What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

He may be a diva but I don't blame him.  The Packers front office is more concerned about maximizing profits than doing everything possible to put a championship team around Rodgers.  While I admire some fiscal responsibility there is a time to go all in, like maybe in the last few years of a hall of fame QB.  If the Packers aren't going to 100% commit to him.  Trade him and please trade him to a team I can cheer for,.  The Packers front office has had over 25 years of hall of fame QB play.  I realized I may sound like a spoiled Packers fan but I'd imagine an even average front office gets more than 2 Lombardi trophies out of Favre/Rodgers.  But hey how about those NFC North titles...
I almost feel bad for Rodgers because he is doing all the heavy lifting himself.  The front office never really gave him a chance

Green Bay is weird because on one hand they make really smart decisions with players, draft picks, play calling but then they do absolute braindead things like last years draft and the ultra conservative playoff approach. 

I almost feel bad for Rodgers because he is doing all the heavy lifting himself.  The front office never really gave him a chance
Best LT in football...one of the best, if not best WR in football...not sure where you want to rank Aaron Jones (but pretty damn good)...has had a solid Oline...and when D got in trouble, they went out and did things to try and make the D better.

They don't take first round WRs (rarely have they in the last 30 years...Javon Walker)...but that does not mean they never give/gave the guy a chance.

Now...don't take that as me defending what this team has done the last year.  There is zero defense of what Murphy/Gute has done since the end of the 2020 season.  Drafting Love was a gigantic mistake.  A self-made error.  How they first handled this offseason was pitiful as well.  But I tire of the "they have not done this and that for him" stuff.  The OL is also things done for the QB...the head coach was brought in as another offensive guy (partly placating the QB who was a large part of the rift with the previous HC).  LaFleurs offense seems to quite good (and yeah, AR is a huge part of that too).

I think we have a mix of bad decisions last year...with a large ego butting heads.

That it has even come to this...Gute should be gone and probably Murphy too.

are the Packers the worst run franchise in sports if they dont deal him tonight? 

if you're gonna roll w Love, get the guy Pitts at 3 at least
I get it but also would trading a HOF QB coming off an MVP for a rookie tight end also be the worst trade ever? 

Maybe they knew Rodgers better than us fans and saw the situation unfolding and planned accordingly by drafting Love last year. If so, and if they successfully trade Rodgers for something decent then you’d have to respect the front office for doing what they could. I know this is not what fans want to hear. But as a Patsfan not having a plan to move on from Brady is a bit crappy. BTW, I think Love is a good arm and can have success in GB. 

Maybe they knew Rodgers better than us fans and saw the situation unfolding and planned accordingly by drafting Love last year. If so, and if they successfully trade Rodgers for something decent then you’d have to respect the front office for doing what they could. I know this is not what fans want to hear. But as a Patsfan not having a plan to move on from Brady is a bit crappy. BTW, I think Love is a good arm and can have success in GB. 
No the Love pick was stupid no matter how you view it

You would think this trade (if happening) would have to be ironed out before the draft in theory because it would drastically impact who the team would draft. For example, if it s Denver, you can't see them taking a QB knowing GB would want a different player at that 9 spot. 

You would think this trade (if happening) would have to be ironed out before the draft in theory because it would drastically impact who the team would draft. For example, if it s Denver, you can't see them taking a QB knowing GB would want a different player at that 9 spot. 
It would have to be...because GB is not going to trade him for future picks.  It has to be picks now and later.

Similar to what you are saying...yeah...GB is going to want to pick their guy with the pick...not trade for someone else's evaluation at that spot.

:lol:  true. theyd likely just trade it for multiple 1st round picks.
lol I know, just was teasing. It's a very interesting case to see what you could get for him. He has 2 huge knocks against him. He is 38 and he has already shown that he can be difficult. You get no guarantee for how long he will be play football due to durability, eroding skills and that he could just get annoyed and retire after 1 year. 

He may be a diva but I don't blame him.  The Packers front office is more concerned about maximizing profits than doing everything possible to put a championship team around Rodgers.  While I admire some fiscal responsibility there is a time to go all in, like maybe in the last few years of a hall of fame QB.  If the Packers aren't going to 100% commit to him.  Trade him and please trade him to a team I can cheer for,.  The Packers front office has had over 25 years of hall of fame QB play.  I realized I may sound like a spoiled Packers fan but I'd imagine an even average front office gets more than 2 Lombardi trophies out of Favre/Rodgers.  But hey how about those NFC North titles...
:coffee:

-The Miami Dolphins fan base, what's left of us

22 years of mostly misery and counting, would love to feel a Playoff game and what's that like. 1993 last time Miami hosted an AFCC...

That's your opinion and nothing more, trying to force people to accept what you believe does not make you correct in any way on this. I get tired of fans always trying to soften the blow, these front offices and owners could care less about you and I, they've never sent me nothing for my years of service and fandom is all I'm saying. 

And I enjoy your posts so please don't take it personal, please  ;)

Why would they deal him tonight?  Its April.  They should be focused on the draft, not worried about this noise.
I'm asking becase I honestly can't recall...

Name a Draft Year where a franchise QB with the resume anywhere close to Rodgers has wanted to seek a trade from their current franchise and the news breaks as the Draft is just hours from starting? Usually we see prospect X with a gas mask and reefer or prospect Y dancing with 2 half dressed women but we usually do not hear about things like this on Draft Day and it feels quite orchestrated with a purpose right now.  

Why would they deal him tonight?  Its April.  They should be focused on the draft, not worried about this noise.
As was stated in the Niners topic, the 1.03 this year is worth more than any future pick because a team getting Rodgers isn’t going to be picking high the following year.

let the Love era begin! 
:wub:  

Except that if this really is the reckoning and they need to trade him, they could probably get the 3rd pick out of it. With that would come a much much better QB prospect than Love. 

1.03 is the absolute best pick they'll get... be it now, or in 2 months. 

and they get players NOW for this seaosn
Do those players all disappear after tonight?  If it were me, I would strongly prefer to focus on the draft, and address this noise in the coming weeks/months.  There's no reason to act rashly on this today, unless, 1) its true he has made up his mind and is not coming back; and, 2) some team throws a ridiculous boatload deal at them.

If they hadn't taken Love, this would almost be a dream situation for a team. Your highly paid 38 year old QB is frustrated and wants to leave. You trade him and get your pick of 3 really highly valued top 10 level rookie QB prospects.

Except that if this really is the reckoning and they need to trade him, they could probably get the 3rd pick out of it. With that would come a much much better QB prospect than Love. 
Then you could trade that if you wanted for a haul. And build the team in a more economical approach. Not saying it happens. But at least you would get good value for a 38 yo QBs that could change the future of your franchise in a systematic approach. 

“Oh no, we have too many young, inexpensive quarterbacks!”

said no NFL team ever. 

Or maybe they use that pick on Pitts & get Love the top offensive weapon in the draft?

You bet ATL’s backside is puckered right now. 

Do those players all disappear after tonight?  If it were me, I would strongly prefer to focus on the draft, and address this noise in the coming weeks/months.  There's no reason to act rashly on this today, unless, 1) its true he has made up his mind and is not coming back; and, 2) some team throws a ridiculous boatload deal at them.
I would imagine that this isn't the first the Pack are hearing of this. The options then are: they dismiss it as just noise from AR or they take it serious. If they think it is serious, they would be smart to make that part of their potential draft plan. 

That's your opinion and nothing more, trying to force people to accept what you believe does not make you correct in any way on this. I get tired of fans always trying to soften the blow, these front offices and owners could care less about you and I, they've never sent me nothing for my years of service and fandom is all I'm saying. 

And I enjoy your posts so please don't take it personal, please  ;)
No problems. It is all a bunch of speculation that is fun. I do think GB has been historically better at drafting and building through the draft. 

“Oh no, we have too many young, inexpensive quarterbacks!”

said no NFL team ever. 

Or maybe they use that pick on Pitts & get Love the top offensive weapon in the draft?

You bet ATL’s backside is puckered right now. 
Teams say that every year by almost never investing in multiple young inexpensive QBs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Best LT in football...one of the best, if not best WR in football...not sure where you want to rank Aaron Jones (but pretty damn good)...has had a solid Oline...and when D got in trouble, they went out and did things to try and make the D better.

They don't take first round WRs (rarely have they in the last 30 years...Javon Walker)...but that does not mean they never give/gave the guy a chance.

Now...don't take that as me defending what this team has done the last year.  There is zero defense of what Murphy/Gute has done since the end of the 2020 season.  Drafting Love was a gigantic mistake.  A self-made error.  How they first handled this offseason was pitiful as well.  But I tire of the "they have not done this and that for him" stuff.  The OL is also things done for the QB...the head coach was brought in as another offensive guy (partly placating the QB who was a large part of the rift with the previous HC).  LaFleurs offense seems to quite good (and yeah, AR is a huge part of that too).

I think we have a mix of bad decisions last year...with a large ego butting heads.

Your a GB fan so would definitely know better, but my outside impression as a fantasy guy often drafting GB guys is that it is a bit of a chicken or the egg on the skill position talent around Rodgers. For WR's, Adams was a 2nd rounder who wasn't a stud until his fifth season in the league, is it him or Rodgers that makes him? Before him in the recent past Rodgers top WRs were guys like Jordy Nelson and James Jones. For RB's, Jones was a 5th rounder, how would he have fared outside GB had he not resigned? Most expected him to take a huge step back. Before that you have a mish-mash of converted WR's like Ty Montgomery and other late picks or ate himself out of the job Eddie Lacy. I can't ever recall a skill guy leaving GB and doing anything once away from Rodgers (but could have easily forgotten someone.)

Then you could trade that if you wanted for a haul. And build the team in a more economical approach. Not saying it happens. But at least you would get good value for a 38 yo QBs that could change the future of your franchise in a systematic approach. 
Perhaps but 1 trade is tough to make yet a lone a 3 way trade. 

we'll know soon enough.... but SF would be foolish to not throw that 3 pick and whatever else at GB to get it done now.
I really don't think SF has the ammo. Its almost got to be Miami or NY. No way Rodgers gets dealt for anything less than multiple 1sts. 

ETA: Raiders are sneaky too, as Gruden has long loved Rodgers, and has always had an affinity for older QBs. I could see them giving up like 3 1sts+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your a GB fan so would definitely know better, but my outside impression as a fantasy guy often drafting GB guys is that it is a bit of a chicken or the egg on the skill position talent around Rodgers. For WR's, Adams was a 2nd rounder who wasn't a stud until his fifth season in the league, is it him or Rodgers that makes him? Before him in the recent past Rodgers top WRs were guys like Jordy Nelson and James Jones. For RB's, Jones was a 5th rounder, how would he have fared outside GB had he not resigned? Most expected him to take a huge step back. Before that you have a mish-mash of converted WR's like Ty Montgomery and other late picks or ate himself out of the job Eddie Lacy. I can't ever recall a skill guy leaving GB and doing anything once away from Rodgers (but could have easily forgotten someone.)
James Jones was never that good, even with Rodgers. Jordy was a good prospect though. 6'3" 215 with 4.5 speed and absolutely dominant college production. Adams is an even better prospect. He smashed every box but was just slow to develop. I think those guys benefited massively from playing with Rodgers (as almost anyone would) and developing chemistry but Adams and Jordy were also really talented. 

Sure...but part of that is the luxury of having a star QB.  Also part of that is the downside of paying a star QB a high % of the cap.

Jordy, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Adams.  All guys taken within the first three rounds of a draft. (Well, all but Jones were 2nd rounders). The team just really does not take WRs in the first (and with their track record over many years now...seems wise to keep it around the 2nd-3rd round.

I really don't think SF has the ammo. Its almost got to be Miami or NY. No way Rodgers gets dealt for anything less than multiple 1sts. 

ETA: Raiders are sneaky too, as Gruden has long loved Rodgers, and has always had an affinity for older QBs. I could see them giving up like 3 1sts+.
Multiple 1sts for a 37 year old QB who is complaining he wants off of his team that was 13-3 and a game away from the SB the last 2 years. He is awesome but it's a big gamble. 

I would imagine that this isn't the first the Pack are hearing of this. The options then are: they dismiss it as just noise from AR or they take it serious. If they think it is serious, they would be smart to make that part of their potential draft plan.
I guess I would say the team certainly knows what is going on, they are taking it seriously and are considering this among all other information in their draft over the next couple days, as they considered it over the decisions they've made over the past couple months - and still, there's no reason to necessarily trade this player today.

I guess I would say the team certainly knows what is going on, they are taking it seriously and are considering this among all other information in their draft over the next couple days, as they considered it over the decisions they've made over the past couple months - and still, there's no reason to necessarily trade this player today.
It is convenient, though, and sort of perfectly aligns with adjusting your needs for 2021. That said, I think you're generally right. I doubt anything gets done today. 

Teams say that every year by almost never investing in multiple young inexpensive QBs. 
But if they have Love, and they have the opportunity to take Fields, Lance, Jones, why wouldn’t they? 

Start whichever is best. Or start Love for a season while coaching up one of the next gen guys (fields/Lance) and the. Trade Love based on the equity built by showcasing him in 2021. Or if Love is amazing, deal the dude they take this year.

I fail to see how that could be a problem for them. They still need a starter & a backup if they deal ARod.

and to your point, most teams take the Chicago route & bring in a retread like Andy Dalton or one of the Huards or some other trash.

It's almost like the guy who likes to wear a WWE belt is a bit of a diva or something.

A diva I'd take in a minute in MN though.

Jax Jags have made a phone call in regards to Aaron Rodgers? 

Green Bay could have Lawrence if they want him? I could not pass up on Lawrence or the No 1 overall pick this season for a QB that has maybe 2-3 really really good years left, Rodgers is 37 years old, 40 is not the same for everyone, naive to think he won't see some kind of slowdown over the next couple seasons. 

It is convenient, though, and sort of perfectly aligns with adjusting your needs for 2021. That said, I think you're generally right. I doubt anything gets done today. 
Well said.

But if they have Love, and they have the opportunity to take Fields, Lance, Jones, why wouldn’t they? 

Start whichever is best. Or start Love for a season while coaching up one of the next gen guys (fields/Lance) and the. Trade Love based on the equity built by showcasing him in 2021. Or if Love is amazing, deal the dude they take this year.

I fail to see how that could be a problem for them. They still need a starter & a backup if they deal ARod.

and to your point, most teams take the Chicago route & bring in a retread like Andy Dalton or one of the Huards or some other trash.
It's not a problem in theory but what if the 2 QBs resent each other or what if different players on the team have different opinions about who should start? There has to be a reason teams virtually never spend 1st/2nd round picks on QBs in consecutive years unless (or even n+1) unless they are ready to bail on the first QB due to poor play. 

Users who are viewing this thread