What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serial Podcast (spoilers starting at post #14) (1 Viewer)

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
Anyone else listening to this? NPR-produced podcast investigating a single murder case from 1999, guy says he didn't do it. Results of investigation reported in weekly (?) installments. They've made three episodes and I think the fourth comes out this week. I've listened to two so far. If you're looking for a way to pass time during a commute or something it's worth checking out.

iTunes link

Review/summary

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize she was still reporting it although I guess it makes sense - funding the project for a year without broadcasting anything would be weird.

So far, there are only two things working in his favor - Asia McClane and the guy that discovered the body. The former may be misremembering the day or something. I'm not nearly as hung up on the Defense not calling her as I am about how a guy innocent of a crime wouldn't be screaming from courtroom to gallows that he had an alibi. He got these letters from Asia and put them in a drawer when his life is at stake? And the streaker may have been in the woods for other reasons, but that doesn't make him a killer. I guess the unsaid theory is that someone told him where the body was (rather than finding it accidentally). Even if that is true it doesn't disqualify Jay or Adnan being the one who told him.

I'm excited to hear about the trial where he was quickly convicted. The buildup so far has been about how there is no physical evidence tying him to the crime. But there is plenty of motive, opportunity, and activity that looks an awful lot like premeditation.

First episode was pretty good. Excited for the rest.

And I must say, what a wonderful time for radio/podcasts. I stopped being terribly interested in music years ago. At least as the primary thing to listen to while driving. Satellite radio is/was awesome, but podcasts, of course, are the same concept but better in every way.

the people at this American life know how to spin a yarn and it seems inconceivable to me at this point that the height of this here tale will be anything other Sarah talking to Jay

Episode 4 today. So good. Back in the "he's innocent...maybe" camp.
Yeah I'm back here too- of course the promise for next week's episode is an explanation of the corroborating evidence, so we'll probably flip-flop again. I assume that's the intent. Even knowing that I still can't wait for the next episode, if only because I don't really understand how you can "corroborate" a story that keeps changing.

Agree on your spoiler too.

Episode 5 in the books. Back in the "he did it" camp.

the phone being in the park at night is a problem. I think he did it but jay doesn't have all the details right

Episode 5 in the books. Back in the "he did it" camp.

the phone being in the park at night is a problem. I think he did it but jay doesn't have all the details right
Absolutely. I was confused as to why she didn't ask him about the Leakin Park cell records. Maybe that's coming next week, but it seemed like an obvious question you'd want answered and fit in with this week's subject matter.

Also I'm thinking we can do away with spoiler tags once the episode is out? Nobody's gonna open the thread and read past the first couple posts unless they're keeping up, right? Just like we'd do in the TV show threads.

But they haven't yet said if jay came in on his own or if he perhaps was arrested and looking for a deal, right? :popcorn:

Yeah, very curious about this cat. Sounds like the trial hinged on his word. And he's the sort of dude other people feel comfortable asking for body burial help with.

Guilty as ####. The fact that he never tried to contact her after she disappeared is damning. Dude knew she was dead.

Guilty as ####. The fact that he never tried to contact her after she disappeared is damning. Dude knew she was dead.
I had the same thought. I'd be interested to know how often he called/paged before that, but she did not get too much into that.

Seems like he probably did it, but I don't think I could convict if on a jury. Not based on what we've heard so far.
:goodposting:

I've only listened through Episode 5 (I assume there was a new one today that y'all are commenting about). I've thought from the beginning that he did it, though at the beginning based more on "feel" than anything else. As the episodes have played out, I've felt more and more confident in that assessment, but I haven't gotten to a point where I felt that he was "guilty" in the legal sense.

It's kind of interesting to me that they chose a case where there isn't so much nuance to it. There are plenty of "apparently innocent guys wrongfully convicted" cases out there from which to choose. I guess they just focused on this one since it was brought to them, rather than their seeking one out on their own, but I'd be more interested in one with more gray areas.

Have we ever had an explanation of why Jay had his phone, if not for the reasons that Jay described?

I also haven't heard how Jay knew where her car was, but maybe that's coming.

:wall:

Damn this podcast (I mean that in the best possible way).

I have been flip flopping a lot. As Krista said, there is not a ton of nuance to this and seems as though it has to be one or the other or both. Would be weird for them to throw in a last minute suspect 9 episodes in or something.

I will admit that I am just throwing darts, and it doesn't make a ton of sense, but could their roles be the opposite as they were presented? Did Jay killed her and Adnan help bury her?

The biggest problems that I am having with the case are:

- Jay's changing of the story so much with police and trials, mostly during the day. Seemed to change a lot with where he saw the body, where they were, etc.. this is the time that the cell records don't line up with his story too. (I think episode 4?)

- The timeline that they are basing this one is possible, but very tight (episode 5). Something like 3 minutes to murder her and put her in the trunk? in an OPEN BEST BUY PARKING LOT?

- The letter from the girl stating that she saw him in the library at the time of the killing

- Jen's story about Jay freaking out and doubling back to get rid of the shovels and clothes even though he claimed he didn't have anything to do with it.

It does seem like they were together that night, based on Kathy's (?) story and both of them verified that, and the cell pinged the tower by Leakin Park. Jenn said something about not knowing why Jay would help him (and also said something about unless he paid him or something). I am starting to think that Jay did it (possibly with Adnan's advance knowledge, and somewhere in the afternoon not at the Best Buy) and then both of them tried to dispose of her. Maybe Jay freaked and pinned it on him, and Adnan didn't feel like fighting it out of guilt or something.

Also WTF placed the anonymous call telling them to look into Adnan. She claims that she has guesses, but couldn't say.

I have been flip flopping a lot. As Krista said, there is not a ton of nuance to this and seems as though it has to be one or the other or both. Would be weird for them to throw in a last minute suspect 9 episodes in or something.

I will admit that I am just throwing darts, and it doesn't make a ton of sense, but could their roles be the opposite as they were presented? Did Jay killed her and Adnan help bury her?

- Jay's changing of the story so much with police and trials, mostly during the day. Seemed to change a lot with where he saw the body, where they were, etc.. this is the time that the cell records don't line up with his story too. (I think episode 4?) I THINK HIS CHANGING OF STORY IS 100% RELATED TO HIS NOT WANTING, INITIALLY AND POSSIBLY LATER, TO ADMIT TO HOW INVOLVED HE REALLY WAS. IT CERTAINLY MAKES SENSE THAT HE WOULDN'T ADMIT TO HELPING BURY, ETC AND THAT HE EVOLVED HIS ADMISSIONS AS HE WENT ALONG.

- The timeline that they are basing this one is possible, but very tight (episode 5). Something like 3 minutes to murder her and put her in the trunk? in an OPEN BEST BUY PARKING LOT? MEH, DIDN'T PUT A LOT OF STOCK IN THIS, AS I THINK TIMING COULD BE OFF A BIT, PLUS THE 2:36 TIMEFRAME WAS BASED ON A CALL THAT JAY DIDN'T CONFIRM WAS "THE CALL"

- The letter from the girl stating that she saw him in the library at the time of the killing ALSO MEH TO ME, AS SHE SEEMED REALLY DESPERATE TO "INSERT" HERSELF INTO THIS AT THE BEGINNING, DESPERATE TO BE NOTICED BY EVEN SAYING "I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME BUT...", AND IF SHE IS SINCERE, SHE WELL COULD HAVE HER DAYS OFF.

- Jen's story about Jay freaking out and doubling back to get rid of the shovels and clothes even though he claimed he didn't have anything to do with it. THOUGHT HE ADMITTED LATER HE HELPED BURY THE BODY. :shrug:

It does seem like they were together that night, based on Kathy's (?) story and both of them verified that, and the cell pinged the tower by Leakin Park. Jenn said something about not knowing why Jay would help him (and also said something about unless he paid him or something). THIS WAS BULL#### IN MY OPINION AS THE SOCCER COACH AND OTHERS CONFIRMED THAT JAY WOULD "OFTEN" DROP ADNAN OFF FOR PRACTICE AND PICK HIM UP LATER--IS THAT THE BEHAVIOR OF SOMEONE WHO WASN'T A GOOD FRIEND? ALSO IF SO, WHY WOULD ADNAN'S PHONE BE MAKING SIX CALLS TO JAY'S FRIEND THAT DAY (UNLESS IT WAS CONFIRMED JAY HAD THE PHONE)? I am starting to think that Jay did it (possibly with Adnan's advance knowledge, and somewhere in the afternoon not at the Best Buy) and then both of them tried to dispose of her. Maybe Jay freaked and pinned it on him, and Adnan didn't feel like fighting it out of guilt or something.

Also WTF placed the anonymous call telling them to look into Adnan. She claims that she has guesses, but couldn't say.
I thought the same for a bit, except that Adnan would clearly be giving up everything he knew if so. And all the points about timing, etc. would still hold. As to your specific points, I've added some thoughts in ALL CAPS ABOVE.

The call to Neesha that has Sarah wondering has me wondering as well. I get the burden of prosecution, but the defense has to be able to explain some things too and that call has never gotten an explanation apparently.

- Jay's changing of the story so much with police and trials, mostly during the day. Seemed to change a lot with where he saw the body, where they were, etc.. this is the time that the cell records don't line up with his story too. (I think episode 4?) I THINK HIS CHANGING OF STORY IS 100% RELATED TO HIS NOT WANTING, INITIALLY AND POSSIBLY LATER, TO ADMIT TO HOW INVOLVED HE REALLY WAS. IT CERTAINLY MAKES SENSE THAT HE WOULDN'T ADMIT TO HELPING BURY, ETC AND THAT HE EVOLVED HIS ADMISSIONS AS HE WENT ALONG.

- The timeline that they are basing this one is possible, but very tight (episode 5). Something like 3 minutes to murder her and put her in the trunk? in an OPEN BEST BUY PARKING LOT? MEH, DIDN'T PUT A LOT OF STOCK IN THIS, AS I THINK TIMING COULD BE OFF A BIT, PLUS THE 2:36 TIMEFRAME WAS BASED ON A CALL THAT JAY DIDN'T CONFIRM WAS "THE CALL"

- The letter from the girl stating that she saw him in the library at the time of the killing ALSO MEH TO ME, AS SHE SEEMED REALLY DESPERATE TO "INSERT" HERSELF INTO THIS AT THE BEGINNING, DESPERATE TO BE NOTICED BY EVEN SAYING "I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME BUT...", AND IF SHE IS SINCERE, SHE WELL COULD HAVE HER DAYS OFF.

- Jen's story about Jay freaking out and doubling back to get rid of the shovels and clothes even though he claimed he didn't have anything to do with it. THOUGHT HE ADMITTED LATER HE HELPED BURY THE BODY. :shrug:

It does seem like they were together that night, based on Kathy's (?) story and both of them verified that, and the cell pinged the tower by Leakin Park. Jenn said something about not knowing why Jay would help him (and also said something about unless he paid him or something). THIS WAS BULL#### IN MY OPINION AS THE SOCCER COACH AND OTHERS CONFIRMED THAT JAY WOULD "OFTEN" DROP ADNAN OFF FOR PRACTICE AND PICK HIM UP LATER--IS THAT THE BEHAVIOR OF SOMEONE WHO WASN'T A GOOD FRIEND? ALSO IF SO, WHY WOULD ADNAN'S PHONE BE MAKING SIX CALLS TO JAY'S FRIEND THAT DAY (UNLESS IT WAS CONFIRMED JAY HAD THE PHONE)? I am starting to think that Jay did it (possibly with Adnan's advance knowledge, and somewhere in the afternoon not at the Best Buy) and then both of them tried to dispose of her. Maybe Jay freaked and pinned it on him, and Adnan didn't feel like fighting it out of guilt or something.

I thought the same for a bit, except that Adnan would clearly be giving up everything he knew if so. And all the points about timing, etc. would still hold. As to your specific points, I've added some thoughts in ALL CAPS ABOVE.
But I thought a lot of the case against Adnan was Jay's testimony and supposedly lining up with the cell records. IMO it is fishy in the afternoon, but lines up more at night. Plus there wasn't a concrete reason why the 2:30 call was THE call to have Jay pick up Adnan. Just weird statements of Jay's where he seems to paint a pretty clear picture of what happened and where - the phone booth by Best Buy, the park where they went to smoke before track practice, etc..

Nothing else, this case is full of really unreliable narrators. Also, this is a story narrated to build up suspense. There could possibly be a 3rd person involved here that hasn't been introduced - the anonymous phone call and whoever they say Adnan talked to right before the police called when he was at Kathy's house.

Agree with there not being a lot of nuance. People have been convicted on less. I think that goes to Sarah's point in the last episode that what makes the story compelling is Adnan. He didn't take too kindly to that (since that is not going to get him out of prison), but there's a lot of truth in that statement.

Agree with there not being a lot of nuance. People have been convicted on less. I think that goes to Sarah's point in the last episode that what makes the story compelling is Adnan. He didn't take too kindly to that (since that is not going to get him out of prison), but there's a lot of truth in that statement.
Yeah, that part was really interesting. I'd never considered why Adnan would find that so annoying, but it makes sense.

Adnan, in general, just seems odd. Or maybe it's that he seems so normal. Sometimes, in their conversations, I forget that he's been in prison for 14 years for something he claims he didn't do. The tone sounds like they could just just as easily be discussing which season of The Wire is best. I'd think there'd be more anger/frustration in the tone, but I guess even if wrongly convicted, after 14 years you'd be pretty resigned to your fate.

But I thought a lot of the case against Adnan was Jay's testimony and supposedly lining up with the cell records. IMO it is fishy in the afternoon, but lines up more at night. Plus there wasn't a concrete reason why the 2:30 call was THE call to have Jay pick up Adnan. Just weird statements of Jay's where he seems to paint a pretty clear picture of what happened and where - the phone booth by Best Buy, the park where they went to smoke before track practice, etc..

Nothing else, this case is full of really unreliable narrators. Also, this is a story narrated to build up suspense. There could possibly be a 3rd person involved here that hasn't been introduced - the anonymous phone call and whoever they say Adnan talked to right before the police called when he was at Kathy's house.
Agree with that last paragraph completely.

Re the 2:36 call, Jay didn't claim that was THE call--he said it was about an hour later. I do agree with your initial statement that Jay was more involved than he admits. I think that's why his story changed. I just don't think that the roles were switched completely though.

Agree with that last paragraph completely.

Re the 2:36 call, Jay didn't claim that was THE call--he said it was about an hour later. I do agree with your initial statement that Jay was more involved than he admits. I think that's why his story changed. I just don't think that the roles were switched completely though.
Nope, that was more from the prosecution's side. I think for Jay's story to hold up in court, the 2:36 has to be THE call, or it breaks down. That requires him to get out of school, get Hae, kill her, and call Jay in about 25 mins. To me that seems way out there, and I would have problems convicting him if I was on the jury. I thought Jay told the cops initially that he was smoking with Jen and didn't get a call until 3 something. To me the afternoon timeline is too big of a mess.

Will be interesting to get your take on him not calling Hay and on the Neesha call.
Him not calling Hae does seem odd. But, it still could be a case of him thinking/knowing something happened to her, but not actually being the one who killed her.

ETA: his reaction to Sarah asking him about was really weird though: "Oh, are you asking me a question?"

Neesha call is also odd. My main question that was never brought up - is Adnan the only one of their group who knew Neesha? They say that Jay evidently didn't know her, but does somebody else in the group know her that could have been with Jay that afternoon?

Read a post online that said what I was trying to say a little better. I will paraphrase. Sarah is telling a story. She has spent hours on this and I think a year researching the case. IMO I don't buy that they would fire up this podcast if there wasn't a story there. I think the 3 likely outcomes:

1. We find out that Adnan did it, and that we have the right person behind bars.

2. Adnan is innocent, and somebody who we have been introduced to might have done it.

3. Adnan is innocent, and some person not introduced to us did it.

As far as story telling, I think #2 makes for the best story. #3 is good, but we would get some deus ex machina at the end of the podcast and that would be a tad frustrating. Just don't buy #1, which is probably why I am more willing to look for ways that Adnan might not have been involved with the actual killing.

Read a post online that said what I was trying to say a little better. I will paraphrase. Sarah is telling a story. She has spent hours on this and I think a year researching the case. IMO I don't buy that they would fire up this podcast if there wasn't a story there. I think the 3 likely outcomes:

1. We find out that Adnan did it, and that we have the right person behind bars.

2. Adnan is innocent, and somebody who we have been introduced to might have done it.

As far as story telling, I think #2 makes for the best story. #3 is good, but we would get some deus ex machina at the end of the podcast and that would be a tad frustrating. Just don't buy #1, which is probably why I am more willing to look for ways that Adnan might not have been involved with the actual killing.
I think we'll be left with no concrete conclusion.

I think we'll be left not being sure one way or another. Just a guess, but I think that's the point too. That you can rarely be sure what happened, and there remains a possibility that an innocent man is rotting away the rest of his life in jail.

New episode today. They're getting them up in time for the Thursday AM commute now, I'm guessing due to breathless demand from people like me who don't want to wait until the end of the day to listen. This thing has gotten ridiculously popular. Slate is all in, they've even got podcasts analyzing podcasts there.

As far as the new episode ...

I'd been wondering all along why they hadn't involved a law school innocence project, so I guess I don't have to wonder about that any more, but otherwise not much doing this episode. Surprisingly short, too, which was kind of a bummer. Sounds like maybe next week we get into the mystery of Jay, though, which has been my #1 question all along. What would be his motivation to lie? And if he's not lying why did he suddenly decide to come forward? Why would be casually agree to go along with Adnan in the first place if they weren't good friends? None of it makes sense without answers from that guy.

For my listening pleasure, it seems like this episode was a misstep. All we get is that somebody else doesn't think Adnan did it, but don't get much else. Also, now I would rather follow the other group instead of hearing Sarah talk about Jay next week. I hope this doesn't end with the other group swooping in the last episode. I know it's a nit pick, but if this is a 'story' podcast, stick with her story. Just thought it was odd they introduce this professional group and not give us much at all this episode.

Thought this episode was filler. It's cool that another, more "legal" organization is taking a look but it didn't need half an hour to cover.

For my listening pleasure, it seems like this episode was a misstep. All we get is that somebody else doesn't think Adnan did it, but don't get much else. Also, now I would rather follow the other group instead of hearing Sarah talk about Jay next week. I hope this doesn't end with the other group swooping in the last episode. I know it's a nit pick, but if this is a 'story' podcast, stick with her story. Just thought it was odd they introduce this professional group and not give us much at all this episode.
Yeah, there wasn't much meat this week. But I thought they at least added some perspective I hadn't considered. For example, Adnan's stumbling over the details of the day seemed shady to me and Sarah Koenig and probably most listeners, until the innocence project woman pointed out that's exactly what you'd expect from an innocent person, not a guilty person who knows what happened and what they can and cannot say to protect their alibi.

They're also coming at it from a much different perspective. The podcast is trying to tell a a story; they're interested in justice. I figure there's a difference between "what happened?" and "should Adnan be in prison?" From my very limited perspective I'd give two different answers to those questions, guessing lots of other people feel the same. I assume the podcast will keep pursuing the former while the innocence project focuses more on the latter.

Yeah, there wasn't much meat this week. But I thought they at least added some perspective I hadn't considered. For example, Adnan's stumbling over the details of the day seemed shady to me and Sarah Koenig and probably most listeners, until the innocence project woman pointed out that's exactly what you'd expect from an innocent person, not a guilty person who knows what happened and what they can and cannot say to protect their alibi.

They're also coming at it from a much different perspective. The podcast is trying to tell a a story; they're interested in justice. I figure there's a difference between "what happened?" and "should Adnan be in prison?" From my very limited perspective I'd give two different answers to those questions, guessing lots of other people feel the same. I assume the podcast will keep pursuing the former while the innocence project focuses more on the latter.
I get that, I guess my point is more that personally I would find the podcast with the people today more interesting. They have the professional way to attack the case, and they seem to go through the same thoughts that Sarah goes. I know I am going to be disappointed if it is just Sarah next week and the podcast is the same as it was before. If they are able to intertwine the two things, great. I just feel like this week sort of undercut what she was doing a little. She has said all along that she is just a researcher out of her element a bit. When it was JUST that, I was better with it. I guess I am just more interested in what the others are doing now.

Users who are viewing this thread