What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

For starters, the last TEN first round draft picks.  That alone is an over abundance of missteps.
The last 10, really? Jaire Alexander is arguably the best DB in the NFL. Darnell Savage and Kenny Clark are high quality starters. HaHa and Bulaga were both good players.

GB has actually done pretty well in the 1st round, and that is with picking toward the end of round each year other than Rashan Gary, who hasn't been bad either. The only real misses were Datone Jones and Derek Sherrod. Even guys like Nick Perry and Damarious Randall, were useful players, though not what you'd want in round 1. 

How many teams have gotten more than 5 quality starters out of their last 10 1st rounders? Off the top of my head, I'd say just Dallas, Denver, Detroit, LA Chargers, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Washington. Other than New Orleans, and Pittsburgh, most of those teams had FAR higher picks than Green Bay. Some of those teams(Denver, SF, Washington) nailed defense, but were held back by QB play. Half of Dallas hits were OL picks.

Green Bay has probably been in the top 75% among drafting teams in the 1st round. I will agree that Jordan Love was likely a terrible pick, and that there probably should have been more attention paid to WR(and probably LB more than anything) but the majority of the NFL would be thrilled to have Green Bay's recent track record.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 10, really? Jaire Alexander is arguably the best DB in the NFL. Darnell Savage and Kenny Clark are high quality starters. HaHa and Bulaga were both good players.

GB has actually done pretty well in the 1st round, and that is with picking toward the end of round each year other than Rashan Gary, who hasn't been bad either. The only real misses were Datone Jones and Derek Sherrod. Even guys like Nick Perry and Damarious Randall, were useful players, though not what you'd want in round 1. 

How many teams have gotten more than 5 quality starters out of their last 10 1st rounders? Off the top of my head, I'd say just Dallas, Denver, Detroit, LA Chargers, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Washington. Other than New Orleans, and Pittsburgh, most of those teams had FAR higher picks than Green Bay. Some of those teams(Denver, SF, Washington) nailed defense, but were held back by QB play. Half of Dallas hits were OL picks.

Green Bay has probably been in the top 75% among drafting teams in the 1st round. I will agree that Jordan Love was likely a terrible pick, and that there probably should have been more attention paid to WR(and probably LB more than anything) but the majority of the NFL would be thrilled to have Green Bay's recent track record.
What an overabundance of missteps there.

I would add that New Orleans traded up in a couple of those drafts, once with the Packers IIRC.

And I don't think anyone can label the Jordan Love pick as a terrible pick just yet. Sure, short term a linebacker or WR would have been nice. If he doesn't pan out, it's a terrible pick. But if Love turns out to be a pro bowl QB that continues the Packers success it will be a brilliant pick. You don't win in the NFL without QB play. You can hide poor LB play.

Good stuff in there.   Minor nitpick, Haha Clinton-Dix was a terrible pick and a mediocre player.  He flamed out after leaving GB.

Aaron Rodgers is a prime example of why you need a defense. He's the best thrower ever but his playoff record blows.

I'd rather have a crippled Peyton Manning behind a good defense than Aaron Rodgers and any defense he's had in the past 10 years.

It exposes the QB position, imo. 
Been saying this for years. Also, having crappy defenses and great offenses lead to payers stats blowing up and wanting to get PAID. Yes, if you have a dominate defense, some of those guys will cost a lot but it isn’t QB money. 

Good stuff in there.   Minor nitpick, Haha Clinton-Dix was a terrible pick and a mediocre player.  He flamed out after leaving GB.
The point is not so much what they got, it's what they failed to get. 

They left Rodgers out on an island for way too many years.  Maybe you go D for a can't miss talent or two, and let Aaron keep carrying you for a few more years, but not TEN straight.  Not in his prime like that. 

And you don't top it off by grabbing a lottery ticket project in Utah, leaving Rodgers to go in for his last gunfights with a Daisy Red Rider, yet again.  You think Tom Brady would put up with that ####?

The point is not so much what they got, it's what they failed to get. 

They left Rodgers out on an island for way too many years.  Maybe you go D for a can't miss talent or two, and let Aaron keep carrying you for a few more years, but not TEN straight.  Not in his prime like that. 

And you don't top it off by grabbing a lottery ticket project in Utah, leaving Rodgers to go in for his last gunfights with a Daisy Red Rider, yet again.  You think Tom Brady would put up with that ####?
My issue is with the past 2 drafts, not the prior 8-10 drafts.   We picked really good WRs in the 2nd and 3rd for awhile (G Jennings, J Nelson, J Jones, D Adams, etc).   

The past 2 drafts.....just a horrible job of failing to get difference making, potential stud #1 WRs in drafts that were rich in talent at those positions.   Drafting Jordan Love was awful, but picking AJ Dillon in the late 2nd and a TE/h-back in the 3rd (who really should have been a 5th or 6th round pick)......just inexcusable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit I laughed when they took Ha Ha.
I didn't laugh.   Ugh.   It just makes no sense in this day & age with contract structures to take a Safety in the first round, unless that player is just such a ridiculous outlier of talent and playmaking that you're drafting the next Sean Taylor or Ed Reed.   It makes even less sense to draft a guy who struggles make the right decisions on when/whether to gamble and keeps giving up big plays while turnover-hunting.

My issue is with the past 2 drafts...

The past 2 drafts.....just a horrible job of failing to get difference making, potential stud #1 WRs in drafts that were rich in talent at those positions.   Drafting Jordan Love was awful, but picking AJ Dillon in the late 2nd and a TE/h-back in the 3rd (who really should have been a 5th or 6th round pick)......just inexcusable.
So whether your issues are more recent, as you outlined, or longer term, or both (imo), those are still missteps, bad decisions/management, whatever you want to call it. 

Semantics aside, they have fumbled away a golden opportunity few teams ever get.  And that window is closing fast.

ProFootballTalk.com reports Aaron Rodgers could save $18.3 million in unearned signing bonus money and roster bonus money if he opts out of the 2021 season by July 2. 

It's a new wrinkle in the NFL MVP's offseason saga, and one that should cause tremendous heartburn in the Packers' front office. An agreement between the league and the player's union struck this week grants "broad powers to all players to opt out of the 2021 season, regardless of whether they opted out in 2020 or whether they have been diagnosed with a higher-risk condition since October 1, 2020." Last year, dozens of players opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns. The Packers have been crystal clear that they will not trade Rodgers. He'll play for Green Bay or no one in 2021. Jordan Love, meanwhile, has taken almost all of the first-team reps in Green Bay offseason practices, making up for his lack of reps during the COVID-shortened 2020 offseason. Love under center this season would be a major hit to the fantasy value of all Packers skill position players. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Jun 25, 2021, 8:20 AM ET
He didn't.....

This may be the biggest crybaby child in league history.  Such an unlikable human being.  He will probably sign another contract with them when he quits stomping his feet

My favorite part is that ESPN referred to this rambling nonsense as a "proverb."

"On Monday, Rodgers used a proverb."

Faust said:
Only thing to figure out is whether you’re driving or flying to GB :lmao:
My guess is there is a pretty nice contract extension on the table for him, probably with some remaining details to iron out.  I'm sure its a better deal than what the team offered last Winter, so he's probably gained something over the past 6 months while giving up nothing. Despite the media circus, I expect this to be a win-win outcome.

My guess is there is a pretty nice contract extension on the table for him, probably with some remaining details to iron out.  I'm sure its a better deal than what the team offered last Winter, so he's probably gained something over the past 6 months while giving up nothing. Despite the media circus, I expect this to be a win-win outcome.
Yep.  I’m shocked that anyone bought into the media narrative that he would get traded or retire.

was pretty clear it was negotiation tactic from the start.

I hope he stays in GB. Considering I transitioned from Favre to Rodgers in my  25 year dynasty league I must admit there’s something special about getting big numbers from the QB in green and gold. 

I hope he stays in GB. Considering I transitioned from Favre to Rodgers in my  25 year dynasty league I must admit there’s something special about getting big numbers from the QB in green and gold. 
There have been some pretty good receivers within that lineage too.  Personal favorites were Sharpe and Robert Brooks.

So is he done there?
Highly unlikely he's traded until next offseason. Guess we'll see if he sits out, shows up and stares at his phone or he plays another year. Despite what the packers think, I don't really see how he comes back for another year if everyone believes he's gone soon and doesn't want to be there. Both sides have really backed themselves into a corner.

So is he done there?
Highly unlikely he's traded until next offseason. Guess we'll see if he sits out, shows up and stares at his phone or he plays another year. Despite what the packers think, I don't really see how he comes back for another year if everyone believes he's gone soon and doesn't want to be there. Both sides have really backed themselves into a corner.
Its like the concept of a "contract negotiation" is completely new here.  It goes like this: offer-counteroffer-repeat, etc. We knew back in February they were discussing an extension.  We knew back then he might sign a deal, might hold out, might be traded.  This is not news!

Its like the concept of a "contract negotiation" is completely new here.  It goes like this: offer-counteroffer-repeat, etc. We knew back in February they were discussing an extension.  We knew back then he might sign a deal, might hold out, might be traded.  This is not news!
And who knows what the contract really was. Maybe the guaranteed money wasn't there, maybe it was laden with incentives maybe he wanted a no trade clause. Who knows. 

Users who are viewing this thread