What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch said:
I wonder if there is a more overrated QB in the NFL today. 

edit : just got done wondering.    answer is no.
Who is overrating him nowadays? I rarely see him listed in the top tier of QB’s anymore. He’s usually in the second tier now, which seems about right. He’s not on the current level of Mahomes or R Wilson, but I’m fine with putting him in the same tier as Brees, L Jackson, D Watson, Wentz and M Ryan. 

Yep. Too cool to jump in on the fumbled snap. Just stood there like a doosh.

Same look after the game as the camera was on him with nobody around that wanted to shake his hand. 🤣 Maybe 10 guys came up to him after the camera moved but I didn’t see it. 
I only saw Rogers play 4-5 games this year. He seemed way more dooshy than usual, which is pretty dooshy. 

Throwing little tantrums, rolling his eyes whenever a pass wasn't complete, looking pissy on the sideline.

Great QB in his prime but not top tier. I won't miss him when he's gone. 

Who is overrating him nowadays? I rarely see him listed in the top tier of QB’s anymore. He’s usually in the second tier now, which seems about right. He’s not on the current level of Mahomes or R Wilson, but I’m fine with putting him in the same tier as Brees, L Jackson, D Watson, Wentz and M Ryan. 
I'm a big Rodgers fan but he's not on par with any of those guys anymore imo, or really even close.  He has horrible mechanics which was fine when he had the best arm talent in the world, but now that is fading and his mechanics of always throwing while falling away are really killing him.

I'm a big Rodgers fan but he's not on par with any of those guys anymore imo, or really even close.  He has horrible mechanics which was fine when he had the best arm talent in the world, but now that is fading and his mechanics of always throwing while falling away are really killing him.
I actually noticed a few of those throws last Sunday, where a throw was way off line because his mechanics were poor.  I guess he is so used to his arm bailing him out that he still thinks he can do that, but he cannot.  I think much of his "struggles" in 2019 had to do with playing in a new offense (after having played in the same one his entire pro career prior), but it will be interesting to see how he does in his second year in the system.  Despite his declaration that he had fun playing again this past season, he looked fairly miserable for most of it. 

Part of me thinks Rodgers retires this year...he seems like a guy that has other things going on in his life.  

A stunning move by the Packers. You have Aaron Rodgers and a window that is still open to pursue a Super Bowl with him. Any other draft pick other than a quarterback moves you closer to that goal of winning a Super Bowl and adding a wide receiver or an offensive lineman sends a message to your star QB that you are all-in with him. Instead you take a QB to develop behind him and you burn additional draft capital to trade up to make that move. 

A stunning move by the Packers. You have Aaron Rodgers and a window that is still open to pursue a Super Bowl with him. Any other draft pick other than a quarterback moves you closer to that goal of winning a Super Bowl and adding a wide receiver or an offensive lineman sends a message to your star QB that you are all-in with him. Instead you take a QB to develop behind him and you burn additional draft capital to trade up to make that move. 
There has to be more to this (maybe relationship issues). You don’t normally draft a QB in the first round and have him sit more than one year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

:hophead:  I mean, it would cost the Packers $51 million to cut or trade Rodgers this offseason - read that again: FIFTY-ONE MILLION DOLLARS - so either the author didn't bother to do the same 10 seconds of research on this I just did, or knew it and decided to write this stupid, click-baity headline anyway.

Also, Fansided and all of their affiliate sites should be banished to the very lowest depths of Hell for their 2012-ish reliance on pop-ups and autoplay videos.

There has to be more to this (maybe relationship issues). You don’t normally draft a QB in the first round and have him sit more than one year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Definitely more to this.  Rodgers is also a guy that is known for holding grudges (His brother, Jennings, Etc.).  Not judging him for that, just saying that often when things go sour with him they are irreversible.  If he's pissed off at this, it isn't just going to go away, i don't see him being a Packer for more than this season.

:hophead:  I mean, it would cost the Packers $51 million to cut or trade Rodgers this offseason - read that again: FIFTY-ONE MILLION DOLLARS - so either the author didn't bother to do the same 10 seconds of research on this I just did, or knew it and decided to write this stupid, click-baity headline anyway.

Also, Fansided and all of their affiliate sites should be banished to the very lowest depths of Hell for their 2012-ish reliance on pop-ups and autoplay videos.
Well...trade terms can change what is owed though...teams taking on parts of the contract to change that.

Rodgers knows he isn't going anywhere for two years, contract says so.

What's he gonna do, mail it in for 2 years? No. He's going to try and make it impossible for the Pack to cut him, go to CHI or DET in 2 years, and kill them. 

I mean, I get the Pack fans want to get someone to help now, but late 1st rounder gonna move the needle on a playoff hunt? I dunno.

LOTS of WR left.

What is so hard to understand about this? Love is no where near NFL ready. Rodgers has 2-3 years on the clock IMO. They view Love as a future stud.....grab him and develop him behind Rodgers.

Did the same thing to Favre. It worked out just fine.
I would have drafted Denzel Mims, try to help Rodgers in his final years and get one more Super Bowl.

Rodgers was always bitter at how Favre treated him. Do you think he's going to feel the same way about Love now? Do you think he's going to want to help Love get better?

Right, it is a weird situation. The best case scenario for Green Bay is Love doesn't play a single meaningful snap for 3-4 years. Then, even if you do think he's a franchise QB, you have lost his rookie deal and have to pay him big bucks despite being mostly unproven. 

Well...trade terms can change what is owed though...teams taking on parts of the contract to change that.
Someone smarter than me actually did the math to explain why it's enormously unlikely. The Pack just restructured his contract four months ago as insurance against working without a CBA, and the side effects of that would make it more expensive in '20 and '21 for them to get rid of him than to keep him.

I'm no cap expert, but my understanding is even if a team were willing to pay GB A-Rod's entire remaining salary - and I'm sure you'd find a taker - it would be purely a financial benefit; the Pack would still have to eat the $50M in dead cap. That ... isn't gonna happen.

What is so hard to understand about this? Love is no where near NFL ready. Rodgers has 2-3 years on the clock IMO. They view Love as a future stud.....grab him and develop him behind Rodgers.

This situation is NOTHING like the Favre situation.

1.  QB's didn't play as long back then
2.  Favre had talked about retiring
3.  GB wasn't coming off a near Super Bowl season
4.  Gone are the days where your 1st round QB can hold a clipboard for 40 months before starting a game.
5. AR was a top talent that slipped, his value there was amazing.  Love's "value" at that spot was not seen as amazing by anyone.

People comparing these two situations are out to lunch.  These situations are incredibly different.

as for the "Rodgers has 2-3 years left on the clock".  If it's 2, you've just wasted his last two years by not giving him weapons and a chance to win the SB.  If it's 3, then you'll have to trade him before then, Love isn't going to be AR's backup for the next 3 seasons and I think even you know that.

Right, it is a weird situation. The best case scenario for Green Bay is Love doesn't play a single meaningful snap for 3-4 years. Then, even if you do think he's a franchise QB, you have lost his rookie deal and have to pay him big bucks despite being mostly unproven. 
You will know if he is really worth big bucks.....if you know he is not another team can be a sucker and give him a big bucks contact. 

Packers know exactly what they are doing. I can only wish the Dolphins had the Packers competence that last 20 years. 

Let's let the kid take an NFL snap. I don't like the pick but I didn't like the Rodgers pick either. I'll reserve judgement for the time being.

2020 NFL Draft: Winners & Losers

Excerpt:

Green Bay Packers

The Packers selecting a QB in the first round makes little to no sense. The Packers trading up in the first round to draft a QB makes zero sense. This is a team that was in the NFC Championship game just a few months ago and saw their defense get obliterated by the 49ers run game. This is an offense that fell stagnant last year due to the lack of talent outside of Davante Adams in that WR corps. Instead, they choose to not surround Aaron Rodgers with weapons and draft his future replacement. While they’re making the right call on forcing Jordan Love to sit for a year or two before seeing the field, this makes little sense for the short term. This is a huge slap in the face to Aaron Rodgers and I have a hard time seeing how he’s going to feel confident playing for this coaching staff next season and beyond. It’s a bizarre move that definitely muddies the waters for the immediate future.

Let's let the kid take an NFL snap. I don't like the pick but I didn't like the Rodgers pick either. I'll reserve judgement for the time being.
Oh true...I have no problem with him at all.  Not a fan of the pick at the time this year...but will pull for the kid.

He has 2 years to figure things out barring injury.

Feels like a completely different situation than Favre imo.   Rogers was supposed to be a top ten pick and had tremendous value where he was picked with how far he fell.   And favre talked about retirement multiple times by the time he was Rogers age.  As others have said it will be interesting to hear how Rodgers treats the kid the few years.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Jim Owczarski reports the Packers are moving to a more "run-oriented attack" this upcoming season.

Green Bay has yet to add a true receiver through three rounds of this year's draft, selecting a multi-year backup quarterback, Jordan Love, in Round 1 only to follow that up with an early-down bruiser, A.J. Dillon, on night two. While that's ideal for Allen Lazard and Jace Sternberger in fantasy, it obviously doesn't help Aaron Rodgers during his twilight years in the slightest. The Packers have had one of the most befuddling drafts through three rounds and that isn't expected to change on Day 3. Unfortunately for Rodgers, neither is their depleted receivers room.

SOURCE: Jim Owczarski on Twitter

Apr 25, 2020, 8:12 AM ET

It’s a surprising move for sure, but let’s slow our roll on calling the Packers a super bowl contender. They were a slightly above average team that luck boxed their way to getting annihilated by SF. 

It’s a surprising move for sure, but let’s slow our roll on calling the Packers a super bowl contender. They were a slightly above average team that luck boxed their way to getting annihilated by SF. 
They went 13-3 and lost in the NFC Title Game. How is that team not a SB contender? 

Their 3 offensive skill position picks were a back-up QB, RB who's weakness is he doesn't catch passes and a 6'2" h-back lacking any athleticism. You can't make this up!

They went 13-3 and lost in the NFC Title Game. How is that team not a SB contender? 
They weren’t a 13 win quality team. They had a very low point differential which indicates they got some good fortune including a win when Mahomes was out. They’re fine but they’re definitely not in the SB tier. 

They weren’t a 13 win quality team. They had a very low point differential which indicates they got some good fortune including a win when Mahomes was out. They’re fine but they’re definitely not in the SB tier. 
I guess we will just disagree on this. If a team led by one of the greatest QBs  of all time goes 13-3 and to the conference title game, they were SB contenders to me. Unreal what they could have done. Imagine how much better their roster would look with Ezra Cleveland, Denzel Mims, Zach Baun and Antonio Gibson. By not doing that, it's now difficult to see their path to a title. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted the following in the other thread and, surprisingly, no one wanted to address it or chose not to. The Packers last year were not that good:

Haven't seen it mentioned but last year the Packers were:

- 15th in points at 23.5 per game

- 18th in yards at 345.5 per game

- 17th in pass yards at 233.2 per game

- 15th in run yards at 112.2 per game (big drop off in playoffs)

For those of you thinking defense is/was the problem, going 13-3 on those offensive numbers is lucky. The Packers overachieved greatly last year. They barely beat Seattle in the playoffs (5 points) and had six wins by a touchdown or less. They were exposed badly in the regular season by San Francisco and again in the playoffs. The Packers addressed WR in free agency and may still get one in the draft, but WR is better than it was. A ground and pound runner is much different than Jones and Williams.

If I'm the Packers on this Saturday in the draft... I look for offensive line help first and second. Then, maybe CB/Safety position.

I posted the following in the other thread and, surprisingly, no one wanted to address it or chose not to. The Packers last year were not that good:

Haven't seen it mentioned but last year the Packers were:

- 15th in points at 23.5 per game

- 18th in yards at 345.5 per game

- 17th in pass yards at 233.2 per game

- 15th in run yards at 112.2 per game (big drop off in playoffs)

For those of you thinking defense is/was the problem, going 13-3 on those offensive numbers is lucky. The Packers overachieved greatly last year. They barely beat Seattle in the playoffs (5 points) and had six wins by a touchdown or less. They were exposed badly in the regular season by San Francisco and again in the playoffs. The Packers addressed WR in free agency and may still get one in the draft, but WR is better than it was. A ground and pound runner is much different than Jones and Williams.

If I'm the Packers on this Saturday in the draft... I look for offensive line help first and second. Then, maybe CB/Safety position.
I get that, this wasn't the 85 Bears. Rodgers averages 10.5 wins per 16 games. Like Russell Wilson, he's able to make the team win despite whatever else is going on around him. He has 10 playoff wins, MVP, SB ring. No matter what the points per game say, a 13-3 team with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback is a SB contender. They could have stayed in that window this year but I don't think this draft does it. 

Speaking Saturday, Packers coach Matt LaFleur insisted he wanted Aaron Rodgers to remain the team's starting quarterback as long as possible.

After Rodgers asked for weapons, the Pack supplied him with a first-round quarterback, yet another running back and an H-back. No receivers. "Aaron is a pro, and he's the leader of our football team, and I anticipate that for a really long time," LaFleur said in his finest coachspeak. "I have so much respect for him not only as a player but the person, and some of the stuff that nobody sees. So I can't tell you how much I like working with him." LaFleur proceeded to lay if on even thicker, saying Rodgers is the best quarterback he's ever been around, and that he hopes "he can play until he decides he doesn't want to play anymore." Those answers make sense, but they are impossible to square with the Packers' draft actions. Even after making the NFC Championship Game last season, the Packers are planning for a more run-heavy, Rodgers-less future. Rodgers has remained publicly silent, though he has reached out to Jordan Love.  

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 26, 2020, 10:56 AM ET

The Athletic's Bob McGinn believes Packers coach Matt LaFleur has "simply had enough of (Aaron) Rodgers’ act and wanted to change the narrative" with the team's selection of Utah State QB Jordan Love. 

McGinn, of course, is Mr. Packers, having covered the team for decades. It is important to emphasize this is merely his opinion, but it is notable nonetheless. In his own words, McGinn now believes the Packers have "leverage with their imperial quarterback and his passive-aggressive style." The Packers are not only thinking toward the future, but a more run-heavy one. This could get publicly ugly and bitter in a hurry, though there is still every reason to believe Rodgers will remain in Titletown for 2020. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 28, 2020, 1:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread