What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Profit on CNBC (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
Anyone watch this show?

I saw a few episodes last season but have been watching them all now. Wow, some people are horrible at business.

Interesting show and I like how Marcus doesn't beat around the bush.

The Artistic Stitch episode was only a few block from my house.

This show somewhat depresses me. I wonder how much of it is staged; however, listening to Marcus on CNBC in the mornings he seems to be legit. How can people so inept make so much money in their businesses? I screwed up in life somewhere.

The episode with Pete's Candy is one of my favorites as the previous "investor" gets :own3d: by the end of the show.

This show somewhat depresses me. I wonder how much of it is staged; however, listening to Marcus on CNBC in the mornings he seems to be legit. How can people so inept make so much money in their businesses? I screwed up in life somewhere.

The episode with Pete's Candy is one of my favorites as the previous "investor" gets :own3d: by the end of the show.
Haven't seen Pete's Candy yet. I'll look for it.

It seems like most of them are in debt and are failing miserably. Haven't seen anyone that would depress me yet.

You watch the one that made trailers yet? They made them in Waycross, GA, shipped them to Tampa to be detailed and back to Waycross to be sold. All because the owners didn't want to live in GA. How on Earth they managed to stay in business and ever turn a profit is beyond me.

I've only seen about a half dozen of them so far, not the trailer one.

My favorite was the wine store. The guy was crying like a 12 year old. Had to call his mom to make decisions. That was a great turnaround.

I don't think he would be there if they were making so much money.. i think it's because they are going broke most of the time.

The small business failure rate is extremely high because most people shouldn't be opening a business... and most ideas are bad... it's why franchises have a much lower failure rate.

You watch the one that made trailers yet? They made them in Waycross, GA, shipped them to Tampa to be detailed and back to Waycross to be sold. All because the owners didn't want to live in GA. How on Earth they managed to stay in business and ever turn a profit is beyond me.
:loco:

Just watched this one. Definitely my new favorite episode. What a trainwreck.

Love this show. The Key Lime Pie might be my favorite. As much as I like the trainwrecks, the good ending, feel good stories are better.

Multiple lawsuits around A. Stein Meats. Hated those guys at Skullduggery. I liked the musclehead guy and his wife with the gym. The sign guy was ok, but he was a scammer. Sweet Pete has a dark side. Liked the Car Cash episode.

We're obviously not seeing the team of people helping him behind the scenes, from planning, construction, marketing and whatever but it's his show and he is good. He hasn't taken #### from anyone. I was surprised by the whole Stein Meats right from the beginning. That's an old school, connected kind of place. Not saying mob, although I wouldn't be surprised, but it wasn't some little mom and pop place like most of them. He's not going to redo that business model but he liked the Brooklyn Burger concept. The secretary featured in the episode was fired and is suing. She brought Marcus to the company and I would love to know how she sold the show to those guys. Big mistake but big fish for Marcus.

I just like how he reimagines a business. Most of the episodes deal with the owner not really realizing what that means and the struggle with letting go of control. You called him because you are about to go under. Let him do his job. But I guess putting your hands up and saying "tell me what to do" doesn't make for exciting episodes.

Finally saw this one. That guy was a piece of ####. Completely using everyone and then thinking he could cash in. Yes he got completely owned as they shrunk him out of the business but I have to give him credit for how he took it. It probably wasn't the original footage and part of the deal was to reshoot that scene but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

For those who know Crumbs, he bought them out of bankruptcy with another investment group and is expanding the offerings

to include a lot of Profit products, including Key Lime, Sweet Pete's, Mr Green Tea.

This is a great show. Different than shark tank but next level really. And it seems to be legit. The updates show (which he calls a "progress report") was really outstanding. They didn't pull any punches that's for sure.

I like how he talks about it all being about the people. He really brings a lot of heart to leadership ~ something that can be lacking in the current stock market driven big corporate culture that many of us know, where bottom line is the highest good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most watched show for me in awhile. We all love the inevitable ##### slap. But he's so smooth about it, it's great. Always level-headed. Never comes across as the bad guy. Lets them dig their own grave.

Very good at dissecting personalities. Adjusts accordingly. The second chance stuff is endearing. And appears to work at times.

For those who know Crumbs, he bought them out of bankruptcy with another investment group and is expanding the offerings

to include a lot of Profit products, including Key Lime, Sweet Pete's, Mr Green Tea.
I remember reading about it possibly happening but didn't know it did. Interesting that he's putting those in the locations since he's usually not a fan of that.

Watching the Progress report show now (avail online) with some interesting updates.

• The trailer people look like they finally started to get their #### together. Not working with him, but seem to have taken some of his advice.

• As mentioned above, A Stein closed and reneged on the Brooklyn Burger deal. Currently involved in a lawsuit.

• Petes Sweets is opening a huge location and is killing it in online sales

The Toy guys were total A-holes....I would have thrown him out the window of the NASCAR conference room for the #### he pulled.

Psychopav said:
jamny said:
glvsav37 said:
A Stein closed and reneged on the Brooklyn Burger deal. Currently involved in a lawsuit.
I think they're still in business.
The progress report show covered this. They went bankrupt and another group bought the rights iirc.
Ah, ok.

I have the progress report on my dvr until I see them all.

Can't seem to find season 1. Not on demand or the show website.

Did anyone else watch this week's episode, Fuel Foods? Pretty crazy ending. Marcus saved from a bad investment by doing a Google search. I wonder what kind of advance due diligence is done on these companies by Lemonis or producers in advance to at least try to identify bad bets.

Did anyone else watch this week's episode, Fuel Foods? Pretty crazy ending. Marcus saved from a bad investment by doing a Google search. I wonder what kind of advance due diligence is done on these companies by Lemonis or producers in advance to at least try to identify bad bets.
WTF ...just watched the one where the meat guys had a lot more debt than they let on and he backed way the #### off and just went with the Brooklyn Burgers portion.

I've watched a bunch of these shows.... Not a bad take If you like the business of business.

I'm sure like many other "reality" shows some of the tension is staged because they need some in an hour long show.

Most watched show for me in awhile. We all love the inevitable ##### slap. But he's so smooth about it, it's great. Always level-headed. Never comes across as the bad guy. Lets them dig their own grave.

Very good at dissecting personalities. Adjusts accordingly. The second chance stuff is endearing. And appears to work at times.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Just watched this episode. That was crazy. I don't see how anyone could support that company after seeing that.

Just watched this episode. That was crazy. I don't see how anyone could support that company after seeing that.
"The investor who owns the majority of the company seems to be behind a Ponzi scheme and the SEC froze his assets. Did I forget to mention that?" (Though, technically, IIRC, he claimed he just knew the guy had some fin. issues and chose not to seek further info.)

A lot of people didn't make these businesses successful themselves. They either inherited it, or had some investors. I thought the same thing until I did some research.

Lots of people are surprisingly blind to their own inadequacies. We run a franchise company - sometimes it's truly shocking how stupid or short sighted or small minded our franchisees can be. And many of them were very successful in their careers.

Watched the 240sweet episode yesterday. Wow, what a psycho ##### that woman was. They've since had to delete their facebook page and have been hammered with 1-star reviews on other sites.

No way I could have handled it as well as Marcus when she got in his face like that. She really has serious problems

Most watched show for me in awhile.  We all love the inevitable ##### slap.  But he's so smooth about it, it's great.  Always level-headed.  Never comes across as the bad guy.  Lets them dig their own grave.

Very good at dissecting personalities.  Adjusts accordingly.  The second chance stuff is endearing.  And appears to work at times.

Yep.

All these reality shows have tons of staging to them but this one seems to have a bit more unfabricated reality to them with the personal back stories on how these people got into their situations.
Really enjoy Marcus's ability to communicate what he wants and needs from these people.

comfortably numb said:
Yep.

All these reality shows have tons of staging to them but this one seems to have a bit more unfabricated reality to them with the personal back stories on how these people got into their situations.
Really enjoy Marcus's ability to communicate what he wants and needs from these people.
Plus there are big losses too, which just adds to the realism factor for me. Nice seeing a flop every here and there on a show.

I have a few episodes left from the last season but it's clear that the show has run its course. Everyone knows how to play it now. Just shut up, take the deal and Marcus will hook you up. In the beginning, when most people didn't know him, there would be some pushback but now everyone knows to play along. Rarely any drama.

The soundproofing company really annoyed me. I know a bit about the business and it was clear these guys didn't know what they were doing and had a bogus product and I was surprised Marcus bought into it.

I have a few episodes left from the last season but it's clear that the show has run its course. Everyone knows how to play it now. Just shut up, take the deal and Marcus will hook you up. In the beginning, when most people didn't know him, there would be some pushback but now everyone knows to play along. Rarely any drama.

The soundproofing company really annoyed me. I know a bit about the business and it was clear these guys didn't know what they were doing and had a bogus product and I was surprised Marcus bought into it.
I'm amazed these shows still  hang on.

The worst has to be undercover boss.

I know the way rumors spread around my job. If there was someone walking around with a camera few following the "new" guy...

I haven't watched in awhile, but caught the episodes from this season that ran over 4th of July. Seems to have switched focus from retail outlets he can expand to products he can sell in stores he already has. Still like him, but LOL that he is opening luxury "Marcus" stores.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180516006515/en/Marcus-Lemonis-Fashion-Group-Expands-MARCUS-Retail

Also Julie, who won The Partner, finally showed up in an episode or two (at least I think it was her) and wasn't even acknowledged.

Users who are viewing this thread