What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (1 Viewer)

Faust said:
Sort of odd that La Canfora contemplates that topic without describing why it is viable or puts any pressure on the situation. Can anyone remind me how a contract without guaranteed $ would be treated if the player retires? If it immediately frees up the cap amount previously allotted to AP, I'd think the Vikes would be fine with that (i.e. not having to face AP or be chided for selling low, and avoiding the exorbitant salary they probably would have preferred lowering).

Faust said:
Sort of odd that La Canfora contemplates that topic without describing why it is viable or puts any pressure on the situation. Can anyone remind me how a contract without guaranteed $ would be treated if the player retires? If it immediately frees up the cap amount previously allotted to AP, I'd think the Vikes would be fine with that (i.e. not having to face AP or be chided for selling low, and avoiding the exorbitant salary they probably would have preferred lowering).
I would think the player's salary comes off the books and any remaining signing bonus gets added in against the cap.

Faust said:
And if he retires is that it, he can't play for another team ever? Or can that be used as a way out of a contract and then he says he changed his mind and is a free agent?

Faust said:
And if he retires is that it, he can't play for another team ever? Or can that be used as a way out of a contract and then he says he changed his mind and is a free agent?
If he retires the Vikings retain his rights.

Faust said:
If he retires the Vikings still have rights to him. Rolando McClain retired while under contract with the Ravens. When Dallas wanted to sign him after a year off the Cowboys had to trade for him from Baltimore. I think they paid a 7th or so for him.

Faust said:
I would think the player's salary comes off the books and any remaining signing bonus gets added in against the cap.
That would be my expectation as well. I think I've read the Vikes can demand return of any unearned prorated signing bonus if AP holds out, and would think that same recourse is available upon a decision to retire. If it becomes a cap wash depending on the Vikes sticking to their guns and using their rights, I don't see how this is a realistic strategy for AP to get more $. He won't get freedom, won't get 2015 guaranteed (and in fact loses that entire possible salary), and will potentially need to pay back money he's already pocketed. All this while clock runs on his dwindling career. Very baffling that a writer like La Canfora would dabble on this topic without drilling down to why it advantages AP.

Shutout said:
Old Smiley said:
Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN
Mike Zimmer with as strong a statement as he's made on Peterson: "He's got two choices. He can play for us or not play."
I like Zimmer a lot.
Did something develop further that spurred this statement by Zimmer or did he just offer it out there?
http://www.startribune.com/zimmer-peterson-really-has-two-choices-he-can-either-play-for-us-or-he-can-not-play/305196251/

It took 3 minutes and 15 seconds for reporters to get around to the one Viking absent from this week’s voluntary OTAs at Winter Park.

That’s 195 seconds from the start of coach Mike Zimmer’s post-practice press conference to someone asking if Zimmer is concerned about running back Adrian Peterson’s absence among the 89 other Vikings who did show up.

“No,” Zimmer said. “I’m not concerned.”

Zimmer also disputed a report that Peterson told him before this week’s OTAs that he wouldn’t be here.

“That is completely false,” Zimmer said. “So I know there are a lot of things that are out there. I don’t know when he’s coming. And so we’ll just leave it at that.”

Zimmer said he hasn’t talked to Peterson recently. As for whether people are making too much about his decision to skip this week’s OTAs, well, Zimmer doesn’t really hasn’t given it much thought.

“You all have jobs to do and I understand,” Zimmer said. “So it’s more about … he has missed a lot of OTAs over the course of his career. I’m not worried about it. I got 89 guys out here that I’m coaching and trying to get better. So it is what it is.”

Asked if it was discouraging that Peterson has created a negative vibe by not speaking kindly of the Vikings, Zimmer quickly got to the bottom line:

“Its really not my place to figure out what he’s not saying publicly or what anybody else is saying,” he said. “It’s more about, really, these guys who are out here. Adrian, he’s really got two choices. He can either play for us or he can not play. He’s not going to play for anybody else. That’s just the way it’s going to be. “

What incentive does Dez have to play his heart out for the Cowboys? To play when hurting? If he is unhappy there he can be more of a detriment than help
Except Dez doesn't have a contract after this year.
I doubt Peterson does either. Vikings can release him with no penalty. Rich Eisen has speculated that this is the real reason Peterson is unhappy with the Vikings.
Turns out Eisen was 100% correct.

Josina Anderson · @JosinaAndersonStatement to me from Adrian Peterson: "The reason I'm not attending OTAs has nothing to do with wanting to be traded. It's about securing my future with the Vikings. It's business, not personal and I understand that firsthand. Go Vikings."
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero

Tom Pelissero retweeted Josina Anderson

"Securing my future with the Vikings" = securing some sort of guaranteed money. As it has been since the draft.
Charles Robinson is going to have to work to find another trade scenario that makes any sense when all Peterson really wants is guaranteed money.

Old Smiley said:

Mike Zimmer with as strong a statement as he's made on Peterson: "He's got two choices. He can play for us or not play."
I like Zimmer a lot.
Is Zimmer aware he's not the GM and ultimately isn't the one who makes those decisions?
Zimmer is a hot head but I don't think he'd make that strong of a statement on a controversial topic without knowing how his GM feels. I'm guessing they agree.

Old Smiley said:

I like Zimmer a lot.
Is Zimmer aware he's not the GM and ultimately isn't the one who makes those decisions?
Zimmer is a hot head but I don't think he'd make that strong of a statement on a controversial topic without knowing how his GM feels. I'm guessing they agree.
i'm sure they are on the same page, just funny to hear him come out with statements that imply he's the one in charge of making those decisions.

Old Smiley said:

I like Zimmer a lot.
i'm sure they are on the same page, just funny to hear him come out with statements that imply he's the one in charge of making those decisions.
I didn't take it as him implying he's in charge... I took it as more of a "as things stand now" statement.

Old Smiley said:

I like Zimmer a lot.
I didn't take it as him implying he's in charge... I took it as more of a "as things stand now" statement.
He can definitely speak for the team, it's part of his job.

LOL at all the retirement talk. Peterson is not walking away from $13 million dollars. He'll show up for camp the day before salaries are guaranteed and collect his paycheck.

Just retired long time PIT CB Ike Taylor is consistently the funniest commentator on the NFL Top 100 players series.

On Adrian Peterson: "Nightmare. He Jason. Freddie Kruger." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
a good post replying to Peterson's rant about one side having all the power:

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Boser
I just retweeted that a little bit ago. Was a great post. Sad to see so many people defend him.
Best Response in that Tweet:

So is he returning his 2014 salary? As a two sided contract he didn't do anything to deserve his side last year.
:thumbup:
That's a stupid tweet. If he sat out willingly, it would hold water, but he was willing to play all year.

I just retweeted that a little bit ago. Was a great post. Sad to see so many people defend him.

So is he returning his 2014 salary? As a two sided contract he didn't do anything to deserve his side last year.
That's a stupid tweet. If he sat out willingly, it would hold water, but he was willing to play all year.
:goodposting: I let my personal "F U Peterson" feelings after his Rant yesterday cloud my judgement.

At this point my hope is he shows up next month for Mandatory Training Camp, plays for the Vikings, and the first game at TCF when he is introduced the entire crowd either stays completely silent, or Boos..

:goodposting: I let my personal "F U Peterson" feelings after his Rant yesterday cloud my judgement.At this point my hope is he shows up next month for Mandatory Training Camp, plays for the Vikings, and the first game at TCF when he is introduced the entire crowd either stays completely silent, or Boos..
The way this has gone (his apparent lack of self-awareness regarding this situation being his doing) has me thoroughly convinced that it'll be 95% boos from the crowd for his first home game. I've been a huge fan of his, and at this point I'd rather not see him play another down in the NFL. Just complete and utter cluelessness defined.

:goodposting: I let my personal "F U Peterson" feelings after his Rant yesterday cloud my judgement.At this point my hope is he shows up next month for Mandatory Training Camp, plays for the Vikings, and the first game at TCF when he is introduced the entire crowd either stays completely silent, or Boos..
The way this has gone (his apparent lack of self-awareness regarding this situation being his doing) has me thoroughly convinced that it'll be 95% boos from the crowd for his first home game. I've been a huge fan of his, and at this point I'd rather not see him play another down in the NFL. Just complete and utter cluelessness defined.
Up until yesterdays :rant: I was willing to say "Forgive but don't forget" and let's play...

But yesterday's Rant just showed how "Entitled" he feels.. Of course later he tried to back track and say he wasn't ranting about the Vikings, but the Union for allowing the Contracts to be what they are..

Sorry Peterson, your foot is already half way down your throat and no Shoe horn is getting it back out that easily.

Still hoping he let's it go and comes out with full vengeance for the season.. :popcorn:

I don't understand why people are getting so upset over him wanting guaranteed money. There are tons of athletes that tweet and express themselves as wanting a different contract. He's accepted that the Vikings aren't trading him, so if he's going to play for a team that he feels did a disservice to him last season, he wants to make sure he's not on a 1-year contract. You might not agree with how he disciplined his child, but that ship sailed long ago.

I don't understand why people are getting so upset over him wanting guaranteed money. There are tons of athletes that tweet and express themselves as wanting a different contract. He's accepted that the Vikings aren't trading him, so if he's going to play for a team that he feels did a disservice to him last season, he wants to make sure he's not on a 1-year contract. You might not agree with how he disciplined his child, but that ship sailed long ago.
For me this is a culmination of his own stupidity. He signed the GD contract, with the non-guaranteed money at the tail end when he was going to be 31+ years old. He didn't have a problem when he was getting his signing bonus, and he put his name to the contract, so why the issue now? Well it's because he's disenchanted with the Vikings and on top of that I'm sure realizes that if for some reason things don't go well this year, the Vikings will cut him and he'll be a 31 year old free agent, coming off two years of poor (or no) production along with one massive PR catastrophe. On top of that, we're in a period where teams simply aren't paying RB's $10MM plus per year. So of course he wants his final years guaranteed. The problem is, IMO he's done nothing to warrant the Vikings going out of their way to guarantee any more money than they already have due to how he's responded to his suspension last year. This was a PR nightmare for the Vikings, Peterson has publicly made his desire known that he no longer desires to play for them, and he's shown no remorse for what he did or the lose-lose position he put his employer in. But despite all that, "GUARANTEE ME MY MONEY!!" F him. The Vikings are doing the best thing they could have considering the situation, assuming there was no viable trade partner that would've netted them a fair value deal to part with him.

Peterson has no options here if he wants a paycheck this year other than to show up and play for the Vikings, and by God I hope the Vikings stand their ground and don't reward his behavior by guaranteeing any more money than they've already committed to him.

Probably because back when he signed his contract he got his guaranteed money:

Adrian Peterson signed a 6 year, $86,280,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $36,000,000 guaranteed
Seems like PLENTY of guaranteed money to me :shrug:

IMO, a lot of this is due to his greedy agent, who was not Peterson's agent back when he signed that last contract and thus didn't get his big pay day..

In his first home game he is going to be cheered wildly, probably given a standing ovation to welcome him back with open arms, not for support for anything he's done but to show they are still behind him and kind of as FU to the NFL and media for how they have handled this. On the road I'm sure he will get a lot more boos and heckling.

In his first home game he is going to be cheered wildly, probably given a standing ovation to welcome him back with open arms, not for support for anything he's done but to show they are still behind him and kind of as FU to the NFL and media for how they have handled this. On the road I'm sure he will get a lot more boos and heckling.
Huh? First of all, there would be no "handling" of anything if it weren't for Peterson's actions. I don't believe you'll find many fans who are angry with out the NFL and/or the media have dealt with this situation.

Finally, there will definitely be a spattering of rubes that cheer Peterson's introduction that first game. But he's digging himself a hole that I don't think he'll be able to climb out of prior to opening day as it relates to how fans are going to react to him. Based on Peterson's lack of remorse for beating his child, open desire to play elsewhere, and his continued stupidity, I don't think the initial fan reaction is going to be anything close to "cheered wildly." In fact, I feel confident it'll be quite the opposite.

This will certainly be interesting to watch unfold.

before yesterday's :rant: I figured 75% or better cheers with just a few boos and rest nothing..

Now.. :oldunsure: .. 50/50 ??

Next month will tell a lot when Mandatory Camps opens...

Someone needs to tell him to just shut up. Keep your mouth shut, play well for the 1st half of the year, and then address guaranteed money quietly behind closed doors with the team. Much better chance of getting what you want that way, and avoid the public opinion backlash. He's really coming off as utterly clueless in all of this.

All he has to do is play like Adrian Peterson and he gets paid. Isn't that why he got the contract he did?

Does Monte Ball deserve AP money? Not unless he plays as well as AP (which ain't gonna happen).

That's how contracts work -- both sides get value out of them.

I think incentive based contracts should be more common.
that is a tough one.. I've also thought that would be best... but you'd have to put in some kind of protection for the player.. assume an incentive for 12 TD's.. player has 10 going into game 16, scores one in the 3rd quarter . what stops the coach from using a "change of pace" Back the rest of the game any time they get inside the 20?

Same goes for yardage, receptions, carries, etc...

:shrug:

that is a tough one.. I've also thought that would be best... but you'd have to put in some kind of protection for the player..assume an incentive for 12 TD's.. player has 10 going into game 16, scores one in the 3rd quarter . what stops the coach from using a "change of pace" Back the rest of the game any time they get inside the 20?

You don't make an incentive that difficult to get, or make it a scaling incentive. (TDs would probably be a bad incentive for a RB, yards from scrimage would be better. You shouldn't care who scores the TDs on your team.)

that is a tough one.. I've also thought that would be best... but you'd have to put in some kind of protection for the player.. assume an incentive for 12 TD's.. player has 10 going into game 16, scores one in the 3rd quarter . what stops the coach from using a "change of pace" Back the rest of the game any time they get inside the 20?

... the fact the coach is trying to keep his job and earn his contract as well so he's doing ANYTHING to get closer to winning the SB.

I think incentive based contracts should take into account production based on playing time and team success as well though.

snogger said:
GreenNGold said:
SayWhat? said:
snogger said:
Pots said:
snogger said:

before yesterday's :rant: I figured 75% or better cheers with just a few boos and rest nothing..Now.. :oldunsure: .. 50/50 ??

You honestly think the fans in September are going to remember or care about some tweet made in May that much. You and I both know a lot of people that actually shell out $ to attend those games will be cheering anything in purple. Tough guys on the sports radio call in programs aren't representative of a fanbase.

You honestly think the fans in September are going to remember or care about some tweet made in May that much. You and I both know a lot of people that actually shell out $ to attend those games will be cheering anything in purple. Tough guys on the sports radio call in programs aren't representative of a fanbase.
The rant could definitely be forgotten by September. It won't be if it is one in a line of poor decisions. AP is making September seem a long time away.

Not sure about how retirement would affect cap, but heard somewhere (I think Paul Charchian on KFAN) that if a player retires it puts their contract on hold. So if he's under contract for the Vikes for 3 more years, that contract goes on hold while retired. He could sit a year, and still be under contract for 3 years. He could sit for 2 years, and still be under contract for 3 years, etc... If this is correct, absolutely no benefit to AP to sit because contract clock stops.

Also - completely agree that since it was apparently AP's desire in the 6 year deal he signed to get all the guaranteed money upfront in the first 3 years as opposed to spreading it out over the entire deal, pretty lame to complain now that there's no guaranteed money left in his deal.

LOVE how Zimmer is handling this

snogger said:
GreenNGold said:
SayWhat? said:
snogger said:
Pots said:
snogger said:

before yesterday's :rant: I figured 75% or better cheers with just a few boos and rest nothing..Now.. :oldunsure: .. 50/50 ??

Up here it was either the #1 or the #2 news story on all News channels the next day..

All you have to do is visit the News pages themselves, or their Facebook page, and read the comments to see how much people are in the "Hate" category towards him right now..

It used to be when one of these stories broke in the last year in regards to AP you'd see 60% dislike comments, with 40% defend.. Right now it is more 95% - 5%..

You are correct in that IF he shows up for Mandatory Camp and stops playing the victim between now and the beginning of the season it mostly will be forgotten.

Problem is, at least so far, he hasn't learned to just Shut the Front door..

:popcorn:

Very interesting tidbit on the Audible chat this week from Bloom (whoever he is). Says this all jibes with a scenario where all this junk is agent driven. Says Dogra(?) has lost a lot of clients over the past few years and has no chunk of AP's current deal. Asks who's interest is being served.

It comes up just before the hour mark in the podcast.

Apparently, it is discussed on On the Couch as well.

Very interesting tidbit on the Audible chat this week from Bloom (whoever he is). Says this all jibes with a scenario where all this junk is agent driven. Says Dogra(?) has lost a lot of clients over the past few years and has no chunk of AP's current deal. Asks who's interest is being served.

It comes up just before the hour mark in the podcast.

Apparently, it is discussed on On the Couch as well.
This is actually :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread