What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson says the Cardinals, Bucs and Jaguars are left in the Adrian Peterson race.

Robinson also wouldn't rule out the Falcons. Of course, this all assumes the Vikings are willing to trade Peterson -- so far they've shown no desire to do so whatsoever. It's unlikely they'd get anything near fair value for a 30-year-old running back due $12.75 million. One team notably missing from Robinson's list is the Cowboys, who he says aren't interested at all. "Whoever says otherwise is 1,000 percent wrong."

Related: Cardinals, Cowboys, Jaguars, Buccaneers

Source: Arizonasports.com
Apr 23 - 12:43 PM

I have to agree with the fact that the Cowboys are probably not in the running. You can really see the influence Stephen Jones has had on the decision-making of the Cowboys front office. Gone are the days of Jerry deciding he wants someone and simply over paying for him. The Cowboys currently have the best offensive line in the league because of Stephen Jones' ability to tell his dad to $TFU.

If their 2014 first round pick was left up to Jerry, Johnny Manziell would be a Cowboy. In fact, I'd venture to say they may have traded up to acquire him even though it turned out they didn't need to. Manziell would have been a huge money maker for Dallas ... until, of course, he flamed out.

Stephen Jones has been extra-ordinarily prudent with the cowboys recent moves. Mo Claiborne is the only real miss they've had in the draft in the past handful of years. Under his control, the Cowboys have done more building than reactionary acquiring of players through free agency or chasing of big names in the draft.

I see the Boys going DL or CB with their first rounder and going Yeldon/Colemen/etc in the 2nd or 3rd round. There is no reason to give up a premium draft pick and a player for a veteran RB no matter how good he is. They may send Minnesota a disgruntled Orlando Scandrick in return for Peterson, but other than that, I just don't see him being a Cowboy.

Here's a little snipit of Stephen Jones' philosopy on the matter:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/04/21/stephen-jones-doesn%E2%80%99t-see-cowboys-using-draft-picks-trade-veterans

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with the fact that the Cowboys are probably not in the running. You can really see the influence Stephen Jones has had on the decision-making of the Cowboys front office. Gone are the days of Jerry deciding he wants someone and simply over paying for him. The Cowboys currently have the best offensive line in the league because of Stephen Jones' ability to tell his dad to $TFU.

If their 2014 first round pick was left up to Jerry, Johnny Manziell would be a Cowboy. In fact, I'd venture to say they may have traded up to acquire him even though it turned out they didn't need to. Manziell would have been a huge money maker for Dallas ... until, of course, he flamed out.

Stephen Jones has been extra-ordinarily prudent with the cowboys recent moves. Mo Claiborne is the only real miss they've had in the draft in the past handful of years. Under his control, the Cowboys have done more building than reactionary acquiring of players through free agency or chasing of big names in the draft.

I see the Boys going DL or CB with their first rounder and going Yeldon/Colemen/etc in the 2nd or 3rd round. There is no reason to give up a premium draft pick and a player for a veteran RB no matter how good he is. They may send Minnesota a disgruntled Orlando Scandrick in return for Peterson, but other than that, I just don't see him being a Cowboy.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/04/21/stephen-jones-doesn%E2%80%99t-see-cowboys-using-draft-picks-trade-veterans
Cowboy fans have to be thrilled that Jerry is finally getting pushed aside.

Cowboy fans have to be thrilled that Jerry is finally getting pushed aside.
I think they go DL 1st too, following the Hardy news. Yeldon sounds nice on paper and maybe they see Murray in him, but I think this is the one area where Jerry Jones might actually be very useful and, in remembering the glory days, might go for a RB who fits the short, powerful, good vision profile a bit more. Maybe Abdullah?

shut up Herschel....or please tell us why your perspective matters. He's under contract - Vikes should do whatever they feel makes them the better team. Period.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling doesn't believe Adrian Peterson's beef with the franchise concerns money.

Player-team disputes most often involve money -- whether explicitly or implicitly -- but Goessling believes Peterson would actually be willing to accept less money to facilitate a trade out of town. The Vikings have made it clear they're amenable to paying Peterson's $12.75 million base salary, an exorbitant sum in this year's era of allegedly "devalued" running backs. Peterson would not be able to get that much money elsewhere. Peterson's beef with the Vikings concerns loyalty.

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 26 - 1:11 PM

Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Citing six "high-level NFL sources," Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys and Cardinals are not willing to pay the price the Vikings have demanded to trade Adrian Peterson.

"Dallas has not even spoken to Minnesota regarding Peterson," Robinson writes, while Arizona is unwilling to surrender its first-round pick. Peterson-to-the-Cardinals reportedly could be a done deal were Vikings GM Rick Spielman willing to trade A.P. for a mid-to-late second-round pick, but that is currently not happening. Robinson speculates that the the Buccaneers and Jaguars are sleepers to acquire Peterson, perhaps in exchange for a top-40 pick. According to Robinson, Spielman's "feet are in cement," he "wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform," and "it's going to take a sledgehammer to remove him from that spot."

Source: Yahoo Sports

Apr 26 - 7:07 PM

Rotoworld:

Citing six "high-level NFL sources," Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys and Cardinals are not willing to pay the price the Vikings have demanded to trade Adrian Peterson.

"Dallas has not even spoken to Minnesota regarding Peterson," Robinson writes, while Arizona is unwilling to surrender its first-round pick. Peterson-to-the-Cardinals reportedly could be a done deal were Vikings GM Rick Spielman willing to trade A.P. for a mid-to-late second-round pick, but that is currently not happening. Robinson speculates that the the Buccaneers and Jaguars are sleepers to acquire Peterson, perhaps in exchange for a top-40 pick. According to Robinson, Spielman's "feet are in cement," he "wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform," and "it's going to take a sledgehammer to remove him from that spot."

What happened to "The Vikings are NOT trading Peterson"?? :lmao:

This whole thing is a sham. The Vikings have had Peterson on the trading block from the very beginning.

Rotoworld:

This whole thing is a sham. The Vikings have had Peterson on the trading block from the very beginning.
Maybe, but they're not going to take less than what they want for him. And they're right. The best thing for the Vikings is for AP to be there and play, given the market for running backs. And if he's unprofessional, and doesn't put out, he can suit up and sit on the bench. And if he doesn't suit up he's broken his contract, and he can sit at home and NOT get paid for it this year.

All of these rumors being floated are too funny.

Just this week they've released that

1. the starting bid is a first round pick plus a good young player

2. they want a deal done before the draft

3. there are 6 teams bidding

Yet they've remained adamant this entire time that they want to keep him. Right :rolleyes:

Rotoworld:

Maybe, but they're not going to take less than what they want for him. And they're right. The best thing for the Vikings is for AP to be there and play, given the market for running backs. And if he's unprofessional, and doesn't put out, he can suit up and sit on the bench. And if he doesn't suit up he's broken his contract, and he can sit at home and NOT get paid for it this year.
Let's talk reality instead of your own wishful thinking.

One of two things is happening this year:

1. the Vikings will be forced to pay Peterson his full $13 million salary (highest in the league for a RB).

or

2. Peterson will be playing for another team.

There are no other realistic outcomes.

If you're going to bring up convoluted scenarios involving holdouts and fines and suspensions, then it's obvious that you don't understand the situation and you're more interested in exposing your bias than learning the facts.

Because the fact is that neither Peterson nor Minnesota is dumb enough to screw this up.

All of these rumors being floated are too funny.

Just this week they've released that

1. the starting bid is a first round pick plus a good young player

2. they want a deal done before the draft

3. there are 6 teams bidding

Yet they've remained adamant this entire time that they want to keep him. Right :rolleyes:
A reporter actually reporting that the Vikings aren't trading Peterson and there are no offers is going to generate zero clicks and no revenue for their site. That would be bad for business.

It is better if someone makes up a fictitious trade price that no one will meet and suddenly there is a story to report. Great for business.

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Vikings have said "publicly and privately" that Adrian Peterson "plays for them or no one."

Short of being truly blown away by a trade offer, it appears GM Rick Spielman is all-in on waiting Peterson out, even if he doesn't report to anything Vikings related before the season. RapSheet did leave open the door for the Cardinals to acquire Peterson after the draft, but multiple reports elsewhere have stated the Vikings are unwilling to part with Peterson for future considerations. If Peterson isn't traded by next Saturday night -- and it currently appears he won't be -- he'll either be a 2015 Viking, or sitting at home.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 26 - 7:29 PM

My memory fails me, so I went back 35 pages looking for the answer... I couldn't find it. So, someone fill me in. What did the Vikes do that so ticked him off? I mean, did they actually throw him under the bus, or did they just stay away when he was pleading guilty?

My memory fails me, so I went back 35 pages looking for the answer... I couldn't find it. So, someone fill me in. What did the Vikes do that so ticked him off? I mean, did they actually throw him under the bus, or did they just stay away when he was pleading guilty?
AP feels like the front office didn't have his back.

He feels that they should have come out IN SUPPORT of his actions???

In support of him regardless of his actions. The front office sided with Anheuser-Busch over AP.

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Vikings have said "publicly and privately" that Adrian Peterson "plays for them or no one."Short of being truly blown away by a trade offer, it appears GM Rick Spielman is all-in on waiting Peterson out, even if he doesn't report to anything Vikings related before the season. RapSheet did leave open the door for the Cardinals to acquire Peterson after the draft, but multiple reports elsewhere have stated the Vikings are unwilling to part with Peterson for future considerations. If Peterson isn't traded by next Saturday night -- and it currently appears he won't be -- he'll either be a 2015 Viking, or sitting at home.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 26 - 7:29 PM
Easily explains perpetual suck.

Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson - RB - VikingsCiting six "high-level NFL sources," Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys and Cardinals are not willing to pay the price the Vikings have demanded to trade Adrian Peterson."Dallas has not even spoken to Minnesota regarding Peterson," Robinson writes, while Arizona is unwilling to surrender its first-round pick. Peterson-to-the-Cardinals reportedly could be a done deal were Vikings GM Rick Spielman willing to trade A.P. for a mid-to-late second-round pick, but that is currently not happening. Robinson speculates that the the Buccaneers and Jaguars are sleepers to acquire Peterson, perhaps in exchange for a top-40 pick. According to Robinson, Spielman's "feet are in cement," he "wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform," and "it's going to take a sledgehammer to remove him from that spot."Related: Cardinals, Cowboys, Jaguars, BuccaneersSource: Yahoo SportsApr 26 - 7:07 PM
What happened to "The Vikings are NOT trading Peterson"?? :lmao: This whole thing is a sham. The Vikings have had Peterson on the trading block from the very beginning.
Let's talk reality instead of your own wishful thinking. One of two things is happening this year: 1. the Vikings will be forced to pay Peterson his full $13 million salary (highest in the league for a RB) and reap the benefits of him playing for them. or 2. Peterson will be playing for another team. There are no other realistic outcomes. If you're going to bring up convoluted scenarios involving holdouts and fines and suspensions, then it's obvious that you don't understand the situation and you're more interested in exposing your bias than learning the facts. Because the fact is that neither Peterson nor Minnesota is dumb enough to screw this up.
fyp

In support of him regardless of his actions. The front office sided with Anheuser-Busch over AP.
I am so envious of the Cowboys and their stellar front office. Has anyone beat the crap out of Greg Hardy yet?

They should have defended his chance to defend himself in court. Then when he did plea to a misdemeanor they should have fought to have him reinstated.

I am so envious of the Cowboys and their stellar front office. Has anyone beat the crap out of Greg Hardy yet?
I don't get it.

They should have defended his chance to defend himself in court. Then when he did plea to a misdemeanor they should have fought to have him reinstated.
In my world, if a man screws up, friends say, "Dude, you F'd up".

In my girlfriend's world, I am required to read her mind and do the ##### she's gonna complain about me NOT doing a month from now.

There was some talk on local radio a while back that Peterson's wife/girlfriend (I don't recall which one) was the one who wanted to go somewhere else. The talk as I recall was that Peterson has had relationships with several women in this area and she wanted to get away from it. To be fair, note that these are my best recollections of the discussion on KFAN, others may remember in greater detail. I'm not sure if AP feels like the Vikings haven't backed him, if his female partner is pushing for a change or a little of both.

Peterson's beef with the Vikings doesn't have to do with the courts.

Peterson is pissed that the Vikings didn't go to bat for him to get him back on the field.

In fact Peterson feels the Vikings actually conspired with the league office to keep him *off* the field.

It's not that much of a stretch, given the heat the team was under from sponsors.

He potentially could have played the last two months of the season. His case was sorted out in the courts, and because of that, the Vikings could have pushed to have him reinstated during the season, or not left him dangling in some way.

Instead, they waited until the storm blew over, and magically, he gets reinstated before the draft.

Now, they want him back to help the young QB out, and are making all kinds of nice statements. You ask if they should have come out in support of his actions. What are they doing now, by wanting him back? I am guessing Peterson's attitude is that when the going got tough, the Vikes got going.

I agree with him. If the Vikes were sticking to some principles, and sickened by his actions, as I am, they would be moving on, and taking anything they could get to move him. Instead, the world has moved on, Vikes fans will welcome him back, and the media and Twitterverse will be less likely to roast the team publicly because he served some arbitrary punishment.

Peterson is one of the greatest Vikes ever, he knows that, and has a spotless public record with the team, as far as I know. I think he feels he bought a little credibility and love from the team, and got zero.

It's very weird, I am disgusted by what he did to his child, and applaud a team that wants nothing to do with him. At the same time, I see where Peterson is coming from, and hope he sticks to his guns. Peterson can be wrong for what he did, and still right about the Vikings doing him wrong.

I agree with him. If the Vikes were sticking to some principles, and sickened by his actions, as I am, they would be moving on, and taking anything they could get to move him.
:goodposting: If the Vikings were truly as morally outraged as they pretended to be, they would have cut him on the spot. Or they would have traded him already. Instead, they continue to play this game where they publicly act like they want him back but privately they're trying to use him to restock their draft picks.

I agree with him. If the Vikes were sticking to some principles, and sickened by his actions, as I am, they would be moving on, and taking anything they could get to move him.
:goodposting: If the Vikings were truly as morally outraged as they pretended to be, they would have cut him on the spot. Or they would have traded him already. Instead, they continue to play this game where they publicly act like they want him back but privately they're trying to use him to restock their draft picks.
he is a 30 year old RB, if some team is gonna give you a top pick for him you take it regardless of anything else

Peterson is mad that the vikings didn't risk public backlash, loss of sponsors, and pissing off the league to stand up for him after he was convicted of assualting a 4 year old boy with a stick

he is a lunatic, no team would have done any more

OR

as is probably the case, while you say the vikings are hypocritical so is he, and his outrage at his treatment would all go away for the right price....which of course it would this is a business on both sides

in the end neither side's principles matter much, he'll be a viking

in the end neither side's principles matter much, he'll be a Viking
:goodposting:

Anyone who thinks AP has been wronged in any way/shape/form re: this situation he created seems goofy to me. That said, matters not...unless Dogra can locate the exit clause in Peterson's contract which allows AP to immediately void if/when he was paid millions of dollars for sitting on a couch after violating the law and being suspended by the NFL. Otherwise, short of a sweetheart deal, see ya in Purple. Or retire, pout on your couch wearing your Cowboys snuggie not being paid, whatever.

Peterson is mad that the vikings didn't risk public backlash, loss of sponsors, and pissing off the league to stand up for him after he was convicted of assualting a 4 year old boy with a stick

he is a lunatic, no team would have done any more
The 49ers would have.

This isn't about making Peterson a tragic, sympathetic figure.

The question was asked why he was unhappy with the Vikings. There is an answer to that question.

If you want to argue if ADP is justified, or if he will or won't play for 13 mill, whatever. I just see where he's coming from. And if Peterson is a hypocrite or not, it still makes the Vikings ones as well. Peterson will be gone soon, the Vikings will still be hypocrites that hid behind the commissioner's skirt, and now that the wind is blowing a different direction, are happy to embrace him again.

Not a big deal, lots of teams would welcome him, and probably would have behaved the same way last year.

There is no sympathy for the rich superstar and there is less for the super-wealthy owner/team.

There are people who go to work every day and get treated far worse and for far less pay.

It's a business and both sided do/did what they have to in order to protect and salvage their brand.

At the end of the day, the Vikes did Peterson a favor. He never lost salary, he was taken off the front burner and all it receives, and he was spared wear and tear. Now, their expected payback is "please allow us to give you $13 million dollars and preserve our franchise and fanbase as best we can OR garner the most value we can from this."

That's fair. There are no all-around winners in this and the only true loser is the child everyone stopped talking about.

This isn't about making Peterson a tragic, sympathetic figure.

The question was asked why he was unhappy with the Vikings. There is an answer to that question.

If you want to argue if ADP is justified, or if he will or won't play for 13 mill, whatever. I just see where he's coming from. And if Peterson is a hypocrite or not, it still makes the Vikings ones as well. Peterson will be gone soon, the Vikings will still be hypocrites that hid behind the commissioner's skirt, and now that the wind is blowing a different direction, are happy to embrace him again.

Not a big deal, lots of teams would welcome him, and probably would have behaved the same way last year.
i think the real answer is

"i want guaranteed money"

and neither side is a hypocrite, both sides are in a business, both are trying to maximize their end of it. On the heels of Ray Rice with the league cracking down and with those pictures out there and with sponsors threatening to bolt it would have been a horrible business decision to fight for Peterson, because if you don;t fight for him he has little recourse, his rights are yours no matter what

so the move that makes business sense is to let the league handle it and keep your hands as clean as possible, then try and move on afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread