What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (4 Viewers)

I have a killer decision this week. Going back and forth all night choosing two out of:

Gurley, Mack, Kerryon and Shady. Shady is 4th on my list however. 

I don't know what to do with him a this point. When Williams gets back, all four RB's may get carries. Think this is headed for a mess to try and figure out. 

LeSean McCoy (ankle) was limited at practice Wednesday.

Kansas City's offense experienced a cosmic shift at practice Wednesday as both Damien Williams (knee, full) and Tyreek Hill (shoulder, limited) got back in the fold with Shady. This is a fluid backfield that will ultimately stay a 50-50 timeshare, but Damien's participation likely puts him ahead of Darrel Williams, who's claimed RB15 status the past two games. Fantasy players should expect both Damien and McCoy to split carries, with Darrel sprinkled in during two-minute drills if all are available Sunday night.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 5:28 PM ET

What news have I missed on McCoy? Was there any explanation for him being active but not used?
He lost a pretty sloppy fumble. But that shouldn't have been enough to sideline him based on how ineffective Damian Williams was. 

If I had to guess, this is just going to be a really ugly backfield. Probably not a predictable top-20 RB in the bunch.

What news have I missed on McCoy? Was there any explanation for him being active but not used?
Damien Williams resumed his role as the starter and got the same 12 to 15 touches he's gotten since he became starter last year.

The chiefs didn't have many carries as a team because indy defended them well and mahomes was hurt, and the colts held the ball for 37:15 with a ball control game plan.  

Reid refuses to acknowledge who the better RB is on his team. And it may have cost him the game last night. 

Sure...Shady fumbled the ball.....after running 20 yards and almost breaking it for a TD. Stupid that he didn't get another touch after that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 5 snaps and utilization for KC RB

Damien Williams 35 snaps (56%) 9 rushing attempts 23 yards 4 targets 3 receptions 15 yards
LeSean McCoy 14 snaps (22%) 2 targets 2 receptions 23 yards 1 fumble lost
Darrell Williams 14 snaps (22%)

KC passed the ball 39 times and ran the ball 11 times not including the 3 Mahomes scrambles.

As Fred mentions the Colts controlled the TOP and Andy just forgot to run the ball.

Week 5 snaps and utilization for KC RB

Damien Williams 35 snaps (56%) 9 rushing attempts 23 yards 4 targets 3 receptions 15 yards
LeSean McCoy 14 snaps (22%) 2 targets 2 receptions 23 yards 1 fumble lost
Darrell Williams 14 snaps (22%)

KC passed the ball 39 times and ran the ball 11 times not including the 3 Mahomes scrambles.

As Fred mentions the Colts controlled the TOP and Andy just forgot to run the ball.
Reid is his own worst enemy many games.  

Some times.

I don't think it was working in this game anyways. They were trying to get a lead and didn't have the ball enough. Mahomes clearly hurt and not playing as well as he usually has.
Seems like taking the ball out of your injured QBs hands and running the ball more makes sense.  Reid seems unable to change direction with game plans.  There were no excuses not to run the ball this week.  The injured RB excuse was gone.

Glad to see Reid's poor decision making cost the Chiefs a win.   He still won't learn though since he hasn't learned after all these years.  

Damian Williams is a solid receiver and pass blocker but he is an awful runner. I think theyd be stupid to keep McCoy on the bench going forward. Mind boggling they didn't run more and he only got 13 snaps.

Should've given Darrel some carries to see if he could move the piles any better. OL wasn't doing Demian any favors, but dude wasn't pushing through the bodies either.

Unless McCoy re-aggravated his ankle, benching him for the fumble seemed excessive, especially with Demian looking pedestrian all night.

He lost a pretty sloppy fumble. But that shouldn't have been enough to sideline him based on how ineffective Damian Williams was. 

If I had to guess, this is just going to be a really ugly backfield. Probably not a predictable top-20 RB in the bunch.
It wasn't really sloppy, he had the ball high and tight. The defender made a great punch out play.

Seems like taking the ball out of your injured QBs hands and running the ball more makes sense.  Reid seems unable to change direction with game plans.  There were no excuses not to run the ball this week.  The injured RB excuse was gone.

Glad to see Reid's poor decision making cost the Chiefs a win.   He still won't learn though since he hasn't learned after all these years.  
Maybe they should have run the ball more. They were only down by 3 points until the Colts kicked another field goal.

The Cots were draining the clock though and playing good defense. I can understand Reid putting the game on his best player Mahomes.

We will never know though if KC running the ball more would have led to a better outcome.

The Colts defense was playing pretty well and I think their defense is better against the run than it is against the pass.

Maybe they should have run the ball more. They were only down by 3 points until the Colts kicked another field goal.

The Cots were draining the clock though and playing good defense. I can understand Reid putting the game on his best player Mahomes.

We will never know though if KC running the ball more would have led to a better outcome.

The Colts defense was playing pretty well and I think their defense is better against the run than it is against the pass.
I feel like we could've seen more of their patented sweeps, screens and shovel sweeps to manufacture some artificial "running" plays. The Chiefs didn't seem nearly as creative last night for some reason.

I feel like we could've seen more of their patented sweeps, screens and shovel sweeps to manufacture some artificial "running" plays. The Chiefs didn't seem nearly as creative last night for some reason.
I agree they did not seem as dynamic on offense as they have been recently.

Not sure if that is on Andy or it is just that Mahomes is hobbled and not playing as well as usual. Particularly later in the game after he got hit a bunch of times. Mahomes did make some wicked good throws earlier in the game.

Except for the TD the McCoy screen was also one of the best plays of the night for KC (except for the very end). But if teams are defending on the deep ball damnit punch them in the nose up front.

Except for the TD the McCoy screen was also one of the best plays of the night for KC (except for the very end). But if teams are defending on the deep ball damnit punch them in the nose up front.
Seems like common sense.   If teams are defending the pass and swarming your hobbled and prized QB, you run the ball.   And, McCoy has done pretty well running the ball since coming to KC.   I'm not budging.   Reid was out coached and will be out coached in NE should the Chiefs meet the Pats in the playoffs.  

Andy just being Andy.  Someone posted here or a similar thread that perhaps the loss would be the wakeup call for Andy to put and try to keep his most effective RBs on the field.  So far this year, that has been Shady and Darrel. 

What is Shady's value going forward?  Are the 3 backs still ranked Damien, Shady, Darrel?

I just got offered Diggs and McCoy for Kerryon and Desean Jackson.

If McCoy still solidly in the committee this may be something I want to do.

theToes said:
What is Shady's value going forward?  Are the 3 backs still ranked Damien, Shady, Darrel?

Don't do that.

theToes said:

I'm not a big Kerryon fan and think McCoy is far and away their best runner but I wouldn't do that. Andy seems like to like the Damien's receiving ability and tremendous 1.8 YPC he brings to the table even after missing multiple games. Despite Diggs complaints, MN would be dumb to go away from Cook/Mattison.

Jackson has played one full game this year (10 targets).......and better game than anything Diggs has put together over 5. Diggs has seen more than 4 targets in only 2 of 5 games.

And I was big on both Diggs and McCoy coming into the year. Hopeful their situations turn around but Kerryon has a solid every week role right now.

Payne said:
I can read an article. That doesn't change my opinion. I don't recall McCoy ever being accused of poor pass protection. 

Ketamine Dreams said:
Uh, just by his current coach - in that article. Carry on then.
Many of us were paying enough attention to have an opinion over whether his fumble was sloppy or not.  So far, no comments on if his missed assignment(s) were sloppy or not.  I don't recall seeing any, and was surprised to hear from Andy that reason to bench him.  I just watch as a fan.  Any of you analytics-types or game film reviewers catch something I missed?

Many of us were paying enough attention to have an opinion over whether his fumble was sloppy or not.  So far, no comments on if his missed assignment(s) were sloppy or not.  I don't recall seeing any, and was surprised to hear from Andy that reason to bench him.  I just watch as a fan.  Any of you analytics-types or game film reviewers catch something I missed?
I read the whole thing as Reid is trying to light a little fire under McCoy.   Fumble was a great play by the defense IMO.   I've read in here though that McCoy was holding it sloppy.  I don't agree but it is what it is.

I read the whole thing as Reid is trying to light a little fire under McCoy.   Fumble was a great play by the defense IMO.   I've read in here though that McCoy was holding it sloppy.  I don't agree but it is what it is.
Right on.  Everybody saw the fumble and had their take on it.  Other than Andy's comment, nobody seems to have seen the missed pass protection assignments.  I'll be starting McCoy in the flex again this weekend, hopefully you're right about a fire being lit!

McCoy has been a tough cookie to own.

I have 3 decent running backs in front of him so he’s been hard to start based on both gut and rankings, although at times he’s put up more points a few weeks than some of my backs.

But, he’s also been impossible to trade. Even for WR2.  

This last game doesn’t help that.  But I think everyone is having a tough time seeing starting RB value out of him.

McCoy has been a tough cookie to own.

I have 3 decent running backs in front of him so he’s been hard to start based on both gut and rankings, although at times he’s put up more points a few weeks than some of my backs.

But, he’s also been impossible to trade. Even for WR2.  

This last game doesn’t help that.  But I think everyone is having a tough time seeing starting RB value out of him.
I have both McCoy and Darrel W.  There was a sell-high window (perhaps packaged together?) after Week 4 that I think I could have taken advantage of.  I don't know now if I'm waiting for that window to open again and sell, or wait for Andy to come to his senses and ride this train till the wheels fall off. 

Users who are viewing this thread