Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why did it take me 40 ####### years to find this thread.. If I remember correctly, according to Warren Sharp, Green only lined up in the slot on ~10% of his snaps last year. What I noticed on his

Boot OFF get hype

They played themselves when they didn't trade him.

A.J. Green caught 7-of-13 targets for 82 yards in the Bengals' Week 7 loss to the Browns.

Advice: This is now back-to-back games of at least 80 yards on double-digit targets for Green. He's slowing becoming more involved in the offense after bottoming out with three yards in Weeks 4 and 5 combined. With John Ross out of the picture and Auden Tate serving mostly as a backup, Green is locked in as a starting receiver on one of the highest-volume passing offenses in the league. He projects as a WR3 moving forward.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
8 hours ago, travdogg said:

Anyone think they have been showcasing Green for a deadline deal? Seems like he'd still fetch a decent pick, and they already have his replacement.

No.

The Carson Palmer trade was only in-season trade I believe they've made since the 70's and that took getting two #1's for a player who was not playing and threatening to retire.

ETA-I just read they will try and trade Carlos Dunlap who has basically gone nuclear trying to get out of town, so much for my post.. So I guess if you look at Dunbar and Palmer there is a way to force the Bengals hand to make a trade if you are disruptive enough, won't show or just give Mike Brown and offer he can't refuse. But I still don't think they actually plan on making in-season trades so I still don't think they are showcasing AJG.

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 2:02 AM, menobrown said:

No.

The Carson Palmer trade was only in-season trade I believe they've made since the 70's and that took getting two #1's for a player who was not playing and threatening to retire.

ETA-I just read they will try and trade Carlos Dunlap who has basically gone nuclear trying to get out of town, so much for my post.. So I guess if you look at Dunbar and Palmer there is a way to force the Bengals hand to make a trade if you are disruptive enough, won't show or just give Mike Brown and offer he can't refuse. But I still don't think they actually plan on making in-season trades so I still don't think they are showcasing AJG.

DOes the Dunlap trade to SEA make an AJ Green trade more likely?

22 minutes ago, trader jake said:

DOes the Dunlap trade to SEA make an AJ Green trade more likely?

No or I should say not unless AJG is causing a massive disturbance behind the scenes that no one is reporting. Dunbar went full nuclear on the team, forced his way out of town.

• Thanks 1

A.J. Green caught 2-of-5 targets for 19 yards in the Bengals' Week 8 win over the Titans. 

Green entered the afternoon coming off back-to-back 7/80 performances. Averaging just 10.2 yards per catch at the season's mid-way point, Green is on pace for 62/632/0. Playing better of late in an offense that will have to remain pass heavy, Green's pace stats will likely improve, but he seems unlikely to claw his way back to WR2 status. He will be a low-floor WR3 for Week 10 against the Steelers after the Bengals come off bye. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

The Titans couldn't stop the other WRs and the throws to Green seemed forced and unnecessary as Butler was the only one covering reasonably. I wouldn't put anything into this game

A.J. Green was held catchless on five targets in the Bengals' Week 10 loss to the Steelers. 

Green has now bookended the Bengals' Week 9 bye with disastrous five-target performances. Losing work to Auden Tate, Green's WR4 case is evaporating just as quickly as it re-appeared following his awful start to the season. It's not a matter of bad luck. Green simply hasn't been very good, flopping both the box score and eye tests. Washington isn't an appealing Week 11 matchup. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
  • 4 weeks later...

The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. said A.J. Green will likely move on from the Bengals next season. 

After the team tried to force Green into the offensive game plan early this season, he's fallen well behind Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. On Sunday against the Dolphins, Green had his second straight catchless outing. "I’m not sure what his market will be, but I can’t imagine a return here being something either side is interested in at this point," Dehner said. "He will move on, with the torch already passed to Higgins as WR1." Dehner mentioned Josh Reynolds as a third receiver the Bengals could sign this offseason. Green could play out his final years as the third or fourth option on a contending team or a No. 2 option on a bad team. Fantasy wise, he shouldn't be rostered in any format for the remainder of the season. 

RELATED: 

Josh Reynolds

, Tee Higgins

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Dec 8, 2020, 9:11 AM ET

A.J. Green caught 6-of-7 targets for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' Week 14 loss to the Cowboys.

Green's seven targets were third on the team behind Tyler Boyd (nine) and Tee Higgins (eight), but the veteran led the team in catches and yards and also accounted for the team's lone touchdown with a five-yarder in the second quarter. The catches were Green's first ones since Week 11 despite playing 82%-plus of the snaps each of the previous two weeks. Green just doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank after multiple lower-body injuries over the last couple years. Green will be a WR5 next week against the Steelers. He didn't catch any of his five targets against Pittsburgh in Week 10.

- Rotoworld

A.J. Green caught 2-of-3 targets for 40 yards in the Bengals' Week 15 win over the Steelers.

Ryan Finley threw just 13 passes, so Green's 40 yards actually led the team. His big catch was a perfect sideline shot from Finley for a 30-yard pickup. Green has still failed to produce a 100-yard game this season and has just two touchdowns. Treat him as a WR4/5 for Week 16 at Houston.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:49 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

So while he hasn't completely close the door, realistically this looks like AJ's last game with the Bengals :(

My questions to FBG peeps are these:

1) would you want your team to sign AJ Green

2) If yes to #1 what would be the highest offer you would want your team to make.

Please mention the team you support in the replies.  Thanks! :)

-QG

6 minutes ago, QuizGuy66 said:

So while he hasn't completely close the door, realistically this looks like AJ's last game with the Bengals :(

2) If yes to #1 what would be the highest offer you would want your team to make.

-QG

Jets. (No, really.)

1) No way

He's washed. That's all. That's it. He might operate a bit from the slot, but the Jets already have two younger, better slot receivers in Berrios and Crowder. We need help on the outside, please.

1 hour ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

I don't really have a team I support anymore but I would say that if Brady, Brees, and/or Rivers come back I would want Green as a fan of any of those teams.

The answer for the $ offer is a bit of a cop-out but I obviously only want my team to make a an incentive laden deal with little(maybe NO) guaranteed money. I honestly think he's going to get next to no guaranteed money anyway so he may as well sign the deal that has the highest incentives as possible in the best situation as possible. Gruden loves veterans and his all-young-WR model hasn't worked exactly as planned so I can imagine he might have some interest as well just having Green around as a player/coach for all those young guys if nothing else.

I think one thing that helps Green in getting a job is the salary cap situation for 2021. Guys like Allen Robinson and TY Hilton might be surprised that teams(missing an entire season of ticket sales/concessions/parking/etc) have tight wallets and may paint themselves into a Clowney situation waiting for the market to come up to their asking price. This may not be a "normal" FA signing period. For that matter there may even be less tape on some of the college players so teams may even plan on leaning on 2021 rookies as much as they normally would. 

Essentially, there won't be much competition for his services so the risk is small. The biggest risk is losing his reps to a younger player on the roster that might develop into something. If you have a Brady/Brees/Rivers you have to win in the moment and probably aren't worried as much about developing a WR#3 three years from now.

7 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

The Bengals 'have to' trade 2,3 even 4 WRs as they're loaded.

I love Auden Tate after seeing him fill in for Green last year and he didn't disappoint in limited action this year. Still, he's no fifth or sixth WR.

They need other talent and have to make some moves. It's not going to hurt them if they only kept three WRs and traded everyone else away. They can get depth. Imagine if Tate or Green got them a lineman in trade this past off-season?

I don't think Green fetches anything. It seems customary to drop an old WR and have some team give him another chance. I can't think of many older WRs traded.

I thought Green had some issues with balls thrown too hard that he should have caught and would have when he was younger. Despite what ya read, I didn't see a lot of awful drops and bad routes or whatever criticism. He's slower but puts CBs on his back fine like every older WR learns to do.

I figure he'll have as many teams interested directly correlated with what his agents asking price is- the more affordable he is, the more teams interested.

Oh I'm not talking about my Bengals trading AJ.  His contract is up and he's a free agent.  Both the Bengals and teams are in "this is probably goodbye mode" with proper tributes and thanks but he hasn't authoritatively ruled out a return.  So I'm more asking what the impression of the other 31 markets is of AJ and what kind of interest and contract would be there to be had. 

As for the Bengals having a zillion receivers...um...we don't.  There are only 4 WRs under contract for next season:  Boyd, Higgins, Tate, and perhaps surprisingly Stanley Morgan (though Tate and Morgan can be let go with no dead cap).  It would not be a surprise to see us draft a WR (though Chase might be the only one we'd take with a high pick) but there are jobs to be had regardless.  I think it would take a ridiculously dry market for AJ's services and it would be at a steep discount.  I think the most likely scenario is a James Lofton or Terrell Owens type of situation.  I think a ring-chasing type contract is very possible.  I think if it's a case where only building/bad teams are in the mix then it's more likely he would come back assuming the Bengals would want him and the terms were agreeable.

But enough about what I think :)

-QG