What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
Had some time today so I figured I'd give this a first crack. Lots of moving parts still but always fun to forecast.

1. Oak - DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska - most project Williams here but I like Gregory more as a pure pass rusher and that is what's today's NFL is about. Probably can't go wrong either way here.

2. Jax - OT Andrus Peat, Stanford - I think Jax will trade this pick if they land here to a QB needy team but it's too early to start worrying about that. Better value is on the table than a OT here but Jax is wise to build around their young franchise QB.

3. TB - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon - the writing is on the wall that TB is going QB early and like it or not, I don't particularly agree, Mariota is the current consensus top QB.

4. Tenn - DT Leonard Williams, USC - strong value here as Tenn takes the BPA. Williams can be moved around the DL and Tenn will find a use for his skills.

5. NYJ - QB Jameis Winston, FSU - this is the team I'd probably project to move up to Jax spot so they can get ahead of TB and select their top QB.

6. Wash - OT Brandon Scheriff, Iowa - Wash has all sorts of problems right now but during up the Oline has to be among the top that needs addressed. They've really only got 1 quality starter on the entire unit. At least that guy is an All Pro caliber player, though.

7. NYG - OLB Shaq Thompson, Wash - upgrade to their pass rush and edge. Similar path to last years Barr and similar athlete.

8. Car - OT Cedric Ogbuehi, TAM - once the top OT prospect in this class, Ogbuehi has seen his stock drop. He could change that this offseason. Car is desperate to upgrade the oline and takes the chance on him.

9. Minn - DE Shane Ray, Mizz - Minn continues to build on defense and adds a great pass rusher to their blossoming front 7.

10. NO - DE/OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson - nice fit for NO as Beasley can play outside in their 3/4 scheme. He adds much needed youth and athleticism to their front 7.

11. Chi - S Landon Collins, Bama - no pick is easier to slot than this one, if he falls this far. Chi needs a S badly. Collins is the best S in the past several years.

12. St. L - WR Amari Cooper, Bama - Britt has been solid this year but St. L needs a true WR1 of the future. Luckily Cooper falls in their lap.

13. Hou - OT Lael Collons, LSU - this could easily become a QB but right now I have a hard time placing one here due to value. Hou needs to upgrade their oline and will do so with Collins.

14. Clev (via Buf) - WR DeVante Parker, Louisville - Clev has the luxury of back to back picks thanks to last years trade with Buf and will take this opportunity to snag a top WR on their board. Right now that's Parker for me.

15. Clev - ILB Benardrick McKinney, Miss St. - ILB has been a weakness for a few years for Clev. They looks to address that finally.

16. Sea - DE Shawn Oakman, Baylor - Sea's front 7 isn't the same as it was last year and they so play aren't creating the pressure they once did. They look to solve and for now I'll just give them the highest rated DE on the board.

17. SD - CB Marcus Peters, Wash - yes, SD took a CB early last year but they still have a need. Peters is my top CB right now and has great natural cover skills.

18. Mia - CB PJ Williams, FSU - another CB with tremendous natural ability. Mia could look oline here as well but their isn't value.

19. SF - DE Dante Fowler Jr., Florida - youth is needed up front for SF and Fowler can play a few different roles for them.

20. Balt - RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin - the injury to Gurley could mean Gordon is the top RB taken. He has first round talent and Balt has a need.

21. Atl - CB Trea Waynes, MSU - it's crazy that Atl could move from here to a top 10 pick in a weeks time. Unfortunately someone has to win the pathetic NFC south and currently that is Atl. This pick could vary greatly thanks to position.

22. Indy - OT TJ Clemmings, Pitt - Indy has to get better up front protecting Luck and they will look to invest in that early.

23. Pitt - CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon - the Pitt secondary is a mess and desperate for youth and athleticism.

24. Cinci - DT Eddie Goldman, FSU - I haven't a clue what Cinci does here. I think they'd like to take a DB but none available are worth the pick. So, BPA.

25. Det - DT Danny Shelton, Wash - both Suh and Fairely are FA this offseason and I don't expect both to be resigned. So, plug in a replacement.

26. Dal - DE/OLB Shilique Calhoun, MSU - Dal still has a lot of work to do on defense and it starts up front. Calhoun is a much needed help.

27. GB - DE/OLB Alvin Dupree, Kentucky - GB looks for youth and athletic ability to upgrade their front 7. Dupree is a great athlete and fits the bill.

28. Philly - CB Ronald Darby, FSU - Philly need guys who can cover, be it CB or S. Darby is my highest rated DB so he gets the pick.

29. KC - WR Jaelen Strong, ASU - no team has a weaker WR group than KC. Will they finally upgrade the position? I think so. Strong is a massive boost to this unit.

30. Den - TE/WR Devin Funchess, Michigan - Funchess is too good to fall out of round 1 IMO. Drops have hurt him but not that much. I'm not sure what position he will play but Den will find a home for him.

31. NE - RB Todd Gurley, UGA - like Funchess, Gurley is simply too good to not land in the 1st round. He's got top 10 talent but the knee injury will surly drop is draft stock. NE has a major need at RB and is willing to take a chance.

32. Arz - DE Nate Orchard, Utah - Arz is getting old up front and looks to get younger.

Could you imagine if Gurley ended up with the Patroits? Would you take Gordon (with a little competition) or Gurley (assuming he might need a year) with the #1 overall pick in a dynasty league?

10. NO - DE/OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson - nice fit for NO as Beasley can play outside in their 3/4 scheme. He adds much needed youth and athleticism to their front 7.
don't see it. obvious needs include CB opposite Lewis, OT, and C. they might look to add to the LB corps - specifically at ILB becasue hawthorne stnks- but that's just not something that is a R1 priority.

3. TB - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon - the writing is on the wall that TB is going QB early and like it or not, I don't particularly agree, Mariota is the current consensus top QB.

4. Tenn - DT Leonard Williams, USC - strong value here as Tenn takes the BPA. Williams can be moved around the DL and Tenn will find a use for his skills.

5. NYJ - QB Jameis Winston, FSU - this is the team I'd probably project to move up to Jax spot so they can get ahead of TB and select their top QB.

6. Wash - OT Brandon Scheriff, Iowa - Wash has all sorts of problems right now but during up the Oline has to be among the top that needs addressed. They've really only got 1 quality starter on the entire unit. At least that guy is an All Pro caliber player, though.
Really hoping the Titans find a way to lose more than Tampa does. I think they will and walk away with Mariotta unless someone makes a RG3 type deal to get him.

Winston should not go in the top 10, I wouldn't take him in the 1st. Most likely he goes in the late 1st to a team who trades for a late selection.

If Mariotta is gone, I'd prefer Sheriff to Williams but barely.

I would like to see the Rams take Winston if he is available with their 1st round pick.

I think he is the most pro ready QB in the class. True, he is a little immature but when he is on the field he is special.

I think he is the #1 QB coming out this year

I would like to see the Rams take Winston if he is available with their 1st round pick.

I think he is the most pro ready QB in the class. True, he is a little immature but when he is on the field he is special.

I think he is the #1 QB coming out this year
Winston is a high risk / high reward player. It would be a good fit in St. Louis, but Fisher likely doesn't want to deal with those issues again.

I'm against my teams taking immature, prima donna QBs.

Winston is tricky. He's the best QB talent in the draft, better than Mariota IMO. He has baggage, though. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point but I'm sure teams interested are going to do a lot of background work. What I do know is guys with his skill set are a hot commodity in the NFL. So dropping him out of the top 10 is tough.

Vikings signed Brian Robison to a 4 year extension in October of last year. And they paid Griffen a monster contract this year. Defensive end is one of the unlikeliest of picks.

Im from Nebraska, Gregory is really struggling this year IMO-- maybe its the expectations but he has Dion Jordan written all over him to me. Give me one of the OL #1 over him any day

Nice write up.

I think Winston lasts until the late 1st, when someone trades up.

I would trade the picks for the Patriots and Broncos. You can see how not having a running game is hurting the Broncos and the Pats love those guys that are versatile.

Could you imagine if Gurley ended up with the Patroits? Would you take Gordon (with a little competition) or Gurley (assuming he might need a year) with the #1 overall pick in a dynasty league?
cant imagine the pats take a rb with a bum knee in the first round.

Jacksonville takes an OT with the 1.02 for the second time in three years?
They haven't gotten it right yet. :shrug:
I don't think this would happen, even though Joeckel has not been great. God knows that they do need to do a better job of protecting their biggest investment and o-line is a need. I say this because I can't see David Caldwell moving on from his first draft pick after less than two years of play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams don't always draft for need. In fact I think its safe to say most teams draft to fit their scheme.

The Patriots have drafted 10 tight ends under Belichick. They also traded Logan Mankins for another. I'd pencil them in to take another in 2015 at some point....just cuz....

You can't just say "oh they've committed so many picks and free agent monies to that position, they won't select that position in the draft." They actually might if that position is vitally important to their scheme and they want to have a ton of depth there.

Hou needs a RT badly so cant argue the slot selection. Corner and free safety are big areas of need as well.

Hou needs a RT badly so cant argue the slot selection. Corner and free safety are big areas of need as well.
Every single mock draft has the Steelers picking a CB in round 1 every year, and they never do it. The OP did it again. He slotted a CB to the Steelers in the first round. Every mock does that every year. And they come away without one.

Its obviously just not a priority for the Steelers, but mocks keep making that mistake.

Every single mock draft has the Steelers picking a CB in round 1 every year, and they never do it. The OP did it again. He slotted a CB to the Steelers in the first round. Every mock does that every year. And they come away without one.

Its obviously just not a priority for the Steelers, but mocks keep making that mistake.
I haven't mocked Pitt to take a CB in any of the last 3 years.

Im from Nebraska, Gregory is really struggling this year IMO-- maybe its the expectations but he has Dion Jordan written all over him to me. Give me one of the OL #1 over him any day
My pick for the Raiders at #1 is Leonard Williams.
Seems Gregory at #1 is a growing theme. Since i posted this mock I've come across several other to do the same. Here's one. Note the first paragraph about what positions have gone #1 since 1997. Like I said, pass rushers are in demand. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24835839/nfl-mock-draft-could-randy-gregory-be-the-no-1-overall-pick

As I would probably take Gurley anyway, as a Pats fan I would be all over this.

Seems Gregory at #1 is a growing theme. Since i posted this mock I've come across several other to do the same. Here's one. Note the first paragraph about what positions have gone #1 since 1997. Like I said, pass rushers are in demand.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24835839/nfl-mock-draft-could-randy-gregory-be-the-no-1-overall-pick
Not pass rushers. Defensive Ends go #1.

Jadaveon Clowney

Mario Williams

Courtney Brown

Big difference between these guys and Randy Gregory? 35 pounds, at least. Gregory is skinny--skinny arms,skinny legs, no butt to speak of. By the time the draft rolls around, scouts will be wondering if he'll ever hold up against the rush. And against the pass, can he develop an inside move without getting engulfed by OTs that outweigh him by 100 freaking pounds. 3-4 OLB might be his best fit, and those guys definitely don't go #1.

saw Brett Hundley likely commin out - where does he fall in the QB/overall draft?

saw Brett Hundley likely commin out - where does he fall in the QB/overall draft picture?
He has the look of a player that scouts will say "Scouts are over the board with this guy" about, predictions about his draft position yo-yo throughout the offseason. My guess is he winds up nowhere close to the 1st round.

There's been so much bad tape, and things that are wrong with him (lack of pocket awareness, holding the ball too long) are fatal in the NFL.

Seems Gregory at #1 is a growing theme. Since i posted this mock I've come across several other to do the same. Here's one. Note the first paragraph about what positions have gone #1 since 1997. Like I said, pass rushers are in demand.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24835839/nfl-mock-draft-could-randy-gregory-be-the-no-1-overall-pick
Not pass rushers. Defensive Ends go #1.

Jadaveon Clowney

Mario Williams

Courtney Brown

Big difference between these guys and Randy Gregory? 35 pounds, at least. Gregory is skinny--skinny arms,skinny legs, no butt to speak of. By the time the draft rolls around, scouts will be wondering if he'll ever hold up against the rush. And against the pass, can he develop an inside move without getting engulfed by OTs that outweigh him by 100 freaking pounds. 3-4 OLB might be his best fit, and those guys definitely don't go #1.
He's a DE in the mold of Kearse. He can add weight to his frame and likely will. Hes about 6'5" 245 now. That's not big but it's not small. He's not an OLB but maybe gets moved there if the proper team is drafting him. Clowney wasn't an OLB either.

Or in the mold of Dion Jordan.

They all gain weight in the pros. Just part of maturing physically. Teams are going to have to decide if he an get to Aldon Smith weight. And keep it on. He's gonna be a projection. Someone drafting him is hoping he gets to a legit 260+ pounds.

Clowney shouldn't even be in the conversation because they are so different physically, and Clowney was probably the best DE prospect ever. Not fair to Gregory.

Or in the mold of Dion Jordan.

They all gain weight in the pros. Just part of maturing physically. Teams are going to have to decide if he an get to Aldon Smith weight. And keep it on. He's gonna be a projection. Someone drafting him is hoping he gets to a legit 260+ pounds.

Clowney shouldn't even be in the conversation because they are so different physically, and Clowney was probably the best DE prospect ever. Not fair to Gregory.
Clowney's in a league of his own as a prospect. No doubt. I'm not comparing him to Clowney. Just pointing out that if the skill is there and a team likes you, it doesn't really matter what position you supposed to play. They will take you. As for Gregory, I think Jordan is a poor example. He uses his hand far better than Jordan ever did, engages Olinemen better and also utilizes a more expansive repertoire of moves at the LOS; speed rush, bull rush, spin move and swim. He also plays with his hand in the ground a lot while Jordan hardly did. Jordan was used like an OLB more. Gregory also plays with better leverage.

I've never been a fan of Jordan and thought he was a terrible reach.

Jacksonville takes an OT with the 1.02 for the second time in three years?
They haven't gotten it right yet. :shrug:
I don't think this would happen, even though Joeckel has not been great. God knows that they do need to do a better job of protecting their biggest investment and o-line is a need. I say this because I can't see David Caldwell moving on from his first draft pick after less than two years of play.
I'm rethinking this here. Caldwell has to know that he's got to do something with this line.

Anyone highly familiar with ND want to tell me about Ronnie Stanley? He seems to be moving up boards rapidly recently some think he could be the top OT.

When Winston smashes Oregon his stock will go through the roof..he's the best Qb in this class and its not close..the guy is a winner, pure and simple.Mariota is a QB in a gimmick system..

Would the Jets take Winston at #5? I dont know, they really need offensive weapons like WR's and RB's..they might actually be better off trading WAY down and acquiring up draft picks..

Giants wont take a defensive player in the first round , they need to solidify that O-line..they might also be in the mood to trade down to acquire more picks..or, go for the throat, draft Cooper to pair him up with ODB..Cruz is shot, he was bad before he got hurt this season.

but you have to worry about Pugh's play of late..Beatty 30 next year, and hasnt lived up to his contract, he might be a June 1 cut..I'd be shocked if they didnt go for an offensive lineman to help protect Eli, he needs great O-line protection to be effective.

If you think Winston will be a good to very good NFL QB, then taking him is the move. Trading down for lots of picks is nice, but getting the QB is first.

If you think Winston will be a good to very good NFL QB, then taking him is the move. Trading down for lots of picks is nice, but getting the QB is first.
Exactly.No team thinks "We clearly need a QB, but we could use Wrs and Rbs even more!"

That's like saying "i desperately need a car, but I should spend this money on a bunch of spare tires first!"

14. Clev (via Buf) - WR DeVante Parker, Louisville - Clev has the luxury of back to back picks thanks to last years trade with Buf and will take this opportunity to snag a top WR on their board. Right now that's Parker for me.

15. Clev - ILB Benardrick McKinney, Miss St. - ILB has been a weakness for a few years for Clev. They looks to address that finally.

Browns might look at a wr, but their most pressing needs are at C because Mack will opt for free agency after 2015, and OL depth. A stud at ILB also makes sense.

Oh, and an NFL-caliber QB would be HUGE! Personally, I would try to acquire Cutler or RGIII. "Insane", you say? Consider that Hoyer is the best QB this team has had since they came back in 1999!

Browns might look at a wr, but their most pressing needs are at C because Mack will opt for free agency after 2015, and OL depth. A stud at ILB also makes sense.

Oh, and an NFL-caliber QB would be HUGE! Personally, I would try to acquire Cutler or RGIII. "Insane", you say? Consider that Hoyer is the best QB this team has had since they came back in 1999!
Could there actually be a bidding war for cutler?

Very doubtful. Dude is a head case and not a very good qb.

Yet still better than at least a handful of probable starters.

The only sure thing I know is qb's will be over drafted as always. Winston and Mariotta go top 5 for sure and then at least a couple more get over-hyped and climb up into the first round. It happens every year, this one will be no different regardless of the perceived lack of quality at the position.

17th best QB rating this season. Ahead of Stafford, Cam, Kaep...

He is 5-10. A lot of those losses are squarely on him due to his late int's. He is a headcase that has never really put together a good season and there is a reason that 2 franchises now have soured on him in the ultimate age of quarterbacks. He just isnt worth having around due to his play on the field and attitude.

Do you really think that Det, Carolina or San fran would swap qbs with the Bears?

He is 5-10. A lot of those losses are squarely on him due to his late int's. He is a headcase that has never really put together a good season and there is a reason that 2 franchises now have soured on him in the ultimate age of quarterbacks. He just isnt worth having around due to his play on the field and attitude.Do you really think that Det, Carolina or San fran would swap qbs with the Bears?
Don't worry I'm not a fan of cutler...but lots of worse qbs in the NFL

He is 5-10. A lot of those losses are squarely on him due to his late int's. He is a headcase that has never really put together a good season and there is a reason that 2 franchises now have soured on him in the ultimate age of quarterbacks. He just isnt worth having around due to his play on the field and attitude.Do you really think that Det, Carolina or San fran would swap qbs with the Bears?
Don't worry I'm not a fan of cutler...but lots of worse qbs in the NFL
No doubt but that doesnt mean there is going to be some crazy bidding war for him.

Like someone said on another thread if they can get a 3rd they should thank the gods.

Users who are viewing this thread