What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (2 Viewers)

Silly me...I knew I'd eventually get suckered in again.

There was several pages of dialogue with Philly fans once Cooper was traded. Most of them thought we gave way too much, but nobody got bent out of shape. I debated it & moved on.

Fast forward to the Tate trade & when I mention I like it, but have some concerns, it's a whole different ballgame. :)

A reasonable discussion with them simply can't be done. The Tate trade, like most other trades, have potential issues. Period. So does our trade.

Philly fans don't get to NOT recognize it because you're Philly fans. LOL.

Bottom line, the Eagles need to win the Super Bowl for that deal to pan out. Duh.

The Cowboys will be graded on the same curve, but with a longer window.
This is such a ridiculous opinion, and is indicative of why so many Eagle fans argue with what you say. It is not that we are that unreasonable, it is that you have ridiculous takes. I am sure that you will respond because you usually need to have the last word. I however, am done.

Sorry everyone for gumming up the Cooper thread with Eagle/Cowboy fan angst. I will stop now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to Cooper, I'm very leery of how much impact he can have right away.

It's very difficult for a new WR to join mid-season & be productive. I'd like to see some data on that. I'm sure it's been done before, though.

Early next season will be a much better indicator of how much impact Cooper will have long-term. Lots of dynamics there.

Some trades are done with an immediate championship in mind (like Tate), but with Cooper, the Cowboys have a longer window.

Ideally, I'd like to see Cooper do well this season & sign an extension. That would be a win-win. Dallas can franchise if they have to (if he's productive), but that's never the best course of action.

Very interesting trade. It's not typical for younger players with past production & without off the field issues to be on the block.

I love the trade as a fan.

Nobody cares about the Eagles. 

Personally, speaking about Cooper and the Dallas Cowboys and nothing to do with any other teams.....

I couldn’t be happier. Dak has never in his life played with a true number 1 receiver. It sounds like a big problem was the offensive line coach and he’s gone. 

Im looking forward to the second half of the season and what Cooper can do by the end of it. 

Fantasy related, I think it’s about a sideways move. It’s obvious the cowboys will be intent on giving him the ball, but until the Oline improves and Dak gets more comfortable (plays better,) it will take a few weeks to get consistentcy. 

Cooper is moving to what is on paper a below average offense from a disfictional offense. 
i don't think it is a sideways move, and if it is it won't be good for anybody (i'm coming in here as a Cooper owner in fantasy, not an Eagles' fan). Cooper's targets this season were as follows:

Rams - 3 targets, 1 catch

Denver - 10 targets, 10 catches

Miami - 5 targets, 2 catches

Cle - 11 targets, 8 catches

Chargers - 1 target, 1 catch

Seahawks - 1 target, 0 catches

I really hope he does better than that with targets. the variance is nutty, but I would imagine he would warrant 4-5 targets a game, at least. So as a Cooper fan, I am hoping this is a positive move for him

Who exactly are his best receivers? Asking for a friend.
Ha had this exact conversation a couple weeks ago. Yeah I would think Hurns & Gallup.

Hurns' catch rate is 46.4% and Gallup is 45.5.%

I'm sure you disagree with this. Beasley is 76.7%.... but I'm thinking he's running much closer, safer routes. I think a good QB can cure a poor catch rate, but hey you watch the Pokes, good luck I guess.

Ha had this exact conversation a couple weeks ago. Yeah I would think Hurns & Gallup.

Hurns' catch rate is 46.4% and Gallup is 45.5.%

I'm sure you disagree with this. Beasley is 76.7%.... but I'm thinking he's running much closer, safer routes. I think a good QB can cure a poor catch rate, but hey you watch the Pokes, good luck I guess.
Beasley is a great complimentary guy but your best receiver can’t be 5 foot-nuthin. 

Cooper can be Randy Moss but if the defense knows what rout he’s running which I suspect every defense does because our entire offense is predicated on what the defense gives you :rolleyes:

Cooper and the Cowboys need better coaching. 

It has amazed me how many folk have ignored or not bothered to look this stat up before discussing Cooper 
I mentioned that Cooper's lack of production this year is more Carr's fault since Cooper is not getting many targets in some games. 

But, Cooper has had hands issues in the past.  Is he over that?  I don't know and I doubt we know until about this time next season.  Cooper cannot be graded fairly this season stepping into a new O and a new QB.

But, Cooper has had hands issues in the past.  Is he over that?  I don't know and I doubt we know until about this time next season.  Cooper cannot be graded fairly this season stepping into a new O and a new QB.
Stats from this season seem to suggest he does not suffer from drops. I think he was playing hurt last season.

I expect him to get 7-8 targets each game. Why give up a first round pick for a decoy?

Admittedly a little biased as an owner but I am slightly optimistic.

Unless Dak has regressed to complete bum status (like Carr) I'm optimistic for Coop's resurgence in Dallas. 1. Jerruh will want to be proven right. 2. Their existing WRs suck other than Beasley who plays a very complimentary role. 3. They have an all-world running game. It's really the perfect recipe.

And I blame a good part of Coop's dropsies on Carr's laser beam throws. All of his WRs have had drop issues since he's come to Oakland. Lack of consistent touch on the ball is just one of Carr's many Jeff George qualities. 

Maybe Coop is a bum. Or maybe Oakland is just toxic. Or both. We'll see.

Unless Dak has regressed to complete bum status (like Carr) I'm optimistic for Coop's resurgence in Dallas. 1. Jerruh will want to be proven right. 2. Their existing WRs suck other than Beasley who plays a very complimentary role. 3. They have an all-world running game. It's really the perfect recipe.

And I blame a good part of Coop's dropsies on Carr's laser beam throws. All of his WRs have had drop issues since he's come to Oakland. Lack of consistent touch on the ball is just one of Carr's many Jeff George qualities. 

Maybe Coop is a bum. Or maybe Oakland is just toxic. Or both. We'll see.
good post.  it's a wait a see deal all the way.   I do see the Cowboys with a problem of timing & the QB getting rid of the ball on time.  A good WR is not going to help that-that takes a QB trusting his WRs.  IMO

Sheagles get golden taint for a 3rd......makes Jerrah givin up a first for Cooper seem like even more of a fleecing...

Rams - 3 targets, 1 catch

Denver - 10 targets, 10 catches

Miami - 5 targets, 2 catches

Cle - 11 targets, 8 catches

Chargers - 1 target, 1 catch

Seahawks - 1 target, 0 catches
This is bizarre. I realize that game plans differ but 10/10 and 11/8 indicate the guy should've been thrown the ball more than 3, 5, 1, and 1 times. 

LATEST NEWS

RECENT NEWS

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan said Amari Cooper will play a "significant amount" of snaps on Monday.

"We’re not really easing him in," Linehan continued. The Cowboys overpaid considerably for Cooper, so we wouldn't expect the team to just "ease him in", anyhow. It's still a question mark how much of an impact he'll make on a run-first offense that doesn't go downfield often. The Titans' underwhelming secondary will be a good first test to see how the Cowboys utilize Amari. Nov 2 - 2:32 PM

Source: David Helman on Twitter

Not starting him everywhere but most places and mainly due to bye weeks. If most of my lineups were fully intact I'd let him earn his way into my lineup but don't have that luxury.

I don't feel confident as it often takes WR's time and this is not a high octane passing offense  but seeing total ineptness of Raider WR's without him has started to reassure me a little. You could add the SEA game into this equation since he did not catch a pass and barely played but in the two full games they have played since he was traded the total WR's on the team have combined for 23 targets, 15 catches and 181 yards and this  against fairly weak defenses when the other teams put up 30+ which usually means you got to pass a lot.  Watching Raiders game last night and it was like a lot of their games this year, either get open in about 1.5-2 seconds or might as well quit your route.

As much as I’d lke to see Cooper blow up on MNF, Kupp is back and Funchess has a tasty matchup vs. the Bucs.  Would probably even start Sutton or TQS over him until he shows out.

Having Diggs being questionable I have Cooper as a replacement option but arguably behind Aaron Jones and David Moore for a flex start. 

I'd almost rather see how his participation in the Cowboys off looks even if it's the amount of targets (Not necessarily catches as that could be timing still being worked on with Dak) to see if he is an option going forward. 

If Diggs can't go, Cooper will be started to fill up my third WR spot.  I don't know which scenario makes me more uneasy, starting Diggs after he hadn't practiced all week or going with Cooper on his new run-first team.  

As much as I’d lke to see Cooper blow up on MNF, Kupp is back and Funchess has a tasty matchup vs. the Bucs.  Would probably even start Sutton or TQS over him until he shows out.
Ran out to a big lead, so I’m going with Cooper to cap off a big win over the defending league champion.  Sat Funchess.

So Amari can clearly still play--barely knows the playbook and is making plays. What is wrong with Oakland that they couldn't get more out of him?

Amari Cooper caught 5-of-8 targets for 58 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' 28-14, Week 9 loss to the Titans on Monday night.

His eight targets led the team as Cooper was making his Cowboys debut following his acquisition from the Raiders. He beat Malcolm Butler for a four-yard score in the first quarter. OC Scott Linehan was clearly trying to scheme him the ball early, but the offense went off the rails in the second half and didn't score after the break. Still, it's pretty clear the Cowboys plan to force the ball to Cooper, and Dak Prescott's one interception was a forced ball into double-coverage in the end zone to Cooper. Cooper will be a WR3 next week against the Eagles.

Nov 5 - 11:17 PM

Jon Gruden.

That's the answer you're looking for.
I'm leaning towards the guy chucking the rock in Oakland.

Crazy stat during the MNF game supporting the Cowboys need to trade for Cooper... DAL WRs avg 2.2 yds of separation... Amari Cooper avg 4.8 (maybe it was higher?) ranking 5th in the NFL.

Amazing the stuff they come up with,  but certainly supports Gruden's comments early in the season that Cooper was running open out there and the QB has to get the ball to him.

The Cooper trade was, is, & always will be a no-brainer on Dallas’ end.

It’s simply another piece of the puzzle & the Cowboys don’t have many more puzzle pieces to find.

One huge piece is the HC & the Clapper WILL be gone after this season. 

The Cooper trade was, is, & always will be a no-brainer on Dallas’ end.

It’s simply another piece of the puzzle & the Cowboys don’t have many more puzzle pieces to find.

One huge piece is the HC & the Clapper WILL be gone after this season. 
Interesting hot new take.  What was the point of re-posting this?

Interesting hot new take.  What was the point of re-posting this?
I'm not going to get suckered in again, LOL.

There are a TON of people who would've liked to have seen Cooper crash & burn. That said, he's not going to score a TD every week nor is he going to have a good game every week. The Cooper trade was more than just about this season.

I'm just talking football, but I don't understand why you would make a post about what I post. Seems kind of silly.

I'm not going to get suckered in again, LOL.

There are a TON of people who would've liked to have seen Cooper crash & burn. That said, he's not going to score a TD every week nor is he going to have a good game every week. The Copper trade was more than just about this season.

I'm just talking football, but I don't understand why you would make a post about what I post. Seems kind of silly.
Not trying to suck you in.  Just generally wondering why you came to the thread to type the exact same thing.  It's not a new take, why do you keep posting?  It's just a trend that doesn't make sense when we all know your thoughts on Cooper.

Anyways he had a good game. 

Not trying to suck you in.  Just generally wondering why you came to the thread to type the exact same thing.  It's not a new take, why do you keep posting?  It's just a trend that doesn't make sense when we all know your thoughts on Cooper.

Anyways he had a good game. 

Because I like to post.

And because he just had a good game.

Because I like to post.

And because he just had a good game.
We all know that. 

And the post didn't even reference that game.  It was just a re-hash of how good that trade was.

Also ironic that you said "this trade won't be  judged until next year"...  Yet one good game and you've instantly claimed that the trade "Was, Is, and Always will be a no brainer for Dallas". 

Your odd obsession to repeatedly defend the move is starting to make you sound like Colangelo's wife.

We all know that. 

And the post didn't even reference that game.  It was just a re-hash of how good that trade was.

Also ironic that you said "this trade won't be  judged until next year"...  Yet one good game and you've instantly claimed that the trade "Was, Is, and Always will be a no brainer for Dallas". 

Your odd obsession to repeatedly defend the move is starting to make you sound like Colangelo's wife.
LOL.

We have new data now (the game) so I posted. It's not rocket science.

And there's really no need for me to defend the trade. It is what it is.

Anyway, be aware I may post again after the next game (good or bad).

LOL.

We have new data now (the game) so I posted. It's not rocket science.

And there's really no need for me to defend the trade. It is what it is.

Anyway, be aware I may post again after the next game (good or bad).
What data from the game did you post?  None.

No need for you to defend the trade?  That was the whole point of your post.

Jesus man.  Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but it's really hard.  Still can't believe you're defending things after tonight. 

Gonna be a fun week.

What data from the game did you post?  None.

No need for you to defend the trade?  That was the whole point of your post.

Jesus man.  Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but it's really hard.  Still can't believe you're defending things after tonight. 

Gonna be a fun week.
The game was data.

I made a 3 line post essentially saying it doesn't matter what happens the trade will always be a no-brainer. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a quick opinion.

Anyway, how it's eventually graded is another story.

Getting back to Cooper, I liked how he ran his routes. LOTS of energy.

Whether Dak is the Cowboys long-term QB remains to be seen, but no doubt Cooper was a great addition.

Dallas gets the 5th year option & can play it by ear after 2019 if they have to.

Cowboys & Cooper talking extension.

This is exactly what I had hoped for as a fan. If things go well, get him locked up.

The longer Cooper is under contract & producing, the more you win the trade.

Cowboys & Cooper talking extension.

This is exactly what I had hoped for as a fan. If things go well, get him locked up.

The longer Cooper is under contract & producing, the more you win the trade.
...Unless the contract is an over pay and ends up restricting you from bringing in actual good players, like at qb

Dr. Dan said:
...Unless the contract is an over pay and ends up restricting you from bringing in actual good players, like at qb
Which it likely will be.  But they could give the guy 20mil/year and FBJ would run in here and boast how it was the best contract in nfl history for the cowboys.  Don't think I've ever seen such complete blind homerism in all my years following sports.

If only the team had a 1st rounder to spend on a QB next year.

Key point is Dallas is a VERY young team.

Long way to go here, boys.

I like that we're talking extension with Cooper.

Like I said, Cooper was another piece of the puzzle, but it'll take time to integrate him fully into the offense.

We don't even know who our new HC will be yet.

Which it likely will be.  But they could give the guy 20mil/year and FBJ would run in here and boast how it was the best contract in nfl history for the cowboys.  Don't think I've ever seen such complete blind homerism in all my years following sports.

If only the team had a 1st rounder to spend on a QB next year.
To just blindly agree with every single thing a franchise does is a bit ridiculous and makes it hard to carry a serious conversation. Sometimes I wonder if it's just trolling. But I imagine it's not. I like the discussion but it's difficult when the counter points aren't even considered

Speaking of  :homer: ... this kind of blind following reminds me of a Simpson's episode... 

"The leader is good, the leader is great..." 

"nana nana nana nana leader..." 

Just substitute Leader for Jerry Jones

I know that Cooper performed better this week than Antonio Brown did.

All that matters is how Cooper performs now that he is with the Cowboys, his tenure with the Raiders dont matter anymore. Different team, different, QB, different Coach, different owner and different philosophy. Nothing Cooper did with the Raiders matters in fantasy football right now, because so far since he has been a Cowboy he has been a Top 12 WR in my PPR and Standard leagues.

If we are going to unfairly hold Cooper to a higher standard because of his trade value in the NFL, I will hold him to the standard of one game so far, one out performing of the so called best WR in fantasy football. Since Cooper has played a game for the Cowboys he has been better than Brown. What more can you ask of Cooper?

Users who are viewing this thread