What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (6 Viewers)

A.J. Green caught 2-of-5 targets for 19 yards in the Bengals' Week 8 win over the Titans. 

Green entered the afternoon coming off back-to-back 7/80 performances. Averaging just 10.2 yards per catch at the season's mid-way point, Green is on pace for 62/632/0. Playing better of late in an offense that will have to remain pass heavy, Green's pace stats will likely improve, but he seems unlikely to claw his way back to WR2 status. He will be a low-floor WR3 for Week 10 against the Steelers after the Bengals come off bye. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
The Titans couldn't stop the other WRs and the throws to Green seemed forced and unnecessary as Butler was the only one covering reasonably. I wouldn't put anything into this game

A.J. Green was held catchless on five targets in the Bengals' Week 10 loss to the Steelers. 

Green has now bookended the Bengals' Week 9 bye with disastrous five-target performances. Losing work to Auden Tate, Green's WR4 case is evaporating just as quickly as it re-appeared following his awful start to the season. It's not a matter of bad luck. Green simply hasn't been very good, flopping both the box score and eye tests. Washington isn't an appealing Week 11 matchup. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. said A.J. Green will likely move on from the Bengals next season. 

After the team tried to force Green into the offensive game plan early this season, he's fallen well behind Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. On Sunday against the Dolphins, Green had his second straight catchless outing. "I’m not sure what his market will be, but I can’t imagine a return here being something either side is interested in at this point," Dehner said. "He will move on, with the torch already passed to Higgins as WR1." Dehner mentioned Josh Reynolds as a third receiver the Bengals could sign this offseason. Green could play out his final years as the third or fourth option on a contending team or a No. 2 option on a bad team. Fantasy wise, he shouldn't be rostered in any format for the remainder of the season. 

RELATED: 

Josh Reynolds

, Tee Higgins

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Dec 8, 2020, 9:11 AM ET

A.J. Green caught 6-of-7 targets for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' Week 14 loss to the Cowboys.

Green's seven targets were third on the team behind Tyler Boyd (nine) and Tee Higgins (eight), but the veteran led the team in catches and yards and also accounted for the team's lone touchdown with a five-yarder in the second quarter. The catches were Green's first ones since Week 11 despite playing 82%-plus of the snaps each of the previous two weeks. Green just doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank after multiple lower-body injuries over the last couple years. Green will be a WR5 next week against the Steelers. He didn't catch any of his five targets against Pittsburgh in Week 10.

- Rotoworld

A.J. Green caught 2-of-3 targets for 40 yards in the Bengals' Week 15 win over the Steelers.

Ryan Finley threw just 13 passes, so Green's 40 yards actually led the team. His big catch was a perfect sideline shot from Finley for a 30-yard pickup. Green has still failed to produce a 100-yard game this season and has just two touchdowns. Treat him as a WR4/5 for Week 16 at Houston.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:49 PM ET

X-factor to consider is Green is one behind the franchise record for receiving touchdowns - gotta think they are gonna do the utmost to get him that in what are likely his last 2 games as a Bengal.

-QG

So while he hasn't completely close the door, realistically this looks like AJ's last game with the Bengals :(

My questions to FBG peeps are these:

1) would you want your team to sign AJ Green

2) If yes to #1 what would be the highest offer you would want your team to make.

Please mention the team you support in the replies.  Thanks! :)

-QG

So while he hasn't completely close the door, realistically this looks like AJ's last game with the Bengals :(

2) If yes to #1 what would be the highest offer you would want your team to make.

-QG
Jets. (No, really.)

1) No way

He's washed. That's all. That's it. He might operate a bit from the slot, but the Jets already have two younger, better slot receivers in Berrios and Crowder. We need help on the outside, please.

-QG
I don't really have a team I support anymore but I would say that if Brady, Brees, and/or Rivers come back I would want Green as a fan of any of those teams.

The answer for the $ offer is a bit of a cop-out but I obviously only want my team to make a an incentive laden deal with little(maybe NO) guaranteed money. I honestly think he's going to get next to no guaranteed money anyway so he may as well sign the deal that has the highest incentives as possible in the best situation as possible. Gruden loves veterans and his all-young-WR model hasn't worked exactly as planned so I can imagine he might have some interest as well just having Green around as a player/coach for all those young guys if nothing else.

I think one thing that helps Green in getting a job is the salary cap situation for 2021. Guys like Allen Robinson and TY Hilton might be surprised that teams(missing an entire season of ticket sales/concessions/parking/etc) have tight wallets and may paint themselves into a Clowney situation waiting for the market to come up to their asking price. This may not be a "normal" FA signing period. For that matter there may even be less tape on some of the college players so teams may even plan on leaning on 2021 rookies as much as they normally would. 

Essentially, there won't be much competition for his services so the risk is small. The biggest risk is losing his reps to a younger player on the roster that might develop into something. If you have a Brady/Brees/Rivers you have to win in the moment and probably aren't worried as much about developing a WR#3 three years from now.

-QG
The Bengals 'have to' trade 2,3 even 4 WRs as they're loaded.

I love Auden Tate after seeing him fill in for Green last year and he didn't disappoint in limited action this year. Still, he's no fifth or sixth WR.

They need other talent and have to make some moves. It's not going to hurt them if they only kept three WRs and traded everyone else away. They can get depth. Imagine if Tate or Green got them a lineman in trade this past off-season?

I don't think Green fetches anything. It seems customary to drop an old WR and have some team give him another chance. I can't think of many older WRs traded.

I thought Green had some issues with balls thrown too hard that he should have caught and would have when he was younger. Despite what ya read, I didn't see a lot of awful drops and bad routes or whatever criticism. He's slower but puts CBs on his back fine like every older WR learns to do.

I figure he'll have as many teams interested directly correlated with what his agents asking price is- the more affordable he is, the more teams interested.

Oh I'm not talking about my Bengals trading AJ.  His contract is up and he's a free agent.  Both the Bengals and teams are in "this is probably goodbye mode" with proper tributes and thanks but he hasn't authoritatively ruled out a return.  So I'm more asking what the impression of the other 31 markets is of AJ and what kind of interest and contract would be there to be had. 

As for the Bengals having a zillion receivers...um...we don't.  There are only 4 WRs under contract for next season:  Boyd, Higgins, Tate, and perhaps surprisingly Stanley Morgan (though Tate and Morgan can be let go with no dead cap).  It would not be a surprise to see us draft a WR (though Chase might be the only one we'd take with a high pick) but there are jobs to be had regardless.  I think it would take a ridiculously dry market for AJ's services and it would be at a steep discount.  I think the most likely scenario is a James Lofton or Terrell Owens type of situation.  I think a ring-chasing type contract is very possible.  I think if it's a case where only building/bad teams are in the mix then it's more likely he would come back assuming the Bengals would want him and the terms were agreeable.

But enough about what I think :)

-QG

Signed by Cardinals, 1 year $8 million
NBC Sports Edge take:

Cardinals signed WR A.J. Green, formerly of the Bengals, to a one-year, $8 million contract.

Soon-to-be 33-year-old (in July) Green looked absolutely cooked last season with the Bengals. He saw a boat load of air yards with Cincinnati but was unable to do anything with them, turning 104 targets into a measly 47-523-2 line. Quarterback play wasn't the problem, either. In Arizona, coach Kliff Kingsbury likes to use a ton of three- and four-wide sets, but DeAndre Hopkins has such a commanding share of the targets in the desert, and Christian Kirk is also still in the mix. If Kyler Murray can take some steps forward as a passer, Green could find his way into WR3 numbers, but the hopes aren't high after watching him in 2020.

RELATED: 

Cincinnati Bengals

Mar 17, 2021, 1:21 PM ET

Should be interesting to see what's actually guaranteed in that deal. 

He looked done last year.  And that's when he actually looked like he cared to be out there. JMO He's a downgrade from Fitzgerald if Larry is infact done. I think they theoretically might think Green offers them a vertical component that Larry doesn't but nothing about 2020 (and a year off before that....could probably say 2 years off by how he performed in 2020) says Green offers anything vertically either.

Just....why? AZ has a dearth of WRs, starting with Hopkins, Kirk & an ancient Fitz. They have a couple young cats in Isabella & KeeSean Johnson.

Green looked completely washed last year. What could AJ Green possibly bring to the table? 

Should be interesting to see what's actually guaranteed in that deal. 

He looked done last year.  
Totally 100% washed. Maybe he mentally checked out after the injury to Burrow, but when Burrow was healthy he turned in a ~50% catch rate, and from the games I saw he was simply abused by DBs. 

Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said A.J. Green has "a lot left in the tank." 

Obviously Keim hasn't drafted Green in fantasy leagues over the past three seasons. "Runs great routes, really strong in traffic," Keim said of Green, who last week signed a one-year, $8 million contract with Arizona. "I think he was the third-best receiver in the NFL this past year with catching balls in traffic, and really strong hands, still has the vertical speed, runs crisp routes." It's true: Only DeVante Parker and Allen Robinson had more contested catches in 2020. But when an aged receiver can no longer separate from coverage, he's going to see a bunch of chances to grab contested balls. Indeed, Green had the second most contested targets in 2020, appearing either slow or disinterested through much of the season. He averaged a meager 1.7 yards of separation per target, tied for worst among all receivers. Green's 2021 fantasy floor and ceiling are awfully close to each other. 

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Mar 23, 2021, 10:02 AM ET

Emmit Smith, Edgerrin James, Watt and now AJG. The Cardinals are like that guy in your dynasty league who overpay for big name over the hill players they've had ownership envy over for years.

Maybe a change of scenery, to an organization that currently appears to be interested in winning, and certainly in the conversation for being in a 'Championship Window', with an exciting playmaking qb leading the offense, and Hall-of-Fame caliber locker room types like Watt and Fitz is just what a guy like AJ Green needs to up his game back to a high level, if, in fact, he was 'uninterested', aka tired of being a Bengal for his entire career. Hasn't exactly been a garden party there during his tenure.

Speaking Wednesday, coach Kliff Kingsbury said A.J. Green will miss some practice time with a "minor issue."

Kingsbury said he's going to keep injury news private this summer, stating he doesn't have to report on ailments until Week 1. So this is what we get. Kingsbury expects Green back "sooner than later," but it sounds like he's going to miss the rest of this week. Green's absence will allow guys like Andy Isabella and rookie Rondale Moore to get more work with the first-team offense with Christian Kirk also sidelined with a "minor" injury at the moment.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Aug 4, 2021, 2:09 PM ET

I ended up with Green in a lot of my leagues as a WR7-8. One of my all time favorite WRs. He is in a great situation to make a comeback if he can stay on the field.

A.J. Green caught 5-of-6 targets for 67 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 4 win over the Rams. 

Green matched his season high for catches while drawing exactly six targets for the fourth time in four 2021 appearances. The touchdown was his second in three weeks. He simply ran by David Long and hauled in a conventional deep target from Kyler Murray for a 41-yard score. It was the only noise Green made all day, but he has been picking his spots well for this elite offense, settling him in as a low-end WR4. The Niners' downtrodden secondary is an excellent Week 5 matchup.

A.J. Green caught 1-of-2 targets for 13 yards in the Cardinals' Week 5 win over the 49ers. 

Today was the first time as a Cardinal Green drew fewer than six looks. The Cardinals' volume was down in a would-be shootout that turned into a slugfest, especially in the second half. Green's Arizona floor has been higher than expected, but he's had one ceiling effort in five contests, and it came on six targets. Week 6 opponent Cleveland was coughing up big plays left and right against the Chargers on Sunday, so Green will have some WR4 legitimacy as he returns to Ohio. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

A.J. Green caught 5-of-7 targets for 50 yards in the Cardinals' Week 8 loss to the Packers. 

Green's statline wasn't anything out of the ordinary — those are almost literally the numbers he posts every week — but it was his final target that will be the source of intrigue and bafflement for weeks to come. With the Cardinals driving for the game-winning touchdown with 0:15 remaining, Green found himself 1-on-1 with Rasul Douglas in the end zone and ... just kept blocking? Or something? For reasons unknown? It is difficult to say what Green's plan was, but it backfired in the form of a game-ending mistake as the ball batted up into the air and Douglas safely deposited it for an interception. Green looked like glitching Madden AI. Displaying zero upside in this deep, spread-out offense, Green will be a low-end WR4 for Week 9 against the 49ers' undermanned secondary. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Cardinals placed A.J. Green on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Green will need to return two negative COVID tests 24 hours apart before being activated from the COVID list, assuming he is vaccinated. With his positive test coming in the middle of the week, it's unlikely that he's able to suit up for the Cardinals' Week 9 showdown with the 49ers. Green being removed from the lineup should thrust Rondale Moore into a prominent role. Moore has topped a 50-percent snap share in each of the previous three weeks and could now be in line for something closer to an every-down gig. He'll go from being an end-of-the-bench stash to a WR3/4 if Green doesn't play this week.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Nov 3, 2021, 4:56 PM ET

A.J. Green caught 7-of-10 targets for 102 yards in the Cardinals' Week 14 loss to the Rams.

Green's 10 targets were a close second on the team behind DeAndre Hopkins' 12, but Green out-produced Hopkins' 5-54 line en route to his second 100-yard game of the season on a team-high 102 yards. Kyler Murray inflated everyone's target total with a season-high 49 pass attempts. Green still hasn't scored since Week 6 and remains a low-floor WR4. He does, however, get a good Week 15 matchup with the one-win Lions.

Dec 14, 2021, 12:11 AM ET

I posted this last week:

Posted Thursday at 12:43 AM

(I know this is the Hopkins thread, but lots of folks will need to replace him so hopefully
this is not an inappropriate question.)

I see that Schefter says that Kirk is the wr to pick up.  But the elder statesmen showed
well this past week... and what if... Kirk keeps his role and Green takes Hopkins role?  Am
I way off base in taking a pretty large leap onto the Green train?

To bring this into the correct thread.  I was unable to see any games this week.  Clearly Green's stat line is horrific. But the game was seemingly horrific for everyone not named Kirk.   If the Cardinals return to "normal", is there hope for Green, or did he seem to be the "old" Green from his final year in Cinci?

Always figured he'd re-sign if they wanted him. Just mildly surprised they wanted him. Would have much rather seen a Fuller or Julio level signing. Maybe they still draft a WR in the first 3 rounds?

AJ is supposedly an aging WR, a shell of his former self. Probably last year he plays @ 34 years of age. ARI opens at home with KC. Mahomes and company likely to put up some decent points and favored to win. Moore ruled out, and Ertz very questionable - snap count if he plays. D Hopkins suspended for 6 games. ARI is going to throw the ball in this game. Who else is Murray gonna throw to except Hollywood Brown? I'm kinda desperate for a 3rd WR this week. Since I did pick up Hopkins - then Moore or AJ Green seem to be an obvious potential play. My other dude is rookie George Pickens. Is AJ Green worth a shot for a freak TD and 4-5 catches for 50 yards, certainly a possibility. Same can be said about Pickens too.

AJ is supposedly an aging WR, a shell of his former self. Probably last year he plays @ 34 years of age. ARI opens at home with KC. Mahomes and company likely to put up some decent points and favored to win. Moore ruled out, and Ertz very questionable - snap count if he plays. D Hopkins suspended for 6 games. ARI is going to throw the ball in this game. Who else is Murray gonna throw to except Hollywood Brown? I'm kinda desperate for a 3rd WR this week. Since I did pick up Hopkins - then Moore or AJ Green seem to be an obvious potential play. My other dude is rookie George Pickens. Is AJ Green worth a shot for a freak TD and 4-5 catches for 50 yards, certainly a possibility. Same can be said about Pickens too.
Depending on league size, he's definitely a viable play this week. Should be a high scoring game and Brown/Green are their best WR options.

The guy played pretty damn well last year, so unless he has totally taken the final plunge off the cliff, I could see a 6/7 catch game this week happening.

I'm going to roll him out in the flex over Hines in a 14 teamer.

That ship has long since sailed. He's worth even less than Julio Jones, which they entered the league the same year.

That ship has long since sailed. He's worth even less than Julio Jones, which they entered the league the same year.
This is another flawed opinion of yours with no logic behind it. I think both are we fodder, but if I was forced to roster 1, Green would be far ahead. He can stay and his numbers more than doubled Jones last year.

This is another flawed opinion of yours with no logic behind it. I think both are we fodder, but if I was forced to roster 1, Green would be far ahead. He can stay and his numbers more than doubled Jones last year.
No, it is a flawed opinion of yours. When on the field it seem to me Jones had more in the tank than Green. Trouble is, staying on the field.

With no Hopkins or Moore, Green is a pretty sneaky bet for something like a 6-80-1 line, as the #2 or #3 option in what is likely to be a shoot out this week.

No, it is a flawed opinion of yours. When on the field it seem to me Jones had more in the tank than Green. Trouble is, staying on the field.
Numbers and logic show different.

Numbers and logic show different.
I think both of them are shot.

Users who are viewing this thread