What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 Waiver Wire Watch Thread (1 Viewer)

Englishteacher

Footballguy
Situations/players to keep an eye on today and players that are going off in Week 4. Of course, injuries may create the next big pickup as well.

Helps people in FCFS leagues especially.

GO!

Helpful Links:

Week 4 Waiver Wire Watch List: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715048

What Did We Learn in Week 3? : http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715170

Week 4 Injury Thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715719

Who Will Be the Next Hot RB Pickup? : http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=714628

Short Bench RB Discussion. Lots of peripheral RB links included: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715373

Who Will Be the Next Hot WR Pickup? : http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715287

TE Discussion: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=715700

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you guys in FCFS waivers jumped on Larry Donnell if he wasn't already owned.

For those of you in bid leagues, what percent of your budget do you aniticipate bidding?

NFL.com highlighted a story from Bill Obrien talk where he said they need to get DeAndre Hopkins the ball more. Will be interesting to watch this week.

NFL.Com Hopkins Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400251/article/deandre-hopkins-to-take-on-bigger-role-for-texans
If there is another Alshon Jeffery this year I think Hopkins is the front runner. He makes ridiculous catches. Unfortunately he most likely has never been on waivers at any point this year, let alone now.

NFL.com highlighted a story from Bill Obrien talk where he said they need to get DeAndre Hopkins the ball more. Will be interesting to watch this week.

NFL.Com Hopkins Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400251/article/deandre-hopkins-to-take-on-bigger-role-for-texans
If there is another Alshon Jeffery this year I think Hopkins is the front runner. He makes ridiculous catches. Unfortunately he most likely has never been on waivers at any point this year, let alone now.
My league starts 2 WR's. We have short benches. Most guys carry 4 WR's. Max is 5. Hopkins wasn't even drafted in my league.

Most rookie WR's are overvalued and when they don't put up 1,000 yards their first year, people don't think they're any good sophomore year. We're all guilty of it to some degree.

CBS has him at 92% owned and 57% started.

With Boykin hurting, Davante Adams is a sneaky start or FCFS in game pickup in smaller leagues. Of course, the Pack have to get something done on offense for their #3 WR to really stand a huge chance to go off.

Bears watching.

Players I have on my watch list that are available in my re-draft include:

Josh Brown

Marvin Jones

Antone Smith

Although the first two won't do much in Week 5 considering they're on a bye. ;)

Players I have on my watch list that are available in my re-draft include:

Josh Brown

Marvin Jones

Antone Smith

Although the first two won't do much in Week 5 considering they're on a bye. ;)
Here's the kicker -- Josh Brown isn't on bye until Week 8.

Englishteacher said:
Hope you guys in FCFS waivers jumped on Larry Donnell if he wasn't already owned.

For those of you in bid leagues, what percent of your budget do you aniticipate bidding?
If I was TE needy, I'd bid 50% of budget. Also noteworthy for Jimmy Graham owners, the Giants play Dallas during the Saints bye week.

Deeper ones at TE:

Brandon Bostick -- can't help myself; I keep getting sucked back in. Packers offense is struggling and they're getting next to nothing from TE, though Quarless did give them something last week. Still - Quarless isn't stretching the seam like Finley used to do or like Bostick can, and it's letting teams squeeze down in that cover 2. At some point Bostick's probably getting a shot. Could (should?) be this week.

Chase Ford -- may be the Norv Turner TE everyone thought they were getting with Rudolph, who I've never personally been that enthralled with. Ford played well down the stretch for Rudolph and Carlson last year and was promoted from the PS this week after Rudolph hit short term IR. Marqueis Gray is a FB/TE hybrid H-back type that stepped in last week but may not be the actual TE successor to Rudolph (Ford wasn't on the active roster, thus unavailable). Ellison is the blocking TE. Curious to see what Ford can do... we've seen TEs explode with 1) Norv Turner, and 2) rookie QBs. Ford gets both.

Chase Ford -- may be the Norv Turner TE everyone thought they were getting with Rudolph, who I've never personally been that enthralled with. Ford played well down the stretch for Rudolph and Carlson last year and was promoted from the PS this week after Rudolph hit short term IR. Marqueis Gray is a FB/TE hybrid H-back type that stepped in last week but may not be the actual TE successor to Rudolph (Ford wasn't on the active roster, thus unavailable). Ellison is the blocking TE. Curious to see what Ford can do... we've seen TEs explode with 1) Norv Turner, and 2) rookie QBs. Ford gets both.
This is the type of posting I like to see. I had added him to my watchlist, too. He's technically behind Gray, too, but Gray's 'unique skillset' doesn't really inspire much confidence.

I'm defintiely watching Chase Ford. Bridgewater needs a safety blanket TE to lean on and I don't think Ellison or Mar'Quis fit the bill.

I'm in deep leagues so my waiver watch list has to be a little more creative:

• (NYG) Odell Beckham, Jr. (offense is clicking now and he'd be a nice pre-emptive pickup)
  • (JAX) Denard Robinson (Gerhart is struggling and I think this becomes RBBC soon)
  • (FA) Benjarvis Green-Ellis (I'm betting someone picks him up soon)
  • (ATL) Devin Hester (It's hard to ignore his talent and the coaching staff says they want him more involved)
  • (DET) Alex Henery (picked up by DET and could be valuable with that offense)

Englishteacher said:

I bought Donnell with 17% of my FAAB two weeks ago and I wasn't the only 'serious' bidder.

I used a waiver claim on him in two Yahoo Pro leagues two weeks ago as well, to cover for Cameron's injury.

Of my 7 meaningful leagues he was owned in all 7 prior to last night's game.

Englishteacher said:

I bought Donnell with 17% of my FAAB two weeks ago and I wasn't the only 'serious' bidder.

I used a waiver claim on him in two Yahoo Pro leagues two weeks ago as well, to cover for Cameron's injury.

Before this week he was T6th in targets for TE and 8th in points. I am surprised he wasn't rostered in leagues regardless of roster size.

Was happy to have him behind Cameron Jordan in one league. Sorry to have him sitting behind Gronkk in another.

Englishteacher said:

In Week 2 he was added for $42 (of 1000) in my FFWC league and for $47 in my Rotobowl league on Wednesday

I added him later that week in a UPFFL league on fcfs waivers to play this week while Orange Julius was on vacay .... really should be trying to trade him now since there is no flex spot in that league

Englishteacher said:
BORTLES AND BRIDGEWATER?
I added Bortles this week for $11 (of 1000) and won a standings tie-breaker

Bridgewater also went for $11 (with $10 underbid)

Englishteacher said:

Before this week he was T6th in targets for TE and 8th in points. I am surprised he wasn't rostered in leagues regardless of roster size.

Was happy to have him behind Cameron Jordan in one league. Sorry to have him sitting behind Gronkk in another.
Might want to sell that. He's good but 3 TDs in a prime time game will have someone ready to overpay.

Sucks to cover for Cameron's injury I traded for Dennis Pitta after week 1 instead of just picking up Donnell.

Might want to sell that. He's good but 3 TDs in a prime time game will have someone ready to overpay.
Holding.

There aren't many TE's I want to start every week and it's not like you are going to have an easy time prying a top-3 selection away from somebody.

Isn't this pretty pointless to start prior to week 4 being played?? It's a week 4 waiver thread until Sunday afternoon...

Leonidas said:
VandyMan said:
Holding.

There aren't many TE's I want to start every week and it's not like you are going to have an easy time prying a top-3 selection away from somebody.
If "holding" means benching one of Gronk/Donnell every week, that seems like an inefficient use of resources. Seems like trading Donnell+[somePosition] to significantly upgrade [somePosition] would maximize value. Demand for Donnell is probably at or near its peak.

werdnoynek said:
Isn't this pretty pointless to start prior to week 4 being played?? It's a week 4 waiver thread until Sunday afternoon...
No. For anyone who has some roster flexibility or any "barely rosterable" players who are on a bye in week 5, they'd be smart to get a jump on week 5's likely WW darlings. I mean, grab the guy you want on Saturday or Sunday for free because waiting for Tuesday's waiver's means you might miss him due to waiver priority, might have to pay something for him (versus free now), etc. I think lots of people do this, especially with DST.

Leonidas said:
VandyMan said:
Holding.

If "holding" means benching one of Gronk/Donnell every week, that seems like an inefficient use of resources. Seems like trading Donnell+[somePosition] to significantly upgrade [somePosition] would maximize value. Demand for Donnell is probably at or near its peak.
I missed where this quote tree was talking about benching one or the other every week.

But yes, if you could only start one TE and had Gronk/Julius/Jimmy + Donnell and could trade Donnell + X to get X^2 I think that would be the wise move.

This is the type of posting I like to see. I had added him to my watchlist, too. He's technically behind Gray, too, but Gray's 'unique skillset' doesn't really inspire much confidence.
Ugh, TE desperate with a really shallow pool and grabbed Ellison thinking it was a shark move. Nice looking out but bums me I got what might be the wrong play.

Ugh, TE desperate with a really shallow pool and grabbed Ellison thinking it was a shark move. Nice looking out but bums me I got what might be the wrong play.
OTOH quien sabe? Ellison might score on a one yarder and have more points than Ford

OTOH quien sabe? Ellison might score on a one yarder and have more points than Ford
I needed a TE in one deep league and went with Clay Harbor of Jax over all the Minn guys.

Ingram is currently on waivers in my league. He's still 2 weeks + the bye week away yes? I think he's worth a stash at the expense of Terrance Williams since I'm pretty stocked at WR already. Thoughts?

I don't get it. Why would Ford be thought of highly then the guy that replaced him in Gray especially considering Norv worked with Gray last year in Cleveland? I think people are missing the boat

werdnoynek said:
No. For anyone who has some roster flexibility or any "barely rosterable" players who are on a bye in week 5, they'd be smart to get a jump on week 5's likely WW darlings. I mean, grab the guy you want on Saturday or Sunday for free because waiting for Tuesday's waiver's means you might miss him due to waiver priority, might have to pay something for him (versus free now), etc. I think lots of people do this, especially with DST.
THIS.

It's both.

Especially for FCFS waiver leagues.

My league, for example, is over 15 years old with small rosters and we've always been totally FCFS, even during games on Sunday. Makes paying attention on Sundays very important. There are lots of players available and you have to be on the cutting edge. Don't know if there are a lot of leagues out there like mine but it rewards actually watching football and staying informed.

werdnoynek said:
THIS.

It's both.

My league, for example, is over 15 years old with small rosters and we've always been totally FCFS, even during games on Sunday. Makes paying attention on Sundays very important. There are lots of players available and you have to be on the cutting edge. Don't know if there are a lot of leagues out there like mine but it rewards actually watching football and staying informed.
I don't think there are a lot like that and I personally refuse to set any up like that or join any that are like that, because I refuse to have zero opportunity to pick somebody up simply because I don't plan to spend ~17 hours a week every single week watching NFL games.

I can't get behind a league where you cannot pick up the valuable addition because you were outside playing with your daughter when somebody got injured and within 2 minutes the guy is gone

I don't get it. Why would Ford be thought of highly then the guy that replaced him in Gray especially considering Norv worked with Gray last year in Cleveland? I think people are missing the boat
Ford was hurt in the preseason - missed almost all of camp and ended up on the practice squad. Gray is more of an H-back hybrid type. Ford played well last year as a pure receiving TE.

Perhaps I am missing the boat on Gray, but my guess is he was more valuable from a ST/versatility standpoint than Ford, but when it comes to running Rudolph's routes and catching the ball, Ford is better. Guess we'll find out Sunday.

Ford was hurt in the preseason - missed almost all of camp and ended up on the practice squad. Gray is more of an H-back hybrid type. Ford played well last year as a pure receiving TE. Perhaps I am missing the boat on Gray, but my guess is he was more valuable from a ST/versatility standpoint than Ford, but when it comes to running Rudolph's routes and catching the ball, Ford is better. Guess we'll find out Sunday.
yeah, we will. Gates and Cameron made their hay flexed out. I would expect Gray to fulfill that role. I think goes a long way that Norv snatched him up after coaching him last year. Gray does have a lot of versatility and is a work in project as an in-line TE since he played a lot of QB/RB/WR in college and FB last year for Cleveland because they had Cameron. He was all over the place, but he should also be adept to playing slot and have a better understanding of the offense since he had a year in it.

werdnoynek said:
THIS.It's both.

I agree with Werd. Regardless of what type of league you are in, until it is officially week five, these pickup suggestions should be placed in the week 4 thread.

Leonidas said:
VandyMan said:
Holding.

There's a LOT more potential upside for Donnell demand. I don't see people overreacting too much yet and his demand will take another big step forward if he follows up this performance with 6+ catches and another TD next week.

werdnoynek said:
THIS.It's both.

I agree with Werd. Regardless of what type of league you are in, until it is officially week five, these pickup suggestions should be placed in the week 4 thread.
Post where you like.

I started both threads. And, the week has already begun with the Thursday night game.

:shrug:

Don't pay any attention, teach - I like it. Week 4 is now reactive while week 5 is proactive.

I got to think the two biggest names you should grab now are

Adams, WR, GB

Robinson, WR, GB

Those are the same names mention in week 4 thread but still have high availability.

Brandon Oliver, probably mentioned, but he could fit into the Woodhead role...Good desperation play against the Jags. Donald Brown almost got 40 touches last week, they have to spread the wealth a little. Could be a hot pickup next week.

Users who are viewing this thread