What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (3 Viewers)

Just goes to show you why it is often stupid to judge QBs too much on postseason wins and losses (which is a team stat, not to mention the postseason is a small sample size). Rodgers makes one of the greatest throws you'll ever see in the postseason...in a loss.

Just goes to show you why it is often stupid to judge QBs too much on postseason wins and losses (which is a team stat, not to mention the postseason is a small sample size). Rodgers makes one of the greatest throws you'll ever see in the postseason...in a loss.
I think the 61 yard pass to setup the Hail Mary was an even more impressive throw.

ARod has been on the bench watching in back-to-back years as the Packers lose in OT having never been on offense.

Yep, just brutal. And let's not forget that he once lost a playoff game by a score of 51-45.
Yeah, in that game Kurt Warner threw more TDs than incomplete passes. In another playoff loss Colin Kaepernick set an all-time rushing record in the postseason. I could be slightly off on these but you get the idea.ARod clearly wasn't himself down the stretch this season but he came to play when it mattered most. Hopefully he gets at least one more Super Bowl appearance and gets his chance to win that 2nd ring.

Not so with Brady, big sample size. Try again next year.

Not so with Brady, big sample size. Try again next year.
I agree with this. But I also think Rodgers is amazing and has had some tough breaks like other posters have said.

I hope somehow a depleted Pitt team can beat Manning. I don't want him to have any shot at getting to .500 for his postseason career. Most overrated ever.

Meh, Brady should have been pick sixes at the end of the pats game, instead the ball goes right to Edelman. Same with palmers Td. Lots of luck involved.

Like to see the cardinals win this thing now. Carson and Fitz are all class.

Meh, Brady should have been pick sixes at the end of the pats game, instead the ball goes right to Edelman. Same with palmers Td. Lots of luck involved.

Not too mention Arians. Guy coached my alma mater. Wish Lurie would've given him an interview....

ARod has been on the bench watching in back-to-back years as the Packers lose in OT having never been on offense.
That's what happens when your coach chickens out and doesn't go for 2 for the win

they were riding the giant horseshoe, why not roll the dice one more time

That's what happens when your coach chickens out and doesn't go for 2 for the win

they were riding the giant horseshoe, why not roll the dice one more time
Yeah, but that's not on Rodgers. That's on McCarthy.

My initial thought was "go for 2," but given the way Palmer was playing, once I thought about it more, I figured going to OT was the right move. Palmer was making some boneheaded throws, and got super lucky on the late TD to Floyd; I was expecting him to turn it over on the first possession of OT. It just didn't turn out that way.

I agree. I think the football gods spoke with the coin that would not flip. The Packers weren't winning last night.

Rodgers is 3-5 in the playoffs since winning the Superbowl.

Wins(# is points scored):

Home vs Minnesota(Joe Webb was the QB) 24

Home vs Dallas (Dez "no catch" play) 26

at Washington(Cousins and that sorry D) 35

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

Blame everyone else, but not scoring many points in the playoffs falls on 1 guy.

Not really. What is his qb rating in those games? If he had a coach with any stones, he'd probably have two more wins.

Yep, just brutal. And let's not forget that he once lost a playoff game by a score of 51-45.
Yeah, in that game Kurt Warner threw more TDs than incomplete passes. In another playoff loss Colin Kaepernick set an all-time rushing record in the postseason. I could be slightly off on these but you get the idea.ARod clearly wasn't himself down the stretch this season but he came to play when it mattered most. Hopefully he gets at least one more Super Bowl appearance and gets his chance to win that 2nd ring.
He's only won one? Crazy to think

Not too mention Arians. Guy coached my alma mater. Wish Lurie would've given him an interview....
Bears fan. Don't even get me started. We chose Trestman! :wall:

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

Blame everyone else, but not scoring many points in the playoffs falls on 1 guy.
First off, sounds like you have an axe to grind, which is why you put qualifiers next to each win, while putting none next to his losses (like the blown onside kick against Seattle last year, costing him a win and a Super Bowl appearance and possible win).

Secondly, it doesn't fall on one guy. I said that earlier, and you saying that merely proves my point. Doing what Rodgers did last night, without who were supposed to be his top three WRs coming into the season, was all-time great.

Thirdly, averaging 26 points a loss (using ALL six losses he has played in) just shows how unlucky he has been. Two of his six playoff losses were when he never got the ball in OT after leading game-typing drives at the end of regulation, a third was an OT loss in which he had scored 45 points, and a fourth saw him score 31.

His greatness is more than obvious to anyone who a) has two eyes, and b) has any kind of objectivity.

I'm really starting to wonder if we don't see a power struggle between Rodgers and McCarthy. Mike just won't let Aaron win the game. That's twice he's taken the ball out of Aaron's hands and lost in the playoffs in two years. Rodgers was pissed last year. This isn't going to help at all.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

First off, sounds like you have an axe to grind, which is why you put qualifiers next to each win, while putting none next to his losses (like the blown onside kick against Seattle last year, costing him a win and a Super Bowl appearance and possible win).

Secondly, it doesn't fall on one guy. I said that earlier, and you saying that merely proves my point. Doing what Rodgers did last night, without who were supposed to be his top three WRs coming into the season, was all-time great.

Thirdly, averaging 26 points a loss (using ALL six losses he has played in) just shows how unlucky he has been. Two of his six playoff losses were when he never got the ball in OT after leading game-typing drives at the end of regulation, a third was an OT loss in which he had scored 45 points, and a fourth saw him score 31.

His greatness is more than obvious to anyone who a) has two eyes, and b) has any kind of objectivity.
Ghost Rider for POTUS!

I'm really starting to wonder if we don't see a power struggle between Rodgers and McCarthy. Mike just won't let Aaron win the game. That's twice he's taken the ball out of Aaron's hands and lost in the playoffs in two years. Rodgers was pissed last year. This isn't going to help at all.
You keep repeating this line, but I'm just not seeing any animosity or strain in the relationship that you think there is. Do you have anything to back this up other than your opinion? Maybe I missed it somewhere?

My initial thought was "go for 2," but given the way Palmer was playing, once I thought about it more, I figured going to OT was the right move. Palmer was making some boneheaded throws, and got super lucky on the late TD to Floyd; I was expecting him to turn it over on the first possession of OT. It just didn't turn out that way.
I thought the same thing but then quickly "no way does an NFL coach do that in a post-season game".

I also agree Palmer would have made a mistake had Fitz not got all those YAC yards. Heck, even the 1st down pass from the 5 was dicey.

Mixed thoughts on Rodgers this year. Green Bay wasn't the "Packers" at times and the loss of Nelson and having Cobb less than 100% was a factor. Never thought I'd pull Rodgers from my fantasy line-up but using Stafford instead was the difference between winning and losing.

Great job my Rodgers in scrambling to get off those passes. Alex Smith had a couple similar plays in the early game. But there is a large element of luck in who comes down with a Hail Mary. I was more surprised by Arizona's defensive schema. As that play unfolded it looked like ~7 guys blitzing. I actually said out loud "who is back to defend this pass?"

Always easy to say go for two from the recliner.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

No, it really doesn't fall on one guy.

And realize he was throwing to wrs that were 5th on the depth chart starting out...and had how many catches all year long?

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

I see how you inserted words I didn't say (I think Rodgers is a very good QB) and moved the needle(6 playoff losses).

If you think Rodgers has played as expected in the playoffs the last 5 years, not sure what to tell ya.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

And realize he was throwing to wrs that were 5th on the depth chart starting out...and had how many catches all year long?
5 years>2 games

Does this get offset when we look at the Driver/Jordy/Cobb/Jennings/Adams(Dallas Game last year) he's been surrounded with? More often than not Rodgers has had better weapons than most any other playoff QB.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

I see how you inserted words I didn't say (I think Rodgers is a very good QB) and moved the needle(6 playoff losses).

If you think Rodgers has played as expected in the playoffs the last 5 years, not sure what to tell ya.
In those eight games:

-14 touchdowns and 5 INTs

-passer rating of 90 or higher in five of the eight

-offense has averaged 25 points per game

I suppose you will say that it is Rodgers' fault that he lost two games where he never saw the ball in OT or that it is his fault he lost a game where he scored 31 points, but his defense let a QB run for almost 200 yards, right?

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

Bingo.

If Arizona turns the ball over in OT and GB simply runs three times and kicks a FG, Rodgers' performance in this playoff game is considered one of the best and most clutch playoff performances of all-time. Instead, we have someone using it as an example of postseason ineptitude, all based on stuff that happened while he was sitting on the bench watching.

And that's a big part of the problem with judging so much on something as arbitrary as success in this small subset of games. Lots of times, that player isn't even on the field when the game is decided. Tom Brady has never been on the field for the game winning play in the Super Bowl. You could literally completely re-write history and make him have earned the reputation of "biggest choker in NFL history" by changing things that Adam Vinatieri or Malcolm Butler did after Brady sat down on the bench. Likewise, you could just as easily make him the unquestioned greatest of all-time who's unbeatable in the playoffs by changing things that Eli Manning or David Tyree did. He didn't "choke" against the Giants any more than he was "clutch" against Seattle.

As Ghost Rider mentioned, each of the last two seasons he's been knocked out of the playoffs after leading a clutch game tying drive at the end of regulation, only to not get a chance with the ball in overtime, which apparently makes him a choker in spite of those clutch drives, in the playoffs, in the last minute.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

5 years>2 games

Does this get offset when we look at the Driver/Jordy/Cobb/Jennings/Adams(Dallas Game last year) he's been surrounded with? More often than not Rodgers has had better weapons than most any other playoff QB.
They won the Dallas game last year.

They have not always had the best overall weapons...nor the better defense most years either. Nor have they had great protection all the time up front.

Look, he was not great yesterday..made some mistakes then and this year that he typically has not made. Was not the best year for him at all.

But claiming its on one guy is just ignorant crap.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

In those eight games:

I suppose you will say that it is Rodgers' fault that he lost two games where he never saw the ball in OT or that it is his fault he lost a game where he scored 31 points, but his defense let a QB run for almost 200 yards, right?
If Rodgers had a season with 28 TD and 10 INT would it be as expected?

Can you see past your team bias here? I'm not saying Rodgers is bad(this is the 2nd i've stated this), but rather I expected the offense to score more points. This has nothing to do with onside kicks, defense, OT, etc.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

5 years>2 games

They have not always had the best overall weapons...nor the better defense most years either. Nor have they had great protection all the time up front.

Look, he was not great yesterday..made some mistakes then and this year that he typically has not made. Was not the best year for him at all.

I shouldn't expect more from the QB in the "Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone...ever" thread? Wow

So give him credit when things are great...blame OT/onside kicks/defense/weapons/fumbles for the playoffs? Gottcha

You keep repeating this line, but I'm just not seeing any animosity or strain in the relationship that you think there is. Do you have anything to back this up other than your opinion? Maybe I missed it somewhere?
No, it's been discussed though. I think it's childish for professionals to act this way. But to be honest, Rodgers has to be pissed about being on the sidelines for the last two playoffs.

No, it's been discussed though. I think it's childish for professionals to act this way. But to be honest, Rodgers has to be pissed about being on the sidelines for the last two playoffs.
It's tough to evaluate coaches when they have a very good QB, but could Rodgers do better without McCarthy? I could see it.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

In those eight games:

Can you see past your team bias here? I'm not saying Rodgers is bad(this is the 2nd i've stated this), but rather I expected the offense to score more points. This has nothing to do with onside kicks, defense, OT, etc.
It's pretty close to this year's TD/INT numbers, especially when you consider that he doesn't get to play Detroit x2, Oakland, etc in the playoffs.

He was better last night against Arizona than he was in the regular season against Arizona.

It's tough to evaluate coaches when they have a very good QB, but could Rodgers do better without McCarthy? I could see it.
I think he could. I don't think it will ever happen though. I'd love to see him with Arians (on the Packers of course).

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

5 years>2 games

I shouldn't expect more from the QB in the "Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone...ever" thread? Wow

So give him credit when things are great...blame OT/onside kicks/defense/weapons/fumbles for the playoffs? Gottcha
Maybe you should look to the date of the OP and when he was playing that way.

This year has not been the year that he has played better than anyone. I have criticized his play...criticized his INTs last night as well as his play in last year's NFC title game too.

I give him blame for what is in his control...blaming it all on him is dumb (which is what I said).

I was surprised to see that Rodgers finished with only 261 passing yards last night. So before that final drive where he went 97 yards (Almost exclusively on two bombs) he only had 164 passing yards. I know he's playing without Cobb and Jordy but that's terrible production, certainly not 'the greatest of alltime" stuff.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

In those eight games:

My team bias? Uh, I am a longtime Broncos fan, not a Packers fan.

Your expectation of how much GB should score reflects on you, not Rodgers. Your expectations are irrelevant.

I was surprised to see that Rodgers finished with only 261 passing yards last night. So before that final drive where he went 97 yards (Almost exclusively on two bombs) he only had 164 passing yards. I know he's playing without Cobb and Jordy but that's terrible production, certainly not 'the greatest of alltime" stuff.
You realize the last drive counts towards his total, right? Think of how many quarterbacks would be viewed differently if we just took away their last drives in playoff games.

Users who are viewing this thread