What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (1 Viewer)

You can't rely on Cooper as a lead WR.  He just disappears too much.  Now Prescott is banged up and didn't look good, but it's 4th down, you need a TD, your season is on the line.....and you're on the sidelines?  Come on.

Jerry Jones disappointed, as Cowboys no longer control destiny

Excerpt:

Elliott's absences in key moments wasn't the only strange substitution pattern. At key moments on the Cowboys' final two drives, leading receiver Amari Cooper was on the sideline. On the Cowboys' final play, a fourth-and-8 from the Eagles 23 when Prescott tried a throw to Michael Gallup in the end zone, Cooper and Randall Cobb, who had five catches for 73 yards, were not on the field.

"I don't have an answer for you," Prescott said when asked about why Cooper was out.

Cooper has been troubled by heel, quadriceps, ankle and knee injuries for parts of the season but was not on the injury report during the week of practice, and no announcements were made during the game about his health.

"I wasn't winded, no," said Cooper, who had 24 yards on four catches. "Some of the routes we have, a deep post or a go ball, and we usually rotate to keep our legs fresh and things like that."

Not much you can do with 2 targets. That was Jets, Rams and Pats. But 8vs Det for 30 yards and 14 tonight when your QB is busted. Dallas FO/Coaching needs their heads checked or they staying quiet on his injuries 

Last edited by a moderator:
Amari Cooper caught 4-of-12 targets for 24 yards in the Cowboys' Week 16 loss to the Eagles.

It was a nightmare effort for Cooper, who committed an awful third down drop and was in and out of the game on critical downs in the second half. He was never announced with an injury, but things did not appear right. Cooper has had knee issues for the better part of a month. He will try to bounce back in the Cowboys' must-win Week 17 game with the Redskins, a defense Cooper got for 4/44/1 back in Week 2.
His knee hasn't been healthy for weeks and Roto thinks something might be not right with him?

[Hill Jr.] the Cowboys limited Amari Cooper snaps in the 4th quarter against the Eagles because he wasn’t playing well, per sources. They are legitimately didn’t think having him in on 4th and 8 have them the best chance to win. If he is not hurt, this will be revisited in contract talks

https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/1209250527789359104?s=21

Cooper won't be back in Dallas if he still wants top WR money.   I don't think Jerry is that foolish. 
Exactly. I think he does. Who would blame him? 

Dallas is in a really tough situation. 

Need to commit top dollar to a QB in the top 50-25%

Already paying the highest paid rb

Cooper is a FA

Almost 20% of their cap is for 3 OL- and none of them are easily cut for cap space. 

They cant afford to pay everyone... it seems like a clear case of a team trying to win now, and failed, so now what do they do?

I can see them letting Cooper walk in favor of a guy like AJ Green or even Sanders... someone who might not require top dollar but can fill that #1 roll. 

Would be funny if Cooper signed with the Raiders

Funny thought but not going to happen.  The Raiders are in desperate need for a WR1 but they have to be pretty pleased that Cooper isn't on the roster.   Cooper is often injured and very inconsistent.   
Cooper turned the Cowboys around. He has been a top 10 WR since coming to the Cowboys. He has played all season injured.  No, he is not a Hall of Fame WR but he is damn good.  And it isn't clear if the problem is him or Dak.  Dak was horrible in that game.

People forget how bad the team was last year before he arrived and how they made the playoffs and beat Seattle where he was 7 for 106 yards.

He must be hurt. Otherwise he appears uninterested in going all-out in crucial situations for two teams, and apparently one team is his dream situation. One would do well to think really hard before signing this guy. His foot/ankle/knee problems or attitude problem make him a shaky investment. 

I would fire Garrett on his usage of AC alone. How do they move away from a dude who put up monster numbers early & often?  Yeah, he was banged up. He was banged up early in the season and scored 43 for me. That didn’t explain his 0-2 target weeks. Watching some of the game Sunday his stat line was bogus - sure he had a ton of “targets” but most of them were uncatchable with Dak under pressure.

if anything is to blame it’s probably OL more than Cooper’s injuries. Dak has had a lot less time in the pocket, and seems to have regressed as a decision maker. Maybe they wanted him to wait longer before he scrambled out? Whatever the case, he used to make Mahomes-like plays with his legs, rolling out & buying time for a WR to get open. This year he took an awful lot of hits/sacks & the results were mixed at best. usually poor. And downright disastrous at times. 

I’m not blaming AC for all of his struggles, but man was he frustrating to own this year. Especially since he had so many huge games only to entirely disappear. 

This is far from unique.  In fact it characterizes Cooper every single season of his career, and is why I dealt him away in the offseason.

I missed him putting up 40+, but didn’t miss the single digit games in the stretch run at all.
He was really consistent early on, but then, so was the entire Dallas offense. 

One of the talking heads - I think it was Irvin - said it was madness that Dallas refused to feature AC, and on critical drives tried to force the ball to guys like Cobb & their 4th or 5th options. 

They also rarely threw to AC on early downs. They’d wait until 3rd & long which allowed defenses to focus on Cooper every time. There was no mystery to the play-calling. 

just watching Dallas play that I can say that was true most of the time, and in games they did go to AC early & often he thrived. 1st down slants & crossing patterns he was wide open because defenses were keyed up on stopping Zeke.

Coaching change, be it Dallas or on another team will help AC IMO. Philly would be a great landing spot. They’re creative enough to keep AC involved on early downs. 

This is far from unique.  In fact it characterizes Cooper every single season of his career, and is why I dealt him away in the offseason.

I missed him putting up 40+, but didn’t miss the single digit games in the stretch run at all.
He is the modern day Chad Johnson. Said this ages ago. He will finish as a top 12 or 15 WR only due to a handful of amazing games. The rest are bench worthy

Cooper turned the Cowboys around. He has been a top 10 WR since coming to the Cowboys. He has played all season injured.  No, he is not a Hall of Fame WR but he is damn good.  And it isn't clear if the problem is him or Dak.  Dak was horrible in that game.

People forget how bad the team was last year before he arrived and how they made the playoffs and beat Seattle where he was 7 for 106 yards.
Cooper is talented, no doubt.   I was thrilled when he was drafted by a he Raiders but things didn't work out for unknown reasons.  Maybe his struggles in the last couple of weeks are due to injury.  Will be interesting to see what Dallas thinks of him.   

Cooper averaged only 1.67 fantasy points per game more than Gallup. 

One of those two you can get much later in your 2020 drafts, much cheaper in dynasty, and is more reliable on a week to week basis 

/public service announcement 

Wouldn’t touch him until I see where he lands and a step further how he performs there. Everyone is somewhat situation dependent but he’s on a whole other level than most “top” guys. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
He was really consistent early on, but then, so was the entire Dallas offense. 

One of the talking heads - I think it was Irvin - said it was madness that Dallas refused to feature AC, and on critical drives tried to force the ball to guys like Cobb & their 4th or 5th options. 

They also rarely threw to AC on early downs. They’d wait until 3rd & long which allowed defenses to focus on Cooper every time. There was no mystery to the play-calling. 

just watching Dallas play that I can say that was true most of the time, and in games they did go to AC early & often he thrived. 1st down slants & crossing patterns he was wide open because defenses were keyed up on stopping Zeke.

Coaching change, be it Dallas or on another team will help AC IMO. Philly would be a great landing spot. They’re creative enough to keep AC involved on early downs. 
Through the first 10 weeks this season he was consistent.

22.6, 14,4, 26.8, 9.8, 39.6, 1.3, 15.6, 18, 31.7

With the exception of week 6 he was consistent for 9 weeks.  

Obviously something happened after that and my guess is that the injury he was battling finally got the best of him.

Through the first 10 weeks this season he was consistent.

22.6, 14,4, 26.8, 9.8, 39.6, 1.3, 15.6, 18, 31.7

With the exception of week 6 he was consistent for 9 weeks.  

Obviously something happened after that and my guess is that the injury he was battling finally got the best of him.
That, and when he was finally over the injuries, the coaching staff didn’t go back to him at all. 

but yeah - parroting the “handful of good games no consistency” line clearly doesn’t look at his numbers this season. For 9 weeks he was as dependable as any other top 10 WR in the game. Anyone can get hurt - Tyreek Hill was more inconsistent & missed more time than Cooper and I don’t see people saying this about him. 

i prefer to look at the box scores & look deeper than my preconceived motions about him. But hey, that’s just me.  :shrug:

fruity pebbles said:
Wouldn’t touch him until I see where he lands and a step further how he performs there. Everyone is somewhat situation dependent but he’s on a whole other level than most “top” guys. 
That mentality is exactly why I got him as a 3.08 to pick this year. His production over the first nine weeks of the season is largely what got me to the championship game. Fortunately, my depth kept me in the running for the last five games but there’s no doubt I got a value on him in the third round. I could see him going at a similar ADP next year, where I will happily take him for the upside, depending on where he lands. If it’s somewhere like Philadelphia who will force-feed him the ball all game long and find creative ways to get him open, I’m definitely in.

I think it’s more dangerous to see where he goes next year, and watch him have that huge season consistently for 14-16 games that we know he’s capable of, and then spend the first or second round pick on him in 2021. That’s a much bigger investment obviously.

Which one? 

That and teams caught onto the Dallas scheme. Dak started off hot too and he ended the season with a fizzle. 

Dallas had every reason to feature him, including the very possibility that they paid a 1st round pick for a 1.5 year rental and that the coaches job could have depended on it, and they didn't. We can blame the injuries because that's all we can largely go off of, but IMO there seems to be more to it. 

He is a potential excellent sell this offseason. 

That and teams caught onto the Dallas scheme. Dak started off hot too and he ended the season with a fizzle. 

i’m actually with you on this one, but you can hardly blame Amari Cooper for Dak Prescott‘s struggles. More like the other way around. Plus the offense of coordinator there’s quite a bit of that blame.

honestly, if somebody asked me what the Dallas Cowboys 2019 offensive identity was, I would struggle to answer. Seems like if they had just committed to being a run first play action passing team, they would’ve had much more success this year.

:shrug:

i’m actually with you on this one, but you can hardly blame Amari Cooper for Dak Prescott‘s struggles. More like the other way around. Plus the offense of coordinator there’s quite a bit of that blame.

honestly, if somebody asked me what the Dallas Cowboys 2019 offensive identity was, I would struggle to answer. Seems like if they had just committed to being a run first play action passing team, they would’ve had much more success this year.

It very well could have been Dak and the play calling. Dallas was a mystery this year. 

Playcalling is the single most underrated factor to the success of an offense. That conservative approach of not featuring Cooper on early downs really is pretty dumb. Assuming it's true. I've been blown away for years at how bad some coaches are. 

I can't figure what the heck Cooper's deal is. There is a good chance I'll never touch him again. I'm glad I only had him in one spot this year.

tyreek Hill was mentioned earlier, and not to derail the thread, but his stay within the top 12 was somewhat expected to be short lived when looking at my miss formula. not that I would have called Hill to have a horrible year, but the stats would have supported that claim

If I were Jerry Jones, I would fire the HC and OC.  Not sure if they should move on from Dak or not--I'm inclined to blame coaching and see if someone else can bring back the youthful Dak.  I would franchise Amari and see how he and Dak do in one more year with new coaching.

If I were Jerry Jones, I would fire the HC and OC.  Not sure if they should move on from Dak or not--I'm inclined to blame coaching and see if someone else can bring back the youthful Dak.  I would franchise Amari and see how he and Dak do in one more year with new coaching.
They might need to start over. Zeke limits their cap flexibility and they might be better off with a rookie qb contract while Zeke plays out his huge deal. I really dont think they can pay rb and qb and be more competitive than they were this year... Knowing Jerry... he will try

Gruden getting last laugh on Cooper trade

Excerpt:

1. Why else should Gruden be smiling, besides the victory over the Chargers?

Gruden took a lot of heat when he traded receiver Amari Cooper to the Cowboys for a first-round pick in the middle of the 2018 season, especially when Cooper posted 53 catches for 725 yards and six touchdowns to help Dallas to a division title and a playoff win.

Evidently Gruden didn’t think Cooper would be worth the franchise tag ($14 million this season) in 2019 and a contract extension in the upcoming offseason.

With this season ready to conclude and the Cowboys likely out of the postseason with a loss against the Eagles, Gruden looks like a genius.

With the season on the line, Cooper had just four catches and 24 yards on 12 targets and had a key drop. Even worse, Cooper (and Randall Cobb) were not on the field for Dallas’ last fourth-down attempt. Coach Jason Garrett said Cooper was not hurt, and Cooper said the coaches subbed him before the fourth-down play.

Sorry, something stinks here and it’s likely Cooper.

First of all, the two-minute warning happened two plays before Cooper was subbed out on fourth down, so fatigue should not have been an issue. Second, if you’re a competitor at all, you simply don’t come off the field with the season in the balance.

If Cooper was really pulled, it was likely for lack of effort because he didn’t fight for the ball on third down. In the loss to the Patriots, Cooper’s effort on some routes was highly questionable.

Good luck to the team that pays Cooper as a franchise receiver, when the evidence suggests he’s a frontrunner who lacks mental toughness.

Score one for Gruden.

Articles like that are awful. They mention Dallas not making the playoffs as reason that Gruden is a genius. Well, for one thing the Raiders aren’t either. Also Cooper has 450 more yards than the highest yardage WR on the Raiders. 

tyreek Hill was mentioned earlier, and not to derail the thread, but his stay within the top 12 was somewhat expected to be short lived when looking at my miss formula. not that I would have called Hill to have a horrible year, but the stats would have supported that claim
Omgggggg he got hurt. And his qb got hurt for a stretch. He is wr9 in points per game and that includes in his average the game he left in the first quarter with his injury. He is very very very much still a hit.

Articles like that are awful. They mention Dallas not making the playoffs as reason that Gruden is a genius. Well, for one thing the Raiders aren’t either. Also Cooper has 450 more yards than the highest yardage WR on the Raiders. 
I didnt get that from the article. I got that he identified Cooper as the kind of player being discussed the last several posts; a guy who doesn't always try and/or doesn't come through in big games/big plays. 

Dallas missing the playoffs only makes Dallas look foolish, not Grueden a genius. 

Yeah, that Gruden last laugh article is questionable at best. I took a much deeper dive above. Offensive play calling was abysmal. When you ONLY throw to Cooper on 3rd down, that’s what you get. 

for 9 games AC was a focal point. Many players lack intensity when the team gameplans away from them. A guy like Cooper will give it his all when he’s heavily involved. 

he was 15 in ppg for ppr
I don’t think that’s right. I’m seeing him at 16.2 points per game, wr10. Wr9 once you toss out DeSean and his 2 game sample. He was wr3 last year and wr8 the year before. He’s as much of a hit as a hit gets. I appreciate the information you provide in your formula. I think you possibly devalue it by saying something like that about Tyreek though. He is an exception to it and this year changed nothing about that.

I don’t think that’s right. I’m seeing him at 16.2 points per game, wr10. Wr9 once you toss out DeSean and his 2 game sample. He was wr3 last year and wr8 the year before. He’s as much of a hit as a hit gets.
maybe in total points, but not average

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/ppr-wr.php?year=2019

15.5 ppg in ppr

wr22 in 2018

wr 43 in 2017

not sure what your scoring system is, but in ppr those are his stats

People are willing to pay for a top 10 wr, but they are getting a strong wr2 at best in Cooper. That's why I say he could be a good sell

Your post linked me to the source I was using except it was showing total points. Click the avg button on the right. It will show the players from worst to last. Click it again to get from best to worst.
yes, and cooper isn't wr10. you're looking at the wrong Cooper....

and he ksnt 3 and 8 the two years prior... wr22 and wr43 in 2018 and 2017

I responded to your post about Tyreek Hill being expected to have a short stay in the top 12 based on your formula. That’s who I’ve been referencing 

This year in PPR he ended up WR10.  Last year WR22. 2017 WR42.  2016 he was WR8.  

So in four years he has been in the top 12 twice--a WR1.  A WR2 once. And 2017 was a disaster.

I wonder how many players over the past four years have peformed better? Maybe 5?

This year in PPR he ended up WR10.  Last year WR22. 2017 WR42.  2016 he was WR8.  

So in four years he has been in the top 12 twice--a WR1.  A WR2 once. And 2017 was a disaster.

I wonder how many players over the past four years have peformed better? Maybe 5?
PPG he did not finish as a wr1 within the last 3 seasons fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread