Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Adrian Peterson Status Updates

TheFanatic

Peterson is mad that the vikings didn't risk public backlash, loss of sponsors, and pissing off the league to stand up for him after he was convicted of assualting a 4 year old boy with a stick

he is a lunatic, no team would have done any more

The 49ers would have.

I disagree

I just don't see the upside of selling cheap on him for the Vikings.

I guess the upside would be that you are getting something in return for a guy that will most likely hold out at the very least be a distraction for the team. I guess it all depends how determined AP is. Does he hold out? Would the Vikings not trade him on principle alone? I, personally, would try to get something for him if he held out.

I'm of the opinion that it is more likely that we see Peterson traded in week 3 of the season than before or during the draft.

Let's say they keep him at his contract and he plays. What happens next year? Are you saying a year of AP and a compensatory FA pick makes more sense?

He's not a FA next year.

Peterson is mad that the vikings didn't risk public backlash, loss of sponsors, and pissing off the league to stand up for him after he was convicted of assualting a 4 year old boy with a stick

he is a lunatic, no team would have done any more

The 49ers would have.

The Cowboys would have.

My mistake on him being a free agent. I just looked it up and it's 15 million per season. Seems like the Vikings could play hard ball but at what point are they better off freeing up that cap space and getting something for him?

My mistake on him being a free agent. I just looked it up and it's 15 million per season. Seems like the Vikings could play hard ball but at what point are they better off freeing up that cap space and getting something for him?

As soon as it makes sense for the team, I imagine.

I guess the upside would be that you are getting something in return for a guy that will most likely hold out at the very least be a distraction for the team. I guess it all depends how determined AP is. Does he hold out? Would the Vikings not trade him on principle alone? I, personally, would try to get something for him if he held out.

I'm of the opinion that it is more likely that we see Peterson traded in week 3 of the season than before or during the draft.

No way he holds out... I'm with what one sports columnist wrote.. if he is still a Viking Saturday morning he will play this year with the Vikings. hopefully with a HUGE chip on his shoulder and rushes for 2000+ yards. :) Edited by snogger

No way he holds out... I'm with what one sports columnist wrote.. if he is still a Viking Saturday morning he will play this year with the Vikings. hopefully with a HUGE chip on his shoulder and rushes for 2000+ yards. :)

Ah, yes, rush for 2000+ yards for the team that's screwing you over. That'll show em!

No way he holds out... I'm with what one sports columnist wrote.. if he is still a Viking Saturday morning he will play this year with the Vikings. hopefully with a HUGE chip on his shoulder and rushes for 2000+ yards. :)

Ah, yes, rush for 2000+ yards for the team that's screwing you over. That'll show em!

I think he's more concerned with his own legacy than worried about screwing over his team. These kind of guys don't get to be where they are without huge egos.

I think he's more concerned with his own legacy than worried about screwing over his team. These kind of guys don't get to be where they are without huge egos.
:goodposting: right now it is all about changing the image.. he wants nothing else then to change the talk from being about his off the field issues.. the first game he rushes for 100+ yards and a couple Td's the talk changes to football.

:confused: The Vikings are screwing him over? I'd be interested to hear how that is the case.

My memory fails me, so I went back 35 pages looking for the answer... I couldn't find it. So, someone fill me in. What did the Vikes do that so ticked him off? I mean, did they actually throw him under the bus, or did they just stay away when he was pleading guilty?

AP feels like the front office didn't have his back.

He feels that they should have come out IN SUPPORT of his actions???

He potentially could have played the last two months of the season. His case was sorted out in the courts, and because of that, the Vikings could have pushed to have him reinstated during the season, or not left him dangling in some way.

Instead, they waited until the storm blew over, and magically, he gets reinstated before the draft.

Now, they want him back to help the young QB out, and are making all kinds of nice statements. You ask if they should have come out in support of his actions. What are they doing now, by wanting him back? I am guessing Peterson's attitude is that when the going got tough, the Vikes got going.

I agree with him. If the Vikes were sticking to some principles, and sickened by his actions, as I am, they would be moving on, and taking anything they could get to move him. Instead, the world has moved on, Vikes fans will welcome him back, and the media and Twitterverse will be less likely to roast the team publicly because he served some arbitrary punishment.

Peterson is one of the greatest Vikes ever, he knows that, and has a spotless public record with the team, as far as I know. I think he feels he bought a little credibility and love from the team, and got zero.

It's very weird, I am disgusted by what he did to his child, and applaud a team that wants nothing to do with him. At the same time, I see where Peterson is coming from, and hope he sticks to his guns. Peterson can be wrong for what he did, and still right about the Vikings doing him wrong.

So despite the fact that people were calling for his head and sponsors were starting to back out on the team the Vikings should have done everything they could to keep him on the field? What you are saying they should have done is say screw you sponsors we don't need your support?

I guess they should have taken on the court of public opinion and had every article about them being supporters of child abuse and child abusers go on and on instead of waiting for the outrage to blow over (which for the most part it has) before putting him back on the field?

I don't recall ever hearing anyone from the team saying they did not want AP back with the Vikings. Other than speculative articles where "A source close to the team" was supposedly quoted saying high ranking members of the Vikings organization did not want him back. On the contrary Zimmer and Spielman repeatedly said they wanted him back and stated he was an important and respected member of the team.

All this BS about the Vikings disrespecting him and not having his back is just that.

So despite the fact that people were calling for his head and sponsors were starting to back out on the team the Vikings should have done everything they could to keep him on the field? What you are saying they should have done is say screw you sponsors we don't need your support?

No, they should have suspended him until the court case was done (like they did) and then fought for him to return.

i hope he half asses it this year as a vike

i would love it

go ahead and destroy your football legacy to pout Peterson, that'll show everyone

if he is willing to do this, willing to tank to prove a point, then he is not the football player people think he is

i hope he half asses it this year as a vike

i would love it

go ahead and destroy your football legacy to pout Peterson, that'll show everyone

if he is willing to do this, willing to tank to prove a point, then he is not the football player people think he is

This is why I say it's more likely that he would holdout or play hard. There won't be any in-between with this guy.

So what if Peterson went out and played real hard and still put up big numbers but seemed to be say turning the ball over in key situations? Meaning, hey I'm going to get my numbers but oops I fumbled that ball away? I doubt the sit him on the bench and pay him $15 million. Or maybe if Peterson gets dinged he just says I'm too hurt to play? My point is that a lot of people want to jump up and say play hardball but much of the time if one side is unhappy about the relationship it's sometimes best for both parties to make the best of it and move on.

Certainly there is nothing to indicate he would do any of this but things could get ugly. The Vikings can certainly so play for us or play for nobody but Peterson could have ways to hurt the club for taking a harsh stance.

I don't think the Vikings should give Peterson away but I think they would have to be tempted to move him if they can get some value if they are concerned that Peterson doesn't want to be there. I haven't followed the situation closely so has Peterson come out and said he wants a trade or are we just hearing this second hand?

Peterson seems to me to be the kind of guy that would go out and play hard wherever it was he was playing.

I thought it was interesting that Teddy Bridgewater attended Peterson's birthday party...the players all get along great with him...if he plays for the Vikings he will play hard because he is a good teammate.

I do agree with this. I think Peterson was always viewed as a good guy and team mate until the child abuse surfaced. I was always a fan of Peterson even as a Packer fan. He is a special talent but also has always worked hard and been a great team mate. He always seemed gracious to the media as well. I'm not sure he was ever quite the same outstanding individual in his private life though.

I am a bit surprised of the hardball approach by the Vikings organization though. I have to think there is some value in an organization showing a willingness to work with a player and agent to resolve an issue such as this. If for no other reason than how it may impact decisions some players might make in free agency. I think an approach like this could put the Vikings organization behind other organization as far as an attractive landing spot for future free agents.

I still feel they may just be holding out on making a move because they think they will get a better offer.

I thought it was interesting that Teddy Bridgewater attended Peterson's birthday party...the players all get along great with him...if he plays for the Vikings he will play hard because he is a good teammate.

NFL players love free food. Read nothing into it.

My memory fails me, so I went back 35 pages looking for the answer... I couldn't find it. So, someone fill me in. What did the Vikes do that so ticked him off? I mean, did they actually throw him under the bus, or did they just stay away when he was pleading guilty?

AP feels like the front office didn't have his back.

He feels that they should have come out IN SUPPORT of his actions???

He potentially could have played the last two months of the season. His case was sorted out in the courts, and because of that, the Vikings could have pushed to have him reinstated during the season, or not left him dangling in some way.

Instead, they waited until the storm blew over, and magically, he gets reinstated before the draft.

Now, they want him back to help the young QB out, and are making all kinds of nice statements. You ask if they should have come out in support of his actions. What are they doing now, by wanting him back? I am guessing Peterson's attitude is that when the going got tough, the Vikes got going.

I agree with him. If the Vikes were sticking to some principles, and sickened by his actions, as I am, they would be moving on, and taking anything they could get to move him. Instead, the world has moved on, Vikes fans will welcome him back, and the media and Twitterverse will be less likely to roast the team publicly because he served some arbitrary punishment.

Peterson is one of the greatest Vikes ever, he knows that, and has a spotless public record with the team, as far as I know. I think he feels he bought a little credibility and love from the team, and got zero.

It's very weird, I am disgusted by what he did to his child, and applaud a team that wants nothing to do with him. At the same time, I see where Peterson is coming from, and hope he sticks to his guns. Peterson can be wrong for what he did, and still right about the Vikings doing him wrong.

I guess they should have taken on the court of public opinion and had every article about them being supporters of child abuse and child abusers go on and on instead of waiting for the outrage to blow over (which for the most part it has) before putting him back on the field?

I don't recall ever hearing anyone from the team saying they did not want AP back with the Vikings. Other than speculative articles where "A source close to the team" was supposedly quoted saying high ranking members of the Vikings organization did not want him back. On the contrary Zimmer and Spielman repeatedly said they wanted him back and stated he was an important and respected member of the team.

All this BS about the Vikings disrespecting him and not having his back is just that.

No it's really not.

What's changed? Aren't there still photos of that little kid all beat up? The Vikings are happy to have him back. Are they OK with saying screw the sponsors and blah blah blah whatever else you were prattling on about?

You also answered your own question.

"I don't recall ever hearing anyone from the team saying they did not want AP back with the Vikings."

You don't recall anything, because the Vikes never made any comments that weren't completely devoid of any substance.

I fully support the Vikings right to kowtow to public pressure, and reverse course when it suits them, as they are doing now. No problem with that at all.

I also see where AP is coming from, and anyone that doesn't isn't using that lump three feet above their ###. You don't have to think AP is right to see his point fo view.

"Lay low for a while, let this blow over, we'll still pay you, and then we'll get back on track."

Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Me too.

Do you think they said that to him?

Looks like what they did. They didn't say how much they loved him in every statement. Maybe that's what ticked him off.

I do agree with this. I think Peterson was always viewed as a good guy and team mate until the child abuse surfaced. I was always a fan of Peterson even as a Packer fan. He is a special talent but also has always worked hard and been a great team mate. He always seemed gracious to the media as well. I'm not sure he was ever quite the same outstanding individual in his private life though.

He had a harsh way of disciplining his kids that ended up being abuse, but I haven't heard of hitting his kids for non-disciplinary reasons.

I have my issues with his religious and political views but I don't see him as a person with bad character.

This is why I say it's more likely that he would holdout or play hard. There won't be any in-between with this guy.

He only knows one way to play and now he has a massive chip on his shoulder.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread but there was a pretty high profile blow up between a Viking front office exec and Peterson's agent over the winter. Couple that with last fall when supposedly the Viking front office was split on whether to fight for Peterson's reinstatement or not. One of the people supposedly fighting for Peterson to not be reinstated was Kevin Warren.....who was promoted in February to I believe COO. Apparently this did not go over well with Peterson and his camp. Things haven't seemed to be the same since and that's when the talk of "Peterson's days with Minnesota may be numbered" began.

Seems like small things with so much at stake for Peterson and the Vikes but a lot of breakups have started smaller.

NFL players love free food. Read nothing into it.

Plus he probably wanted to pet the camel that Peterson rode in on. How often do you get to do that?

I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread but there was a pretty high profile blow up between a Viking front office exec and Peterson's agent over the winter. Couple that with last fall when supposedly the Viking front office was split on whether to fight for Peterson's reinstatement or not. One of the people supposedly fighting for Peterson to not be reinstated was Kevin Warren.....who was promoted in February to I believe COO. Apparently this did not go over well with Peterson and his camp. Things haven't seemed to be the same since and that's when the talk of "Peterson's days with Minnesota may be numbered" began.

Seems like small things with so much at stake for Peterson and the Vikes but a lot of breakups have started smaller.

I think we've learned a lot more about the Dogra dynamic since that occurred. Most notably, that he doesn't get a dime if the contract is not redone. Of course, trade and contract restructure is one way to get Dogra a payday. However, he also publically demanded a 'face of the franchise' new contract with Minnesota. He wouldn't be asking for a face of the franchise raise if returning to Minnesota was a non starter. If you boil it all down, this is likely all about money. AP has not said why he's "uncomfortable" and I think it is safe to speculate his non-guaranteed contract is what is driving that emotion. If it is all about money, then IMHO there is no chance that AP sacrifices all/part of $13M at age 30 by holding out. Maybe a 25 year old takes that approach, but not a 30 year old RB. A 30 year old RB is not going to hold out with upshot of getting an even better deal when he's a 31 year old RB, out of football at that point for the better part of 2 seasons..

The answers to your question is ALWAYS money.

Some people got their feels hurt. Some got their pride slapped. But EVERYONE has their pocket book committed to this thing.

Peterson wants paid. The agent wants his cut. The team and league knows that a blemish-free "popular with the fans" Peterson sells a lot of jerseys and doesn't run the risk of having sponsorships pulled, aggravation by people feeling offended, etc. It's a big deal for a team to protect image. It has a REAL effect.

A lot of people have posted about how the Vikes haven't went to bat for Peterson, etc. You try being that guy that is having your business/livelihood threatened by the actions of an employee and you learn real quick there is a tight rope that has to be walked sometimes. And, in the end, what possible support could be better than what the Vikes GM is saying now. He tells every person that holds a mic up to him that the Vikings have absolutely zero interest in trading him. 99% of the time, people take that as a strong vote of confidence.

"Lay low for a while, let this blow over, we'll still pay you, and then we'll get back on track."

Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Me too.

Do you think they said that to him?

Except I think it went more like:

Vikings: "you are to much for us to handle right now, we worked out a deal to you put on the commissioners exempt list and you will get paid while you tend to your legal situation. Once you clear that up we'll welcome you back with open arms, sound good Adrian?

Adrian: "I prepped all off-season for this season. Went through training camp, playing on Sundays is the easy part now. I'm chasing Emmit Smith for the all-time rushing record, putting a HOF resume of my own together and really looking forward to playing for Coach Zimmerman and Coach Turner. So no I don't want to go on the list even it if means I'm getting paid but if you think it's best for everyone than I'll do it until my case is resolved"

Fast forward to reaching a plea deal and the heat had died down considerably.

Adrian:" I reached a plea deal, I'm ready to come of this commissioners list like we agreed."

Vikings: "not so fast. Yes we reached a deal with the NFL to put you on the list like we told you about but we can't just take off, that's up to the commissioner"

Roger : " I'm going to suspend Peterson for the rest of the season and to add further insult I'll make that suspension post FA and make him follow a certain set of criteria to get back in the league, we'll make him beg his way back in and I'll use him as one of my new poster boy to show how tough I can be. I'm getting this right after messing up on Ray Rice. Yes I understand what ADP did was before the new policy took into impact and it's obvious to anyone paying attention he has to pay for our bungling of the Ray Rice situation. Someone has to pay and it's sure not going to be me. Let him fight us in court but I'm making an example of him"

Vikings: "we fully appreciate and support the NFL and their decision"

This is followed by months of Vikings silence, not a single iota of public support until the season ends. After months of leaving him hang out to dry they finally break their silence and public lack of support and start throwing out statements they want him back.

Adrian: "I think I'd be better off playing somewhere else, I don't feel comfortable playing for this team or in this city any longer"

Oof. More like "I'm Adrian ####### Peterson. Everyone does what I want all the time. What the #### is going on here? I'm important!"

Well you're an idiot and a packers fan so you're biased and you predicted his decline before his single best season ever so I'm not sure you're gonna catch a lot of fish with this.

AP isn't an egomaniac. Never has been. He felt like the Vikes didn't stand by him. Which is true. Because of $$$. That hurt him so he wants out. Sounds like the dialogue above is probably close-ish (albeit a bit player-centric) :shrug:

Oof. More like "I'm Adrian ####### Peterson. Everyone does what I want all the time. What the #### is going on here? I'm important!"

Well you're an idiot and a packers fan so you're biased and you predicted his decline before his single best season ever so I'm not sure you're gonna catch a lot of fish with this.

AP isn't an egomaniac. Never has been. He felt like the Vikes didn't stand by him. Which is true. Because of $$$. That hurt him so he wants out. Sounds like the dialogue above is probably close-ish (albeit a bit player-centric) :shrug:

Wow, why is that called for? I am a Packers fan but I recognize the professionalism that the Vikings have shown and I'm an idiot for that? Give me a break. For the record what is Adrian going for these days?

Also what were the Vikings supposed to do. Adrian didn't do drugs or even get a DUI. He whipped a kid to the point of causing genital injuries. WTF were they supposed to do, support him and child beatings? Were they supposed to stonewall the media and hide him? Seriously, what were they supposed to do?

Nothing "happened" to Adrian. He willfully beat his kid to the point the police got involved. Probably many times. What is a professional organization supposed to do in this situation?

Also what were the Vikings supposed to do. Adrian didn't do drugs or even get a DUI. He whipped a kid to the point of causing genital injuries. WTF were they supposed to do, support him and child beatings? Were they supposed to stonewall the media and hide him? Seriously, what were they supposed to do?

Nothing "happened" to Adrian. He willfully beat his kid to the point the police got involved. Probably many times. What is a professional organization supposed to do in this situation?

Distance themselves from the individual. Which they did. Until they didn't.

Wow, why is that called for? I am a Packers fan but I recognize the professionalism that the Vikings have shown and I'm an idiot for that? Give me a break. For the record what is Adrian going for these days?
I'm not defending AP. Nowhere in my post did I say he should feel hurt. But your characterization of him is baseless and childish.
  • Like 2

You called me an idiot, and I'm being childish?

I think Adrian is in the unfamiliar situation of having a somebody more powerful than him seek his true accountability for his actions from him. And he's totally unprepared for that. So he's acting on emotion. Think about what his agent said "We want to know if the Vikings view him as a 30 year old running back or as the the face of their franchise." WTF is that even supposed to mean? Of course he's a 30 year old running back. That's a fact. But the dichotomy of how he framed it, as if he can't be both, was purposefully worded. They didn't respond, as they shouldn't.

He's acting like a scorned woman or something. Really weird and unprofessional of his agent.

I'm not defending AP. Nowhere in my post did I say he should feel hurt. But your characterization of him is baseless and childish.

I've ignored Sabertooth's posts in this thread a while ago. Just in this thread though.