What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Fire Stick $19 for Prime (Alt. to Chromecast/Roku) (1 Viewer)

Just got mine. I had no idea that I was going to have to plug this thing into the wall to power it. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of this ultra portable small form factor stick that plugs right into the TV?
Where do you think it would get power from? Magic? Most people plug the USB cord into their TV.

Just got mine. I had no idea that I was going to have to plug this thing into the wall to power it. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of this ultra portable small form factor stick that plugs right into the TV?
Where do you think it would get power from? Magic? Most people plug the USB cord into their TV.
I thought HDMI could put out some power similar to USB. My HDMI switch doesn't have to be plugged in and that thing was made by some no-names in China.

I thought HDMI could put out some power similar to USB. My HDMI switch doesn't have to be plugged in and that thing was made by some no-names in China.
It's basically a mechanical switch. It sends the signal left or right.

OK so I'm way late to the game here. I have not purchased any of these new fangled devices but I would LOVE to kick Directv to the curb. Have a laundry list of questions and hoping you guys can help me out:

- Have Amazon Prime membership primarily for the shipping benefit, but have been exploring other stuff.

- have iphones and ipad, and kindle fire but rarely use them for more than phone and apps, exploring streaming on fire.

- no wifi issues anywhere in the house using current devices

- watching local NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX for live sports is fine (root for local teams). Don't mind switching inputs.

- biggest hurdle seems to be (apparent) lack of ESPN, ESPN news, NFLN etc. I don't get a lot of time to watch sports so SportsCenter is my go to.

- we watch a lot of DIY, HGTV, discovery channel type programming, movies would be nice but not required.

Considering any of the available choices including pairing some together to get what I want. Hate monthly expenses, but realize some are unavoidable. Currently pay about $110/mo for Directv plus the annual Prime membership.

1. Does SportsCenter or like programming exist on any? My understanding is some of the devices allow you to watch yesterday's programming (Roku maybe) so it really comes down to sports highlight shows.

2. Is there a quick cheatsheet somewhere as to what all of them offer?

3. Which have monthly subscriptions?

4. Which have a per device/tv purchase? are any buy one central unit (I understand subscription based ones- netflix are log in and done)

5. Do all tvs need to be internet ready? Can an old school tube/projection tv be used? For inet ready, assuming I need device still if you guys are ordering multiples.

6. Should I expect download times and buffering?

7. Apple fanboys- WTF is the cloud? I know it's 'online' storage vs old school RAM but are only apple devices able to access? Assuming it's only apple stuff.

So ours came in over the weekend.

I like the UI and it's nice having a remote. But hole hell is the video quality poor. We had a Chromecast hooked up to the same TV and never had any issues with video quality or buffering issues. But the Fire Stick looks terrible and takes for ever to buffer. Anyone else having similar issues?
Works great with Amazon Instant Video (not surprisingly). We were having problems with excessive buffering with our Samsung TV app, and the stick has no issues.

Pretty slick navigation, too.

So ours came in over the weekend.

I like the UI and it's nice having a remote. But hole hell is the video quality poor. We had a Chromecast hooked up to the same TV and never had any issues with video quality or buffering issues. But the Fire Stick looks terrible and takes for ever to buffer. Anyone else having similar issues?
That's not good, considering the main reason I ordered this (haven't gotten it yet) was the hope that it would have a stronger wifi signal than my Roku, which constantly buffers when streaming through Plex.
I had problems with buffering when I was trying to watch something from Prime Video and image quality issues when watching a YouTube video. Had a Chromecast connected in the same spot and never had any issues.
Have not had any of these issues. :shrug:
Weird. I don't know what is causing it. I mean I had my Chromecast plugged into the same TV in the same spot and never had an issue with buffering or video quality, so I don't think it's my router. I may try moving it to a different TV and see what happens.
I haven't tried youtube, but Prime Video is basically useless for me. Constantly buffering. Netflix works pretty well though. I have an older router, but I've never had issues like this.

We're considering returning it at this point.

Hooked mine up last night. I use amazon cloud storage for photos and music. Nice to have access to all of that on the bedroom TV. Everything else worked great. No buffering, even with my crappy DSL. I tried hooking the power up to a USB on the Directv receiver and it told me that I did not have sufficient power. I need it to be semi portable so i just let the power cord dangle down to the plug. No big deal to me.

Can't figure out how to set the parental controls. I go to settings, parental controls, then hit select to toggle to on, but nothing happens. Doesn't ask me to set a password or anything.

Also, I seem to be having a lot of trouble getting/staying connected to my wifi. I had to select my network about a dozen times, and then buffering was bad while streaming.

Biggest problem with mine is that now my wife stays up half the night every night watching old episodes of The Good Wife on Netflix.

Also, I seem to be having a lot of trouble getting/staying connected to my wifi. I had to select my network about a dozen times, and then buffering was bad while streaming.
Mine was doing that for awhile but has seemed to be okay as of late. Not really sure what changed though.

I thought the same thing you did and had the same reaction. I figured it would self-power, too.

Can't figure out how to set the parental controls. I go to settings, parental controls, then hit select to toggle to on, but nothing happens. Doesn't ask me to set a password or anything.

When you first set it up, it should have asked you if you wanted to set up a Parental Control PIN.

Hooked mine up last night. I use amazon cloud storage for photos and music. Nice to have access to all of that on the bedroom TV. Everything else worked great. No buffering, even with my crappy DSL. I tried hooking the power up to a USB on the Directv receiver and it told me that I did not have sufficient power. I need it to be semi portable so i just let the power cord dangle down to the plug. No big deal to me.
I have not gotten mine to work with USB power. Have to have it plugged in to the power adapter.

I thought the same thing you did and had the same reaction. I figured it would self-power, too.
Chromecast also requires power but I have not had a problem with Chromecast working from USB supplied power.

Which one do you guys prefer?

Chromecast or Firestick

Chromecast is $29.95 today through 1saleaday today

Firestick is $39 thru Amazon

Which one do you guys prefer?

Chromecast or Firestick

Chromecast is $29.95 today through 1saleaday today

Firestick is $39 thru Amazon
Both have their pros and cons.

Chromecast is great if you have a tablet/phone handy at all times. Seems to generally load faster too.

Fire Stick is nice since it comes with a remote and you don't need a phone/tablet to utilize everything.

The remote for Firestick gives it the edge IMO both for convenience and for the simplicity for non-tech folks.

can sideload XBMC/Kodi onto the firestick and watch just about any movie or tv show or live sports you want.

works great.

(I didn't see HBOGO as an option on the firestick yet, but it is on chromecast)

Last edited by a moderator:

When you first set it up, it should have asked you if you wanted to set up a Parental Control PIN.
It did. I kept hitting yes, but it wouldn't do anything. So I just selected skip for later. There should be a way to set it up now.

can sideload XBMC/Kodi onto the firestick and watch just about any movie or tv show or live sports you want.

works great.

(I didn't see HBOGO as an option on the firestick yet, but it is on chromecast
Can you unpack this please?

Explain it to me like I'm GM trying to install Netflix

works great.

I'd recommend googling it, but it's pretty awesome.

http://liliputing.com/2014/11/install-xbmckodi-amazon-fire-tv-stick.html

http://kodi.tv/about/

tons of add ons for Kodi that let you watch tv shows, movies, sports, etc.

How is HBO Go always so slow to get their app ready for new devices? This is actually pretty fast for them, but Netflix has their app ready on the launch of pretty much every device.

Spent about three hours yesterday trying to figure out how to get a browser working on the Fire Stick. Man, Amazon really goes out of their way to keep you from leaving their commerce sphere.

So if I am having connection problems, would that be a problem with my wireless router, or my actual incoming connection?

I guess I need to upgrade to fiberoptics.

So if I am having connection problems, would that be a problem with my wireless router, or my actual incoming connection?

I guess I need to upgrade to fiberoptics.
I was having connection problems when I had it hooked up to my TV in the family room, our router is in the basement. When I moved it to the TV in the basement, all the connection problems went away. I'm guessing it was just too far from the router. Which is weird because my Chromecast was hooked up in the family room and never had any connection problems. So try moving it to a different TV and see what happens.

How is HBO Go always so slow to get their app ready for new devices? This is actually pretty fast for them, but Netflix has their app ready on the launch of pretty much every device.
I bet because most users are freeloaders gaming the system.

works great.

Thanks Aaron

works great.

Can't like this enough. Freaking awesome.

I have 2 fire sticks and one fire TV. Their sole purpose is to run Kodi (and occasionally Hulu and Netflix). We completely cut the cord a few months ago and don't miss cable TV one bit.

I've got to say, my Firestick sucks. Freezes all the time despite being about 30 feet from my wireless router. I complained to Amazon about it but they blamed the apps. 

I've got to say, my Firestick sucks. Freezes all the time despite being about 30 feet from my wireless router. I complained to Amazon about it but they blamed the apps. 
Hmmm. By freeze do you mean buffer? I had one in a bedroom about 50 feet away from the router in my living room and it worked fine. 

Hmmm. By freeze do you mean buffer? I had one in a bedroom about 50 feet away from the router in my living room and it worked fine. 
Nope. Same issue here. About once per day, sometimes when FF or Rewinding, it'll completely freeze. It's in the same room as my router and my internet speed is very high. No other cause other than a faulty device. It's pretty frustrating, a lot of fire stick owners have the same problem and their customer service has no resolution whatsoever...I think they just know that a bunch of them have this flaw.

Nope. Same issue here. About once per day, sometimes when FF or Rewinding, it'll completely freeze. It's in the same room as my router and my internet speed is very high. No other cause other than a faulty device. It's pretty frustrating, a lot of fire stick owners have the same problem and their customer service has no resolution whatsoever...I think they just know that a bunch of them have this flaw.
Exactly. Freezing. I get buffering a lot too, but can live stream 10 feet beyond where it sits all day long and no issues. Customer service told me to update my apps and clear cache which is the streaming equivalent to asking someone to reboot a PC and say a prayer to resolve an issue, but having no plan B. Plan A is not working and now I barely use it. I grab one of the wireless cable boxes from inside and connect it to the TV on the deck. 

If I were you guys I'd get a Fire TV box to replace the stick. It's so much better and faster it's silly. Once I got one (used but like new on eBay for $70) all my stick issues disappeared. Just make sure you get the Gen 2 with the longer remote w/alexa built in or wait for the new box/cube to drop around xmas.

I only use my stick for traveling now.

Yep.  have Fire TV boxes for all my TVs. :wub:   

Although, I'm not happy all the next-gen Fire products are Alexa included without an option.   

Users who are viewing this thread