What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (5 Viewers)

Hard for a team to produce two WR1's and a top 5 RB no? 

I don't think Cooper, Dak or McCarthy are ready to pass the torch just yet. Give me Cooper.

I think Zeke is the loser here.  Cowboy's will be trailing or in shootouts a lot this year and Dak will be airing it out.  I think both CD and Amari can be top 12 WRs.  Unless Gallup becomes the 3rd head in which case all 3 are a bit reduced in value.  Or maybe as a Cooper owner I am over-estimating.  That is also possible,  😃

I think Zeke is the loser here.  Cowboy's will be trailing or in shootouts a lot this year and Dak will be airing it out.  I think both CD and Amari can be top 12 WRs.  Unless Gallup becomes the 3rd head in which case all 3 are a bit reduced in value.  Or maybe as a Cooper owner I am over-estimating.  That is also possible,  😃
This community: RB's don't thrive in poor offenses...

Also this community: Zeke is going to suck, because they are in shootouts.  

Visit the D'Andre Swift thread and explain why Zeke won't benefit from long passes or a consistent passing game.  His TD rate should be off the charts.  I am not sure they are running Dak like they have in years past.  Don't get me wrong, I like both RB's but strictly off skillset with D'Andre Swift and I don't see how Zeke doesn't have opportunity galore.  I won't be using tomorrow's game as a benchmark for his season production, becuase I am fading him tomorrow... but if TB has the best receiving group - Dallas is TOP 5 for sure. I'm not sure how shootouts and a high scoring offense negatively impacts the RB in that situation. 

Well, I'm targeting CeeDee everywhere as I think he has top 5 potential, but I would have no problem taking Cooper a round or two later.
Risk v. Reward on this one... Amari Cooper could easily get the targets you are anticipating for CeeDee.  Amari is one of the best route runners in the league.  Everyone is salty about him because they probably took him in first 2 rounds of FF drafts.  With a 5th round ADP, dude is an absolute steal.  If you go searching for RB/RB/TE/WR in any of those orders and are looking for a WR2 value with WR1 upside - that guy is Amari Cooper and can be had in the 5th round after crushing rounds 1-4.  I think I even got him in the 6th round in a league - dumb value. 

Risk v. Reward on this one... Amari Cooper could easily get the targets you are anticipating for CeeDee.  Amari is one of the best route runners in the league.  Everyone is salty about him because they probably took him in first 2 rounds of FF drafts.  With a 5th round ADP, dude is an absolute steal.  If you go searching for RB/RB/TE/WR in any of those orders and are looking for a WR2 value with WR1 upside - that guy is Amari Cooper and can be had in the 5th round after crushing rounds 1-4.  I think I even got him in the 6th round in a league - dumb value. 

I agree with all of this. I picked 2nd in my league, and didn't even prepare for Cooper since he was off the board before my pick in the 4th in every single mock draft. I happily took him when he fell to me in the 5th at the turn (the guy picking first had already taken Lamb, so figured I didn't need to pull the trigger with my 4th).

Must start tomorrow night?
Depends on roster depth, but I am rolling him out as my WR2 tomorrow.  

I agree with all of this. I picked 2nd in my league, and didn't even prepare for Cooper since he was off the board before my pick in the 4th in every single mock draft. I happily took him when he fell to me in the 5th at the turn (the guy picking first had already taken Lamb, so figured I didn't need to pull the trigger with my 4th).
I don't want my posts to be mistaken for being down on Lamb.  I think he is an incredible player with great ability but I don't think Amari Cooper just disappears in this offense.  Dak and Cooper have great chemistry.  

The quote is totally taken out of context. He said he believes that he is the best receiver in the league but hasn’t proved it. Said other guys have proved it and he wants to prove it this season. 

Hard knocks has been boring and awful but the good was seeing the chemistry between the players, specifically Diggs, Dak, Lamb and Cooper. 

Cooper has always underwhelmed me because he seemed so quiet. I didn’t think he cared that much but after watching him on Hard Knocks it’s apparent he cares a lot. 

I've got him in my lineup, but I'm not super pumped.......at TB for Dak's first game back.  Expectations for Cowboys skill position players should be conservative

on Hard Knocks ... Diggs didnt let Cooper get a single pass from Dak .... Didnt look like best WR in the league by any means

Just having trouble slotting him. I pick 10th in a 12 team redraft, non PPR. He’s usually in a group with the likes of Woods, Cupp, Robinson etc in that 3-4 area and mentally I like the others all better than Cooper. Don’t know what it is. He certainly can have big games. I may be too down on him. No reason really

I'm truly surprised by how some of you view him. Not only are you questioning whether he is a #1, you're questioning whether to start him?

I'm truly surprised by how some of you view him. Not only are you questioning whether he is a #1, you're questioning whether to start him?
Hes a perennial 1,100 yard receiver who is good for about 5-9 TDs. That’s not a number one WR in fantasy. The potential is the ever elusive fluky TDs.

I really feel like he’s going to have a exceptional year. He’s hungry, lighter and crafty. I think he has his best year yet but I’m a biased Cowboys fan so take it for what it’s worth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just having trouble slotting him. I pick 10th in a 12 team redraft, non PPR. He’s usually in a group with the likes of Woods, Cupp, Robinson etc in that 3-4 area and mentally I like the others all better than Cooper. Don’t know what it is. He certainly can have big games. I may be too down on him. No reason really

I chose him over Kupp... I would have selected Woods and Robinson over him, though.

This community: RB's don't thrive in poor offenses...

Also this community: Zeke is going to suck, because they are in shootouts.  

Visit the D'Andre Swift thread and explain why Zeke won't benefit from long passes or a consistent passing game.  His TD rate should be off the charts.  I am not sure they are running Dak like they have in years past.  Don't get me wrong, I like both RB's but strictly off skillset with D'Andre Swift and I don't see how Zeke doesn't have opportunity galore.  I won't be using tomorrow's game as a benchmark for his season production, becuase I am fading him tomorrow... but if TB has the best receiving group - Dallas is TOP 5 for sure. I'm not sure how shootouts and a high scoring offense negatively impacts the RB in that situation. 

Well like I said I could be wrong.  Can likely assume that on anything I write  😜

Regarding Zeke and the Cowboys, my point is teams that have lousy defenses end up in shootouts and can't afford to run the ball as much as teams that have good defenses.  Cleveland is a good example of a team that doesn't have to air it out much because they have a quality D and excellent run game.  Chubb and Hunt will both have consistent production with lots of touches. 

Zeke is still a quality back on a good offense and will have solid numbers because he is good enough to turn fewer touches into more points.  But I think DAL offense will shine thru the air out of necessity.  Assuming Dak doesn't get hurt again (which killed my team last year). 

And don't get me wrong.  Had Zeke fallen to #12 in my 12 team redraft he would be on my team.   He did not fall into my hands.

Lamb is overrated. Cooper is underrated. Gallup is very underrated. Zeke will get his regardless. Sure, Pollard will get his, too, but the aggregate is a massive pie, quite possibly 2nd to only the Bucs. There's a realistic scenario where Zeke can live up to his ADP, and all 3 WR can finish in the Top 24...and I don't mean Gallup finishes as WR24, either. Well within the Top 24. IMHO, IMHO, IMHO.

Main thing I have noticed, as a Cooper owner since he entered the league, with the Dallas. They rarely target him early if there is a top CB on him. That usually changes at the end of the game if Dallas are behind, then he gets bombarded with targets.

gonna be interesting to see what happens now Lamb is getting hype.

hopefully a total point tally of 100 tomorrow!

Cooper/Lamb reminds me of the Carter/Moss days. As long as a coach is willing to air it out and the receivers have a QB who can play that game, more good receivers actually increases the pie rather than decreases it. 

Amari Cooper caught 13-of-16 targets for 139 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the Cowboys' Week 1 loss to the Bucs. 

The 13 receptions were a new career high for Cooper as he picked up where last year's pre-injury mindmeld with Dak Prescott left off. Cooper's 13-of-16 target conversion was compared to 7-of-15 for CeeDee Lamb, though the prodigiously-talented sophomore also stacked up 7/104/1. Cooper's first score was a five-yarder where Prescott found him with some cushion at the front end of the end zone. The second was a 21-yarder in the third quarter where Coop took Ross Cockrell to school, humiliating him near the goal line. Tonight was essentially a shot-for-shot remake of the Cowboys' 2020, with the defense failing to enter the same area code as Tom Brady and Prescott needing to pile up attempts on offense. We would have to imagine things unfold much the same way in Week 2 against the Chargers, putting Cooper firmly in the WR1 mix.

gonna be interesting to see what happens now Lamb is getting hype.

hopefully a total point tally of 100 tomorrow!

Pretty close!  He is so smooth in and out of his breaks, and he reads defenses so well and goes to the spot Dak expects him to be.

Lamb, on the other hand, apparently has a lot of learning to do. I counted at least 4 throws to him where he made the wrong read and Dak threw it to the spot, but Lamb wasn't there. Lamb looks great with the ball in his hands, and he can make some tough catches at the end zone, but it's easier for Dak to get the ball into the hands of Cooper. (And it looked like he trusted Gallup a lot also).

What makes it even better is that his ADP was low this year....I got him at the beginning of the 4th round. A steal if you ask me. Obviously, he won't put weeks like this every week but getting a guy like him late third, early 4th is crazy. 

Got him in the 5th and Dak in the 6th somehow - started them last night - combined for 66pts.  Amari Cooper is Dak Prescott's safety blanket.  When things went south with Lamb and Gallup got nicked up - he fed Cooper a ton of balls.  I drank too much bourbon last night, but I think he almost had a 2nd TD?  

Amari's ADP makes him an absolute steal and I am happy to roster him as my WR2 with incredible upside!  There will be weeks he doesn't score you 30+ but - how are all the Mike Evans drafters feeling today?  

Everyone wants the shiny new toy.....

CD is electric with the ball in his hands......but he he doesnt have great hands receiving the ball......he seems fine fielding punts, but he's had plenty of bad drops so far in his short career. 

Cooper is going to thrive, and be the 1a and CD the 1b, this season if Dak can stay healthy.

Cooper is going to thrive, and be the 1a and CD the 1b, this season if Dak Amari can stay healthy.

Coop hasn't exactly been the model of good health since entering the league. Let's see if he can sustain WR1 production for an entire year - in my experience with him, he wears down, gets dinged, keeps playing and trails off. He has always had the talent to be a WR1, but seemingly lacked the durability. Maybe this will be the year he keeps it together for a season-long run.

Either way, he was insane value in drafts this year.

Coop hasn't exactly been the model of good health since entering the league. Let's see if he can sustain WR1 production for an entire year - in my experience with him, he wears down, gets dinged, keeps playing and trails off. He has always had the talent to be a WR1, but seemingly lacked the durability. Maybe this will be the year he keeps it together for a season-long run.

Yea, good point....I guess I got caught up in the way that game went last night.  Dak is prolly pretty sore today I'd imagine!  Hopefully they can both stay healthy and thrive together

In the draft I would have preferred CD over Amari because of the health issue.  I didn't have a choice so own Cooper.  I would have been happy getting both as I think this DAL offense is going to air it out a lot and there is enough to keep both well fed.

Where belief comes in, only one person matters.. and now we know.

When Dak needed a play he was locked in on Cooper.

Where belief comes in, only one person matters.. and now we know.

When Dak needed a play he was locked in on Cooper.

Last night proved w/o a doubt that Coop is currently Dak's 1a. The bigger question to me is whether or not he will maintain that status through weeks 15/16/17. Coop is clearly in the lead at go, but this is more marathon than sprint.

In the draft I would have preferred CD over Amari because of the health issue.  I didn't have a choice so own Cooper.  I would have been happy getting both as I think this DAL offense is going to air it out a lot and there is enough to keep both well fed.
Based on my drafts, Cooper was a much better value than CD, at least after game one. 

CD went before I was even thinking about him.......I get the hype, but he's gotta catch the ball.

Based on my drafts, Cooper was a much better value than CD, at least after game one. 

CD went before I was even thinking about him.......I get the hype, but he's gotta catch the ball.

I think he's terrific, but I was going AJ Brown where I could have realistically drafted Lamb. Lamb went at the beginning of round 3 and I chose Cooper at the beginning of round 5. No-brainer value there.

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Amari Cooper is dealing with bruised ribs.

McCarthy noted that Cooper's injury is closer to a bruise than a fracture and that the team will know more about his status Wednesday. That might qualify as good news but Cooper isn't out of the woods yet. Were he to miss any time, CeeDee Lamb would be in line to see as many targets as a single receiver can handle. The Cowboys are already without Michael Gallup, who is currently on injured reserve. Lamb has 24 targets through two weeks and the Dallas passing game has looked impressive despite a modest showing versus the Chargers. Lamb would arguably be a top-five fantasy option with Cooper out. If Cooper is active, he could still see limited action, raising the weekly ceiling for Lamb.

SOURCE: Josh Clark on Twitter

Sep 20, 2021, 5:03 PM ET

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he's "hopeful" Amari Cooper (ribs) can play in Week 3 against the Eagles. 

“I don’t know today," Jones said when asked about the injury Cooper suffered Sunday against the Chargers. "I’m hopeful those ribs can get comfortable enough to play (Monday night).” Fantasy managers could be a tough spot this weekend if the team hasn't cleared Cooper to suit up for Monday Night Football. He could be a game-time call, depending on his practice participation late in the week. Cooper drafters will want to pick up an Eagles or Cowboys player who they could play if Cooper is inactive. Dallas WR Cedrick Wilson, who ran 19 routes and saw two targets in Week 2, is available in more than 90 percent of leagues. 

RELATED: 

Cedrick Wilson

SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter 

Sep 21, 2021, 9:32 AM ET

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (ribs) was a limited participant for Thursday's practice.

It was Dallas' first practice of the week ahead of Monday night. With an extra 24 hours to recover (and limited work on Thursday), odds are Cooper is available at kick-off. Managers should still have a backup plan (Jalen Reagor, Cedrick Wilson, etc.) in order to take Cooper's status down to the wire in Week 3. He should be considered a WR1 assuming no limitations if active.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Sep 23, 2021, 11:37 AM ET

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (ribs) said he will be "good to go" in Week 3 against the Eagles.

Even if he's listed as 'questionable' with a cracked rib on Saturday's final injury report, Cooper should be considered a WR1/2 for fantasy knowing he'll be available and on the field Monday night. Cedrick Wilson should still be rostered in deeper leagues just in case Cooper is limited or reaggravates said injury mid-game.

SOURCE: Jori Epstein on Twitter

Sep 24, 2021, 2:34 PM ET

Cooper actually injured his ribs in the first game. On his second touchdown his midsection came down hard on the defenders helmet. Which is why he didn't get much action his way last week. He's not one to sit out and let it heal. So this might linger for awhile.

Amari Cooper (ribs) was not listed with an injury designation for Week 3 against Dallas.

Amari Cooper will start the game and is set up for a nice game. The Eagles pass defense looks good by the numbers, but having played the Falcons and the 49ers so far, they've yet to be tested by a high volume attack like the Cowboys. Cooper will wear a flak jacket during the game, and has some risk of in-game re-aggravation. His upside appears to be well worth the risk.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Sep 25, 2021, 2:30 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 3-of-4 targets for 26 yards in the Cowboys' Week 3 win over the Eagles.

After going 13-139-2 on 16 targets in the Week 1 opener against the Bucs, Cooper has posted an empty 6-50 line on nine targets the last two weeks. Cooper's ribs didn't appear to be an issue in this one. He'll try to rebound and get right in a Week 4 date with the Panthers.

Sep 27, 2021, 11:53 PM ET

Did not pass the eyeball test for me tonight... "One of the NFL's best route runners" looked like a decoy tonight. Ribs aside - just looked to be not operating a full speed... kind of jogging through zones getting lost/tangled in DBs.

Did not pass the eyeball test for me tonight... "One of the NFL's best route runners" looked like a decoy tonight. Ribs aside - just looked to be not operating a full speed... kind of jogging through zones getting lost/tangled in DBs.

Why ribs aside? What you described was likely entirely due to the cracked rib. This is what Coop does pretty much every year. Plays awesome when healthy. Also plays when hurt, but not well.

This was an easy call, dropped him out of my lineup midweek. I’ve seen Julio have a week of missed practices & limited on Friday explode on Game Day. As @LawFitz said, that’s not been the case with Amari.

He and Dak looked awesome Week 1. One of the most in sync QB/WR combos in the league. He’ll be fine once he’s healthy again.

Users who are viewing this thread