What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the internet making us smarter or dumber? (1 Viewer)

FlapJacks

Footballguy
Smarter

-- readily accessible information to research any topic

-- harder for people to lie (every speech instantly accessible)

-- University research and collaboration easier

dumber

- twitter

- facebook - where a picture of a piece of cake passes for meaningful discourse

- instagram

- people doing stupid stuff so they can get that selfie

- has taken being a couch potato to new level with people spending countless hours poring over tv shows

One More Reason To Reach For A Paper Book Before BedE-readers may make it particularly hard to get a good night's sleep, according to research out this week.

A study that followed every nightly twitch, turn and snore of 12 volunteers for a couple weeks found that those who read from an iPad before hitting the sack had a harder time falling asleep, spent less time in a crucial phase of sleep, and were less alert the next day.

This is cause for concern because sleep disruptions may be associated with a variety of health problems, according to the study's leader, Anne-Marie Chang, who studies sleep and circadian rhythms at the Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston. "Sleep deficiency is associated with negative consequences for health," including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Chang says.

Previous research has indicated that exposure to certain types of light seems to disrupt sleep more than others, Chang says. Devices that emit shorter-wavelength, blue light might be especially problematic, she and her team suspected, because it has the greatest effect on the hormone melatonin, which regulates sleep.

"We knew that light in the evening affects circadian rhythms and affects sleep and alertness," Chang says. "But we wanted to test if light from light-emitting devices, such as e-readers, which were gaining in popularity, would have the same effect if people were using them to read before bedtime."

So the researchers asked 12 healthy young people to spend a couple of weeks in a sleep lab. For five nights, they read what they considered to be relaxing material on an iPad for four hours before going to sleep. For another five nights, they read the same kind of material from books made of paper.

In the study published in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers found that on the nights participants read from iPads, it took longer for them to fall asleep and they spent less time in an important phase of slumber known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.

"They also reported feeling less sleepy in the evening but more sleepy the following morning," Chang says.

The team also discovered that the light from the iPad was suppressing and delaying the production of melatonin.

Based on the findings and others, Chang recommends that if people want to read before bed, they should consider devices that don't emit light — or just pull out an old-fashioned paper book.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/12/26/372914271/one-more-reason-to-reach-for-a-paper-book-before-bed

I can't use e-readers. Just doesn't feel right. I do all my reading and posting here on a phone, but the idea of relaxing reading a book just needs an actual book.

I can't use e-readers. Just doesn't feel right. I do all my reading and posting here on a phone, but the idea of relaxing reading a book just needs an actual book.
I agree not a fan, especially late at night if actually reading. But in general I love books as actual books. But I do find going to sleep with a book a lot more relaxing than reading the internet or an ebook.

One More Reason To Reach For A Paper Book Before BedE-readers may make it particularly hard to get a good night's sleep, according to research out this week.

A study that followed every nightly twitch, turn and snore of 12 volunteers for a couple weeks found that those who read from an iPad before hitting the sack had a harder time falling asleep, spent less time in a crucial phase of sleep, and were less alert the next day.

This is cause for concern because sleep disruptions may be associated with a variety of health problems, according to the study's leader, Anne-Marie Chang, who studies sleep and circadian rhythms at the Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston. "Sleep deficiency is associated with negative consequences for health," including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Chang says.

Previous research has indicated that exposure to certain types of light seems to disrupt sleep more than others, Chang says. Devices that emit shorter-wavelength, blue light might be especially problematic, she and her team suspected, because it has the greatest effect on the hormone melatonin, which regulates sleep.

"We knew that light in the evening affects circadian rhythms and affects sleep and alertness," Chang says. "But we wanted to test if light from light-emitting devices, such as e-readers, which were gaining in popularity, would have the same effect if people were using them to read before bedtime."

So the researchers asked 12 healthy young people to spend a couple of weeks in a sleep lab. For five nights, they read what they considered to be relaxing material on an iPad for four hours before going to sleep. For another five nights, they read the same kind of material from books made of paper.

In the study published in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers found that on the nights participants read from iPads, it took longer for them to fall asleep and they spent less time in an important phase of slumber known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.

"They also reported feeling less sleepy in the evening but more sleepy the following morning," Chang says.

The team also discovered that the light from the iPad was suppressing and delaying the production of melatonin.

Based on the findings and others, Chang recommends that if people want to read before bed, they should consider devices that don't emit light — or just pull out an old-fashioned paper book.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/12/26/372914271/one-more-reason-to-reach-for-a-paper-book-before-bed
This is why I use a Kindle ;)

Apple is the devil

Last edited by a moderator:
Adults?? Both. Smarter in some areas, dumber in some.

Kids?? Destroying their social skills. Though not sure just how much this will matter a few years down the road since most people will have #### for social skills.

Information is more readily accessible, but the accuracy is questionable. In the past you had fewer sources and questionable motives at times, but there was also an intent at journalistic integrity. There is even less of that today and makes the notion of some "information" questionable at best.

Physical books are more than the words they contain. They're also tools to stimulate your senses and adjust your thinking. When I don't feel well I'll stare at a page forever before realizing I haven't absorbed a word. When that happens I try to understand why - what's gotten in my way? On the other hand, there are books I can take in effortlessly no matter how awful I'm feeling. Why do those books draw me in? I think it may be a sort of mental tuning. It's the feeling of the paper against my fingers, that familiar smell of pulp and glue, the momentary stimulation to my brain as I turn each page. These sensations regulate and focus my brain. They make it work better.

- Makishima

I agree not a fan, especially late at night if actually reading. But in general I love books as actual books. But I do find going to sleep with a book a lot more relaxing than reading the internet or an ebook.
I can't watch a tv show on a computer. I need a real tv.

Users who are viewing this thread