What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (4 Viewers)

Jax Jags have made a phone call in regards to Aaron Rodgers? 

Green Bay could have Lawrence if they want him? I could not pass up on Lawrence or the No 1 overall pick this season for a QB that has maybe 2-3 really really good years left, Rodgers is 37 years old, 40 is not the same for everyone, naive to think he won't see some kind of slowdown over the next couple seasons. 
Wait who reported that? 

James Jones was never that good, even with Rodgers. Jordy was a good prospect though. 6'3" 215 with 4.5 speed and absolutely dominant college production. Adams is an even better prospect. He smashed every box but was just slow to develop. I think those guys benefited massively from playing with Rodgers (as almost anyone would) and developing chemistry but Adams and Jordy were also really talented. 
Honest question because I don't recall that long ago, but Adams was such a great prospect he fell to 53 and was the 9th WR drafted that year? (Granted that was considered almost an all-time great WR draft early on although it hasn't aged well lately.)

You can hit on 2nd round WR's especially with an all-world QB, but I still think the criticism about not giving Rodgers much help is valid. GB's never drafted a WR, TE, or RB in the 1st round the entire time he's been there. If we want to go back further on his surrounding offensive cast, Greg Jennings who face planted in Minnesota when he left. The ghost of Donald Driver when Rodgers finally took over from Favre. Touchdown Robber Cobb who has done little in multiple stops around the league now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest question because I don't recall that long ago, but Adams was such a great prospect he fell to 53 and was the 9th WR drafted that year? (Granted that was considered almost an all-time great WR draft early on although it hasn't aged well lately.) You can hit on 2nd round WR's especially with an all-world QB, but I still think the criticism about not giving Rodgers much help is valid. GB's never drafted a WR, TE, or RB in the 1st round the entire time he's been there. If we want to go back further on his surrounding offensive cast, Greg Jennings who face planted in Minnesota when he left. The ghost of Donald Driver when Rodgers finally took over from Favre. Touchdown Robber Cobb who has done little in multiple stops around the league now. 
IDK why did DK Metcalf fall so far? Why wasn't AJ Brown a 1st round pick? Why did a team take Mike Williams and Jon Ross in the top 10?  Why was Kelvin Benjamin taken over Adams and Allen Robinson that year? I can't explain the crazy picks some of these teams make. Maybe the teams evals said Adams was good but would need to develop which would have been spot on and they felt other plays could deliver right away.  

Multiple 1sts for a 37 year old QB who is complaining he wants off of his team that was 13-3 and a game away from the SB the last 2 years. He is awesome but it's a big gam
Reigning MVP, who was possibly the difference between 13-3 and an 8-8 team. Also no reason Rodgers doesn't have 4 years left.

Stafford got 2 1sts and an ok QB, and he's not in Rodgers league on his best day.  

Reigning MVP, who was possibly the difference between 13-3 and an 8-8 team. Also no reason Rodgers doesn't have 4 years left.

Stafford got 2 1sts and an ok QB, and he's not in Rodgers league on his best day.  
I get it, he gives them an absolute shot at the SB this year and next. Rodgers certainly could 4 years left but he's also shown that even being MVP going 26-6 and being a game from the SB isn't necessarily enough to make him happy. What is stop him from being unhappy in SF after a season?

Stafford got one 1st and is 3 years younger. The other 1st Detroit got was to take on Goff's contract. 

Green Bay could have Lawrence if they want him? I could not pass up on Lawrence or the No 1 overall pick this season for a QB that has maybe 2-3 really really good years left, Rodgers is 37 years old, 40 is not the same for everyone, naive to think he won't see some kind of slowdown over the next couple seasons. 
As much as I love Aaron Rodgers...if Jax really did reach out and is offering this year's first and anything else of value.  Not sure how you don't take it.  And I love Rodgers and yes if they can make him happy he gives them a great shot the next 3 years at least.  But I am a huge fan of Lawrence's talent and that decade plus of that...3 straight QBs with that much talent.  Hard hard hard to pass up.

There’s also a big milestone on June 1 in terms of the cap hit. If they trade him before 6/1, there’s an immediate cap charge of over $30m.  After June 1 it’s less than half that. 
Yeah, but if OvertheCap is right, it's only a net increase of $1.1M to trade him vs keep him. So either take the full hit in 2021 vs spread part of it to 2022? It's not like they'll be signing any big FA's at this point either.

A bigger issue IMO is I think they'd have to fit any draft picks they acquire under the cap too and they are pretty tight against it. Not sure how that really works timing-wise with the wheeling and dealing that often happens during the draft.

I get it, he gives them an absolute shot at the SB this year and next. Rodgers certainly could 4 years left but he's also shown that even being MVP going 26-6 and being a game from the SB isn't necessarily enough to make him happy. What is stop him from being unhappy in SF after a season?

Stafford got one 1st and is 3 years younger. The other 1st Detroit got was to take on Goff's contract. 
I don't think SF is the team who makes the move, just don't think they can offer enough.

I think this has nothing to do with record or success. I think it's personal. He could be happy on the Jets, or whomever, even if he is less successful.

I guess I would say the team certainly knows what is going on, they are taking it seriously and are considering this among all other information in their draft over the next couple days, as they considered it over the decisions they've made over the past couple months - and still, there's no reason to necessarily trade this player today.
I agree with this, but the wildcard is he says, "I am done." and walks off into the sunset with his new wife, his assortment of endorsements and a possible Jeopardy gig and GB gets zilch from it. So do they take a deal tonight and guarantee a return or roll the dice and hope he comes back.  

Laughable.

There is no chance the Jags have offered 1.01 for Rodgers.
Per Adam Schefter nobody or no team ever made a formal offer, that doesn't stop them from making phone calls. 

As @Anarchy99 posted after I blurbed the Jax post was that only Jax and NYJ have the actual cap space to even take Rodgers on. I have nothing to do with any of this, I simply overheard my radio since I don't watch the TV much. But the Jax/Jets cap space angle could be why these things are getting funneled. 

I turned on NFLN around 6 and they went to some lady in New Jersey who couldn't wait to yell into a microphone some very important information "It's exciting here in Jetsland today" so I apologize for not having a link but I find it credible that they might have picked up the phone and at least asked if they had any interest in trading Rodgers...I find it absurd San Fran called last night and then leaked it everywhere today but strange things are in the air today/tonight. 

Again, Schefter says nobody has made any formal offer so you're post is right on the money. 

Jed York isnt stopping

#DraftDay sorry for the hiatus. Found JL & Kyle. Sounds like they’re gonna do #FeatsOfStrength to finalize our plans for tonight. Makes sense after reading how they’ve been at odds..... cuz those guys are NEVER on the same page

How would it be his whiff?  He just reported what Schlereth is saying.
Oh sorry, I'm not on Twitter.  Then Schlereth's whiff.  Whoever is saying it may just want their twitter blown up, no?

I mean is that 15 million hit not true, or is there a work around that?  I can't imagine Schlereth, Lammey, whomever, not knowing that.  They must.  So the reporting of it and re-reporting of it better have some juice behind it.

Oh sorry, I'm not on Twitter.  Then Schlereth's whiff.  Whoever is saying it may just want their twitter blown up, no?

I mean is that 15 million hit not true, or is there a work around that?  I can't imagine Schlereth, Lammey, whomever, not knowing that.  They must.  So the reporting of it and re-reporting of it better have some juice behind it.
Well there have been multiple reports of trade offers and other saying there have been no actual offers

Clearly he hasn't got along with packers management for a long time. And frankly, they've done a pretty bad job at putting talent around him. I don't blame anyone for wanting a change at their job after over 10 years.

Clearly he hasn't got along with packers management for a long time. And frankly, they've done a pretty bad job at putting talent around him. I don't blame anyone for wanting a change at their job after over 10 years.
Best LT, Best Center, One of the best WRs, a top RB.  Where is the lack of talent?

Best LT, Best Center, One of the best WRs, a top RB.  Where is the lack of talent?
And wr2, wr3, te? And you want to talk about the defense and playing for McCarthy for years? Packers fans are so butt sore having 2 HoF qbs. Enjoy the years of crap coming after. And packers fans whining about Rodgers whining is pretty ironic and funny. Train wreck coming, enjoy.

And wr2, wr3, te? And you want to talk about the defense and playing for McCarthy for years? Packers fans are so butt sore having 2 HoF qbs. Enjoy the years of crap coming after. And packers fans whining about Rodgers whining is pretty ironic and funny. Train wreck coming, enjoy.
Multiple guys over the years.  Jennings, Jones, Cobb...Davante  was drafter to be a depth and eventual guy.

They have drafted defense for years and years and years.  To say they haven’t put talent on that team is laughable.

It doesn’t absolve them about how they handled this...but they have out talent on this team.

Multiple guys over the years.  Jennings, Jones, Cobb...Davante  was drafter to be a depth and eventual guy.

They have drafted defense for years and years and years.  To say they haven’t put talent on that team is laughable.

It doesn’t absolve them about how they handled this...but they have out talent on this team.
Defense has been terrible for years and they've had no wr depth for years. But ymmv.

Fact is, they drafted Love and I thought there was no way Rodgers was with the team in 2 years. You knew he would be pissed, and guess what, he is pissed. They chose to move on and grab a qb so that's how it goes. Packers made their bed last year, how they're surprised now is funny. I'm surprised it took this long but didn't we all know this marriage was over last year?

Yep. They gave him a coach that was adversarial and then proceeded to draft another QB and largely useless RB instead of improving the obvious weak points in the team. Cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. I'd ask to be traded too.

Speaking Thursday evening, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said the team would not trade Aaron Rodgers.  

“No, we’re not going to trade Aaron Rodgers," was Gutekunst's point blank comment. "He's our quarterback, he's our leader. We've been working through this for a little while now. It may take some time … But he gives us the best chance to win and we're going to work toward that end." That is not what Rodgers is leaking, but it sounds like the Packers are prepared to play hard ball. With the draft seeming to foreclose a number of trade destinations — but not all — Rodgers may have to be prepared to sit games if he truly wants to force his way out of Wisconsin. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 30, 2021, 12:43 AM ET

You can't be serious with this.

The defense allows like 35 points a game (or close to that) PER GAME in all of the playoff losses in Rodgers' career.  There is no QB in history who could consistently win in the playoffs when their defense is getting shredded that regularly.  I think Rodgers is kind of a #### in general, but I get this frustration with the organization.  They were on the verge after the 2019 season (when you lose in the NFCCG, that usually means you maybe need just a bit more help to get you over the top), and what they do? Draft a QB in the 1st round.  The Packers organization has done him dirty. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. They gave him a coach that was adversarial and then proceeded to draft another QB and largely useless RB instead of improving the obvious weak points in the team. Cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. I'd ask to be traded too.
Lafleur is adversarial?

Losing Bahktiari cost them a trip to the SB...the offense squandering 2nd half opportunities cost them a trip to the SB.

The defense allows like 35 points a game (or close to that) PER GAME in all of the playoff losses in Rodgers' career.  There is no QB in history who could consistently win in the playoffs when their defense is getting shredded that regularly.  I think Rodgers is kind of a #### in general, but I get this frustration with the organization.  They were on the verge after the 2019 season (when you lose in the NFCCG, that usually means you maybe need just a bit more help to get you over the top), and what they do? Draft a QB in the 1st round.  The Packers organization has done him dirty. 
I agree the D has given up points...which is why 9 of the last 10 first round picks have been spent trying to make the D better.  And why they spent on the Smiths in FA a couple years ago and paid big money to retain Kenny Clark.  A D that sucked bad in the first half against Tampa but gave the offense the ball back forcing 3 second half turnovers which the offense did diddly squat with it.

But there is no denying GB had a top Oline last year with top guys in Bahktiari and Linsley.  Davante Adams...Aaron Jones...that isn’t a lack of talent.

Yes...Id love more depth at WR...last year’s draft sucks...but the whoa is me for Rodgers is ridiculous.

They lost the NFCCG two years ago because their defense couldn't stop the run, but Rodgers had by far his worst game of the season in that game.  Last year against the Bucs, the Packers win if Rodgers has even an average Rodgers game (for him).  There's no rookie who changes the outcome of either of those games. 

As for doing him "dirty" - they've made him the highest paid player in NFL history twice in the past 10 years, with record-setting deals in 2013 and 2018. The 2018 deal absolutely obliterated the existing records for signing bonus ($57m), total guaranteed money ($100m) and per-year average salary ($34mil). He's a bit of a diva for sure, but he's not dumb. No player should expect the GM to cowtow to him on draft day or run the team to appease him above the interests of the team.

They lost the NFCCG two years ago because their defense couldn't stop the run, but Rodgers had by far his worst game of the season in that game.  Last year against the Bucs, the Packers win if Rodgers has even an average Rodgers game (for him).  There's no rookie who changes the outcome of either of those games

As for doing him "dirty" - they've made him the highest paid player in NFL history twice in the past 10 years, with record-setting deals in 2013 and 2018. The 2018 deal absolutely obliterated the existing records for signing bonus ($57m), total guaranteed money ($100m) and per-year average salary ($34mil). He's a bit of a diva for sure, but he's not dumb. No player should expect the GM to cowtow to him on draft day or run the team to appease him above the interests of the team.
The difference in this past NFCCG was literally a handful of plays.  To say a 1st round pick couldn't have made a play or two to make a difference is absurd.  I'm sorry for singling you out Cletius as you are a wise Packer fan I just see this posted all the time by Packer fans who won't question anything the Packers do.  There is absolutely no way of knowing this.  

The difference in this past NFCCG was literally a handful of plays.  To say a 1st round pick couldn't have made a play or two to make a difference is absurd.  I'm sorry for singling you out Cletius as you are a wise Packer fan I just see this posted all the time by Packer fans who won't question anything the Packers do.  There is absolutely no way of knowing this.  
Yeah, I’m sure it’s possible they could have found a player at the end of the first round who could have had an impact in that game, but the point is they had a good enough team to win the game. They were at home and favored to win. A couple defensive errors by the coaches and Kevin King were massive.  But Rodgers also could have won the game himself if he didn’t miss on 4 plays he routinely completes for touchdowns. 

I’ll judge the Jordan Love pick when we see him play. If he’s not a starting level QB, I think they have to fire Gutekunst.  He put his career on that pick. I like the fact he had the balls to do that, looking to the future for the team, knowing he would suffer the wrath of the public and #12.  Right now, I look at how much some of these teams are giving up to take a shot on an uncertain QB and I’m happy the Packers have at least 2-3 years to judge whether they have the right guy or not.

I don’t know what Rodgers wants right now. If he thinks the team should draft according to his ego rather than their own board, I’m happy they don’t agree with him. If he wants to be the highest paid player in football again, for the third time, with an extension that runs well into his 40’s, I don’t support him in that. That would destroy the team’s ability to compete for several years, which is not acceptable in Green Bay. 

Line you said we won't know. But I'd sure think Patrick Queen or tee higgins could have helped.

Users who are viewing this thread