What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (5 Viewers)

cstu said:
VandyMan said:
cstu said:
davearm said:
FUBAR said:
except the "some other team drops $13 Million on him" - that won't happen.
Agreed. I'm puzzled that I keep hearing comments like, "who's going to pony up picks and take on that salary" ??

I thought it was a given that in any trade scenario, Peterson would have to agree to a lower salary, but get some guaranteed $$$ (current contract has none).
Peterson would only agreed to less money in a trade if it was a place he wanted to go (Cowboys).
Not sure I agree with that. If he wants to play but just not in Minny, he might not be as picky as we think. Sure, some destinations are better than others, but any place that is offering a good amount of guaranteed pay is an improvement over his current contract.
I don't understand what wrong with his current contract - it's $13M guaranteed for one year.
It's not guaranteed.

VandyMan said:
cstu said:
davearm said:
FUBAR said:
Agreed. I'm puzzled that I keep hearing comments like, "who's going to pony up picks and take on that salary" ??

I thought it was a given that in any trade scenario, Peterson would have to agree to a lower salary, but get some guaranteed $$$ (current contract has none).
Peterson would only agreed to less money in a trade if it was a place he wanted to go (Cowboys).
Not sure I agree with that. If he wants to play but just not in Minny, he might not be as picky as we think. Sure, some destinations are better than others, but any place that is offering a good amount of guaranteed pay is an improvement over his current contract.
I believe the perceived slight, lack of quality players around him, and the Vikings track record of minimal playoff success lead me to think he wants to go to a contender.

He already plays on a crappy team, why would he want to go to another?

cstu said:
VandyMan said:
cstu said:
davearm said:
FUBAR said:

I don't understand what wrong with his current contract - it's $13M guaranteed for one year.
Peterson's contract does not become guaranteed until September ~13th, and it does not have any guaranteed money beyond the 2015 season. Many players in similar situations have restructured their contract to A) include a pre-season signing bonus, and B) add some guaranteed money to future seasons.

he is worried about falling off a cliff and guys his age at that position should be, seeking a new contract makes a lot of sense while the AP of 2 years ago is still fresh in our minds, the vikings wont give him a new one so his best bet is to force a trade and sign a new deal before he pulls a ray rice (on the field).

he is worried about falling off a cliff and guys his age at that position should be, seeking a new contract makes a lot of sense while the AP of 2 years ago is still fresh in our minds, the vikings wont give him a new one so his best bet is to force a trade and sign a new deal before he pulls a ray rice (on the field).
Have the Vikings stated that they're not willing to restructure Peterson's contract?

Can I please ask why every keeps mentioning and asking about what the Vikes or ADPs agent have said or are saying, as if any of it's believable?

OK. I guess the Washington unmentionables are out.

I am just saying people in glass houses shouldn't be lobbing boulders like this.
Good posting. As far as a "crappy team" He's on the best team he's had since he was drafted with the best quarterback (save 1 year with Favre) and coaching staff he's had since he's been drafted. They nearly played 500 ball without him last year. Leaving now is like crossing the Pacific on a sailboat and jumping ship just as you see land.

OK. I guess the Washington unmentionables are out.I am just saying people in glass houses shouldn't be lobbing boulders like this.
Good posting. As far as a "crappy team" He's on the best team he's had since he was drafted with the best quarterback (save 1 year with Favre) and coaching staff he's had since he's been drafted. They nearly played 500 ball without him last year. Leaving now is like crossing the Pacific on a sailboat and jumping ship just as you see land.
So you agree they've been poorly run.

OK. I guess the Washington unmentionables are out.I am just saying people in glass houses shouldn't be lobbing boulders like this.
Way to take it personally. Im not a fan of the Redskins.

Good luck to your Vikings this season.
When you constantly dog RG3, I just assumed you were a Redskins fan. It seems odd that you have an unhealthy obsession with a player that you have really nothing invested in. Enjoy your day.

I am just saying people in glass houses shouldn't be lobbing boulders like this.
And, let's not forget, they went .500 when they had AP yanked away from them mid-season on a Thursday or Friday before a game, when he was integral to their scheme. Minny's a team to watch, whatever happens.

(not saying there are no questions, but they've got the feel of a quality -- non flakey team)

He's a Dallas fan who like many others hopes AP ends up in Dallas.
If true, then :lmao: to the rest of that post... Dallas has less playoff success than Minnesota over the span of APs career. Minnesota beat Dallas to make the conference championship in 2009, and each team has been in the playoffs 1 time since.

It is kind of funny that the fans of teams who want to trade for Peterson, such as Dallas fans, are also the same people saying he isn't worth more than a 5th round pick, or suggesting that Peterson will be cut.

Kind of like when someone asks you if you would be willing to trade player X, then when you say yes they try to lowball you with offers and act like the player they are interested in is next to worthless.

:coffee:

Donnybrook said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Way to take it personally. Im not a fan of the Redskins.Good luck to your Vikings this season.
When you constantly dog RG3, I just assumed you were a Redskins fan. It seems odd that you have an unhealthy obsession with a player that you have really nothing invested in. Enjoy your day.
Prior to the Redskins drafting our G3 I told everybody on this board that he sucked donkey balls. I told everybody he couldn't read defenses and was a one-read passer who's fragile and will eventually be injured. Everybody said I was nuts and now the very same people are saying the exact same things that I said several years ago.I actually haven't been dogging RGIII for awhile now.

Way to change the entire subject though guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is kind of funny that the fans of teams who want to trade for Peterson, such as Dallas fans, are also the same people saying he isn't worth more than a 5th round pick, or suggesting that Peterson will be cut.

Kind of like when someone asks you if you would be willing to trade player X, then when you say yes they try to lowball you with offers and act like the player they are interested in is next to worthless.

Who exactly are all these people you're even talking about? All these Arizona Cardinal fans on here clamoring for your boy ADP? I haven't seen many Dallas fan say that he's not worth this or that.

You guys are insecure about your team and you don't like the stuff you hearing so you feel the need to start lashing out against people talking about your boy.

As a Cowboys fan, the only thing Id up for ADP is a second at most. I'm sure his value is somewhere in between the first and the fourth but a bunch of fat dude sitting around talking about it poking fun at each other's own teams really have no idea. And that's why we're here gentlemen.

So you agree they've been poorly run.
I agree they have had poor, actually terrible coaching and QB play up until last season yes. What's your point? Arizona, Dallas, San Diego and Tampa Bay are teams he designated as one of his 5 preferred destinations. They aren't what most people would call well run clubs. Prior to last year when Dallas actually looked like they could compete for a title they all have been the same or worse than the Vikings during Petersons career.

Who exactly are all these people you're even talking about? All these Arizona Cardinal fans on here clamoring for your boy ADP? I haven't seen many Dallas fan say that he's not worth this or that.

You guys are insecure about your team and you don't like the stuff you hearing so you feel the need to start lashing out against people talking about your boy.

As a Cowboys fan, the only thing Id up for ADP is a second at most. I'm sure his value is somewhere in between the first and the fourth but a bunch of fat dude sitting around talking about it poking fun at each other's own teams really have no idea. And that's why we're here gentlemen.
If you read earlier in the thread there were many folks saying this. Including John Clayton IIRC

Well if the purpose of why we are here is to just talk smack?

I think it would be Karma for the Cowboys to give up three first round, three second round and a third round draft pick for Peterson thus evening the Hershel Walker deal.

This will of course not happen because of the new CBA increasing the value of rookie picks and I don't think Jones is intentionally trying to sabotage the team the way Mike Lynn was (with Jerry's help ;) )

Still Rick is looking for three more picks to add to the seven the Vikings currently have. I would really love to know what is the best offer they have received thus far. My best guess is at least a second round pick (with perhaps some later round pick(s) as well). But it would of course make me happy to see more than that. Still questionable value in return for Peterson who I think adds 3 wins for the Vikings in 2015 on his own.

With the way this has been a rumored connection for Peterson even prior to the news of his offense becoming public makes it seem like Kismet that the Vikings strike a deal with the Cowboys. As much as that may not make sense for several rational reasons.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mark Dominik -- a former NFL GM with the Buccaneers -- believes Adrian Peterson's trade value is a first-round pick and two second-rounders.
Dominik acknowledges no team would likely be willing to give up that much for Peterson, who turned 30 last month and is owed $13 million in salary and bonuses. Nevertheless, it's interesting that such compensation would even be thrown around. Former Browns GM Phil Savage suggested that a second-round pick would be "a more reasonable haul" for a team trading for Peterson.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Apr 12 - 2:39 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mark Dominik -- a former NFL GM with the Buccaneers -- believes Adrian Peterson's trade value is a first-round pick and two second-rounders.
Dominik acknowledges no team would likely be willing to give up that much for Peterson, who turned 30 last month and is owed $13 million in salary and bonuses. Nevertheless, it's interesting that such compensation would even be thrown around. Former Browns GM Phil Savage suggested that a second-round pick would be "a more reasonable haul" for a team trading for Peterson.

I suppose there's one reason why he's a former Bucs's GM.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

My question to Dominik would be what his definition of the term "trade value" is.

If he thinks that means the value no team would be willing to give up to make a trade... Then why is he talking and why is anyone listening to him?

I imagine as a former GM Dominik still has connections in ownership etc. He could just be reporting what the Vikings have been asking for him. In others words, they are not serious about trading him.

Dallas would be better off trying to convince the Texans to trade down so they can come up for Gurley. The 16th pick is worth 1000 points; Dallas' 1st and 2nd would be worth 990 points.

Rotoworld:

I suppose there's one reason why he's a former Bucs's GM.
Yea, no kidding.

I wouldn't want him for free. $13M is too much for any RB. Give me any second round RB this year for <$1.5M/year and use those picks on lineman. GG.

Arizona has a tiny window with the age of some players. If they could find a way, with that D, he could get them a ring.

They could even work it in where maybe they give up far more now, but get a pick or two from the Vikes in 2017.

I don't think they win a Supe with this team otherwise. I think they'll come up short.

I'd love to see him play for BB

Rotoworld:

NFL removed Vikings RB Adrian Peterson from the exempt/commissioner's list.
As a condition of his reinstatement, Peterson must maintain an "ongoing program of counseling and treatment as recommended by medical advisors." The question now becomes where Peterson will be playing in 2015. He appears dead set against returning to the Vikings, but at least so far, they've appeared dead set on keeping him. Due $44.25 million over the next three seasons, Peterson would almost certainly have to restructure his contract as part of any trade. Apr 16 - 2:10 PM

Finally justice, it's still a shame he was wrongfully suspended for so long after the Ray Rice witch-hunt. (Also no, I don't own him in any keeper leagues).

Rotoworld:

An NFL general manager told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman that he believes the Raiders are "right there" in the mix to trade for Adrian Peterson.
ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson adds that he "keeps hearing" Oakland connected to Peterson. GM Reggie McKenzie has been trying to add star power to his roster and Peterson would certainly fit the bill. And the Raiders are one team with the cap space to take on A.D.'s $12.75 million cap hit. It's definitely concerning for Latavius Murray owners that McKenzie has seemed hellbent on adding talent to his backfield, first flirting with DeMarco Murray and now Peterson.

Related: Raiders

Source: Bleacher Report
Apr 17 - 11:39 AM

And, let's not forget, they went .500 when they had AP yanked away from them mid-season on a Thursday or Friday before a game, when he was integral to their scheme. Minny's a team to watch, whatever happens.

(not saying there are no questions, but they've got the feel of a quality -- non flakey team)
I'm not understanding this. They lost peterson after the first game and proceeded to go 6-9 after that ... not .500. During that time, they didn't beat a team with a winning record ... Atlanta (6-10), Tampa (2-14), Washington (4-12), Carolina (7-8), NYJ (4-12), and Chicago (5-11).

I wouldn't necessarily say they are a team to watch any more than the other sub .500 teams in the league. They might have something at QB and they did lose some close games but let's not make them out to be more than they really are.

I'm not understanding this. They lost peterson after the first game and proceeded to go 6-9 after that ... not .500. During that time, they didn't beat a team with a winning record ... Atlanta (6-10), Tampa (2-14), Washington (4-12), Carolina (7-8), NYJ (4-12), and Chicago (5-11).

I wouldn't necessarily say they are a team to watch any more than the other sub .500 teams in the league. They might have something at QB and they did lose some close games but let's not make them out to be more than they really are.
Well, that's why we'll play the games. I've just got a good feeling about Zimmer. Maybe I'm just swallowing the hype.

Well, that's why we'll play the games. I've just got a good feeling about Zimmer. Maybe I'm just swallowing the hype.
I definitely wish you luck. As a Cowboys fan though, I'd love to see Purple Jesus with a star on his helmet. :)

I definitely wish you luck. As a Cowboys fan though, I'd love to see Purple Jesus with a star on his helmet. :)
Minnesota is not going anywhere soon but they could possibly look to sneak into the playoffs in the next couple years if Bridgewater keeps improving.

People were over hyping Minnesota last year as well through the middle of the season all because they had a cake of a non-con schedule. The only team of any worth they really came close to beating was Miami but they couldn't hold on.

This year their schedule:

Likely losses: Packers x2, Lions x2, Seahawks, Chiefs, @Cardinals, Broncos

Toss up: @Bears, Rams, Chargers, Giants, @49ers, @Falcons

Likely win: Bears, @Raiders

Going: 5-11 in my mind up to possibly 8-8 if things fall just right

In the end the Vikings should be thanking their stars that AP is reinstated and should be shipping him off to wherever they can get the most to build for their future around Bridgewater. AP might be a once in a generation but a RB is not winning you a Super Bowl by himself. It took one of the best defences in history to allow Lynch to lead the Seahawks to their Super Bowl.

Minnesota is not going anywhere soon but they could possibly look to sneak into the playoffs in the next couple years if Bridgewater keeps improving.

People were over hyping Minnesota last year as well through the middle of the season all because they had a cake of a non-con schedule. The only team of any worth they really came close to beating was Miami but they couldn't hold on.

In the end the Vikings should be thanking their stars that AP is reinstated and should be shipping him off to wherever they can get the most to build for their future around Bridgewater. AP might be a once in a generation but a RB is not winning you a Super Bowl by himself. It took one of the best defences in history to allow Lynch to lead the Seahawks to their Super Bowl.
I think many are missing the fact that around mid-season.... with a new Coach, new QB, new RB's, they started playing collectively as a group and played dam well..

losses were down to the wire:

lost to the Bills 17-16

lost to the Bears 21-13

lost to the Packers 24-21

lost to the Lions 16-14

lost to the Dolphins 37-35

If they held on to win 2 or 3 of those they had a shot at the playoffs.. and again that was with a Rookie QB, Backup RB's and a new coach.

So yea, call me someone wearing Purple Glasses, but playoffs are NOT out of the realm of possibilities this year even without AP..

and if they have ADP.. :)

I think many are missing the fact that around mid-season.... with a new Coach, new QB, new RB's, they started playing collectively as a group and played dam well..

losses were down to the wire:

lost to the Bills 17-16

lost to the Bears 21-13

lost to the Packers 24-21

lost to the Lions 16-14

lost to the Dolphins 37-35

If they held on to win 2 or 3 of those they had a shot at the playoffs.. and again that was with a Rookie QB, Backup RB's and a new coach.

So yea, call me someone wearing Purple Glasses, but playoffs are NOT out of the realm of possibilities this year even without AP..

and if they have ADP.. :)
You realize you would have needed to win 4 games to have a tie-breaking chance of being in the playoffs right as it took 11-5 to get in?

The luck pretty much balanced out though with winning the Jets and Tampa games in overtime while the Chicago and Washington games were won by less than a possession.

So you "missed out" on 5 games but won 4 games at the same time. I know you need to have enthusiasm going into a new season but your expectation should be around having a great young QB who could grow in the next couple years and less on immediate pay off. The Vikings really got unlucky this season with the NFC North playing the AFC/NFC West.

If I am a Vikings fan I want them moving AP now if possible. Its the same thing I said 3-4 years ago about Cutler/Lovie and the Bears but teams with inept front offices will continue to let my Packers win championships so I am fine with it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread