What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (1 Viewer)

Not sure what Sam Bradford has to do with Adrian Peterson being successful or not. Peterson did put up over 2000 yards with Christian Ponder you know?

It is just a dig at Bradford to build Wentz up.

Adrian Peterson has been a slow starter in recent years, possibly due to not playing in preseason but I don't think that is entirely it either.

Peterson had a slow start last season as well 10 carries 31 yards.

I do think yesterdays game is perhaps the worst game by him I have seen thus far in Peterson's career and not that different than the game he had against Seattle in the playoffs last year 23 carries for 45 yards.

Shaun Hill did ok and played well enough for the Vikings to win. He did not take any sacks or throw any interceptions. Sam Bradford should be able to make defenses pay a bit more with the long passes and get them out of the 8 man fronts or pay for it with big plays to Diggs and/or Charles Johnson.

In fairness, Wentz was playing against the Browns.
Well, the last time Bradford faced the Browns was in the preseason and he tore his ACL and missed the season on a non-contact play but the Browns defense is terrible.  They lost five veteran starters.  Donte Whitner, Tashon Gibson, Karlos Dansby, to free agency.  Desmond Bryant to injury and they cut Paul Kruger.  They also are without depth, Armonty Bryant suspended, Craig Robertson (free agent), and Gilbert and Mingo were traded away.  

It is a really bad defense right now.

Not sure what Sam Bradford has to do with Adrian Peterson being successful or not.
Minnesota has to believe he is better than the guy they have now or they wouldn't have given up a 1st and 4th for him.

I think he will be better but it will take a few weeks so I'm benching AdP till the quarterback situation settles down.

If you can afford to bench him, then what kind of team do you have? I'm riding AP, it's week one. Benching him would be silly so early. 

Sam Bradford will be better than Shaun Hill once he is ready to play.

This still doesn't really matter as far as how well Peterson does. If he can be productive with Christian Ponder he can be productive with Shaun Hill who is better QB  than Ponder was (which isn't saying much).

You can bench Peterson if you want. I do think it is possible father time is catching up with him. I just don't think the QB play has much effect on how well Peterson does, that is mostly all on Peterson.

Some excerpts from Zimmer/Peterson after the game, nothing seems to indicate anything more than his 1st game after no preseason usual suckiness, I will be worried until I see him be the real AP again though.

“I take my hat off to Tennessee because they did an excellent job of cramming the run,’’ Peterson said.

“I don’t think it has to do with anything,’’ Peterson said of the difference. “I guess it pretty much has played out that way. I got to give credit to Tennessee’s defense. Those guys had a long time to prepare for us.’’

“I don’t think so,’’ Peterson said. “Of course, there’s nothing like playing football. … But I felt good (Sunday). My energy was good. I’m well conditioned, so that wasn’t a factor at all. What happened was that defense came out to stop the run and they did a good job of doing that. That’s the bottom line what happened.”

"I'm sure I'll look back on film and see two or three that one extra push or a better read by me, from being a 70-yarder," Peterson said. "I understand that."

“We’re not going to play a game this year that they’re not going to key in on Peterson,’’ said Vikings coach Mike Zimmer. “That’s going to be part of the deal, but it’s also going to open up other areas. … Hopefully, we can can keep moving and make them pick their poison.’’

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/11/adrian-peterson-again-struggles-in-opener-but-this-time-vikings-win/

Last edited by a moderator:
As I Peterson owner, I am not yet worried but I I am concerned.  19 carries for 31 yards!  A 1.6 average!  That's not bad.  That's atrocious

If you can afford to bench him, then what kind of team do you have? I'm riding AP, it's week one. Benching him would be silly so early. 
I understand that most can't afford to bench AdP but I play dynasty and have been seeding my team with RB talent and have options but thought he would be able to break the stacked boxes but with 2 defensive scores the game script got away from him.  I do expect an improvement but think Bradford is going to need more time.

This still doesn't really matter as far as how well Peterson does. If he can be productive with Christian Ponder he can be productive with Shaun Hill who is better QB  than Ponder was (which isn't saying much).

You can bench Peterson if you want. I do think it is possible father time is catching up with him

I did not see the game but all reports indicated they were stacking the box and daring Hill to beat them.  If Shuan was able to burn them, it would have forced them to drop a safety and not cheat up.  

I had the top scoring fantasy RB on my bench but had to go with AdP and DJ over CJ Anderson but I will be starting CJ next week.  I can afford to make the switch but understand most can't.

The Titans did stack the line and generally had more defenders than the Vikings could block on most of his runs. That isn't really any different than what he has faced in the past though.

Mike Zimmer basically said as much during his press conference. Every team is going to focus on stopping Peterson, it has been that way his entire career. Hasn't stopped him before.

Anderson played great. That seems like a reasonable alternative until Peterson starts playing well again.

The Vikings play the Packers at home next week. Peterson has had some pretty great games against them and certainly could do so again.

The Titans did stack the line and generally had more defenders than the Vikings could block on most of his runs. That isn't really any different than what he has faced in the past though.

Pre-Teddy, AdP was at least three years younger.

I think he has at least three more productive years and that he will finish up this year strong but will be benching him till Bradford gets up to speed.

Mike Zimmer basically said as much during his press conference. Every team is going to focus on stopping Peterson, it has been that way his entire career. Hasn't stopped him before.

Anderson played great. That seems like a reasonable alternative until Peterson starts playing well again.

The Vikings play the Packers at home next week. Peterson has had some pretty great games against them and certainly could do so again.
With guys on suspension the Packers are very thin on the defensive line right now.  Very thin.

Yeah the age could be a factor for sure. At some point the wheels are going to fall off. I think I have seen signs of that happening even last year. Yesterday was likely Peterson's worst game of his career from  yards/carry perspective considering how many carries he had.

I am not sure how often the Titans were in their 5-3 look. It might have been a higher percentage of plays than Peterson has faced in the past. I would need to watch the game again and chart that, or maybe someone else already has. I know in the past I have seen numbers that suggest Peterson only faced 8 defenders near the LOS 30% of the time in the past. Not sure how many of his runs yesterday would qualify as that. From what I observed it looked like more than that.

Obvious no need to panic as its week 1 and slow starts are nothing new for ADP.

What does concern me a little though was that I didnt see any effort whatsoever to involve him in the passing game.  Granted I didnt watch the whole game and havent seen stats on targets but I would have liked to seen a screen or something to try to get him the ball in space since TEN was loading up the box so heavily.

I know he's not utilized that much in the pass game but I'd like to see them at least try.  A couple of receptions, a few more screens, not too much to ask is it?

TIA, Norv.

Peterson has never really developed into a good receiving option. It has been the talk of the offseason for years now. Peterson keeps saying he has been focused on becoming more involved as a receiver, talking about watching Marshall Faulk and trying to learn how to do the things that he does.

For the most part it has been nothing but talk however. He catches the ball fine too (although does drop some he shouldn't at times). It is more that he doesn't seem very natural on screens. Perhaps part of that is the defense being so focused on him, that they never leave him open. A screen requires some disguise and trickery to be successful.

One thing that I think is different about this Vikings team compared to teams in the past is that the training of the offensive line has been more focused on pass protection, due to how horrible they were in this area last season. The team has been built more around supporting Teddy Bridgewater, while in the past the team was built more around Peterson I think. Not that most of those supporting elements are not still here. I just think the focus in training has been different.

Zach Line at FB was not winning any of his blocks that I saw and Joe Berger wasn't getting great push either. I would rather have Ellison playing FB than Line, but Norv likes the FB to be a receiving option. That is the only reason I can see for playing Zach Line. He rarely makes good blocks like Ellison does consistently or Felton or Kleinsasser before him. Zach Line played on 16 offensive snaps 25% of them.

Ellison had a PCL injury late last year, so he while he is healthy and playing, maybe not back to that same level as a blocker yet. I didn't really notice him but he did play on 13 snaps (21%) rookie TE David Morgan played on 20 (32%) while Rudolph played almost every down 58 (92%) so the Vikings were in either 2 TE or 1 TE and a FB over half of their plays. 

Minnesota Vikings Win Papers Over Real Concerns About Offense, But Not the Quarterback

There is a lot to put on the offensive line for those running statistics—tackles for loss don’t happen by magic—and certainly most of those runs allow one to identify an offensive lineman who didn’t perform up to par on his assignment. Newly-signed Alex Boone in particular had issues holding down a powerful Titans defensive line in the run game.

But the issue for Peterson is not that he’s a bad running back for not producing more than what was blocked for him, but that’s he paid to overcome the obstacles that having a bad offensive line creates. In many years, he had more than respectable production despite occasionally subpar blocking in front of him. In 2012, he had the perfect mixture of a good run-blocking line and the kind of burst, vision and power that makes him such a good back.

In this game, it seemed much more like he was a running back that needed his offensive line to perform in order for him to create the kinds of runs he’s known for. A running back limited by his offensive line is less of a threat—and much more difficult to build around—than one who adds yards regardless of what happens in front of him.

Per Paul Kuharsky, ESPN’s Tennessee Titans reporter, Peterson only gained nine yards after contact on nine carries—the lowest average he’s had since they’ve started tracking the statistic in 2009.

Peterson did miss lanes at times, but the bigger decisionmaking issues from him stem from a poor mix of patience and aggression, where Peterson was too patient for runs to the outside and too aggressive on runs on the inside.

Krauser @Krauserrific

Adrian Peterson's last 7 games:
132 carries for 397 yards (3.0 YPC), 19 1st downs, 3 TDs

His 5 longest runs:
39, 21, 10, 10, 10#RBCliff

3:02 PM - 11 Sep 2016

It didn’t help that play design often brought more defenders into the box by adding more blockers inside—sometimes it was fine, like when David Morgan lined up in the backfield and at other times it caused more problems than it solved, like lining up Stefon Diggs next to the tackles and bringing linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage.

Maybe looking at a sample that includes Peterson in an opening game and a subzero temperature game is unfair, but if he’s declined, this is what it looks like.

AP didn't look as explosive as in seasons past. Could this be the year that he starts the downward spiral?? Glad I took McKinnon just in case.

To add, IMO the team looks better with McKinnon on the field.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
With guys on suspension the Packers are very thin on the defensive line right now.  Very thin.
They did a good job against Jacksonville.

26 rushing attempts 48 yards 1.8 ypc  1 TD

Yes very true. Legendary. Still waiting for some flaming but that's ok.
It's coming, but I agree with you.  :thumbup:

He may still have a few good games here and there in the future, but he's not "Adrian Peterson" anymore.

That should get 'em foaming at the mouth.  Lol.

It's coming, but I agree with you.  :thumbup:

He may still have a few good games here and there in the future but, he's not "Adrian Peterson" anymore.

That should get 'em foaming at the mouth.  Lol.
Yep. Waiting for the..."ummmm obviously you didn't see him rush for 2097 yards one year removed from torn ACL/MCL at age 26" blablabla comments. :)

Yep. Waiting for the..."ummmm obviously you didn't see him rush for 2097 yards one year removed from torn ACL/MCL at age 26" blablabla comments. :)
All I can say is I very,very carefully watched his carries so far this year, in 90% of the cases I would say that it was O-line related, when you get the ball and there's always someone within 1 foot of you its tough to do much no matter who you are.

That said, liking his injury news this morning better than yesterday, hope all is intact and just a sprain, glad I got McKinnon handcuff, Asiata might be a decent flex play when he's out too, figure teams stop keying on AP and if Diggs can keep going and Johnson or someone else steps up then the pass game will continue to gain some respect.

If it's only the meniscus then that is good news.  He should be ready in a few weeks.

If Bradford can take advantage of the stacked boxes like he did last night, it will open things up for AdP once he is back.

I wouldn't shovel dirt on AdP yet.

There's a story on the blogger at 8:06am saying the injury is believed to be minor and Joe emailed me at 8:24am saying "week to week" and "possibly out for the season".

I know we don't know yet but this seems like the 24 news cycle where people want to report first instead of reporting accurately.

There's a story on the blogger at 8:06am saying the injury is believed to be minor and Joe emailed me at 8:24am saying "week to week" and "possibly out for the season".

I know we don't know yet but this seems like the 24 news cycle where people want to report first instead of reporting accurately.
I'm not sure about that.  Nobody that I've seen is reporting a definitive "first to release" prognosis.  It's all speculation, which is what people always "report" and discuss until an official diagnosis is disclosed.

I saw no where for him to run last night. No holes. Nothing to even remotely explode through. I am not willing to write him off (I don't own him) and still think he can be a very productive "older" RB. He is a freak of nature. When healthy and getting at least some semblance of blocking, he is still one of the upper echelon RB's in the league. I hope he can shrug this injury off and it is not major. I love watching him play football. One of the great legends of the game indeed. 

I'm not sure about that.  Nobody that I've seen is reporting a definitive "first to release" prognosis.  It's all speculation, which is what people always "report" and discuss until an official diagnosis is disclosed.
The 24 hour news cycle isn't about saying anything definitive.  Is it about reporting every speculation and rumor regardless of verifiable information.  It's about changing from people (reporters) verifying information to a drive to be the first to report it.

No.  No one has said "it is definitely major" or "definitively minor" but they have said "we believe it is minor" or "we believe it can be major" is very similar to "we hear there is another gunman" or "we believe she is pregnant".

It is what is it.

Well, people could just point to last year when he led the NFL in rushing at age 30.  And he was actually 27 in his 2000 yard season if we want to be accurate.

I was concerned about Peterson in redraft and traded him after week 1.  He may very well be done but I wouldn't be so quick or certain to say so.  He is getting hit in the backfield on a high percentage of his carries and neither the interior offensive line or Norv's playcalling/scheme seem to be doing him any favors.  He's been a slow starter for a while now but again, he led the league in rushing just last year.

I'm no longer invested from a FF standpoint but as a football fan, I hope he's not done.  And I don't think he is.  Especially if he avoided a serious injury last night and its more of a week to week thing.

If it's only the meniscus then that is good news.  He should be ready in a few weeks.

If Bradford can take advantage of the stacked boxes like he did last night, it will open things up for AdP once he is back.

I wouldn't shovel dirt on AdP yet.
NO?!

If a chunk of the meniscus is torn it will need to be stitched.  That is AD done for the season.  Unless he wants to get it cut out, take massive amounts of pain killers and have a knee replacement before he's 40.  

I saw no where for him to run last night. No holes. Nothing to even remotely explode through. 
To be fair though, he's also not looked at all explosive this year - 2 games is a small sample, but he looked slow before the injury and uncharacteristically indecisive as a runner. 

This injury won't help that, regardless of severity. I'd guess 6-8 weeks if it's the meniscus. Players come back from that. How much he's used when he comes back depends on how good McKinnon/Aistia look in his absence. 

Pure speculation here, but If they're playing well and the team is winning, I don't see why they would rush AP back. And if/when he returns, I would also not be surprised to see them employ more of a timeshare to protect him as an asset - the prize is the Super Bowl, and even if they miraculously dodged a bullet, they will want him healthy for the playoffs. 

Either way, I think AP may done as a premier FFB asset for this year.  

I am also skeptical that he dodged a bullet.  The people saying it's an MCL are speculating, as the MRI will be the only way to know what's really going on in there - I've read/heard many times that ACL injuries don't always have a ton of swelling. The lack of swelling seems to be what is generating optimism. 

Time will tell....tough break for FFB owners, the Vikes and the NFL - he's a fun player to watch. 

All I can say is I very,very carefully watched his carries so far this year, in 90% of the cases I would say that it was O-line related, when you get the ball and there's always someone within 1 foot of you its tough to do much no matter who you are.

That said, liking his injury news this morning better than yesterday, hope all is intact and just a sprain, glad I got McKinnon handcuff, Asiata might be a decent flex play when he's out too, figure teams stop keying on AP and if Diggs can keep going and Johnson or someone else steps up then the pass game will continue to gain some respect.
I hate this excuse. "It's the O-line's fault"

This is Adrian Peterson we're talking about. The great ones (which he's not anymore) find a way to churn out the yards despite not having ideal blocking. Peterson did this every game during his almost record-breaking season. Stacked boxes, inferior O-line, no passing game.

Face it, ADP is done.

I hope he is healthy but this Emmitt Smith fan is feeling better about the last RB who stands a chance of catching number 22 appearing to be slowing down. 

I hope he is healthy but this Emmitt Smith fan is feeling better about the last RB who stands a chance of catching number 22 appearing to be slowing down. 
It doesn't matter how many yards Emmitt Smith has, no one will ever put him on the same pedestal as Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, or  even Adrian Peterson.  We all know the reason why Emmitt Smith has the number of yards he has and that is because of the team he played with during the 90s.  Those Cowboy teams and offensive lines were some of the best in history.  He was not as good as the RBs I mentioned and pretty much everyone except Cowboy fans realize it.

Users who are viewing this thread