What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

If I understand correctly, Peterson hasn't lost any money yet. So he was never fined. He also was never suspended, technically, because he was on the COmmish's exempt list (is that right?). So why is it over the top (or even accurate) for media to speculate serving "another 6 game suspension" when he didn't serve one to start with. He was, for lack of better term, removed or tabled until the legal process worked itself out but he hasn't been officially punished. So for the media to say they will fine him 6 games and call it good actually seems like a big no-no because they are accepting payment in money form in lieu of time served which the policy is built around.

Again, not trying to get an argument on this, just trying to understand how the angle holds up.
The angle holds up because Roger Goodell has never been consistent with the NFL rules. Anything can happen.Also, it's highly unlikely that Peterson would have made the plea deal if he didn't already have some kind of agreement in place with Goodell. (Otherwise, he would have just waited until the offseason.)

Totally off the wall question - lets say he's reinstated tomorrow, but Minnesota doesn't want him back so they full out cut him. I have no idea of the salary cap ramifications of that....

If a totally reinstated "free agent", where would his best situation be for the rest of this year? Both him personally, as well as for fantasy purposes?
Quick thoughts, in descending order of how good the situation would be for him:

New England

San Diego

Denver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Tampa

Jacksonville
Waivers run based on record, right? If so it wouldn't get past Oakland or Jax.

Moss had this situation a couple years ago when NE let him go.
He's produced at an elite level in some pretty bad offenses in Minnesota with stacked boxes. I don't see Oak or Jax as a reason to not go all-in on his potential upside.

Totally off the wall question - lets say he's reinstated tomorrow, but Minnesota doesn't want him back so they full out cut him. I have no idea of the salary cap ramifications of that....

If a totally reinstated "free agent", where would his best situation be for the rest of this year? Both him personally, as well as for fantasy purposes?

New England

San Diego

Denver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Tampa

Jacksonville

And they would then have to get him to sign a contract, correct? They wouldn't be on the hook for his current deal, they'd have to do a new one?

So if "cut", he wouldn't get any say in where he goes? Why would he have to go through waivers?

His pleading of No Contest still triggers the Domestic Abuse policy. That is a fact.
Link?
My TV set.ESPN put up an exerpt from the the DAP and it specifically said "No Contest" pleadings count.
The prosecution agreed to remove all references to domestic abuse, so I don't think it's accurate to say that it's a "fact" that Peterson's plea would trigger the Domestic Abuse policy.

Do you guys really think Minnesota is going to cut him? Why would they do that now after having paid him to do nothing the last 8 weeks?

His pleading of No Contest still triggers the Domestic Abuse policy. That is a fact.
Link?
If someone is charged with domestic violence or sexual assault, there will be a mandatory evaluation and, where professionally indicated, counseling or other specialized services. Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant. Among the circumstances that would merit a more severe penalty would be a prior incident before joining the NFL, or violence involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/sport/nfl-goodell-domestic-violence-memo/index.html

I'm not sure if this was updated.

If this was the final or if this is the current standing policy, how did they not think to explicitly include child abuse??? Maybe child abuse is implicitly part of the policy?

New England

San Diego

Denver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Tampa

Jacksonville

And they would then have to get him to sign a contract, correct? They wouldn't be on the hook for his current deal, they'd have to do a new one?

So if "cut", he wouldn't get any say in where he goes? Why would he have to go through waivers?
Again, just recalling what happened with Moss, he went on waivers and was claimed somewhere towards the middle by the Titans.

I think the question is whether there will be a media backlash against the Vikings if they play him. Will they lose sponsors, etc.

Or does the short attention span of the public not care anymore.
In my mind AP comes back either week 11 or week 17, and it depends on the following:

1) How the public reacts in the next few days - particularly the folks in Minnesota. My sense is that people are vey forgiving, and if AP acts contrite and humble there won't be any public outcry influencing Goodell.

2) Roger Goodell.... Oh Roger... This is the real wild card. As we all know, it's always about Roger. Will he want to seem extra tough on domestic violence after completely botching the Ray Rice situation? I am worried about this. I think there's a chance he may come down extra tough on AP to compensate for his prior failings.
This will be the most interesting part. When this all started, the headhunters were out in full force in Minnesota because AD was the face of the franchise that the state and local governments were buying the stadium for. It was only after the politicians and sponsors started screaming that the Vikings realized they better take another course. Just going by what has happened up there in the past and knowing how conservative some can be there, I could see them wanting him to be suspended the rest of the season without pay and threaten if he is not.

Guys, he pleaded to a lesser charge, but it was still a charge of reckless assault involving is son. How on earth is that not subject to the DAP?

New England

San Diego

Denver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Tampa

Jacksonville

Because it's after the trade deadline, he'd be claimed on waivers. If he has a no-trade clause in his contract, he's a free agent after this season. If he doesn't, he's not a free agent until after next season.

LOL - Odds that Peterson plays for the Minnesota Vikings in 2014 33/1Where can I get that action? I'd put a hundy on that in a heartbeat.
Didn't see a date...I'm assuming its from week 2 of the season
It appears that you didn't read the first sentence of the article.

It appears running back Adrian Peterson won’t be facing prison time regarding his child abuse case as he’s pleading no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the question is whether there will be a media backlash against the Vikings if they play him. Will they lose sponsors, etc.

Or does the short attention span of the public not care anymore.
In my mind AP comes back either week 11 or week 17, and it depends on the following:1) How the public reacts in the next few days - particularly the folks in Minnesota. My sense is that people are vey forgiving, and if AP acts contrite and humble there won't be any public outcry influencing Goodell.

2) Roger Goodell.... Oh Roger... This is the real wild card. As we all know, it's always about Roger. Will he want to seem extra tough on domestic violence after completely botching the Ray Rice situation? I am worried about this. I think there's a chance he may come down extra tough on AP to compensate for his prior failings.
This will be the most interesting part. When this all started, the headhunters were out in full force in Minnesota because AD was the face of the franchise that the state and local governments were buying the stadium for. It was only after the politicians and sponsors started screaming that the Vikings realized they better take another course. Just going by what has happened up there in the past and knowing how conservative some can be there, I could see them wanting him to be suspended the rest of the season without pay and threaten if he is not.
I was one of the headhunters. What got me most vocal at the time was Peterson's initial insistence that he did nothing wrong. That was maddening to me and required the public smack down he eventually received. It's a whole different ball game when someone comes out, admits they made a mistake, serves a punishment, and then asks for forgiveness.

LOL - Odds that Peterson plays for the Minnesota Vikings in 2014 33/1Where can I get that action? I'd put a hundy on that in a heartbeat.
Didn't see a date...I'm assuming its from week 2 of the season
It appears that you didn't read the first sentence of the article.

It appears running back Adrian Peterson wont be facing prison time regarding his child abuse case as hes pleading no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.
Then I'll take those odds as well.

New England

San Diego

Denver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Tampa

Jacksonville

plz don't insult us like that.

beli scammed a 3rd off minny for him, after originally fleecing al davis for a 4th -- we don't casually discard assets

as another poster mentioned, it'd be kind of surprising if they waited 'til this point just to cut him, but if he did happen to get cut his contract would travel with him if (when) claimed by another team.

if he happened to pass through waivers unclaimed then he would no longer be under any contract and free to sign a new one with anybody

pretty sure AD doesn't have to clear waivers if cut.

don't think minny cuts him or plays him.

they will look to trade him in the off season.

Minneapolis is one of the most liberal cities in the country. And conservatives are the ones more prone to physical discipline.

The players are vocal about welcoming him back and the team is not out of contention. I'd be very surprised to see him cut.

Minneapolis is one of the most liberal cities in the country. And conservatives are the ones more prone to physical discipline.

The players are vocal about welcoming him back and the team is not out of contention. I'd be very surprised to see him cut.
Not being political here but doesn't the liberal element usually mean more PC reaction and being wont to judge him for his behavior?

Not being political here but doesn't the liberal element usually mean more PC reaction and being wont to judge him for his behavior?
:yes:

He's learned his lesson and think of all he can do to raise awareness. (partially tongue in cheek)

Guys, he pleaded to a lesser charge, but it was still a charge of reckless assault involving is son. How on earth is that not subject to the DAP?
Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.
Sure seems to. Although I don't believe Peterson takes this plea unless a backroom deal was already in place.

Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.
Sure seems to. Although I don't believe Peterson takes this plea unless a backroom deal was already in place.
Sure he does? Do avoid a felony and a possible jail sentence??

Which he could have done at a much later date, while still being paid his full salary for sitting out.

Which he could have done at a much later date, while still being paid his full salary for sitting out.
Maybe, maybe not? Maybe he gets a different prosecutor who does not give the same offer? Too many dynamics at play.

Maybe he knows he will get suspended either way and wants to deal with it now that a season is most likely considered a loss?

This shall be interesting!

Interesting is the word. It's the ultimate fantasy football lottery ticket. Could lead to a lot of fantasy titles and legendary mid season deals. Those who read the tea leaves correctly could be rewarded handsomely. This is why I play fantasy football!

Interesting is the word. It's the ultimate fantasy football lottery ticket. Could lead to a lot of fantasy titles and legendary mid season deals. Those who read the tea leaves correctly could be rewarded handsomely. This is why I play fantasy football!
I disagree. The uncertainty of suspensions and off the field issues make me want to quit fantasy football.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

:yes:

He's learned his lesson and think of all he can do to raise awareness. (partially tongue in cheek)
Right, true, like donating his paychecks to certain child services charities (which you may have mentioned).

I disagree. The uncertainty of suspensions and off the field issues make me want to quit fantasy football.
I can understand that sentiment. I've been playing fantasy football sice the early 90's and by far my favorite memory was the time when Priest Holmes got injured mid season and a guy came into the Shark Pool with inside info that he was done for the season. I researched his claim to the point where I even called a local KC newspaper to verify one of his sources. Made the trade for LJ and ended up winning the title that season.

If my team was any good I'd certainly take a shot on an AP lottery ticket. But if you're like me and your team stinks and is just barely in it, not sure I can take a chance on him.

Anything could happen.

But I just couldnt imagine the NFL doing anything to reignite that media storm they just passed.

Just seems too risky.

Anything could happen.

But I just couldnt imagine the NFL doing anything to reignite that media storm they just passed.

Just seems too risky.
Cant people tell the media is handling this way differently? Its like they want him to be reinstated.

The league is in over their head now with their dramatic reaction to this a few months ago. Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for a misdemeanor that he plead no contest to?

Anything could happen.

Just seems too risky.
Cant people tell the media is handling this way differently? Its like they want him to be reinstated.

The league is in over their head now with their dramatic reaction to this a few months ago. Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for a misdemeanor that he plead no contest to?
Stiffer punishments have been handed out to greater men, for less.

So yes, the NFL could do all of that to save themselves.

Peterson is getting paid, and this all came out at a bad time.

Its not NFL fans that are unhappy w/ all of this...so its hard to tell what would bring back the the negative press.

All it takes is one blogger to focus on this story to start everything back up.

Why risk it so he can play a few more games this season on a losing team?

Why yes, they easily could and IMO it's the likely outcome. Are you really questioning the capacity for the NFL to make arbitrary and illogical decisions?

If my team was any good I'd certainly take a shot on an AP lottery ticket. But if you're like me and your team stinks and is just barely in it, not sure I can take a chance on him.
That seems like an ideal situation to add him to me, generally speaking.

Anything could happen.

Just seems too risky.

Stiffer punishments have been handed out to greater men, for less.So yes, the NFL could do all of that to save themselves.

Its not NFL fans that are unhappy w/ all of this...so its hard to tell what would bring back the the negative press.

which player was better than Adrian who got a stiffer penalty for a lesser offense? Scratching my head on that one.

pretty sure AD doesn't have to clear waivers if cut.

don't think minny cuts him or plays him.

they will look to trade him in the off season.
Why not?
Vested veterans with four accrued seasons are exempt.

Edited to add: no great official NFL link, but those terms pop up enough in searches that they have to be right.

Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for a misdemeanor that he plead no contest to?
Alternately, you could ask, "Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for beating a little boy with a stick?" And of course the answer to that could easily be yes. So it all depends on how you choose to frame it.

It seems people keep emphasizing that it's "just" a misdemeanor, and that pleading no contest is not the same as pleading guilty, etc., and framed like that it seems like a no-brainier that he'll be back on the field in a week. But for many people this was never about the legal outcome anyway - he already admitted to beating a little kid - and all it will take is for the pictures of the abuse to start showing up again and the public outrage can swell up quickly. The NFL isn't so far removed from all that already and with all those "No More" ads running on TV during games and marketing to women, etc. the last thing they want to do is #### this up again.

Anything could happen.

Just seems too risky.

Stiffer punishments have been handed out to greater men, for less.So yes, the NFL could do all of that to save themselves.

which player was better than Adrian who got a stiffer penalty for a lesser offense? Scratching my head on that one.
He hasn't actually been penalized at all by the league yet, right? I mean, his paid leave of absence was "voluntary."

Anything could happen.

Just seems too risky.

I was speaking in general...in all facets of life.

Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for a misdemeanor that he plead no contest to?
Alternately, you could ask, "Are they really gonna force Peterson to miss a whole season for beating a little boy with a stick?" And of course the answer to that could easily be yes. So it all depends on how you choose to frame it.

It seems people keep emphasizing that it's "just" a misdemeanor, and that pleading no contest is not the same as pleading guilty, etc., and framed like that it seems like a no-brainier that he'll be back on the field in a week. But for many people this was never about the legal outcome anyway - he already admitted to beating a little kid - and all it will take is for the pictures of the abuse to start showing up again and the public outrage can swell up quickly. The NFL isn't so far removed from all that already and with all those "No More" ads running on TV during games and marketing to women, etc. the last thing they want to do is #### this up again.
Notice the thread title? This thread is about his status. His legal issues have been settled in court.

Joe Summer said:
Peterson will plead to one misdemeanor count of reckless assault

Peterson's plea deal was reported earlier Tuesday by ProFootballTalk.com, which also reported that the plea will not include any references to family violence or violence against a minor.
And since the plea does not have a reference to a family member....I'm guessing that it won't fall under the NFL's domestic violence policy.....which means that Peterson might not be subject to the mandatory 6 game suspension...
The NFL might think he beat a tree bloody? A coffee table? Perhaps a shrubbery?

Anything could happen.

Just seems too risky.

He hasn't actually been penalized at all by the league yet, right? I mean, his paid leave of absence was "voluntary."
League hasn't done anything yet but it wasn't voluntary. The Vikings put him on the commissioners exempt list.. The NFL could work out that ADP gives 6 weeks if the 8 to an abuse charity, proclaim his 6 game suspension served and reactive him for week 11. Then again they could start his 6 game suspension now making him available week 16.

:shrug:

Notice the thread title? This thread is about his status. His legal issues have been settled in court.
Yep. This thread is not for debates about child rearing, nor is it about his legal issues. It's supposed to be about his fantasy football status. All I'm saying is that his fantasy football status is still very much up in the air. He plead "no contest" to a misdemeanor charge in court, and he beat a little kid with a stick. Those are both facts, and both will weigh into the league's decision.

Users who are viewing this thread