What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

I somehow expect this to be either black or white; no grey area. He'll either be suspended indefinitely or he plays until/if legal actions occur.
That's the way I see it too. These guys have a very finite amount of time to make their money in this league. Suspending them and then finding out that they were innocent is a problem for the teams. Not saying he's innocent. I have no idea which is why I'm in this thread and not the other.
Yes. I would say legal ramifications are a HUGE factor in the decision making process of the Vikings, but mostly for the NFL.

Our legal system is a complicated creature and often do not on its face reflect the moral standards of many in our society. If the public is dumbfounded at how a lady can be awarded millions from McDonald's for making their coffee too hot, they will be equally be dumbfounded when Adrian Peterson plays out the rest of this season with no suspension. Not saying that is what will happen, but this does weigh in heavily counter to public sentiment.
I talked to a lawyer about that once and he said there was a lot of misinformation out there about that turning it into a kind of fish tale, and by the end had it sounding very reasonable.

of course, he was a lawyer.
Yea AKAIK the lady ended up extremely severe burns that required multiple skin grafts. But just goes to show that a little tidbit of information construed by the public eye does not necessarily equal what happened in a courtroom.
Watch "Hot Coffee" on Netflix.

/offtopicsry

The Vikings announced early Wednesday morning that they're placing Adrian Peterson on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list, requiring the running back to stay away from the team until further notice.

There's no mandatory length of stay on the list, but the Vikings indicated that Peterson would remain there "until the legal proceedings are resolved." Clearly, that suggests it'll be more than a one- or two-week matter. Instead, it now seems Matt Asiata could be the Vikings' starting running back for the long haul, and he should be picked up in all formats. Sep 17 - 2:08 AM

Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly my roster can't afford to hold AP while dealing with injuries to Jamaal Charles, Ryan Mathews, and Jordan Reed.

I'm going to tell my leaguemates to feel free to send me lowball offers for AP. If I don't receive anything sufficient, I'll release him tomorrow afternoon, 12 hours before our FAAB bids are opened. Someone can either take him off my hands, or pay out of their precious FAAB for him. I'm out.

Frankly my roster can't afford to hold AP while dealing with injuries to Jamaal Charles, Ryan Mathews, and Jordan Reed.

I'm going to tell my leaguemates to feel free to send me lowball offers for AP. If I don't receive anything sufficient, I'll release him tomorrow afternoon, 12 hours before our FAAB bids are opened. Someone can either take him off my hands, or pay out of their precious FAAB for him. I'm out.
Ahhh there it is.. Your own self interest is why this upsets you. Its not America, its you. You'd rather turn a blind eye to a child abuser to get that extra 5-10pts this weekend.

Ahhh there it is.. Your own self interest is why this upsets you.
This was a mystery to you before you saw that post?

No its just a confirmation. I shouldn't be shocked that many people that are being obtuse are doing so for their own fantasy football interests, but I kind of am. Truly sad and pathetic.

No its just a confirmation. I shouldn't be shocked that many people that are being obtuse are doing so for their own fantasy football interests, but I kind of am. Truly sad and pathetic.
Sent you a PM. Trying to keep this thread clean, as was the intention of it. For the Fantasy Football aspect only.

Ahhh there it is.. Your own self interest is why this upsets you. Its not America, its you. You'd rather turn a blind eye to a child abuser to get that extra 5-10pts this weekend.
I'd be kinda pissed if peterson got me 5 pts, but if I can turn a blind eye to whatever for 20 I'd be down with that.

anyway, looks like he's out weeks 3, 4, 5 fo sho, and 6 is hazy.

his court date is 10/8, which is week 6 wednesday.

So what value, if any, does AP have at this point? Is it worth speculating to get him with a super low ball offer? Anyone seeing any offers being made and accepted this morning?

I've respected your opinion for most of the AP debate. Peterson is a horrible human being for resorting to what he did. He deserves whatever time comes to him.

But what Rocketsauce stated above is just a normal FF statement. Yes, he is curious about his team, it's what this board is about. In no way did he say in that above statement that he supports child abuse. He was prob withholding AP to see how it all played out -- there's nothing wrong with that, nor does it label him a supporter of CA.

We can agree with you that Peterson deserves whatever he gets, but seriously take the torches and pitchforks to where they belong -- at AP, Vikings and NFL for breeding a system that rewards people with bad ethics because they can catch a damn ball.

This is fantasy football talk, let him enjoy the thing that allows us to have fun. Instead of coming here and pissing in his cereal just cause he said now he can drop AP.

/rant

Can we get back on track here. Correct, I didn't mention 20 year old scalding cases in the original post. That being said, lots of guys are crossing the line here on the intent of this thread.

None of us really know what happened. None of us are Adrian Peterson or his son. None of us are prosecuting or defending this case. Therefore none of us have anything but biased opinions one way or another. Please vent those in the other thread.

In here let's talk about how the situation with ADP has impacted our fantasy teams. I realize it's a tad insensitive considering the subject matter, but quite frankly, I can't do anything about whether or not ADP beats his kids or if corporal punishment is outdated or whatever. I can make moves to make my fantasy team better (or worse). This is what is under my control. Nothing else.

Can we get back on track here. Correct, I didn't mention 20 year old scalding cases in the original post. That being said, lots of guys are crossing the line here on the intent of this thread.

None of us really know what happened. None of us are Adrian Peterson or his son. None of us are prosecuting or defending this case. Therefore none of us have anything but biased opinions one way or another. Please vent those in the other thread.

In here let's talk about how the situation with ADP has impacted our fantasy teams. I realize it's a tad insensitive considering the subject matter, but quite frankly, I can't do anything about whether or not ADP beats his kids or if corporal punishment is outdated or whatever. I can make moves to make my fantasy team better (or worse). This is what is under my control. Nothing else.
:goodposting:

how would you know?

Local radio guys who follow and travel with the team seem to think he is done for the season.
I can't see any other way that this ends. The case won't be disposed of on the first court date. Only real way that the case could be settled would be if Peterson pleads out quick, but that will have major negative consequences for him and likely bring a major punishment from the league.

I believe I read somewhere that he can be on the list for 4 weeks before the union can step in on his behalf. I think 4 weeks is also the longest a team can suspend one of its players. It's also around the time of his first hearing.

By no means is this fiasco done for this season. The Vikings just reversed course in one day, you don't think they will change their mind after 4 weeks? 50/50 that this is likely a PR move to let things blow over. Expect to hear more as October rolls around.

Local radio guys who follow and travel with the team seem to think he is done for the season.
I can't see any other way that this ends. The case won't be disposed of on the first court date. Only real way that the case could be settled would be if Peterson pleads out quick, but that will have major negative consequences for him and likely bring a major punishment from the league.
The Vikings play the Bears Week 11 (Nov. 16) after their bye and he will have missed 8 games by then.

Punishment for a first offense under the domestic violence policy is 6 games so he would be able to play in the game if he can get a plea deal worked out quickly.

Attorneys for Vikings running back Adrian Peterson are in talks with prosecutors about a plea agreement in his child abuse case, and a deal could be reached as early as Tuesday, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter. Peterson is tentatively scheduled to go on trial Dec. 1 on a felony child abuse charge.

He's accused of striking his 4-year-old son with a switch. Peterson pleaded not guilty.

Peterson remains on the exempt/commissioner's permission list and is not allowed to participate in any team activities. Schefter's report did not specify the terms of the potential plea deal.
- CBS

BigBlue_RI said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Anyone picking him up with this news?
He's been rostered all season in my league due to deep benches. He actually has been in trades, and we are a re-draft league.
Hmmmm...He's been a free agent in both my redrafts for quite some time.

BigBlue_RI said:
Very interesting. As a McKinnon owner, I have my fingers cross the Vikes keep AP off the field.
Yes, because there's still a suspension looming. 6 games minimum, I'd guess 8 is the final result. Very intriguing for keepers though, and I picked him up cheap as a hold target.

BigBlue_RI said:
Very interesting. As a McKinnon owner, I have my fingers cross the Vikes keep AP off the field.
Yes, because there's still a suspension looming. 6 games minimum, I'd guess 8 is the final result. Very intriguing for keepers though, and I picked him up cheap as a hold target.
I still see him getting time served and fined the game checks he was out for.

It seems as though the Vikes have moved on from him. Any chance they play the redemption angle and welcome him back in the fold? Idk. Seems unlikely?

Just asked Sig about AdP's return next year.

This is his response.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Dear Abbey,

Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson is still in his prime and still one of the best in the NFL.

This isn't a substance abuse issue so I think he has a zero chance of recidivism of future child abuse.

You're the lawyer so this is your bailiwick.

Not anticipating he has a chance to play this year but what is your best professional legal guestimate of him playing next year?

Signed Sad AdP Owner
99% will play next year. not this year

Is there? Maybe he will get timed serve. He was forced to miss 7 games before he was convicted of anything.

This is his response.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Dear Abbey,

Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson is still in his prime and still one of the best in the NFL.

This isn't a substance abuse issue so I think he has a zero chance of recidivism of future child abuse.

Not anticipating he has a chance to play this year but what is your best professional legal guestimate of him playing next year?

Signed Sad AdP Owner
ask him if I should pick up hillman or cj anderson

This is his response.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Dear Abbey,

Signed Sad AdP Owner
ask him if I should pick up hillman or cj anderson
hillman

IMO, he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already been in discussions with the NFL to play right away.
Or he wants to apply a potential suspension to this already lost season so he can start anew next season.
One of these is correct
His base salary is $1 million higher next year, so theoretically he would save $375K by having the suspension in 2014.But I think it's very unlikely that the Vikings would want to pay him his full salary. I get the impression that they would want to restructure the deal, in which case he'd be better of being suspended in 2015.

IMO, he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already been in discussions with the NFL to play right away.
Or he wants to apply a potential suspension to this already lost season so he can start anew next season.
4-5 is a lost season? They are only just a game and a half back of the wild card.

It's cute people think that the Vikings will not let Adrian play this year if he is allowed. The Vikings are 4-5 and heading into their bye. Its amazing that some think the NFL has morals all of a sudden or that those morals top winning. Just like other players negotiated with the NFL when they made their legal pleas, ADP will do the same thing like Joe Summer said above.

Minnesota would love to have him back as soon as possible since they are 4-5 if they can speed up the process i bet they would.

NFL isn't about morals, but it's naive to think early reinstatement doesn't effect the overall business case. Let's not forget that major accounts started to pull their money from the NFL over public outcry. That, and not a moral issue perse was Peterson's downfall. He tarnished the seal, hurt the brand, affected the bottom line. No reason to think that same backlash won't be back in effect if Peterson is somehow reinstated. Most likely, next season once this blows over, he'll get a second chance. The NFL has always been about giving second chances, provided it doesn't disturb the bottom line.

NFL isn't about morals, but it's naive to think early reinstatement doesn't effect the overall business case. Let's not forget that major accounts started to pull their money from the NFL over public outcry. That, and not a moral issue perse was Peterson's downfall. He tarnished the seal, hurt the brand, affected the bottom line. No reason to think that same backlash won't be back in effect if Peterson is somehow reinstated. Most likely, next season once this blows over, he'll get a second chance. The NFL has always been about giving second chances, provided it doesn't disturb the bottom line.
Did Ray Lewis bounce back from his legal troubles? Don't get me started on others who tarnished the seal, starting at the top with the Commissioner.

Rule #1 in marketing: No publicity is bad publicity. Randle stole and got an endorsement deal out of it. IMO, think its naive to think fans care about anything other than winning, regardless of what they say publicly to save face as sad as that seems.

If it was up to me, he wouldnt play, but its not and its up to people richer than me who have greed running through their veins.

Users who are viewing this thread