Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rodgers is playing the QB position better than anyone... ever

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

It gets even better

Cobb said the final play was not an actual playcall. Rodgers just told each receiver what to do, like a kid drawing in the dirt. Seriously.

You could see that when they showed the huddle before that play....Rodgers pointing and gesturing routes to the receivers........

The stat that really sticks out to me I heard last night. On a defensive penalty where the play continues, the "free play", Rodgers has 13tds (there was some sort of time frame here that I missed, since he came into the league?). No other qb has more than 3. 

2 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

The stat that really sticks out to me I heard last night. On a defensive penalty where the play continues, the "free play", Rodgers has 13tds (there was some sort of time frame here that I missed, since he came into the league?). No other qb has more than 3. 

Yeah, it's like free candy.  They :own3d: Dallas on the procedural stuff early in this one.  

8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

GB still stinks  

Ryan and Julio will take them out next week  

Eta: defense, that is

Yeah the defense is pretty bad.  But they did lose their starting safety in this one early so hopefully he's back.  The Packers corners have to be the worst rated duo in the NFL.  It's a further testament to Rodgers.  He needs to not only manage getting points but also needs to constantly protect Damarious Randall.  I'm not sure how many times he was targetted last night but they showed a stat last week where opposing QBs had a rating of like 120 against him.  If I was Atlanta, I'd throw at him a minimum of 10 times a game.

That said, the Falcons D isn't very good either.  These teams playeds neck and neck last time.  Going to be a beauty.  Can't wait.  

9 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Brady fans will point to the Superbowls as if the QB completely dictates the outcome of a single game.  To anyone else, it's obvious that Rodgers can do just about everything better than Brady.

And many things Brady can't do (with his legs).  

33 minutes ago, georg013 said:

What Brady lacks with his legs, he more than compensates with his head and championship drive. Rodgers will never considered the best QB in the league at any point except by the fanboys in fantasy football circles. Good try though.

All things equal, Rodgers is better IMO.  Unfortunately all things will never be equal because Rodgers will never have the benefit working with the greatest coach in the history of the game.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

All things equal, Rodgers is better IMO.  Unfortunately all things will never be equal because Rodgers will never have the benefit working with the greatest coach in the history of the game.

I kind of see it this way.  Arod is more talented and an actual better quarterback then Brady is.  But Brady has had more success (people are free to argue as to WHY), so he will likely go down as the greatest.  Not sure Arod will catch Tom's numbers, but if he does then he'll be in that conversation.  For now, Rodgers is playing the position at a level that Brady hasn't before.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I kind of see it this way.  Arod is more talented and an actual better quarterback then Brady is.  But Brady has had more success (people are free to argue as to WHY), so he will likely go down as the greatest.  Not sure Arod will catch Tom's numbers, but if he does then he'll be in that conversation.  For now, Rodgers is playing the position at a level that Brady hasn't before.

Both still have a ways to go to catch the actual greatest of all time, Joe Montana. 

The notable thing about Montana, beyond his four Super Bowl wins, is that his stats in the playoffs were even better than his stats in the regular season, and his stats in his Super Bowls were even better than his stats in the playoffs. 83/122 (68.0%) for 1142 yards (286 ypg), 11 TD, 0 INT in four Super Bowls. For his era those numbers are astounding, and even as raw numbers they're better than Brady's. Rodgers only has one Super Bowl appearance so far (he did great), so isn't really comparable.

Rodgers certainly does things that Montana never could have, but he would need to get another couple of rings to unseat the GOAT. And yes, football is a team sport and QBs get too much credit and too much blame, but that's the nature of the discussion.

Edited by CalBear
  • Like 1

Just now, CalBear said:

Both still have a ways to go to catch the actual greatest of all time, Joe Montana. 

The notable thing about Montana, beyond his four Super Bowl wins, is that his stats in the playoffs were even better than his stats in the regular season, and his stats in his Super Bowls were even better than his stats in the playoffs. 83/122 for 1142 yards (286 ypg), 11 TD, 0 INT in four Super Bowls. For his era those numbers are astounding, and even as raw numbers they're better than Brady's. Rodgers only has one Super Bowl appearance so far (he did great), so isn't really comparable.

Rodgers certainly does things that Montana never could have, but he would need to get another couple of rings to unseat the GOAT. And yes, football is a team sport and QBs get too much credit and too much blame, but that's the nature of the discussion.

I'm not sure how you can say Brady still has a 'ways to go' to catch Montana.  Every year it seems we say "he's close", or "maybe if he wins another title this year".  It's going to be very tough to say Joe is the GOAT over Brady if he wins ANOTHER title this year.

I don't care how much you think the Pats success was "all because of Bill", I don't buy that argument to discredit Brady.  Since taking over at QB he has had 16 winning seasons and 0 losing records.  14 AFC EAST titles (2 2nd place finishes), and is averaging a record of 12.25-3.75 over those 16 years.  That is absolutely insane and even though Arod is the more talented QB, Brady is the "Greatest" if you take numbers, success, titles, etc all into play. 

I love Joe but C'mon.  And I know it's hard to compare because Tom played longer, but that's a credit to him.   456 vs 273 career passing TDs isn't exactly remotely close.  INT's are close though... 152 Brady, 139 Joe.  And yes, 4-2 in the Superbowl is BETTER than 4-0 in the Superbowl.  Leading your team to being 2nd place in the NFL instead of coming 10th place should STRENGTHEN your legacy, not tarnish it.

IMO the best one can do in comparing players across eras is to tier them, and IMO Brady, Montana, and Unitas are in the top tier of all-time QBs.

I do think Rodgers is playing QB at a higher level than any of those three ever did, but that isn't enough to put him in the top tier. He will need more postseason success, more sustained regular season success, and more honors/awards to get there. He is very capable of achieving all of that, but it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I'm not sure how you can say Brady still has a 'ways to go' to catch Montana.  Every year it seems we say "he's close", or "maybe if he wins another title this year".  It's going to be very tough to say Joe is the GOAT over Brady if he wins ANOTHER title this year.

As far as I'm concerned, he wasn't in the conversation before 2007. If he'd won that year and gone 19-0 he would have had an argument. But he didn't, and they lost to an inferior team partially because of mediocre play by Brady himself. And that's a consistent issue; his playoff and Super Bowl stats are well below his regular-season stats, which suggests that some of his statistical accomplishments come from running up the score on crappy teams during the regular season.

Since 2007 he's thrown 18 INTs in 15 postseason games, which hasn't improved his resume. His good postseason games since then have mostly been early games at home against overmatched teams. In postseason games other than New England's first, he's gone 445/734 (60.6%) with 30 TDs and 23 INTs in 19 games. And if you look at that split from 2007 to now, it's 258/429 (60.1%) with 17 TD and 15 INT in 10 games. So part of the reason it always seems that Brady isn't getting there is that he's really not helping his case much.

26 minutes ago, CalBear said:

As far as I'm concerned, he wasn't in the conversation before 2007. If he'd won that year and gone 19-0 he would have had an argument. But he didn't, and they lost to an inferior team partially because of mediocre play by Brady himself. And that's a consistent issue; his playoff and Super Bowl stats are well below his regular-season stats, which suggests that some of his statistical accomplishments come from running up the score on crappy teams during the regular season.

Since 2007 he's thrown 18 INTs in 15 postseason games, which hasn't improved his resume. His good postseason games since then have mostly been early games at home against overmatched teams. In postseason games other than New England's first, he's gone 445/734 (60.6%) with 30 TDs and 23 INTs in 19 games. And if you look at that split from 2007 to now, it's 258/429 (60.1%) with 17 TD and 15 INT in 10 games. So part of the reason it always seems that Brady isn't getting there is that he's really not helping his case much.

is this serious?

19 hours ago, georg013 said:

What Brady lacks with his legs, he more than compensates with his head and championship drive. Rodgers will never considered the best QB in the league at any point except by the fanboys in fantasy football circles. Good try though.

Not over Rodgers he doesn't.  He compensates in coaching staff quality and roster management.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Are the stats incorrect, or do the implications just make you uneasy?

For as much as Brady fans love to bag on Peyton Manning, I am sure it would stun many that Brady and Manning now have identical passer ratings in the playoffs (87.4).  Meanwhile, Rodgers is at 100.1 after 15 playoff starts.  Good luck topping that. 

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

For as much as Brady fans love to bag on Peyton Manning, I am sure it would stun many that Brady and Manning now have identical passer ratings in the playoffs (87.4).  Meanwhile, Rodgers is at 100.1 after 15 playoff starts.  Good luck topping that. 

Drops mic. 

87.4?  Pfft.  My kid could do that.  

11 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

But.....but......it's about more than just stats.  Except when talking Ryan vs Rodgers and who is MVP.......

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4799883/tom-brady-when-aaron-rodgers-is-on-i-stay-up-and-watch

“I always love watching his tape, admiring the things he can do, because I can’t do many of those things. … Whenever he’s on, I usually stay up and watch.” -Tom Brady

Now this is a smart man.  

23 hours ago, georg013 said:

For sure, and Terry Bradshaw is a top 3 qb in league history. Just look at the rings.

I'm a huge Bears fan so I can't stand the Packers and Rodgers.  I also can't stand Brady but I will not deny the fact that both are great QBs.  Regardless of who has won more SBs I would still rather have Rodgers over Brady.  I feel Rodgers is the better and more talented QB.  Does that mean I'm right?  No, it just means that's how I feel.

If I could go back in time to draft either Rodgers or Brady knowing what I know now I would take Rodgers without even thinking that hard about it.  I really think Rodgers can do more being on a number of different teams than what Brady could do.  I've always felt that a good amount of Brady's success is due to the system he's in and the genius of Belichick.

• Like 1

So, is Brady a "fanboy in a fantasy football circle?"  Because he seems to think Rodgers is pretty good; going so far as to say Rodgers does things that Brady can't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bayhawks said:

So, is Brady a "fanboy in a fantasy football circle?"  Because he seems to think Rodgers is pretty good; going so far as to say Rodgers does things that Brady can't.

"Brady saying he can't do the things Rodgers can isn't anything other than a realistic admission of what Rodgers is capable of -- it's precisely why, regardless of who's hurt and what weapons are around him, Rodgers is so terrifying."

6 hours ago, rockaction said:

"Brady saying he can't do the things Rodgers can isn't anything other than a realistic admission of what Rodgers is capable of -- it's precisely why, regardless of who's hurt and what weapons are around him, Rodgers is so terrifying."

I would agree about Rodger's ability except we've recently seen GB's offence in some pretty awful and extended funks, so I'm not sure this beyond dispute. At times last year and this year, they've looked completed lost...

That exceptional, game changing ability is really showing up today. I totally get what everyone is talking about in here. Let me guess, NOW it's a team game, right? We are going to blame the team for this? Or maybe coaching? 0 points in the biggest game in a VERY long time. Hopefully the best quarterback to play the game wakes up soon. Brady would never allow this type of shyt to happen to his team. SMH.

Edited by georg013

Just now, georg013 said:

That exceptional, game changing ability is really showing up today. I totally get what everyone is talking about in here. Let me guess, NOW it's a team game, right? We are going to blame the team for this? Or maybe coaching? 0 points in the biggest game in a VERY long time. Hopefully the best quarterback to play the game wakes up soon. 

Pretty much.  Rodgers has very little to do with this shellacking.  If you weren't up Brady's butt, you could see that.

• Like 2

Just now, dansav said:

Rodgers got shut out in first half how is the acceptable?  Take your goggles off.

What is Atl ranked against the pass?

His kicker missed a FG and his RB fumbled the ball at the 1.  If this happened to Brady, how many excuses would you be making?  He also had a bunch of easy drops.  Rodgers looked great in the first half and anyone being objective would be able to see that.   :shrug: 

• Like 1