What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (2 Viewers)

Did not pass the eyeball test for me tonight... "One of the NFL's best route runners" looked like a decoy tonight. Ribs aside - just looked to be not operating a full speed... kind of jogging through zones getting lost/tangled in DBs.
If you watched the game you know that Dallas gave Philly their only score, it was 27-7 quickly at the start of the 3rd, had the game been close you might have seen more of Cooper last night but there just didn't seem to be a need, not surprising in a Dallas blowout that Zeke would be heavily involved and they exploited Schultz last night, couple throws including a long one to Lamb and then Prescott only had about 150 yds passing at one point in the 3rd Q, they just didn't need to throw all over the place, and when Dallas can do it they are going to go run heavy and mix in the pass when teams clamp down in the box, good formula for McCarthy to stack wins in an easy NFC L' East. 

I was actually surprised to see Cooper on the field in the second half. There was no need to expose Cooper last night with his ribs injury based on how the game was going. I have Cooper and after the first quarter and a half, I knew I was doomed. No point to risk to aggravate his injury in a game they won after 15 minute of play time. He got no looks because there was no need for it. 

I was actually surprised to see Cooper on the field in the second half. There was no need to expose Cooper last night with his ribs injury based on how the game was going. I have Cooper and after the first quarter and a half, I knew I was doomed. No point to risk to aggravate his injury in a game they won after 15 minute of play time. He got no looks because there was no need for it. 

I guess all this makes me wonder "why even play him" if you're Dallas? Can't run, can't block, didn't seem to be drawing a lot of coverage... actually jogging to the coverage (Eagles have eyeballs too).

So... what are we thinking about Cooper in week 4? FBG seem kind of bullish on him... last week I watched him jogging and hugging DBs to a 2nd consecutive dud... is this the week he returns to running and catching, or still more rib-related nothingness?

So... what are we thinking about Cooper in week 4? FBG seem kind of bullish on him... last week I watched him jogging and hugging DBs to a 2nd consecutive dud... is this the week he returns to running and catching, or still more rib-related nothingness?
Riding the pine for me. Suspect  Dallas will try run all over Carolina too

Amari Cooper caught all three of his targets for 69 yards and one score in Dallas' Week 4 win over the Panthers.

Cooper actually left the game for a few possessions in the first quarter following hamstring tightness but returned to eventually lead the entire team in receiving yards. He also beat Carolina's mid-week acquisition C.J. Henderson downfield for a 35-yard touchdown in man coverage. Cooper hasn't seen more than five targets in any game since Week 1 — the Cowboys haven't attempted more than 27 passes in any game since that time — but remains a confident WR2 in one of the league's most explosive offenses ahead of next week's matchup against the Giants.

Amari Cooper (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Cooper pulled him hamstring against the Panthers but was able to return to Week 4 to catch all three of his targets for 69 yards and one touchdown. He's been really banged up to start the season. With the adrenaline worn off, Cooper's status is iffy for Week 5 against the Giants with a DNP to start the week.

Oct 6, 2021, 4:22 PM ET

Amari Cooper (hamstring) participated in individual drills Thursday.

He and Ezekiel Elliott (knee) returned to practice after missing Wednesday's session, though their statuses for team drills won't be public until Thursday's injury report is released. Elliott has already said he's "not concerned" about his status for Sunday whereas Cooper's outlook is slightly less clear after he sat out a handful of plays with his hamstring strain against the Panthers. We would still guess Cooper is active as a confident WR2 for Week 5 against New York.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Oct 7, 2021, 12:25 PM ET

Amari Cooper (hamstring) is questionable for Week 5 against the Giants.

Cooper already said he's "good" and will play on Sunday, which makes his 'questionable' tag more precautionary than anything. Involved in the week's third-highest total (53) against the Giants, Cooper should be viewed as a high-end WR2 whether the Cowboys allow Dak Prescott to throw more than 27 times (as he did in Week 4) or not. Ezekiel Elliott (knee, questionable) is also fully expected to play.

Oct 8, 2021, 3:34 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 3-of-6 targets for 60 yards and a touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 5 win against the Giants. 

Cooper gutted it out to play through a clearly painful hamstring injury that had limited him at practice last week. He nabbed his fourth touchdown of the season and continued to break out of the mini-funk that followed his gratuitous Week 1 stat line against Tampa. Cooper has proven the more reliable fantasy option to CeeDee Lamb, who also caught a touchdown in Week 5. Cooper is a set-it-and-forget-it WR2 play against the Patriots next week. 

Oct 10, 2021, 8:18 PM ET

Looking to possible trade for A Cooper. I haven't followed his injuries, but he seems to be playing through it and now with a bye week will he be good to go in week 8? Like a WR #2 for ROS if all goes well and health, etc. The trade would be I offer C Claypool and Darrel Williams, KC for Cooper. This team also has CEH in the IR spot. I would plug in D Harris, NE so no harm here. I need the 2 for 1 so I can hold DAL D. Crazy, I don't think so. 

Looking to possible trade for A Cooper. I haven't followed his injuries, but he seems to be playing through it and now with a bye week will he be good to go in week 8? Like a WR #2 for ROS if all goes well and health, etc. The trade would be I offer C Claypool and Darrel Williams, KC for Cooper. This team also has CEH in the IR spot. I would plug in D Harris, NE so no harm here. I need the 2 for 1 so I can hold DAL D. Crazy, I don't think so. 
I think you would have had a much better shot had Claypool actually done something this past week in a blow-up spot.

I think you would have had a much better shot had Claypool actually done something this past week in a blow-up spot.
It might help during this bye week apocalypse that this team does not have a RB 2 at all with CEH and CMC out and Pollard on a bye as well. He gains a solid RB start with Darrel Williams in order to be competitive. I just want to make sure A Cooper is good to go if this manager bites.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Amari Cooper (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 9 against the Broncos.

Cooper has been dealing with the hamstring injury for multiple weeks and it has yet to cost him a game, although he has been spotted on the sidelines stretching out his leg while the Dallas offense remained on the field. With Dak Prescott back in the lineup, Cooper projects for a massive day as Vegas sees the Cowboys walloping the Broncos by double-digit points. Cooper comes in as a high-end WR2 this week.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 7, 2021, 9:42 AM ET

Amari Cooper caught 2-of-5 targets for 37 yards in the Cowboys' Week 9 loss to the Broncos.

Cooper's five targets trailed CeeDee Lamb's nine, but Lamb produced just 2-23 on his looks with Dak Prescott missing him on a couple open throws. This was just a bad game across the board for the Cowboys, as Cooper's 37 yards led all Dallas wideouts. Cooper's hamstring didn't appear to be an issue. He'll try to rebound as a WR1 next week against the Falcons.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Amari Cooper (COVID list) won't play in Week 12 against the Raiders.

Cooper tested positive for COVID-19 and won't play in either of Dallas' Week 11 or 12 matchups since he has to be sidelined for at least 10 days. It's a disastrous on-field development that increases the usage of both Michael Gallup and Dalton Schultz in both games out of necessity. Managers should also expect CeeDee Lamb to stay glued to the field both from the boundary and slot as a full-time player.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

Sorry.  My fault.  Whenever I draft WRs high I jinx them.  First R Woods, now Amari.  Anyone with Tee Higgins should be very worried cause he is now my WR 1.  🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooper out again this week despite being at the facility today. Very strange.

CeeDee Lamb (concussion) was a full participant in Monday's practice. 

Lamb missed Week 12 because of the concussion but a Schefter report on Sunday noted that he was expected to play Week 13. All signs point to that being true and Lamb will return to a team missing Amari Cooper, who will remain on the COVID list through the Cowboys' Thursday matchup with the Saints. Securely in the WR1 chair for an elite passing attack, Lamb projects as a top-10 fantasy option at his position this week.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team is "fully expecting" Amari Cooper (COVID-19) to be ready for the team's Week 13 game against the Saints. 

The unvaccinated Cooper missed two games after testing positive for the virus on November 19. He should be active Thursday night against New Orleans despite not practicing Monday, according to Jones. Cooper should resume his low-end WR2 status against the Saints. He has just six catches for 88 yards over his past two games. Michael Gallup would slot in as the team's No. 3 pass catcher if Cooper is back in the fold. 

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter 

Nov 30, 2021, 9:52 AM ET

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Amari Cooper (COVID-19) is "not feeling the best" and was noncommittal about Cooper's Week 13 availability. 

"My gut would be if he doesn't practice [Wednesday], I don't see him going to the game," McCarthy said of the unvaccinated Cooper, who has missed two games after testing positive for the virus on November 19. Cooper did not practice Monday and might not practice Tuesday, per McCarthy. It's not quite the optimistic picture Jerry Jones painted Tuesday morning when asked about Cooper's availability for the team's Thursday night game against the Saints. Cooper's continued absence would make Michael Gallup a low-end WR2 option in Week 13. 

RELATED: 

Michael Gallup

Nov 30, 2021, 11:25 AM ET

Ed Werder @WerderEdESPN

#Cowboys WR Amari Cooper will play tonight after two-game Covid absence, but I’m told to expect the team to limit his volume of snaps. His conditioning level is not what it was two weeks ago before he came sick.
https://twitter.com/werderedespn/status/1466480418593640460?s=21

Ed Werder @WerderEdESPN

Interim #Cowboys HC Dan Quinn told me WR Amari Cooper and DE Demarcus Lawrence will have their playing time managed initially and adjustments to their roles altered based on how they respond physically. Cowboys want to maximize the impact of each even if roles are limited tonight

https://twitter.com/werderedespn/status/1466524491886972930?s=21

Amari Cooper (COVID-19) is active for Week 13 against the Saints. 

Cooper's steam will be a matter of debate after he was reportedly experiencing COVID symptoms as recently as Tuesday, but he will be out there in three-receiver sets with CeeDee Lamb and Michael Gallup with Cedrick Wilson (ankle) out. Cooper can be fired up as the low-end WR2 he was operating as before his case of the novel coronavirus. Joining Wilson on the sideline will be QB Will Grier and DE Azur Kamara. 

Dec 2, 2021, 6:54 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught both of his targets for 41 yards in the Cowboys' Week 13 win over the Saints.

Cooper came into Thursday night a game-time decision after dealing with COVID symptoms this week. He was used situationally, getting most of his snaps on third downs and passing situations. The Cowboys limited Cooper to just 35% of snaps. Cooper still managed to have an impact despite the reduced role, catching a 41-yard pass and drawing an interference call on a third-and-10. With a mini-bye, Cooper should be back to 100 percent for a Week 14 matchup with Washington.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:33 AM ET

When asked if Amari Cooper will be ready for a full workload in Week 14, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy responded, “I have no reason to think he’s not.”

Cooper logged a season-low 34% of Dallas' snaps in his first game back from the COVID list, recording two catches for 41 yards. Now 12 days removed from the team's last game, Cooper sounds as if he's healthy enough to return to his usual role across from CeeDee Lamb. With Randy Gregory, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Micah Parsons all trending towards being available for the first time together all year, the Cowboys are getting healthy at the perfect time for the stretch run.

Dec 9, 2021, 11:26 AM ET

Speaking in a Thursday radio interview, Amari Cooper said he was frustrated with his recent production and that he needs more red zone and third down targets. 

"We’re not converting a lot of (the defense's) turnovers into touchdowns," Cooper began. "A lot of them are field goals. And I feel like I could be a huge part of that, so that’s what frustrates me. I think I can do more in the red zone if I get some targets. I can do more on third down if I get the targets. To help the offense be what we need to be, I think I can definitely help change that.” That is about as diplomatic of a targets demand as you will ever hear, but it is a targets demand all the same. Cooper is averaging just three grabs on five targets over his past five contests. It is hard to disagree with the notion that he needs the ball more. The injury-ravaged Washington Football Team would be a good place to start this weekend. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Dec 23, 2021, 7:30 PM ET

He seems very underutilized. While with Dallas I’ve seen him ignored all game, usually when getting shadowed by an elite CB, until Dal gets down multiple scores and then it’s all Cooper. He went huge the game Dak missed this year.

wouldve liked to see what CD could do with our Cooper drawing top coverage but he got dinged most those games, did very little the half he played. CD also did nothing in the playoffs last week 

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports the Cowboys are expected to retain WR Amari Cooper next season.

Cooper had the first two seasons of his five-year, $100 million contract guaranteed. His $20 million salary becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year, giving the Cowboys a window to potentially move on from him. Dallas would save $14 million against the cap with $6 million in dead money if they released Cooper, who posted his second lowest yards per game of his career while missing two weeks on the COVID list. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said the team doesn't plan to "change directions" with Cooper this offseason. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jan 29, 2022, 11:04 AM ET

When asked if Amari Cooper will be part of the 2022 roster, Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said, "It's too early for me to address that."

Jones was then asked if a restructure or pay cut is in the works. “I don’t want to address any of that as far as the details of any contract," Jones said. Cooper is scheduled to make a $20 million salary and count $22 million against the cap in 2022, the second-highest cap among all NFL wideouts, trailing only DeAndre Hopkins. Owner/GM Jerry Jones has already openly vented about Cooper's lack of production last season this offseason. And Cooper was vocal about his lack of red-zone usage last season. The Cowboys can clear $16 million in cap space by releasing Cooper, who remains squarely in his prime at 28 (in June).

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Feb 28, 2022, 6:09 PM ET

The Dallas Morning News reports the "shared opinion from several sources at the NFL combine is it would be an upset" if Amari Cooper is retained by the Cowboys for 2022. 

This is not the same as a team source telling Gehlken that Cooper will be cut, but Gehlken is a veteran beat writer who knows whom to canvass as he seeks opinions. This is also an opinion the Cowboys themselves have helped foster, with both owner Jerry Jones and his son Stephen essentially putting Cooper on blast in public. Cooper missed time in 2021 because he was unvaccinated against the coronavirus then complained about his usage in the offense. Cooper's eye-popping $20 million salary becomes fully guaranteed if he remains on the roster at 3PM CT on March 20. The sides could still decide a new deal is preferable to moving on, but at the very least, Cooper is headed for a contract adjustment. Gehlken does add that "contract talks between the Cowboys and (injured free agent Michael) Gallup will factor heavily into the direction the team goes with Cooper."

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News 

Mar 3, 2022, 10:08 PM ET

The Score reporting Dallas will cut him.  Aren’t Gallup and Wilson both FAs?   Seems like Gallup will want a payday. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cowboys are "likely" to release Amari Cooper. 

Schefter's report comes a day after the Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken speculated Dallas would not retain Cooper in 2022. Due $20 million in guaranteed money, Cooper will probably be released at the start of the league's new year. Neither team owner Jerry Jones nor his son, Stephen, have publicly supported Cooper after the Cowboys' devastating postseason loss to the 49ers. Outside of a handful of big statistical games over his three years in Dallas, Cooper never lived up to the dominant alpha wideout status the Joneses had expected when they acquired him. Cooper's release would likely mean the Cowboys are leaning toward re-signing Michael Gallup to be the team's No. 2 receiver behind CeeDee Lamb. Cooper's absence would leave about 25 percent of the team's targets vacated -- enough to fuel hopes for a true breakout campaign for Lamb in 2022. Cooper, meanwhile, could be a target hog if he lands in an offense without a true No. 1 receiver. 

RELATED: 

CeeDee Lamb

, Michael Gallup

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 4, 2022, 10:45 AM ET

Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  The Colts could definitely use his services.

hasn't fallen at all. his qb has been borerline stinky, and he's playing across from another studly WR. this is best case for him.. still a top 3 nfl route runner and elite hands. i hope he ends up in indy

his cap hit/savings is what is making this happen, imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread