What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (4 Viewers)

TheFanatic

Footballguy
Can we get updates here for fantasy football purposes only. No debates on how to properly discipline a child, no arguing about cultural differences between the north and south, nobody is allowed to comment on whether they got spanked as a child and no discussion of whether or not this is making us soft as a society/country/whatever. No mentions of switches or scrotums or anything of the like. This is just for football related information.

There is another thread for that stuff. How about we just stick to what's going on with his status for week 3 and beyond?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, but apparently you and I are the only ones that can come in here without a soapbox.

crickets :tumbleweed:

TheFanatic said:
Can we get updates here for fantasy football purposes only. No debates on how to properly discipline a child, no arguing about cultural differences between the north and south, nobody is allowed to comment on whether they got spanked as a child and no discussion of whether or not this is making us soft as a society/country/whatever. No mentions of switches or scrotums or anything of the like. This is just for football related information.

There is another thread for that stuff. How about we just stick to what's going on with his status for week 3 and beyond?
So far he's playing this week.

Source: Everywhere

I think it's about 50/50 between he plays or is suspended indefinitely by the league.

And the only reason I think it's a coin flip that he plays is that I have to think the Vikings at least consulted with the NFL main office before they reinstated him. Then again, the NFL still says they didn't see the tape inside the elevator, so what the hell do I know?

I like it, but apparently you and I are the only ones that can come in here without a soapbox.

crickets :tumbleweed:
Well, at least my disclaimer worked to some degree so far. I don't go to the FFA at all anymore and that's by design. But that ADP thread is like a tiny cyber wormhole to that alternate reality over there.

NFL statement on Anheuser-Busch: ''We understand. We are taking action and there will be much more to come."

I would say his chances of playing rest solely in the hands of his PR and the Vikings PR department at this point.

IMO the Vikings reinstated him waaay too soon, bad move on their part PR-wise and now they have to live with the consequences. The league's official stance is thus far no different than coachspeak, they've said a lot of nothing thus far.

The court of public opinion is where it really matters right now and it seems backlash against the Vikings' all too rash decision is strong right now. One thing that may work in Peterson's favor however is the tendency for media to always find a devil's advocate if possible in any public debate. Surely some talking head will be looked upon as an AP "apologist" if you will (Barkley for example) to trump up ratings. The presence of debate will likely give the impression that the issue requires further due diligence.

This thing's only getting started...

I would say his chances of playing rest solely in the hands of his PR and the Vikings PR department at this point.

IMO the Vikings reinstated him waaay too soon, bad move on their part PR-wise and now they have to live with the consequences. The league's official stance is thus far no different than coachspeak, they've said a lot of nothing thus far.

The court of public opinion is where it really matters right now and it seems backlash against the Vikings' all too rash decision is strong right now. One thing that may work in Peterson's favor however is the tendency for media to always find a devil's advocate if possible in any public debate. Surely some talking head will be looked upon as an AP "apologist" if you will (Barkley for example) to trump up ratings.

I agree. The fact that sponsors are only "suspending" their support is helping as well.

The fact that there was another investigation does not for the court of public opinion.

yeah here's a status update --- this is probably the first year I ever had peterson on my team, but I finally got him thanks to the first overall pick AND I AM ####### PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I somehow expect this to be either black or white; no grey area. He'll either be suspended indefinitely or he plays until/if legal actions occur.

I somehow expect this to be either black or white; no grey area. He'll either be suspended indefinitely or he plays until/if legal actions occur.
That's the way I see it too. These guys have a very finite amount of time to make their money in this league. Suspending them and then finding out that they were innocent is a problem for the teams. Not saying he's innocent. I have no idea which is why I'm in this thread and not the other.

The court of public opinion is where it really matters right now and it seems backlash against the Vikings' all too rash decision is strong right now. One thing that may work in Peterson's favor however is the tendency for media to always find a devil's advocate if possible in any public debate. Surely some talking head will be looked upon as an AP "apologist" if you will (Barkley for example) to trump up ratings. The presence of debate will likely give the impression that the issue requires further due diligence.

If he plays Sunday and nothing new comes out then I don't think he gets suspended this year and they let the legal system play out.

Unlike previous cases of abuse this one is not cut and dried. Considering the caliber of player here I expect the league and the Vikings to take a conservative approach.

yeah here's a status update --- this is probably the first year I ever had peterson on my team, but I finally got him thanks to the first overall pick AND I AM ####### PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
This thread is for news not crying. No one cares about your #### team.

That's the way I see it too. These guys have a very finite amount of time to make their money in this league. Suspending them and then finding out that they were innocent is a problem for the teams. Not saying he's innocent. I have no idea which is why I'm in this thread and not the other.
Yes. I would say legal ramifications are a HUGE factor in the decision making process of the Vikings, but mostly for the NFL.

Our legal system is a complicated creature and often do not on its face reflect the moral standards of many in our society. If the public is dumbfounded at how a lady can be awarded millions from McDonald's for making their coffee too hot, they will be equally be dumbfounded when Adrian Peterson plays out the rest of this season with no suspension. Not saying that is what will happen, but this does weigh in heavily counter to public sentiment.

Yes. I would say legal ramifications are a HUGE factor in the decision making process of the Vikings, but mostly for the NFL.

Our legal system is a complicated creature and often do not on its face reflect the moral standards of many in our society. If the public is dumbfounded at how a lady can be awarded millions from McDonald's for making their coffee too hot, they will be equally be dumbfounded when Adrian Peterson plays out the rest of this season with no suspension. Not saying that is what will happen, but this does weigh in heavily counter to public sentiment.
I talked to a lawyer about that once and he said there was a lot of misinformation out there about that turning it into a kind of fish tale, and by the end had it sounding very reasonable.

of course, he was a lawyer.

Now ******** is lamenting a 20+ year old story of the coffee spill lady.

WHAT KIND OF WORLD HAVE WE BEEN LIVING IN?!?!

Mayor is calling for his immediate suspension. I hope this doesn't get ugly and he gets banned basically from public outcry.. don't like the feeling of this.

I talked to a lawyer about that once and he said there was a lot of misinformation out there about that turning it into a kind of fish tale, and by the end had it sounding very reasonable.

of course, he was a lawyer.
Yea AKAIK the lady ended up extremely severe burns that required multiple skin grafts. But just goes to show that a little tidbit of information construed by the public eye does not necessarily equal what happened in a courtroom.

The Vikings can cut Peterson because they don't like his haircut. What are you talking about suing? NFL players get cut all the time. If they cut him and pay him whatever guaranteed money he has left there is nothing to sue about. This isn't France. The only room for litigation is if they attempt to void any guaranteed portions of his contract.

If they treat him like that other player they had who was abused of domestic violence they would deactivate him in which case he doesn't even lose paychecks.

Tell us chinawildman, what does a 20 year old case where a lady sued McDonalds have to do with Adrian Peterson maming his children?

The Vikings will fold and give him the boot soon. No way they weather this storm of sponsors/MN politicians/fans calling for him to be suspended. I'd figure it happenes tonight or sometime tomorrow morning, book it.

20% chance he plays this week. There's inertia going the other way. That's assuming he doesn't pull a PR thing like someone mentioned in the maiming/abuse/race/beating/religion/whooping thread. That could up the odds a bit.

TheFanatic said:

Well there was this thread which was supposed to be purely how long and if he would be suspended:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=713952

*have to do with the fantasy impact of Adrian Peterson maiming his children

Sorry
Better.

To your original question: There is sometimes a wide gap between society's ideas of justice and legal justice. Fears of potential litigation on the part of the Vikings and the NFL will likely steer them away from demands for immediately punishment. In short, the threat of litigation helps Peterson's chances of suiting up this season.

Sorry
Better.

To your original question: There is sometimes a wide gap between society's ideas of justice and legal justice. Fears of potential litigation on the part of the Vikings and the NFL will likely steer them away from demands for immediately punishment. In short, the threat of litigation helps Peterson's chances of suiting up this season.
Dude it was a hypothetical question telling you to GTFO of this thread.

The Vikings will fold and give him the boot soon. No way they weather this storm of sponsors/MN politicians/fans calling for him to be suspended. I'd figure it happenes tonight or sometime tomorrow morning, book it.
Maybe but it's not as if they did not know this would happen when they reinstated him yesterday. Everything that's happened since has been just about exactly what I would have predicted. Outrage and a thirst for immediate justice.

I see the big thing in his favor is something Mort touched on the yesterday and that's the Wilf's having undergone their own day in court. I think they have AP's back as well as any ownership group could, but not sure it's going to be enough.

What's the mood in Minny-StPaul?

Are people outraged? Disgusted? Ambivalent? The Vikes are almost dead without AP, their season is on the brink after a promising start. And they have a stadium they are trying to build. That will all affect what happens here.

Anyway, in the way of updates:

Don't be surprised if Vikings reverse course on letting Adrian Peterson play this Sunday. Hearing that Monday's decision could change.
On Monday, the Vikings were unequivocal about the decision to let running back Adrian Peterson play in Week Three. In the wake of that decision, the criticism has been unanimous, loud, and growing.

As a result, there’s already talk that the Vikings could change course and not let Peterson play on Sunday. Don’t be surprised if that happens.

It would be a curious turn of events, an admission that the Vikings got it wrong and an example of an NFL bowing to overwhelming pressure from the media, fans, and sponsors. But as the saying goes, wisdom often never makes an appearance.

It’s better that wisdom show up late than not at all.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/16/dont-be-surprised-if-vikings-change-course-on-peterson/

Sorry
Better.

Dude it was a hypothetical question telling you to GTFO of this thread.
What's w/ the haterade homie?

I've been pretty on topic here in this thread and have stayed fairly objective in my analysis of why or why not Peterson will play this weekend/season. You on the other hand basically crapped all over the intention of this thread with your first post. If you're gonna troll me, at least keep it in one thread, this forum stalking is getting a lil' creepy.

I'm sure there are some that are outraged about ADP beating his kids. And then I'm sure that there are some who are outraged about the outrage. The whole situation is outrageous.

I think he plays.

There's no way the NFL or Vikings will let him play. If they do then this will explode 10x what it is now

Anheuser-Busch, the official beer of the NFL since 2011, previously had declined to comment on the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson cases, among others. But Tuesday, an A-B spokesperson released this statement:

"We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season. We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/16/nfl-anheuser-busch-sponsor-domestic-abuse-sponsor/15726217/

When you say Budweiser, you've said it all.

Anheuser-Busch, the official beer of the NFL since 2011, previously had declined to comment on the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson cases, among others. But Tuesday, an A-B spokesperson released this statement:

"We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season. We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/16/nfl-anheuser-busch-sponsor-domestic-abuse-sponsor/15726217/

The budweiser frogs released the following statement regarding Adrian Peterson:

Child Abuse

Errrrrrrrr

NOW, its getting serious for the NFL.

I'm betting they (the Vikings) reverse themselves by Friday unless the NFL steps in by then. Losing sponsorship $$$ is big and its clear that $$$ is the #1 priority for the Vikings owners or they wouldn't have reinstated him in the first place. They don't seem like the brightest bulbs in the world. 3 more game suspension by the Vikings and then either a 6 gamer by the NFL on top of that or an outright infinite suspension ala Ray Rice is what I forecast.

Users who are viewing this thread