What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

--Teams generally don't part with franchise/HOF players until they're done - usually a year too late, if anything, so they don't alienate the fan base.  MINN didn't cut him through the child abuse stuff because he could still play.  Declining his option indicates they think he's done.

--He ended up signing a contract worth RB25 money which indicates every other team thought he's done, too.  And even that money is HEAVILY tied to incentives for games played, rushing totals, and touchdowns scored. The team most high on him and willing to give him a contract think there's a good chance he could be done as well, having only $2.5M signing bonus tied up in him for sure...which is very little for the NFL. 

--NO runs 3-4 different backs through touches.  Last year, in a game where Ingram was dominating, they gave 3 rushing TDs inside the 1 yard line, in one game, to John Kuhn.  Even if AP does magically get his groove back, that backfield is a land mine for fantasy value.

--He can talk all he wants about catching balls but that was never a big part of his game and it's not going to start at age 32.

Wasted pick any earlier than the 6th round in PPR, imo.  I won't consider him until the 7th.  In non-PPR I would consider him in the 5th.
I won't claim that I know what will happen here, but I will point out:

Emmitt Smith was productive for a little bit after he left the Cowboys.

Considering dollars and off the field stuff, the Vikings let him go test the market and he found a suitor.

The Vikings o line was trash for the last two years.

Peterson has proven himself super human on multiple occasions throughout his career.

Put it this way: would you bet your life that Peterson is definitively done?  I wouldn't.  

I think he has more in the tank than Arian Foster had when he went to Miami last year, that much is clear.

So there's a chance.  Picking him up as a flier makes a lot of sense on that basis.

One of them likely will return value - but it's too risky trying to pick which one imo. If I had to take one, Ingram would be the easy decision between those two, but frankly with Kamara also likely being involved, no thanks. 
Kamara is the wild card. How much work does he get- especially in the passing game?

I won't claim that I know what will happen here, but I will point out:

Emmitt Smith was productive for a little bit after he left the Cowboys.

Considering dollars and off the field stuff, the Vikings let him go test the market and he found a suitor.

The Vikings o line was trash for the last two years.

Peterson has proven himself super human on multiple occasions throughout his career.

Put it this way: would you bet your life that Peterson is definitively done?  I wouldn't.  

I think he has more in the tank than Arian Foster had when he went to Miami last year, that much is clear.

So there's a chance.  Picking him up as a flier makes a lot of sense on that basis.

Two things: 

--I wouldn't bet my life on anything fantasy football related. I would, however, bet the hundreds of dollars I use to gamble on FF that AP is not going to live up to his current PPR-league ADP.  That's the point.

--He's not a "flier" if his ADP is averaging in the 5th round. That's a core pick and you need it to be somewhat productive.  Flier = 8th+ round where a bust doesn't hurt your team.  He's not a flier - he's a core pick, and to me he's not worth a core pick this year.

Anything can happen, though. I think I'm more put-off by him this year because of where he went.  It seems like the Saints is where fantasy RBs die. If he had gone to somewhere like OAK where there wasn't any other competition, that's another story. He has both competition for touches and a coaching scheme that favors using a lot of them. So it's incredibly unlikely he has the upside you want in a 5th round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamara is the wild card. How much work does he get- especially in the passing game?
...enough to frustrate Ingram and Peterson owners imo.

While I don't think he'll see Sproles-like targets yet, I do think he fits that role well and will see more than Cadet. I liked him as a prospect and I think the Saints can use him to help replace Cooks. 

I took him at 6.4 in my 1-man keeper (so basically mid 7th.)  I'll be happy if he steps up but won't be devastated if he doesn't.  The advent of him being on the best offense he's ever sniffed along with the best QB he's played with (including Favre) makes him a very high upside pick IMHO.  If he goes the way of Arian Foster, oh well...

I took him at 6.4 in my 1-man keeper (so basically mid 7th.)  I'll be happy if he steps up but won't be devastated if he doesn't.  The advent of him being on the best offense he's ever sniffed along with the best QB he's played with (including Favre) makes him a very high upside pick IMHO.  If he goes the way of Arian Foster, oh well...
Brees may be better than Favre overall (it's at least debatable) but during the season he played with Peterson he was pretty amazing and most likely much better than Brees will be this season.

The thing with peterson is he isn't a high upside pick by any stretch of the imagination.  Ingram will get his, Cadet will get his, Kamara will get his.  Peyton has never utilized a one back set and is incredibly frustrating because he will just remove the hot hand in favor of some schmuck.  Peterson has a low floor and a low ceiling in my opinion.  

The thing with peterson is he isn't a high upside pick by any stretch of the imagination.  Ingram will get his, Cadet will get his, Kamara will get his.  Peyton has never utilized a one back set and is incredibly frustrating because he will just remove the hot hand in favor of some schmuck.  Peterson has a low floor and a low ceiling in my opinion.  
Fair points. There was 2600 yards and 24 RB TDs to be had last year in New Orleans. I'm not sure how it all shakes out distribution wise but there is room for upside imo.

Fair points. There was 2600 yards and 24 RB TDs to be had last year in New Orleans. I'm not sure how it all shakes out distribution wise but there is room for upside imo.
Which is a good chunk for sure.  I'm a previous ingram dynasty owner and Peyton is just too frustrating to count on.  He is worst than bellichek if you ask me.  John Kuhn had 5 of those tds.  In 2015, Hightower had 4 and Robinson had 4.  

This year you have Peterson and Ingram who are 'similar' runners, although Ingram is the more established receiver.  I think best case scenario your are taking ingram's number from last year, maybe adding 20% and then dividing that into a 60/40 split.  Don't ask me how that split will work though.  That would give the top back 700 yards then.  

Perfect recipe for Ingram to get inside the 5, and then Peyton throws AP in to score the revenge TDs.

Ingram throws a tantrum on the sidelines, gets benched next game...stop me when you've heard this one before...
Didn't ingram have his big games the week after his tantrums? 

For all the hype that meetings like this tend to create, there’s not much evidence that within the game itself that Adrian Peterson will have an enormous impact on who wins.
Let's just see what the Vikes do on play action. We'll find out pretty quickly into the game. My guess is internally they're committed to not letting him pick up momentum. If faking to him freezes the defensive front long enough for Brees to do his thing like he likes then AP will have had an impact.

Besides that, there has only been one additional game where a non-Ingram running back earned more than 60 yards while Ingram was healthy — a 41-23 blowout against San Francisco where Tim Hightower averaged 3.8 yards a carry to grind out the clock in the second half.
- This isn't exactly accurate. The game before that Ingram got yanked from the Seattle game for fumbling and the Saints leaned on Hightower to the tune of 26/102 (in a Win).

I get the point though, ie in a game where Ingram was healthy and active.

Look, there is no way to tell how this will play out. My guess is it will be Ingram leading the way like it's been the last couple years. However if Peterson picks up steam and eats up chunks of yards Payton will leave him in. That's just how it is, he wants productivity. Pierre Thomas just ran awesome screens and for a long time had a huge YPC. He beat out a 3rd round pick as an UDFA his rookie year. Later FF fans would bang their heads wondering why can't they just give Ingram the rock. Pierre ran with the ball the way Payton wanted the ball run. The guy ended up with 6400 yfs and 4.6 ypc. If Peterson is worn out then fine, but the guy I saw in preseason was kind of cool in the way he would just squeeze forward for 2 yards. I know that doesn't seem like much, but in a vanilla preseason scheme with backup linemen he'd just pick something up. I love that, it's running the football. Obviously 2.0 ypc won't win any fans or playing time, the point is if he's got "it" then he will stay on the field, we will see when we will see.

Peterson is done is my guess.  I don't even think this is conversation come week 6

Also in regards to the Vikings, it's important to remember that the saints always stink on the road.  

killface said:
Also in regards to the Vikings, it's important to remember that the saints always stink on the road.  
Fwiw the rep is on the road, outdoors, on grass.

They were 1-1 inside on the road last year, beat AZ 48-41 and lost to the falcs 32-38. So 80 points on the road indoors in 2 games last year.

killface said:
Peterson is done is my guess.  I don't even think this is conversation come week 6

We'll see. I thought he was done for at least the following season after he blew out his knee and he ran for 2,000 yards. I truly believe he is taking something chemically that is keeping him healthy that can't be tested by today's test. For that reason alone, I believe he has at least a great first half of the season if not an entire season. Eventually time will catch up to his chemically enhanced body, but I don't think it will be week 1. That's just me. 

Fwiw the rep is on the road, outdoors, on grass.

They were 1-1 inside on the road last year, beat AZ 48-41 and lost to the falcs 32-38. So 80 points on the road indoors in 2 games last year.
Interesting way to look at it.  I don't know what the difference is playing on the turf in SD for example and playing indoors but there you go.  No point in analyzing it

Inside or not a good defense at home usually gives them fits

If you expand that analysis to 2015 they stink on the road, indoors or out

Interesting way to look at it.  I don't know what the difference is playing on the turf in SD for example and playing indoors but there you go.  No point in analyzing it

Inside or not a good defense at home usually gives them fits

If you expand that analysis to 2015 they stink on the road, indoors or out
Just an observation. The Rams used to give them fits in St. Louis. By the way Saints historically have a terrible record against the Vikes. They've been a nemesis for the Saints over their history... well, you know, except for that one game one time.

We'll see. I thought he was done for at least the following season after he blew out his knee and he ran for 2,000 yards. I truly believe he is taking something chemically that is keeping him healthy that can't be tested by today's test. For that reason alone, I believe he has at least a great first half of the season if not an entire season. Eventually time will catch up to his chemically enhanced body, but I don't think it will be week 1. That's just me. 
Assuming PEDs with no proof is lame.  :thumbdown:

Adrian Peterson rushed six times for 18 yards in the Saints' Week 1 loss to the Vikings.

Drew Brees targeted Peterson once on a rollout goal-line play in the second half, but Peterson wasn't able to get open. With the Saints playing from behind much of the night and Peterson not being a factor as a pass catcher, he played just nine offensive snaps despite getting the nominal start in his return to Minnesota. Rookie Alvin Kamara led the way with 31 snaps, while Mark Ingram played 26. At one point, Peterson seemed to get a bit testy on the sideline with coach Sean Payton. Simply put, if the Saints are trailing, Peterson is going to be stuck on the sideline this season. He's no longer a 20-carries-per-game player. Treat Peterson as an RB3 heading into Week 2 against New England.

Status Update:  He's done
Yep.

He is a terrible fit for this Saints team, and he is too old now to be the lead back on a team looking to play smashmouth football (what teams are those, anyway?).  In 2017, if you are a RB and you can't catch the ball a little bit, you are pretty useless. 

Yep.

He is a terrible fit for this Saints team, and he is too old now to be the lead back on a team looking to play smashmouth football (what teams are those, anyway?).  In 2017, if you are a RB and you can't catch the ball a little bit, you are pretty useless. 
the whole signing seemed like an obvious bad idea to everyone but the saints. He might have actually succeeded on another team but this was about the worst landing spot. It's a hard year to be an older rb. Mixon, Hunt, Mcaffery, Cook all took those ideal pre-draft landing spots  

Giving Payton the death glare mid-game seems like a fantastic way to earn more playing time. :doh:  

i guess Ingram didn't properly explain the concept of "dog house" when ADP arrived. 

Payton don't care if you're HOF - everyone on his roster is JAG earning some touches. 
Eh... You slow anything down and it looks like a death glare

I'm not so sure it was innocent and just a conversation, but I'm also not thinking it was so confrontational. Probably somewhere in the middle. 

Payton could use this kind of behavior from a few of his players... the guy is clueless and maybe he eats his slice of humble pie. Probably not though

In hindsight: I bet AP wishes he has waited for an injury like in Baltimore or Arizona and then went to a club where more volume was available. I believe in his mind though that he figured wherever he went he would take over the ground game.

In hindsight: I bet AP wishes he has waited for an injury like in Baltimore or Arizona and then went to a club where more volume was available. I believe in his mind though that he figured wherever he went he would take over the ground game.
If we can see the poor fit here I'm sure ADP and his agent did too. It likely speaks to a pretty soft market in the off season for his services. If you wait and the phone doesn't ring after a few key injuries, you are effectively out of football...

When he did touch the ball he seemed to still be the same violent runner. I think he will have some effective moments during the season but will also have a lot of times when he isn't worth playing. I wouldn't add unless it was big rosters.

I cut him from one team this week.  I wanted that temptation of "maybe this is the week he'll have a good game, so I should start him" out of my brain.  Old RBs be gone!

Users who are viewing this thread