What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

Speaking Tuesday, Redskins coach Ron Rivera confirmed the team pursued then free agent Amari Cooper "all the way until the end." 

“We would’ve love to have him apart of what we’re trying to do here," Rivera said. "He would’ve been a great veteran presence." It is widely believed the Redskins offered Cooper more money than the Cowboys, but the veteran wideout made the prudent decision to avoid Washington's rebuild. 

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter 

Apr 7, 2020, 2:31 PM ET

He's solid, he'll be solid.  Good chance he'll finish as a high end WR2 or low end WR1.  The volume won't be insane, though.  Had 119 targets last year, and they add Lamb to the mix.  I don't know that he's going at a spot I want to own him in redraft. 

There are 18 players in the last 25 years who have performed as well or better in their first five years.

at least 5000 years receiving

350 receptions

30 receiving TDs

Torry Holt

Randy Moss

Julio JOnes

AJ Green

Mike Evans

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin JOhnson

DeAndre Hopkins

TY Hilton

Chad Johnson

Marvin Harrison

Michael Thomas

Odell Beckham

Dez Bryant

Demarius Thomas

Brandon Cooks

Marques Colston

Amari Cooper

Almost every player has had many years of top fantasy production.  I think people who are selling him short are missing the boat.

http://pfref.com/tiny/PxZia

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 18 players in the last 25 years who have performed as well or better in their first five years.

at least 5000 years receiving

350 receptions

30 receiving TDs

Torry Holt

Randy Moss

Julio JOnes

AJ Green

Mike Evans

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin JOhnson

DeAndre Hopkins

TY Hilton

Chad Johnson

Marvin Harrison

Michael Thomas

Odell Beckham

Dez Bryant

Demarius Thomas

Brandon Cooks

Marques Colston

Amari Cooper

Almost every player has had many years of top fantasy production.  I think people who are selling him short are missing the boat.

http://pfref.com/tiny/PxZia
I was super high on Amari coming out of college.  I love his talent.  Cowboys offense is good.  But Marvin Harrison, Michael Thomas, he is not.  

Dak threw it a career high 596 times last year.  Cooper got 119 targets out of that.  Right at a 20% target share.  His career high in targets is 132 during the 2016 season with Oakland.  The Dallas defense still isn't great, so Dak may throw it a lot again this year.  Or maybe the defense takes a step forward, and Dak throws it closer to 550 times.  Moreso they added a 1st round receiver who probably takes at least a part of the pie.  

I doubt that Cooper gives you a career high in targets after the addition of Lamb.   He also had a career high in ypc last season.  Does he build on that?  Or is he closer to a 13-14 guy that he's always been.  He's broken 80 catches once.  I don't see that happening a 2nd time after they added Lamb.  

I think you're looking at another 75 catch, 1100 yard, 8 TD season.  And that's hardly terrible.  I don't know that it's what I'm using my 3rd round pick on.  

I was super high on Amari coming out of college.  I love his talent.  Cowboys offense is good.  But Marvin Harrison, Michael Thomas, he is not.  

Dak threw it a career high 596 times last year.  Cooper got 119 targets out of that.  Right at a 20% target share.  His career high in targets is 132 during the 2016 season with Oakland.  The Dallas defense still isn't great, so Dak may throw it a lot again this year.  Or maybe the defense takes a step forward, and Dak throws it closer to 550 times.  Moreso they added a 1st round receiver who probably takes at least a part of the pie.  

I doubt that Cooper gives you a career high in targets after the addition of Lamb.   He also had a career high in ypc last season.  Does he build on that?  Or is he closer to a 13-14 guy that he's always been.  He's broken 80 catches once.  I don't see that happening a 2nd time after they added Lamb.  

I think you're looking at another 75 catch, 1100 yard, 8 TD season.  And that's hardly terrible.  I don't know that it's what I'm using my 3rd round pick on.  
I think your projection, which comes to 230 fantasy points, is pretty reasonable. I do see it more as a floor than a ceiling. It is true that Lamb may cut into his targets but they are also losing a ton of targets with the departure of Witten (84 targets) and Cobb(83). I don't see Jarwin getting as many targets as Witten.  And if Lamb is as good as people think, it may relieve some of the double teams on Amari and help him be more efficient.  I've also heard that Dallas may use Amari more in the slot in 2020 and that he has had the most success there, but that's yet to be seen. Final factor that could help 2020 Amari is that 2019 he played hurt most of the season--first it was plantar fasciatis and then a quad strain and then a knee. He played through the injuries but it seems clear that his play was affected. 

So I see 75/1100/8 as his floor, which isn't bad by any means (WR17) but I would see him doing more like 85/1250/8 (WR7).

I think your projection, which comes to 230 fantasy points, is pretty reasonable. I do see it more as a floor than a ceiling. It is true that Lamb may cut into his targets but they are also losing a ton of targets with the departure of Witten (84 targets) and Cobb(83). I don't see Jarwin getting as many targets as Witten.  And if Lamb is as good as people think, it may relieve some of the double teams on Amari and help him be more efficient.  I've also heard that Dallas may use Amari more in the slot in 2020 and that he has had the most success there, but that's yet to be seen. Final factor that could help 2020 Amari is that 2019 he played hurt most of the season--first it was plantar fasciatis and then a quad strain and then a knee. He played through the injuries but it seems clear that his play was affected. 

So I see 75/1100/8 as his floor, which isn't bad by any means (WR17) but I would see him doing more like 85/1250/8 (WR7).
I don't think your numbers are crazy by any means.  It's not a reach by any means.  

Last year, Dak had a career high in attempts and Cooper only had 119 targets and 79 catches.  Between Lamb and the possibility Dak throws it a bit less--I have a hard time seeing Cooper getting to a career high in catches or yards.  But you're talking 6 more catches than last year and another 4 yards a game.  So it's definitely doable.  

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper has either been limited or a non-participant for the team's last four practices.

That includes Thursday's session in which Cooper worked on resistance cords off to the side. Owner Jerry Jones said Cooper's limited participation has been for "preventative measures" but it's still something to monitor ahead of Week 1. He's fully expected to take the field in Dallas' uptempo season opener against the Rams.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Sep 3, 2020, 10:14 AM ET

FTR - Hes not hurt. They just noticed he had been really exerting himself by the gps/monitoring devices they have on all the players now and want to mitigate his risk. 

Consistency is overrated. 
This is actually very true. I used to think that was key but it’s overrated and shown to actually be worse. That being said, I think there are extremes where it does matter. If a wide receiver scores 40 points 3 weeks and 4 points the rest, that is a problem. 

Auction last night (in the Dallas area, so Cowboys players are well observed), CeeDee Lamb went for $2 more than Amari Cooper (and Gallup for about half of Cooper's price).

Granted, plenty of variables in an auction based on when players are nominated (CeeDee was earlier than Cooper so owners generally had more money to play with), but this is the direction the needle is pointing before the first snap. Right or wrong...

Captain Fantastic said:
Auction last night (in the Dallas area, so Cowboys players are well observed), CeeDee Lamb went for $2 more than Amari Cooper (and Gallup for about half of Cooper's price).

Granted, plenty of variables in an auction based on when players are nominated (CeeDee was earlier than Cooper so owners generally had more money to play with), but this is the direction the needle is pointing before the first snap. Right or wrong...
I like Gallup at that price.   Cooper should still receive most of the WR targets but that is a lot of mouths to feed.    

Amari Cooper (hamstring) is practicing in full for Week 1 against the Rams.

Cooper missed a bunch of time at practice leading up to this week, but he appears ready to roll for Sunday's night's potential shootout with the Rams. He's a WR1 for his date with Jalen Ramsey.

SOURCE: Jori Epstein on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

Cooper being dinged and matching up against Ramsey really makes me wanna sit him for Jarvis Landry. Gotta pick two between Coop, Landry, Golladay (now also hurt). 

Glad to be stressing over these things again, lol

Amari Cooper (hamstring) wasn’t listed on the Week 1 injury report.

The Cowboys managed Cooper’s camp reps but he didn’t miss any practice time this week. Coach Mike McCarthy said Cooper will play at “full capacity.” Cooper is likely to see a lot of Jalen Ramsey in Week 1.

Sep 12, 2020, 10:20 AM ET

Amari Cooper caught 10-of-14 targets for 81 yards in Week 1 against the Rams.

The yards and targets were both team highs. Cooper was quiet most of the night before Dak Prescott locked on him for the final drive. It could have been worse with Cooper matchup up with Jalen Ramsey in coverage. There's a lot of receivers to feed in Dallas, but Cooper is the clear No. 1 option. Cooper is one of the top receiver plays for a Week 2 matchup with the Falcons.

- Rotoworld

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (ankle) was limited in Thursday's practice. 

The officials Cowboys injury report says Cooper has an ankle injury while beat writers are calling it a foot issue. Either way, it's not ideal when a player pops up on a late-week injury report. We'll monitor Cooper's status in the lead up to a prime matchup with an Atlanta secondary that was scorched last week by Russell Wilson. 

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter 

Sep 17, 2020, 5:02 PM ET

Amari Cooper (ankle) is expected to play in Week 2 against the Falcons.

Coach Mike McCarthy said he "doesn't foresee a setback" with Cooper. Cooper was part of the Cowboys' walkthrough on Friday and looks healthy despite his late addition to the injury report. Cooper has potential for a big game in a matchup with rookie A.J. Terrell. The Falcons allowed 322 pass yards and four touchdowns to the Seahawks in Week 1.

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News

Sep 18, 2020, 12:07 PM ET

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (foot) said he'll play Sunday against the Falcons. 

Cooper described his injury as a bruised foot he suffered during last week's game against the Rams. Cooper dominated targets for Dallas and heads into Week 2 as a high-ceiling fantasy option against an Atlanta secondary that was scored by Seattle in Week 1. Fantasy managers should confidently deploy Cooper in all formats. 

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Sep 18, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 6-of-9 targets for 100 yards in the Cowboys' Week 2 win over the Falcons.

Cooper's big play of the day was an incredible one-handed grab down the middle of the field on an inaccurate throw from Dak Prescott. Cooper took it for 58 yards, setting up a short rushing touchdown. Cooper has 181 scoreless yards through two weeks but has been targeted a whopping 23 times over that span. Cooper will be a back-end WR1 with obvious upside in the Week 3 date with the Seahawks.

- Rotoworld

Amari Cooper caught 9-of-12 targets for 86 yards in the Cowboys' Week 3 loss to the Seahawks.

As he was in Weeks 1 and 2, Cooper was the focal point of the passing offense for most of the game. The top-10 fantasy receiver was a chain mover, setting up touchdowns to Michael Gallup (9 targets) and Cedric Wilson (7 targets). Cooper was effective despite battling through some visible pain. Even at less than 100% health, Cooper should be treated as an upside WR1 against the Browns in Week 4. The Cowboys will be a top-five offense this season.

Sep 27, 2020, 8:31 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 12-of-16 targets for 134 yards and one score in Dallas' Week 4 loss to Cleveland.

Cooper continued chugging along in Week 4, eclipsing the 100-yard mark for the second time this year. The 26-year-old has been the primary beneficiary of Dallas' weekly come-from-behind game script, averaging a team-high 12.7 targets despite CeeDee Lamb's and Michael Gallup's ongoing involvement. Cooper is undeniably a matchup-proof WR1 with elite volume moving forward. He'll again be ranked as such in Week 5 against the Giants.

- Rotoworld

Amari Cooper caught 2-of-4 targets for 23 yards in the Cowboys' Week 5 win over the Giants.

Cooper was averaging 12.7 targets per game coming into this one and had exceeded 81 yards in all four games prior to Sunday. On a milk carton in the first half, coach Mike McCarthy said at halftime that Cooper was fine health-wise. Chalk it up as a dud. Cooper probably needs to be dropped a tier or two following the season-ending broken ankle to Dak Prescott. Cooper will be more of a WR2 next week against Arizona.

Oct 11, 2020, 8:28 PM ET

Ed Werder @WerderEdESPN

Research confirms observation that #Cowboys played lot of snaps without WR Amari Cooper. In fact, according to @pfref, Cooper’s snap count percentage has decreased weekly from 94 percent to 91, 79, 76 and 63 yesterday vs NYG.

https://twitter.com/werderedespn/status/1315668471494082560?s=21
What's interesting is that Lamb's usage also went down (55%).

Why were they benched for entire drives yesterday?

What's interesting is that Lamb's usage also went down (55%).

Why were they benched for entire drives yesterday?
What could possibly be the benefit of not having those 3 guys on the field together as often as possible? Is McCarthy that dumb?

It was a strange game, he barely saw the field in the first half. Seemed like both Cedrick Wilson and Noah Brown played ahead of Amari and Lamb most of the first half, it was maddening. I think it was a gameplan thing, trying to run the ball as much as they could and I guess Wilson and Brown are better blockers but I honestly don't know.

Why would you want to trade him
I'm in a win now and I'm not too keen on what's-his-face at quarterback. Dak was on record pace to support Amari's decent production as is. I figured somebody not in contention this year would find him more valuable than I do.  

Users who are viewing this thread