken by rookie Tee Higgins, Green is little more than a low-end WR4 in Week 6 against a tough Colts defense. Green said he did not want to be traded after loafing during last week's blowout loss to Baltimore. 

RELATED: 

Tee Higgins

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter 

Oct 15, 2020, 4:26 PM ET

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

A.J. Green caught 8-of-11 targets for a season-high 96 yards in Cincinnati's Week 6 loss to the Colts.

He also dropped a 50-yard catch that Joe Burrow slightly underthrew. The primary takeaway is that the Bengals (finally) used Green properly, transitioning him into the slot at times and having him use his lengthy frame and reliable hands to move the chains on slant routes rather than forcing him to try and separate downfield — a feat he struggles to accomplish at this stage of his career. Green's 11 targets led the team, and his 8/96 receiving both qualified as season-high marks. Assuming coach Zac Taylor continues using Green this way in Week 7 against Cleveland, his floor will be much more reliable as a bye-week filler.

Oct 18, 2020, 5:00 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big key is this: is Zac Taylor the type of coordinator to capitalize on this and keep using an obviously limited A.J. Green the same way vs. Cleveland/the future? The big slot WR is something teams are finally capitalizing on the last year or two, and giving A.J. more short possession routes would turn him into a fine fantasy WR3. Burrow only threw 39 times today and Green still got a 28% target share.

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

“Only threw 39 times today” about a rookie QB.

My how the NFL has changed lol

I mean these kind of games I'm expecting 50+ passes from him, especially when Joe Mixon got dinged up. That's why I love this offense for fantasy; with the volume Burrow has he can easily support 3 WRs (Boyd, Higgins, and whomever else steps up). Today that 3rd WR was A.J. Green.

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Frankman said:

The big key is this: is Zac Taylor the type of coordinator to capitalize on this and keep using an obviously limited A.J. Green the same way vs. Cleveland/the future? The big slot WR is something teams are finally capitalizing on the last year or two, and giving A.J. more short possession routes would turn him into a fine fantasy WR3. Burrow only threw 39 times today and Green still got a 28% target share.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by limited? He looks pretty close to the same guy we saw 2 years ago. Was not having good chemistry and seems to be in his head are the main reasons for his struggles early on in my book. Not that he was ever a separator but his yards per seperation are higher now than they were 2 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2020 at 4:20 PM, mrfrood said:

"Green was the Bengals' best player on Sunday according to Pro Football Focus. He finished with an 86.9 overall grade, which was by far his best of the season."

Green says he felt the best he has felt all season and feels like his younger self. 

Green dropped in many leagues, but I wonder if things are turning around. I'm thinking he could easily be in my flex spot this weekend.

Green was peppered with targets (13) in week 2 against CLE. He and Burrow obviously not on the same page yet with only 3 receptions. Then AJ banged up and it's been a bit of a dead zone until last week when he popped for 11 targets, 8-96.

Now Cinci is at home and facing CLE again. CLE secondary is horrid. Maybe no Mixon or a limited Mixon. Green says he feels great and maybe the chemistry is finally there.

Sneaky start this week. Could go 2-12-0, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him have a bit of a resurgence here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

Green dropped in many leagues, but I wonder if things are turning around. I'm thinking he could easily be in my flex spot this weekend.

Green was peppered with targets (13) in week 2 against CLE. He and Burrow obviously not on the same page yet with only 3 receptions. Then AJ banged up and it's been a bit of a dead zone until last week when he popped for 11 targets, 8-96.

Now Cinci is at home and facing CLE again. CLE secondary is horrid. Maybe no Mixon or a limited Mixon. Green says he feels great and maybe the chemistry is finally there.

Sneaky start this week. Could go 2-12-0, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him have a bit of a resurgence here.

I watched that week 2 game, most of the "targets" were throwaways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm debating dropping Jeudy to pick up Green. I just don't know if it's too early to give up on Jeudy. Lock has only been back from injury for 1 game, and there's still plenty of time for him to develop chemistry with Jeudy. And on the other side, why should I trust 1 good game from Green after 5 games of garbage? If they just ran him on a bunch of slants to manufacture catches, you have to ask why? Was it to get his confidence back and establish a connection with Burrow? To showcase him for a potential trade? Or are they really going to use him like this the rest of the season? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Broncobiv said:

I'm debating dropping Jeudy to pick up Green. I just don't know if it's too early to give up on Jeudy. Lock has only been back from injury for 1 game, and there's still plenty of time for him to develop chemistry with Jeudy. And on the other side, why should I trust 1 good game from Green after 5 games of garbage? If they just ran him on a bunch of slants to manufacture catches, you have to ask why? Was it to get his confidence back and establish a connection with Burrow? To showcase him for a potential trade? Or are they really going to use him like this the rest of the season? 

I have had the same thought but am sticking with Jeudy.   He should improve as the season progresses and he has a better QB returning.    There are a lot of mouths to feed in Cincy also.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Didn't he catch a long one his first target, but was out of bounds? Looked like he got hurt on that

Found it. First play of the game.

1st & 10 at CIN 39

(14:54 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass deep left to A.Green ran ob at CLV 26 for 35 yards. CIN-A.Green was injured during the play. Cleveland challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED.(Shotgun) J.Burrow pass incomplete deep left to A.Green. CIN-A.Green was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Found it. First play of the game.

1st & 10 at CIN 39

(14:54 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass deep left to A.Green ran ob at CLV 26 for 35 yards. CIN-A.Green was injured during the play. Cleveland challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED.(Shotgun) J.Burrow pass incomplete deep left to A.Green. CIN-A.Green was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

Yup he was open but it was a bad throw. Burrow missed him 2-3 times. Had a few throwaways that were officially targets. And AJ had a couple drops. And the end zone target last Bengals drive where he was open, throw was there, but the DB smacked down one of his arms early (no call).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

A.J. Green caught 7-of-13 targets for 82 yards in the Bengals' Week 7 loss to the Browns.

Advice: This is now back-to-back games of at least 80 yards on double-digit targets for Green. He's slowing becoming more involved in the offense after bottoming out with three yards in Weeks 4 and 5 combined. With John Ross out of the picture and Auden Tate serving mostly as a backup, Green is locked in as a starting receiver on one of the highest-volume passing offenses in the league. He projects as a WR3 moving forward.

- Rotoworld

 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, travdogg said:

Anyone think they have been showcasing Green for a deadline deal? Seems like he'd still fetch a decent pick, and they already have his replacement.

No.

The Carson Palmer trade was only in-season trade I believe they've made since the 70's and that took getting two #1's for a player who was not playing and threatening to retire.

 

ETA-I just read they will try and trade Carlos Dunlap who has basically gone nuclear trying to get out of town, so much for my post.. So I guess if you look at Dunbar and Palmer there is a way to force the Bengals hand to make a trade if you are disruptive enough, won't show or just give Mike Brown and offer he can't refuse. But I still don't think they actually plan on making in-season trades so I still don't think they are showcasing AJG.

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2020 at 2:02 AM, menobrown said:

No.

The Carson Palmer trade was only in-season trade I believe they've made since the 70's and that took getting two #1's for a player who was not playing and threatening to retire.

 

ETA-I just read they will try and trade Carlos Dunlap who has basically gone nuclear trying to get out of town, so much for my post.. So I guess if you look at Dunbar and Palmer there is a way to force the Bengals hand to make a trade if you are disruptive enough, won't show or just give Mike Brown and offer he can't refuse. But I still don't think they actually plan on making in-season trades so I still don't think they are showcasing AJG.

DOes the Dunlap trade to SEA make an AJ Green trade more likely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, trader jake said:

DOes the Dunlap trade to SEA make an AJ Green trade more likely?

No or I should say not unless AJG is causing a massive disturbance behind the scenes that no one is reporting. Dunbar went full nuclear on the team, forced his way out of town.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...