Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Aaron Rodgers, GB

11 minutes ago, Harry Frogfish said:

All irrelevant.  Talk about trying to twist and turn an argument around.  :lmao:

My point remains.  Horribly handled HOF QB by the Packers.

Claiming some sort of victory in a discussion where you haven’t pointed to a single thing to substantiate your point that the Packers “handled their HOF QB horribly” is next level weird. Repeating that they’ve “handled him horribly” doesn’t make it any more true simply through repetition, whether you’ve said it 1x or 20x. The only thing you’ve put forward as evidence is “1 super bowl” and as I & others have effectively explained, thats a terrible measure of success. 

As the old lady in the Geiko ads says, that’s not how any of this works. 

I don’t think the Packers management have handled *this* situation well, but that’s not wasting his career. That’s just silly when you actually, you know, look at his career.

The only other thing resembling a point was the statement that drafting Love was somehow hurtful. Except they drafted Rodgers when they had Favre, so....yeah. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Claiming some sort of victory in a discussion where you haven’t pointed to a single thing to substantiate your point that the Packers “handled their HOF QB horribly” is next level weird. Repeating that they’ve “handled him horribly” doesn’t make it any more true simply through repetition, whether you’ve said it 1x or 20x. The only thing you’ve put forward as evidence is “1 super bowl” and as I & others have effectively explained, thats a terrible measure of success. 

As the old lady in the Geiko ads says, that’s not how any of this works. 

I don’t think the Packers management have handled *this* situation well, but that’s not wasting his career. That’s just silly when you actually, you know, look at his career.

The only other thing resembling a point was the statement that drafting Love was somehow hurtful. Except they drafted Rodgers when they had Favre, so....yeah. 

Talk about an understatement.  And you try and window dress it???  LOL

Feel free to leave Favre out of the current situation (along with your diversion propensity).  That is not a good argument for justifying the many missteps they've taken.

1 hour ago, Harry Frogfish said:

Talk about an understatement.  And you try and window dress it???  LOL

Feel free to leave Favre out of the current situation (along with your diversion propensity).  That is not a good argument for justifying the many missteps they've taken.

By all means - list them. Stop saying simple generalizations without backing them up. 

And my comment about favre was totally relevant. It’s a parallel. You pointed to drafting love as evidence that the Packers have badly mismanaged ARod’s career.  I simply pointed out that they did the exact same thing when they drafted ARod. The irony there is impossible to miss, yet here we are. 

29 minutes ago, Harry Frogfish said:

For starters, the last TEN first round draft picks.  That alone is an over abundance of missteps.

Good night.

These “mic drop” type posts only make you look like you’re avoiding legitimate discussion. 

good night indeed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Frogfish said:

For starters, the last TEN first round draft picks.  That alone is an over abundance of missteps.

The last 10, really? Jaire Alexander is arguably the best DB in the NFL. Darnell Savage and Kenny Clark are high quality starters. HaHa and Bulaga were both good players.

GB has actually done pretty well in the 1st round, and that is with picking toward the end of round each year other than Rashan Gary, who hasn't been bad either. The only real misses were Datone Jones and Derek Sherrod. Even guys like Nick Perry and Damarious Randall, were useful players, though not what you'd want in round 1. 

How many teams have gotten more than 5 quality starters out of their last 10 1st rounders? Off the top of my head, I'd say just Dallas, Denver, Detroit, LA Chargers, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Washington. Other than New Orleans, and Pittsburgh, most of those teams had FAR higher picks than Green Bay. Some of those teams(Denver, SF, Washington) nailed defense, but were held back by QB play. Half of Dallas hits were OL picks.

Green Bay has probably been in the top 75% among drafting teams in the 1st round. I will agree that Jordan Love was likely a terrible pick, and that there probably should have been more attention paid to WR(and probably LB more than anything) but the majority of the NFL would be thrilled to have Green Bay's recent track record.

Edited by travdogg
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, travdogg said:

The last 10, really? Jaire Alexander is arguably the best DB in the NFL. Darnell Savage and Kenny Clark are high quality starters. HaHa and Bulaga were both good players.

GB has actually done pretty well in the 1st round, and that is with picking toward the end of round each year other than Rashan Gary, who hasn't been bad either. The only real misses were Datone Jones and Derek Sherrod. Even guys like Nick Perry and Damarious Randall, were useful players, though not what you'd want in round 1. 

How many teams have gotten more than 5 quality starters out of their last 10 1st rounders? Off the top of my head, I'd say just Dallas, Denver, Detroit, LA Chargers, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Washington. Other than New Orleans, and Pittsburgh, most of those teams had FAR higher picks than Green Bay. Some of those teams(Denver, SF, Washington) nailed defense, but were held back by QB play. Half of Dallas hits were OL picks.

Green Bay has probably been in the top 75% among drafting teams in the 1st round. I will agree that Jordan Love was likely a terrible pick, and that there probably should have been more attention paid to WR(and probably LB more than anything) but the majority of the NFL would be thrilled to have Green Bay's recent track record.

What an overabundance of missteps there.

I would add that New Orleans traded up in a couple of those drafts, once with the Packers IIRC.

And I don't think anyone can label the Jordan Love pick as a terrible pick just yet. Sure, short term a linebacker or WR would have been nice. If he doesn't pan out, it's a terrible pick. But if Love turns out to be a pro bowl QB that continues the Packers success it will be a brilliant pick. You don't win in the NFL without QB play. You can hide poor LB play.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:20 AM, travdogg said:

Good stuff in there.   Minor nitpick, Haha Clinton-Dix was a terrible pick and a mediocre player.  He flamed out after leaving GB.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:34 PM, Shaq90 said:

Aaron Rodgers is a prime example of why you need a defense. He's the best thrower ever but his playoff record blows.

I'd rather have a crippled Peyton Manning behind a good defense than Aaron Rodgers and any defense he's had in the past 10 years.

It exposes the QB position, imo. 

Been saying this for years. Also, having crappy defenses and great offenses lead to payers stats blowing up and wanting to get PAID. Yes, if you have a dominate defense, some of those guys will cost a lot but it isn’t QB money. 

12 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Good stuff in there.   Minor nitpick, Haha Clinton-Dix was a terrible pick and a mediocre player.  He flamed out after leaving GB.

The point is not so much what they got, it's what they failed to get. 

They left Rodgers out on an island for way too many years.  Maybe you go D for a can't miss talent or two, and let Aaron keep carrying you for a few more years, but not TEN straight.  Not in his prime like that. 

And you don't top it off by grabbing a lottery ticket project in Utah, leaving Rodgers to go in for his last gunfights with a Daisy Red Rider, yet again.  You think Tom Brady would put up with that ####?

4 minutes ago, Harry Frogfish said:

The point is not so much what they got, it's what they failed to get. 

They left Rodgers out on an island for way too many years.  Maybe you go D for a can't miss talent or two, and let Aaron keep carrying you for a few more years, but not TEN straight.  Not in his prime like that. 

And you don't top it off by grabbing a lottery ticket project in Utah, leaving Rodgers to go in for his last gunfights with a Daisy Red Rider, yet again.  You think Tom Brady would put up with that ####?

My issue is with the past 2 drafts, not the prior 8-10 drafts.   We picked really good WRs in the 2nd and 3rd for awhile (G Jennings, J Nelson, J Jones, D Adams, etc).   

The past 2 drafts.....just a horrible job of failing to get difference making, potential stud #1 WRs in drafts that were rich in talent at those positions.   Drafting Jordan Love was awful, but picking AJ Dillon in the late 2nd and a TE/h-back in the 3rd (who really should have been a 5th or 6th round pick)......just inexcusable.

Edited by Alex P Keaton
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I have to admit I laughed when they took Ha Ha.

I didn't laugh.   Ugh.   It just makes no sense in this day & age with contract structures to take a Safety in the first round, unless that player is just such a ridiculous outlier of talent and playmaking that you're drafting the next Sean Taylor or Ed Reed.   It makes even less sense to draft a guy who struggles make the right decisions on when/whether to gamble and keeps giving up big plays while turnover-hunting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

My issue is with the past 2 drafts...

The past 2 drafts.....just a horrible job of failing to get difference making, potential stud #1 WRs in drafts that were rich in talent at those positions.   Drafting Jordan Love was awful, but picking AJ Dillon in the late 2nd and a TE/h-back in the 3rd (who really should have been a 5th or 6th round pick)......just inexcusable.

So whether your issues are more recent, as you outlined, or longer term, or both (imo), those are still missteps, bad decisions/management, whatever you want to call it. 

Semantics aside, they have fumbled away a golden opportunity few teams ever get.  And that window is closing fast.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 6:56 AM, Faust said:

ProFootballTalk.com reports Aaron Rodgers could save $18.3 million in unearned signing bonus money and roster bonus money if he opts out of the 2021 season by July 2. 

It's a new wrinkle in the NFL MVP's offseason saga, and one that should cause tremendous heartburn in the Packers' front office. An agreement between the league and the player's union struck this week grants "broad powers to all players to opt out of the 2021 season, regardless of whether they opted out in 2020 or whether they have been diagnosed with a higher-risk condition since October 1, 2020." Last year, dozens of players opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns. The Packers have been crystal clear that they will not trade Rodgers. He'll play for Green Bay or no one in 2021. Jordan Love, meanwhile, has taken almost all of the first-team reps in Green Bay offseason practices, making up for his lack of reps during the COVID-shortened 2020 offseason. Love under center this season would be a major hit to the fantasy value of all Packers skill position players. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Jun 25, 2021, 8:20 AM ET

He didn't.....

BREAKING!!!

Profootballclicks is exclusively reporting that Aaron Rodgers has a professional contract with the Packers and is believed to be legally eligible to play for the NFL team this season!! More on this story as it develops!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

15 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Sometimes babies explain their approach to make sure it is known to all. “Yes, I am a baby. My tantrums are quiet for a reason. A super smarty pants reason.”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BigJim® said:
15 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Sometimes babies explain their approach to make sure it is known to all. “Yes, I am a baby. My tantrums are quiet for a reason. A super smarty pants reason.”

My favorite part is that ESPN referred to this rambling nonsense as a "proverb."

"On Monday, Rodgers used a proverb."

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

50 minutes ago, Leroy's Aces said:

Other than being a HOF QB, and a competent Jeopardy host, Rodgers is a darn good golfer with a clutch putter.

Mayim Bialik was pretty good. I wonder if she can throw a deep ball... 

2 minutes ago, habsfan said:

In my experience the smartest person in the room doesn't use phrases like "smartest person in the room".

I didn’t see that. Just the silent thing. Please share the quote.

19 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

I didn’t see that. Just the silent thing. Please share the quote.

It states "sometimes the loudest person in the room is not the smartest person" just a couple posts up...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JetMaxx said:
On 7/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Faust said:

Only thing to figure out is whether you’re driving or flying to GB :lmao:

My guess is there is a pretty nice contract extension on the table for him, probably with some remaining details to iron out.  I'm sure its a better deal than what the team offered last Winter, so he's probably gained something over the past 6 months while giving up nothing. Despite the media circus, I expect this to be a win-win outcome.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

My guess is there is a pretty nice contract extension on the table for him, probably with some remaining details to iron out.  I'm sure its a better deal than what the team offered last Winter, so he's probably gained something over the past 6 months while giving up nothing. Despite the media circus, I expect this to be a win-win outcome.

Yep.  I’m shocked that anyone bought into the media narrative that he would get traded or retire.

was pretty clear it was negotiation tactic from the start.

8 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I hope he stays in GB. Considering I transitioned from Favre to Rodgers in my  25 year dynasty league I must admit there’s something special about getting big numbers from the QB in green and gold. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

I hope he stays in GB. Considering I transitioned from Favre to Rodgers in my  25 year dynasty league I must admit there’s something special about getting big numbers from the QB in green and gold. 

There have been some pretty good receivers within that lineage too.  Personal favorites were Sharpe and Robert Brooks.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

This off-season, the Packers offered Aaron Rodgers a two-year contract extension that would have tied him to Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid QB and player in football.

Rodgers declined the offer, proof it’s not about the money.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1417470203944910873?s=21

• Joe Bryant changed the title to QB Aaron Rodgers, GB