What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (3 Viewers)

OLines account for most RB success or failure...

Injuries absolutely ravaged the Redskins offensive line in 2017, but this was one of the best lines in the NFL prior to last year. The two names to watch here are center Chase Roullier and right tackle Morgan Moses. Roullier was one of our favorite sleepers in the 2017 draft out of Wyoming yet only earned a 56.0 overall grade as a rookie in 457 snaps. Moses on the other hand had established himself as one of the best right tackles in the game before taking a step back with a 70.5 overall grade last season. They’ll need both at their best to crack the top 10 this year.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2018

At some point, it seemed like Washington was signing players off the street to fill in as a spot starter for stretches of last season. Two of the team’s top linemen, left tackle Trent Williams and right guard Brandon Scherff both missed time last year, and their backups did no favors for the skill players playing behind them. That’s not to say Samaje Perine wasn’t great, but an offensive line that ranked 27th in Football Outsiders Power Success metric certainly didn’t help. A healthy offensive line should bring improvement across the board in Washington for their skill players. If the combination of Scherff, Chase Roullier at center, and Shawn Lauvao at left guard can execute in the middle, Washington should have a running game that is at least in the middle of the road even without rookie Derrius Guice.

https://www.rotoballer.com/offensive-line-power-rankings-tiers-and-analysis/536841?src=jq_tabs_sb

carpe diem AD

Chris Thompson is the RB to own on that offense right now IMO
Yeah sounds about right for PPR   To tell the truth Id kind of like to see em swallow their pride and bring Matt Jones back after hes cut no less for fumble issues  Think it would help keep AD fresh for the whole Season  I mean Jones almost has to be bound to stop fumbling and he's not a terrible back too (imo)  I mean there is no telling when CT is back at 100%

Yeah sounds about right for PPR   To tell the truth Id kind of like to see em swallow their pride and bring Matt Jones back after hes cut no less for fumble issues  Think it would help keep AD fresh for the whole Season  I mean Jones almost has to be bound to stop fumbling and he's not a terrible back too (imo)  I mean there is no telling when CT is back at 100%
Why is Matt Jones better than Perine or Kelley? It's not like Jones was good. 

Yeah, it was a PPR comment 

1. Matt Jones is soft and not well-liked by the coaching staff, he was a big McCloughan whiff that they have no ties to now. He'd be a big step backwards.

2. Why on earth would you say he "almost has to be bound to stop fumbling" after acknowledging he's just been cut from his third team for fumbling? 

Why is Matt Jones better than Perine or Kelley? It's not like Jones was good. 
I guess you are saying he isn't  Odds are you are correct  My feelings is just that I believe AD needs a back to take solid reps  I also feel it only matters IF there is a Playoff push  Vets can break down w a long Season  But yeah no shade on Thompson because I wasn't so sure he wouldn't take some from Guice, to be honest

Snagged Peterson late and very happy about it.  They have a lot of nothing on the roster and AP has the opportunity to step right in.  He gets one start and looked better than any of the backs all preseason with a day or so of preparation.  I don't think AP will end up being a stud but he's got the pedigree, the opportunity and a fantastic price.  Could end up being a nice trade chip a couple weeks in.  I expect that his ADP will rise considerably from here until the season starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you are saying he isn't  Odds are you are correct  My feelings is just that I believe AD needs a back to take solid reps  I also feel it only matters IF there is a Playoff push  Vets can break down w a long Season  But yeah no shade on Thompson because I wasn't so sure he wouldn't take some from Guice, to be honest
I never saw anything good about Jones. He was a JAG with fumbling issues. 

I think the Peterson case is very clear:

1. He's a shell of his former self. He is not an explosive game breaker anymore.

2. He still might be better than Kelley and Perine. Those two guys have no juice. 

3. Peterson is still capable of grinding out 25 carries in a game. 

It's worth a late round flyer. He isn't likely to be a regular starter but he might be able to give you some early spot starts for people who went zero RB, drafted Ingram or experience an injury to a RB early in the year. 

I think the Peterson case is very clear:

1. He's a shell of his former self. He is not an explosive game breaker anymore.

2. He still might be better than Kelley and Perine. Those two guys have no juice. 

3. Peterson is still capable of grinding out 25 carries in a game. 

It's worth a late round flyer. He isn't likely to be a regular starter but he might be able to give you some early spot starts for people who went zero RB, drafted Ingram or experience an injury to a RB early in the year. 
agreed...and for someone who has a roster with several upside RBs where it may take a few weeks to see if they are going to hit or not you can plug AP in for a few weeks...if a couple of those upside RBs hit you can deal AP to a desperate owner who needs a RB/bye week needs/got hit with injury bug.

You guys are nuts. Hes easily worth a 10th+ round pick.
I took him at 15.11 in my IDP as my RB5 “trade bait/take a shot for depth” player. Probably equivalent to ~round 11 in standard formats. Yeah, I think he was worth it. I’d already built most of my roster - had a QB, 4 RB, 4 WR & a TE (plus 4 IDP guys) so I felt very comfortable with it.

and he looked damn good. He didn’t look like the AP of old, he kinda looked like an old AP....but he did look like an NFL RB. He moved the pile & had some nice burst. He’s patient & can read an OL. 

Will he play 16? Dunno. Will he be productive playing as many as he plays getting ~15 touches a game? I think he will. He sure looked that way anyway. 

Go AP, go. That’s a really cheap starting RB/flex player if you have the depth and a deep bench. 

Banger said:
agreed...and for someone who has a roster with several upside RBs where it may take a few weeks to see if they are going to hit or not you can plug AP in for a few weeks...if a couple of those upside RBs hit you can deal AP to a desperate owner who needs a RB/bye week needs/got hit with injury bug.
Exactly. And if it’s you that gets hit with the bug, breathe a little easier for the depth. 

To all those that end up with ADP, good luck. I hope things work out. (Not trolling here or being snarky.) But there really is some head scratching rhetoric involving him, not just in this thread but in articles and fantasy sites all over the net.

For starters, I have heard / read that WAS has a great OL on a team that can open up holes and has a power running game. In the Jay Gruden era:

2017 WAS 24th in rushing attempts, 27th in rushing yards, 21st in rushing TD, 30th in ypc
2016 WAS 27th in rushing attempts, 21st in rushing yards, 6th in rushing TD, 9th in ypc
2015 WAS 14th in rushing attempts, 20th in rushing yards, 20th in rushing TD, 30th in ypc
2014 WAS 21th in rushing attempts, 19th in rushing yards, 9th in rushing TD, 14th in ypc

ADP compared to other RBs on his team:

2017 NOS - Kamara 6.1 ypc, Ingram 4.9 ypc, ADP 3.0 ypc
2017 ARI  -  David Johnson (2016) 4.2 ypc, Kerwenn Williams 3.6 ypc, ADP 3.5 ypc
2016 MIN - McKinnon 3.4 ypc, Asiata 3.3 ypc, ADP 1.9 ypc

Looking at WAS last season:

2017 WAS Chris Thompson 4.6 ypc, Samaje Perine 3.4 ypc, Robert Kelley 3.1 ypc

So the narrative is that a 33 year old Peterson, on his 4th team in 3 seasons, after nearly 3,000 career touches (rushes, receptions, kick returns, regular season and post season), with a 2.99 ypc over the past 2 seasons is going to do what exactly? He's going to a team that has been close to the Bottom 10 in rushing attempts every season with Gruden, has been Bottom 3 in ypc in 2 of the past 3 seasons, has also been close to the Bottom 5-10 in rushing yards each season.

Sure, Peterson looked good in limited action in one preseason game. But the hype over ADP has gotten way out of control.  Evan Silva from Rotoworld, who I generally follow and respect, has Peterson ranked 77th overall in a 0.5 PPR scoring system.

Maybe I am missing out, but frankly I just don't see in Peterson what others do, Maybe he's worth a late round lottery stash as someone you could easily drop for a waiver wire claim. But he is getting drafted now in rounds where there are legit fantasy contributors so the premise of him being a late round flyer has all gone out the window.

To all those that end up with ADP, good luck. I hope things work out. (Not trolling here or being snarky.) But there really is some head scratching rhetoric involving him, not just in this thread but in articles and fantasy sites all over the net.

For starters, I have heard / read that WAS has a great OL on a team that can open up holes and has a power running game. In the Jay Gruden era:

2017 WAS 24th in rushing attempts, 27th in rushing yards, 21st in rushing TD, 30th in ypc
2016 WAS 27th in rushing attempts, 21st in rushing yards, 6th in rushing TD, 9th in ypc
2015 WAS 14th in rushing attempts, 20th in rushing yards, 20th in rushing TD, 30th in ypc
2014 WAS 21th in rushing attempts, 19th in rushing yards, 9th in rushing TD, 14th in ypc

2017 ARI  -  David Johnson (2016) 4.2 ypc, Kerwenn Williams 3.6 ypc, ADP 3.5 ypc

2017 WAS Chris Thompson 4.6 ypc, Samaje Perine 3.4 ypc, Robert Kelley 3.1 ypc

So the narrative is that a 33 year old Peterson, on his 4th team in 3 seasons, after nearly 3,000 career touches (rushes, receptions, kick returns, regular season and post season), with a 2.99 ypc over the past 2 seasons is going to do what exactly? He's going to a team that has been close to the Bottom 10 in rushing attempts every season with Gruden, has been Bottom 3 in ypc in 2 of the past 3 seasons, has also been close to the Bottom 5-10 in rushing yards each season.

Sure, Peterson looked good in limited action in one preseason game. But the hype over ADP has gotten way out of control.  Evan Silva from Rotoworld, who I generally follow and respect, has Peterson ranked 77th overall in a 0.5 PPR scoring system.

Maybe I am missing out, but frankly I just don't see in Peterson what others do, Maybe he's worth a late round lottery stash as someone you could easily drop for a waiver wire claim. But he is getting drafted now in rounds where there are legit fantasy contributors so the premise of him being a late round flyer has all gone out the window.
Redskins line was banged up last season. Peterson is the type of RB who needs 15+ touches to be successful so comparing him to other saints RBs seems kinda silly. Peterson looked good on Arizona until there starting QB was injured. Pretty easy to see him being successful on a much improved team and oline. Your loss my dude.

Not on the ADP train but almost no unit was more injured than WAS's OL last year and the majority of RBs who've aided WAS in their less than stellar rush ranks over the past several seasons have been terrible. Kelley is hands down one of worst "starting" RBs in the league. Matt Jones is terrible. Morris was looking washed the year before he left WAS.

If Guice's knee was still intact I think WAS's rushing stats from the previous years would've proven to be less relevant.

Not on the ADP train but almost no unit was more injured than WAS's OL last year and the majority of RBs who've aided WAS in their less than stellar rush ranks over the past several seasons have been terrible. Kelley is hands down one of worst "starting" RBs in the league. Matt Jones is terrible. Morris was looking washed the year before he left WAS.

If Guice's knee was still intact I think WAS's rushing stats from the previous years would've proven to be less relevant.
Obviously there are multiple issues going on in terms of how to review and assess things including coaching predilections, OL injuries, personnel, etc. I doubt you would get much argument from people that Guice, if healthy, has younger legs and more giddy up at this stage than Peterson does at 33.

As for comments a few posts earlier about Peterson doing well with 15 touches a game. Well, yeah, any RB that gets 15 touches a game is going to have fantasy value based on workload.

Since December 2015, Peterson has has 14 games with at least 12 touches.In those games, he posted 269-886-3.29 ypc-6 rushing and 19-113-0 receiving. On average, that worked out to 20.5 touches a game in those games. If Peterson only can muster a 3.29 ypc average, I doubt he would see 269 carries.

Best I can offer is let's wait and see how things turn out.

2017 WAS Chris Thompson 4.6 ypc, Samaje Perine 3.4 ypc, Robert Kelley 3.1 you 

Besides the fact that the OL was a shambles from injury as others have mentioned, please do list the star RBs who were responsible for those stellar performance numbers you listed? 

Rob Kelly? Samajen Perine?  Chris Thompson arguably the best of the bunch, but he made his bones as a receiver, a role he’ll likely retain. 

If you saw him the other day, he looked better than any of the scrubs in WA. The only knock on Peterson right now is that he’s a 2-down back. 

He’ll need luck to stay healthy, but I wouldn’t be so quick to bet against him. Dude is in phenomenal shape & IMO he’s hungry to go out on a better note than last year’s embarrassing fiasco. 

Peterson only had 37 carries in 2016--19 coming from Shaun Hill and the rest from newly acquired Sam Bradford.

He was an awful fit for the Saints offense.

He had nowhere to run as soon as Carson Palmer went down in AZ. He looked good in his one full game with a competent QB. 

montana_grizzly_bears said:
Gore is at #5 with 14k. Though Peterson is 2k behind him. 
This is another example of how worthless yardage is as a measure of RB.

A bunch of decent/better than average RBs like Emmitt/Martin/Gore/Dorsett alongside the greats.

This is another example of how worthless yardage is as a measure of RB.

A bunch of decent/better than average RBs like Emmitt/Martin/Gore/Dorsett alongside the greats.
Ok, so here’s the deal...I agree with you about yardage being a weak measure of ability, and in general as “compiler” as a criticism of players with longevity. 

Tim Brown is in the HOF, and IMO he’s a serous compiler. He played forever & accumulated numbers. 

I love Tim Brown, but he’s borderline HOF, IMO. I consider HOF WRs as players who dominated their competition. 

Emmitt Smith is always going to be a point of contention for those who would argue that his OL was so dominant that anyone could have done what he did. I’m not sure I completely agree with that, but he’s definitely a bit overrated. 

In his prime, Frank Gore was a dominant RB.  And moreover, he was a dominant RB in a mold that’s pretty rare. He was a power back who was quick, shifty & elusive, and always, always got more than his often sub-par OLs gave him. He was also fast in the open field, and had soft hands as a capable receiver. He is not what he once was, but he was a trrrific running back who could get you the tough yards you needed when the league hit a lot harder than it does now. 

That he was able to do so after surgeries on both knees & both shoulders & will have the longevity he’s had is nothing short of remarkable. 

Not sure he’s a HOFer, but he was a damn good RB. I’m a fan.

but to your comment specifically, just because someone is a compiler like AP or Gore, it doesn’t mean they don’t *also* belong in elite company.  

I believe Gore, in his prime; belongs in the elite company on just about any list he’s on. 

Ok, so here’s the deal...I agree with you about yardage being a weak measure of ability, and in general as “compiler” as a criticism of players with longevity. 

Tim Brown is in the HOF, and IMO he’s a serous compiler. He played forever & accumulated numbers. 

I love Tim Brown, but he’s borderline HOF, IMO. I consider HOF WRs as players who dominated their competition. 

Emmitt Smith is always going to be a point of contention for those who would argue that his OL was so dominant that anyone could have done what he did. I’m not sure I completely agree with that, but he’s definitely a bit overrated. 

In his prime, Frank Gore was a dominant RB.  And moreover, he was a dominant RB in a mold that’s pretty rare. He was a power back who was quick, shifty & elusive, and always, always got more than his often sub-par OLs gave him. He was also fast in the open field, and had soft hands as a capable receiver. He is not what he once was, but he was a trrrific running back who could get you the tough yards you needed when the league hit a lot harder than it does now. 

That he was able to do so after surgeries on both knees & both shoulders & will have the longevity he’s had is nothing short of remarkable. 

Not sure he’s a HOFer, but he was a damn good RB. I’m a fan.

but to your comment specifically, just because someone is a compiler like AP or Gore, it doesn’t mean they don’t *also* belong in elite company.  

I believe Gore, in his prime; belongs in the elite company on just about any list he’s on. 
Briefly dominant RBs that became compilers are all over the place on that list.  Steven Jackson, Edge, Taylor, Bettis, Gore, Martin, Allen (was he ever dominant), Dillon, Dorsett... I can't comment on the older RBs than that.

eta - give me any and every guy on that list that played 10 years or less.

Briefly dominant RBs that became compilers are all over the place on that list.  Steven Jackson, Edge, Taylor, Bettis, Gore, Martin, Allen (was he ever dominant), Dillon, Dorsett... I can't comment on the older RBs than that.

eta - give me any and every guy on that list that played 10 years or less.
1. How do you define “briefly”? 

2. At what point is “durability” recognized as a skill?  If Fred Taylor is gonna get knocked for missing so many games, doesn’t it stand to reason that part of Gore’s greatness is his ability to suit up & perform week in, week out, year in, year out? 

Who thought Gore would have this sort of longevity coming out of college? I sure didn’t. 

Marcus Allen had three 1,000 yard seasons from 1983-1985. He had 1014, 1168 and 1759 yards those three seasons, respectively. He played 11 more seasons and never cracked 900 yards in another season in his career. He played 15 seasons. He cracked 1000 yards in three of them, but only really dominated in one season. Sorry, but that's an accumulator with one really great season. That's one year of dominance and 14 years of stats pretty similar to Blount. 

Marcus Allen had three 1,000 yard seasons from 1983-1985. He had 1014, 1168 and 1759 yards those three seasons, respectively. He played 11 more seasons and never cracked 900 yards in another season in his career. He played 15 seasons. He cracked 1000 yards in three of them, but only really dominated in one season. Sorry, but that's an accumulator with one really great season. That's one year of dominance and 14 years of stats pretty similar to Blount. 
Exactly.. all kinds of these decent/good (but not great) RBs up there on that list with the true greats.

When using career yards it waters down the greatness of the Walter/Barry/Marshal/Brown's.  If AP hangs around for the purpose of putting up a few more 500 yard seasons, it would water down his as well imo.

Certainly if you're willing to ignore Allen's receiving yardage, his numbers aren't great. But only a fisherman would do that.

Allen was #2 in the league in yards from scrimmage from 1982-1985, behind Walter Payton by less than 100 yards, and 1000 yards ahead of Tony Dorsett and Eric Dickerson over that time span. His 58 TDs was by far #1 in the league over that time span, 9 ahead of #2 John Riggins, and 27 ahead of Dorsett and Payton. There is no question that he was a dominant RB in the league in that four-year time span.

Then, from age 33+, he accumulated 47 additional TDs, #2 all time to Riggins among older RBs, and 22 ahead of #3 on the list (John Henry Johnson). Emmitt had 16. He also put up almost 5000 yards from scrimmage after age 33, by far #1 among RBs. (Emmitt had 2469). 

Certainly if you're willing to ignore Allen's receiving yardage, his numbers aren't great. But only a fisherman would do that.

Allen was #2 in the league in yards from scrimmage from 1982-1985, behind Walter Payton by less than 100 yards, and 1000 yards ahead of Tony Dorsett and Eric Dickerson over that time span. His 58 TDs was by far #1 in the league over that time span, 9 ahead of #2 John Riggins, and 27 ahead of Dorsett and Payton. There is no question that he was a dominant RB in the league in that four-year time span.

Then, from age 33+, he accumulated 47 additional TDs, #2 all time to Riggins among older RBs, and 22 ahead of #3 on the list (John Henry Johnson). Emmitt had 16. He also put up almost 5000 yards from scrimmage after age 33, by far #1 among RBs. (Emmitt had 2469). 
Also add in the fact the Al Davis held him hostage for several years after contract negotiations didn’t go Davis’ way. 

I acknowledged he had a great run from 83-85. I should've said 82.5-85. He only played 9 games in 82.

47 additional TD's after 33 years? He hung on, got a ton of goal line work along the way. To put him ahead of the rest of the RB's in the league who played beyond 33  is impressive in that he played beyond that and so few do, but it's not like he was dominating the league. He was compiling after a really great run at the beginning of his career. 

Back on topic:  I'm a huge fan of AP but in PPR he is going to be TD dependant IMO.  He won't catch a lot of passes w/ C. Thompson around, thus you are looking at 5 to 9 pts per week(50-90 yrds rushing)  a lot of weeks.   how many I don't know, maybe 1/2 of the first 14 weeks if he stays healthy .   I like AP maybe in the 9th or 10th rd. of a 12 team  PPR redraft.  Sound reasonable or am I reaching too late?

I acknowledged he had a great run from 83-85. I should've said 82.5-85. He only played 9 games in 82.

47 additional TD's after 33 years? He hung on, got a ton of goal line work along the way. To put him ahead of the rest of the RB's in the league who played beyond 33  is impressive in that he played beyond that and so few do, but it's not like he was dominating the league. He was compiling after a really great run at the beginning of his career. 
1982 was a strike year. Allen led the league in rushing TDs, RRTD, and yards from scrimmage that year and was an All-Pro. 

Anyone who scored 27 more TDs than Walter Payton (during his Super Bowl run) and Tony Dorsett over a 4-year span was dominant. Period. 

From 1993-1997, Allen was #4 in the league in TDs. While aged 33-37. He scored more than Marcus Faulk, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas. Only Emmitt, Barry, and Ricky Watters were ahead of him. That's not compilation; that is a historic performance by an older RB.

Oh, that's right. I discounted his numbers in 1982 because 600 yards rushing seemed weak. 600 yards rushing and 400 receiving in 9 games is a nice stat line. Strike shortened or not. 
What an odd season that was. Allen was on pace for 1952 YFS and 25 total TD and led the league in total points scored onthe season. Dan Fouts was on pace for 5125 passing yards. Wes Chandler was producing at a clip that would project out to 1835 receiving yards. And the league MVP was a place kicker . . . and he was only the second highest scoring kicker that year.

What an odd season that was. Allen was on pace for 1952 YFS and 25 total TD and led the league in total points scored onthe season. Dan Fouts was on pace for 5125 passing yards. Wes Chandler was producing at a clip that would project out to 1835 receiving yards. And the league MVP was a place kicker . . . and he was only the second highest scoring kicker that year.
It was complete Anarchy!!

Users who are viewing this thread