What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

Alabama WR Amari Cooper "is the complete package," a "polished player and a mature route runner," writes NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.

"I think he could flourish early in almost any situation, but I have him landing with the Oakland Raiders at No. 4 in my latest mock draft," Davis wrote. Cooper visited 10 teams in the top 12, including the Buccaneers, Titans, Jaguars, Redskins, Jets, Bears, Falcons, Giants, Rams and Browns. Noticeably absent on that list is Oakland, which is either a sign of no interest or intense interest. (It's the latter). "He will get plenty of opportunities to make plays if he lands there as an immediate top target for second-year QB Derek Carr," Davis wrote. "Carr will want to rely on Cooper, and big numbers for the former Crimson Tide star could follow, but the same outcome could be in store for Cooper even if he is paired elsewhere with a veteran QB."

Source: NFL.com

Apr 26 - 12:25 AM

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock believes a good case can be made for the Jacksonville Jaguars drafting Alabama WR Amari Cooper No. 3, but thinks the club should wait until the second round to draft a receiver.

"They need to upgrade that defensive front, and that wide receiver class is so deep this year," Mayock said. "I think if (the Jaguars) want a receiver, you can get him at No. 36." The Jaguars, of course, must make major offensive strides in this week's draft. They finished last in the NFL in scoring offense with 15.6 points per game last year.

Source: NFL.com

Apr 27 - 2:50 AM

Rotoworld:

A scout compared Alabama WR Amari Cooper to Reggie Wayne.

"Wayne has always been under the radar as being a great receiver," the scout said. "That's Cooper. Makes plays. Get open. Difficult to bring down. Not because he's strong, but because he has a knack and can make a subtle move." Another scout's comparisons were just as complimentary. "I think he's better than Torry Holt, Roddy White," he said. "Very smooth and very polished." Cooper caught 253 passes for 3,401 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two years in the SEC. "He plays tough," a third scout said. "He's just not I guess the modern prototype now because of the size."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Dan Pompei is "hearing" the Rams could move up for Alabama WR Amari Cooper.

In the same tweet, Pompei writes "if they cant move up, they could move back." We expect a number of trades on Thursday, as teams in the middle and later part of round one as teams target the final few first round grades still on their board. Amari Cooper would add some much need consistency to the Rams' receiver group.

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter

Rotoworld take:

Raiders selected Alabama WR Amari Cooper with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2015 draft.

Cooper (6'1/211) won the 2014 Biletnikoff Award as college football's top receiver, setting an SEC record with 124 receptions as a 20-year-old true junior. He finished his college career with a 228-3,463-31 receiving line, averaging 15.2 yards per catch. Although Cooper lacks ideal in-air leaping ability (33" vertical), he runs sub-4.4 with blinding short-area quicks, evidenced by Cooper's 6.71 three-cone time and 3.98 short shuttle. Likened to Torry Holt by NFL Network's Mike Mayock, there are also elements of Odell Beckham to Cooper's small-ball game. Not yet 21 years old, Cooper projects as a PPR monster in the pros. He'll slot in as Derek Carr's unquestioned No. 1 receiver in an offense that was previously a cluster of twos and threes.

Apr 30 - 8:35 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I offered Julio for the 1.1 in my superflex lead. The guy is leaning Cooper and he rejected. I would have gone Gurley. I thought he would take it.

I offered Julio for the 1.1 in my superflex lead. The guy is leaning Cooper and he rejected. I would have gone Gurley. I thought he would take it.
Now that is rookie fever. I would definitely take that
julio is worth 5 coopers. julio is a #1 target in a shanny offense, cooper is a rairder. one has ryan another has carr, what more do you need to know? does anyone believe julio has had his best year yet? he was shy tds last year but had 104/1593/6. who is even considering trading that anyways for a rookie?

love cooper and gurley but have a man love out of this world for julio. please dont trade someone you know is a god for someone you hope to be. what sense does that make? rookie fever is what changes the dynamics of teams for years to come.

Now that is rookie fever. I would definitely take that
julio is worth 5 coopers. julio is a #1 target in a shanny offense, cooper is a rairder. one has ryan another has carr, what more do you need to know? does anyone believe julio has had his best year yet? he was shy tds last year but had 104/1593/6. who is even considering trading that anyways for a rookie?

love cooper and gurley but have a man love out of this world for julio. please dont trade someone you know is a god for someone you hope to be. what sense does that make? rookie fever is what changes the dynamics of teams for years to come.
I agree with most of this (short of the 5 Coopers). Injury history aside, I'd prefer the known commodity with an already great upside. Way too many unknown variables with Carr/Cooper. No idea how variables will pan out for 1. Carr's growth, 2. Cooper's adaptation to the NFL with Carr, 3. Musgrave's new offense.

Only way I'd trade Julio for Cooper is if someone throws in a nice WR or RB for a position of need on my roster. I'm REALLY high on Cooper too.

I don't like the Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss comparisons. I think Cooper's comp is Sterling Sharpe. 6 foot 210 pounds, compact frame, good routes, elite agility and sufficient functional speed to make plays on both short and long routes. Their bodies are the same as is their playing style.

That said Cooper will not have Brett Favre throwing him the ball so I don't know what his production Will be like.

Rotoworld:

A Raiders team source described first-round WR Amari Cooper as the "real deal" during Oakland's OTAs.

"Real deal," the source said. "Almost no mental errors. Runs great routes, consistent route runner." Cooper is about as NFL-ready as they come out of college and should flirt with 80-plus catches in year one as the Raiders' target hog. Cooper drew Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison comps in the lead-up to the draft. He's a good bet to lead the rookie receivers in fantasy scoring, though Kevin White, Nelson Agholor, and Breshad Perriman are certainly in that conversation.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Jun 5 - 11:57 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson said first-round WR Amari Cooper is "ready to breakout immediately."

The Cooper hype train is speeding full-steam ahead, but it may be for good reason. Cooper has reportedly been the "real deal" during OTAs and was the most NFL-ready receiver in the 2015 class. Without much pass-catching talent surrounding him, 1,000 yards and 80 receptions are well within Cooper's reach.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 6 - 12:24 PM

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur

Charles Woodson on Cooper: “At Green Bay right off the bat you knew Greg Jennings had it. Amari is the same way.” #Raiders
Raider Ghost‏@RaiderGhost21

@VicTafur Caution Vic, #raiders don't exactly have ballers at CB position. Very easy to make WR's look better than they really are.
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur

Cooper had some flashes but to me standout was Streater. Gave DBs fits getting off line and with route running.

Streater? I had him pegged to do big things last season. Disappointing.
Isn't Streater the story every camp, since his rookie year? Practice warriors are a dime a dozen. We typically know pretty quickly which ones have that mindset that makes it translate to gameday.

Love him as a security blanket who clearly knows what to do on the field. Hate him as any kind of breakout candidate.

Amari Cooper, Mario Edwards, Clive Walford could start for RaidersExcerpt:

Why Amari Cooper could start: Cooper will start. He will instantly be the Raiders' No. 1 receiver. In fact, Cooper, taken No. 4 overall from Alabama, should be the Raiders' best receiver in years from the moment he hits the field Week 1. The Raiders haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Randy Moss in 2005. Second-year quarterback Derek Carr didn't have a receiver who had even 700 yards receiving last year. That should all change. Cooper, who had an SEC record 124 catches for 1,727 yards last year, will be Carr's top target. He will be Oakland's No. 1 receiver and free-agent signing Michael Crabtree will be the No. 2 receiver. The Raiders chose Cooper over USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams and Cooper has not given Oakland any reason to regret that draft decision. Coaches are raving about how polished and how NFL-ready Cooper is. He has a full route-running tree, he rarely makes mistakes and he has a natural feel for the offense. The Raiders finally appear to have an impact receiver in Cooper.

Isn't Streater the story every camp, since his rookie year? Practice warriors are a dime a dozen. We typically know pretty quickly which ones have that mindset that makes it translate to gameday.

Love him as a security blanket who clearly knows what to do on the field. Hate him as any kind of breakout candidate.
He caught 60 passes his second year and in his third (2014) he was hurt week 3.

He caught 60 passes his second year and in his third (2014) he was hurt week 3.
Right.

So three glowing training camps, and 2.2 years of nothing production? Isn't that pretty much what I was saying? :confused:

Finding the Fits: Don't overlook Walford among Raiders' rookies

Excerpt:

Other thoughts on the Raiders' 2015 draft class:

Of course, the real beneficiary of the new, more aggressive offense that Musgrave is bringing with him to Oakland is Cooper and second-year quarterback Derek Carr. The Raiders are already gushing about their prized rookie receiver, lauding his self-starter mentality, savvy route-running and vacuum hands. A source attending Oakland's workouts to this point characterized Cooper as "indefensible" to this point and that is with Carr mostly sidelined with a finger injury. The 6-foot-1, 211 pound Cooper may be even faster on the field than the blazing 4.31-second time he registered in the 40-yard dash at the Combine, consistently shaking himself free of defenders because of his incredible fluidity. Given the relative lack of top-flight cornerbacks in the AFC West, the frequency he's likely to be targeted and Carr's considerable talent and familiarity in a spread offense, Cooper could very well be the favorite at this point to win Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/563366136134512642

we have him with 6 drops on 130 catchable passes for the season. 4.62%
Good find. Thanks

On a side note. Why is that smooth and explosive can't co-exist. A smooth athlete that runs a low 4.4 is labeled as not an explosive player, a max effort runner runs a low 4.4 and they are explosive. I don't get it. The combine will clear some things up but size, speed, age of breakout, stats, metrics....almost identical to Watkins at this point. Yet Watkins is explosive because it "looks" like he he trucking along when he runs, Cooper is athletic because he is smooth when he is trucking along.
actually ran between 4.31-4.37 when they superimposed the kevin white, parker 40 you can clearly see he came ahead of White. Thing is it's hand timed so these times are off anyways. Either way we can put to bed he's not explosive crap. Guy is legit 4.3 doesn't get caught from behind and is a stronger, bigger, faster version of Marvin Harrison/Antonio Brown/Odell Beckham when I put on his tape. Are we still discussing this ??

Apparently, Cooper ran a 4.35-4.38 40. Something I had already correctly measured nearly a month ago.
still a little off.. he ran this at pro day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334551/article/alabama-wr-amari-cooper-says-he-ran-431-40yard-dash

actual combine 40 was in this ball park 4.31-4.37

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/sources-alabama-wide-receiver-amari-cooper-ran-4-31-to-4-37-not-4-42-at-combine/

I think we can all lay to rest Cooper being only a possession receiver and more quick than fast, that's complete bs and garbage. Seeing as Kevin White ran a 4.35 and Cooper beat him out by a hair im willing to bet cooper ran somewhere between 4.31-4.34.............. That's super fast, long speed and his quickness is unparalleled.. What things do you see in him that makes him elite one of the earlier posters said LMAO characters I swear. The more I watch of him the better he looks man this guy is Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread