What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Flash - new show on CW (1 Viewer)

lakerstan

Footballguy
Thought I would DVR the pilot, as I do with many new shows just to see if there is potential. Enjoyed this more than I thought. Sure, there is some typical CW teen angst built in, but overall a decent effort. Some good adult character actors added to the credibility of the show, which left enough questions open that I'll be on board to find out the answers.

My favorite superhero. I've enjoyed Arrow so much that I am thrilled that they went with The Flash next. I DVRed it and can't wait to watch. Thanks for starting a thread.

Didn't that show already flop way back when?

ETA: 1990 evidently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would DVR the pilot, as I do with many new shows just to see if there is potential. Enjoyed this more than I thought. Sure, there is some typical CW teen angst built in, but overall a decent effort. Some good adult character actors added to the credibility of the show, which left enough questions open that I'll be on board to find out the answers.
I'll second this. I enjoy Arrow as well, and was happy that they kept The Flash in the same vein. Good pilot overall. Looking forward to seeing how it develops across the season.

My son was interested in it so I DVRed as well. Im excited that he is old enough to want to watch it. Whether he will actually like it is another story

As I mentioned in the Gotham thread I liked this quite a bit. Flash has never been a character I've really paid attention to or cared about but I like the cast and it seems to have potential.

The Flash debuted to strong numbers on Tuesday night and became The CWs most-watched and highest-rated series premiere since The Vampire Diaries launched in 2009.

The super series, starring Grant Gustin as the scarlet speedster, drew 4.5 million viewers and a 1.8 in the 18-49 demographic. Thats even higher than the flagship series Arrow debuted to in 2012 (4.1 million, 1.3). In comparison, Diaries debut drew 4.9 million and a 2.1.

The Flash also finished third in the hour, ahead of ABC and Fox. On ABC, comedies Selfie and Mahattan Love Story both dropped off in their second episodes. Selfie drew 3.9 million and 1.1, while Manhattan brought in 3.2 million and 0.9. For its part, Fox aired a repeat of Family Guy in the 8 p.m. time slot, which only drew 1.98 million and 0.9, on average with last weeks Utopia.

i watched it, i'll give it another go. little campy in places. never even heard of the arrow show, should i watch it?

i watched it, i'll give it another go. little campy in places. never even heard of the arrow show, should i watch it?
Yes, most definitely. Well written, extremely high production values and good fight choreography, and, perhaps most important for FFA purposes, wall-to-wall babes. My second favorite show on right now (not counting Mad Men) after Person of Interest.

Arrow is made by the same people who make this show. It's basically an Arrow spinoff when this Barry Allen was popular as a guest on Arrow.

Arrow is made by the same people who make this show. It's basically an Arrow spinoff when this Barry Allen was popular as a guest on Arrow.
Barry Allen was a on the Arrow to promote the Flash spinoff already in the works. Not that it really matter's.

Kind of "eh" on this so far. I don't like the casting for the lead much. His voice is so whiny it is distracting.

Will give it a chance still, but it already feels like clumsy story telling. They introduce the whole someone killed my mother thing and then immediately in the second episode give away it was himself that he saw in the lightning. Knowing this so early kills the story unless they throw in some surprise twist... but we are expecting it now so good luck making it a surprise.

I think part of my issue too is I get annoyed when someone is overpowered and has the ability to easily handle situations, but just doesn't because there would be no story if they actually used their abilities effectively. He can dodge bullets but can't step past a couple of people swinging fists without getting pummeled to the ground? Give me a ####### break. The ability to move before your opponent can even react is so overpowered it is tough to create any credible threats unless you make the character ignore his powers. Most every conflict should end like the kitchen fight with Quicksilver in the last Xmen movie. But that is the problem with characters that have powers like Flash or Superman, and why I have a hard time enjoying their tales.

Sorry, off my soap box now.

Mile High said:
Shrugs said:
Barry Allen was a on the Arrow to promote the Flash spinoff already in the works. Not that it really matter's.
My belief is that it was kind of a tryout and still could have been shelved if he didn't come off well on Arrow.

Kind of "eh" on this so far. I don't like the casting for the lead much. His voice is so whiny it is distracting.

Will give it a chance still, but it already feels like clumsy story telling. They introduce the whole someone killed my mother thing and then immediately in the second episode give away it was himself that he saw in the lightning. Knowing this so early kills the story unless they throw in some surprise twist... but we are expecting it now so good luck making it a surprise.

I think part of my issue too is I get annoyed when someone is overpowered and has the ability to easily handle situations, but just doesn't because there would be no story if they actually used their abilities effectively. He can dodge bullets but can't step past a couple of people swinging fists without getting pummeled to the ground? Give me a ####### break. The ability to move before your opponent can even react is so overpowered it is tough to create any credible threats unless you make the character ignore his powers. Most every conflict should end like the kitchen fight with Quicksilver in the last Xmen movie. But that is the problem with characters that have powers like Flash or Superman, and why I have a hard time enjoying their tales.

Saw himself in the lightning?

I think the best way to think about it is that it takes time for any superhero to mature into his power. Smallville was great for this. Sure he was Superman but he was still just a kid learning as the series progressed.

I feel like they are treating Flash the same way. Right now he boasts that he can run a mile in 3 seconds. We all know that is not the limit of his powers. As the series progresses maybe we'll see him improve.

But I do agree that the Flash is going to be very difficult to write for. Speed wins almost every fight. Very hard to find enemies for him.

I think it is the Reverse Flash. Possibly him as well.

I guess I come in not really knowing anything about the comicsn So he killed his own mother by accidentally time travelling somehow? That's a good twist.

It was Reverse Flash, not himself. The suit colors were opposite - dead give away. But I guess if you don't follow the comics, you wouldn't catch that. :nerd:

I think it's moving pretty well right now. I'm really interested in learning why the good doctor is protecting flash in this manner. I have ideas/theories, but his actions seem to go against those ideas.

It was Reverse Flash, not himself. The suit colors were opposite - dead give away. But I guess if you don't follow the comics, you wouldn't catch that. :nerd:

I think it's moving pretty well right now. I'm really interested in learning why the good doctor is protecting flash in this manner. I have ideas/theories, but his actions seem to go against those ideas.
This has me hooked right now. Real interesting character.

I actually think it's to the show's credit that Barry already recognizes that another powered speedster would be involved in his mother's death. He's supposed to smart. He saw what he saw and he knows that appears as a blur to people watching him. I'd expect him to draw that conclusion.

I don't think the idea of the Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom is going to be some long mystery the show sits on. They wouldn't introduce an Eddie Thrawn character in the pilot if it were. That doesn't mean the show will just follow the comics (Arrow made Malcolm Merlyn, and not Tommy "Merlyn"), but characters aren't generally introduced for no reason whatsoever. Arrow wasn't going to have the Lance family and then do nothing with Black Canary.

Here is my major been with this show and I will probably still watch it. It is going to do the same thing Smallville did. smallville used a krypton it meteor to give everyone powers. It made Clark Kent kind of not special. flash is going to use the same tired formula. I know this is minor but it is like using a smallville template in making the flash.

Peak said:

Thanks for the heads up, definitely haven't followed Flash enough to have caught that. Probably just wrote it off to the special effects messing with the colors and didn't notice.

I hope that Ramsay is right and the mother's death thing isn't going to be a thing of long term focus if they are giving this much away already... but I think they've made it a big enough deal for the character I'm kind of expecting it will be.

I hope it turns out to be good and will keep watching for awhile. Just hasn't given me good vibes yet.

The show is light escapist fun like much of the run of the Comic Book, Its' a lot of things that Marvel's Agents of Shield should have been. AoS is kind of boring. Flash is light and fun and excellent. I'm in on this one

If I were a betting man, I'm going to say that the Doc is actually Metron. Acting like he was crippled in the accident (Metron travels in his Mobius Chair), playing with the timeline, behind the scenes puppet master.

All in all, I really like the series so far especially the one with Captain Cold. Can't wait until they flesh out the rest of the Rogues (they had Weather Wizard and introduced Heatwave).

I'm ridiculously pumped for the 4-hour (two 2-hour episodes) crossover event with Arrow. Arrow to me is the far superior show, and I don't see that changing as I enjoy the darker tone and martial arts aspect of Arrow more. But for me Flash will always be worth watching as a nice warmup to Arrow, in the same universe and with shared characters, and I'm expecting it will improve immensely over time like Arrow did.

Honestly I wish there wasn't such a strict divide between Arrow/Flash in terms of powers--Arrow is going for more of a Nolan-Batman thing where it's all "realistic", and all the superpowered villains and heroes will mostly stay on The Flash. I think it would be interesting to see Team Arrow have to deal with villains that don't just use guns/swords/bows/martial arts. Plus it's unrealistic that all the superpowered people would stay in Central City---I also don't like that they're making the incident that gave Flash his powers the same incident that gave everyone else their powers--and I assume more will manifest in time.

They need to stop doing flashbacks to when he was a kid already wearing The Flash's colors, btw. It's corny as hell.

Oh, and the Det./adoptive father guy is tops at coming this close to crying at least once every episode.

Pretty good. A little overly dramatic even for a pilot but it for the job done. I'll check out the other 3 episodes now.

Also, I get that Barry is the origin story ( ignoring the real old stuff with Jay Garrick) but I always liked Wally West. Flash to me should be cocky.

Man, they are getting rid of established DC villans left and right here. Multiplex and Plastique have been in the comics for decades and they're offed in 30 minutes here.

Can't wait for Grodd though. He's one of my favorites.

So, that reveal was too easy, right?

Wells is Zolomon Hunter; ie Zoom & Eddie is Professor Zoom, imo.
I have a different theory.

I think the Reverse-Flash in this week's episode appeared to be an android under Wells' control (the glowing red eyes). And seeing that we know that Wells has a machine that sees into the future (which allows him to know that Barry is still on track to avert the Crisis), I think that Wells is probably T.O. Morrow. Morrow was introduced as building a television that saw into the future and of course he built Red Tornado and his "brothers" so he's an accomplished robotocist. I do think that Eddie himself will eventually don the yellow suit, and become Prof. Zoom or just Zoom at some point in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread