What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Stephen A Smith had a pretty strong take today. 

Colin Cowherd just said the relationship is OVER, there will be no going back to the Packers for Rodgers. 

His agent is the same one Carson Palmer had and helped him shoot his way out of Cinci although it wasn't easy. 

He has enough money he never has to play another snap. He seems like he is lining up options for life after football. 

I know he wants to play but he is going into the Hall of Fame 1st ballot if he never took another snap. 

9 of the last 10 years the Packers have drafted a Defensive player and the one year it was offense was Jordan Love, his replacement. Pretty awkward to explain that. 

I don’t know what Rodgers wants right now. If he thinks the team should draft according to his ego rather than their own board, I’m happy they don’t agree with him. If he wants to be the highest paid player in football again, for the third time, with an extension that runs well into his 40’s, I don’t support him in that. That would destroy the team’s ability to compete for several years, which is not acceptable in Green Bay. 
They don't have to draft to his ego but I just hate their philosophy of always looking far out.  I get having a long term plan but sometimes looking too far forward you miss what's right in front of you.  Look at the Falcons/Steelers.  Ryan and Big Ben are on the downside of their careers, especially Big Ben, and they don't seemingly have a backup plan and they are drafting weapons to put around these guys.  I'll never understand the Jordan Love pick in fact I hate it more every day.  I know I'm not alone here.

Rodgers is a tool.

He doesn't win because he's a self absorbed #####.  It diminishes greatly "how good he is" in my opinion.

Leadership is a huge part of being a good QB who wins super bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of chatter right now that Denver is the absolute front runner and John Elway is in talks right now and that Rodgers has given his OK if the two teams can strike a deal. The idea that another team needs to send a QB, the Packers for whatever reason felt Jordan Love was their QB of the future when they took him 1st Round, so Lock or whoever is really a non factor in the negotiations. Green Bay is not looking for a QB in return, in theory. 

I don't have a link, all i have are radio airwaves and chatter via text and folks who always seem to have the jump. 

Denver and Elway's track record with Manning and being able to coordinate all this is what is driving it, sounds like. 

I still think the June 1st date is going to play a big role unless Denver has money to burn and is willing to pony up some of the expense to unload him before June 1st but that seems like a waste, both sides. Maybe they work out a deal that isn't officially announced until June 1st even if Schefter leaks it daily between now and then. 

Rodgers is a tool.

He doesn't win because he's a self absorbed #####.  It diminishes greatly "how good he is" in my opinion.

Leadership is a huge part of being a good QB who wins super bowls.
What has he not done in your opinion that showed poor leadership?

Green Bay has disrespected him time and time again, and then a young head coach didn't let him fire at the biggest moment in the biggest game of the season to advance to a Super Bowl. The team you play for never takes a weapon to help you on offense in the 1st round, not a WR, not a RB, not an OL but they did manage to draft a QB, the only person on Offense they have drafted in the 1st round for the last 10 years, that's pretty bad. 

Is he supposed to wait until after he retires to speak out?

Idk man, he currently has one of the best wrs, one of the best rbs on his team, and plays behind one of the better offensive lines in football. 

I think Aaron Rodgers has first world problems - the super rich and famous with God given ability type of first World problems. A person who feels slighted by the team who has twice made him the highest paid player in football is an ingrate.

I don't see how Rodgers remains a Packer after telling the organization and his teammates that he won't be coming back. It will make him look weak and stupid. Either he gets his way and gets traded or the Packers stand their ground and he retires.

Green Bay has disrespected him time and time again, and then a young head coach didn't let him fire at the biggest moment in the biggest game of the season to advance to a Super Bowl. The team you play for never takes a weapon to help you on offense in the 1st round, not a WR, not a RB, not an OL but they did manage to draft a QB, the only person on Offense they have drafted in the 1st round for the last 10 years, that's pretty bad. 

Disrespect? Please expound. 

A few pages ago you were touting their building through the draft prowess. Why is a 1st round WR needed? Jennings 2nd. Jordy 2nd. Cobb 3rd. Adams 2nd. Driver 6th. He's had pretty solid guys over the years. They're trying to build a better team. That includes a defense that has been seriously lacking for a decade. He's got a solid running game, one of the best OT in the game, one of the best WR in the game, an up and coming TE. 

Fine, people don't like the Love pick. I get it. But for real, if/when Rodgers leaves was Tim freaking Boyle leading them to the promised land? Great, now he's in Detroit. Why not have an insurance plan if you like the kid? It's not like Rodgers is Favre and hasn't missed time. How many concussions, a collar bone, a leg, a foot, a calf?

"Diva" gets thrown around a lot. Fine. He's worthy of it. Say what you will about last year's NFCCG, he's also lost how many playoff games because the defense couldn't hold anyone? In no particular order off the top of my head, SEA, NYG, SF, AZ, ATL. Let's get him "weapons". How about a freaking defense?

The Packers brass have spent 9 of the last 10 1st rounders on Defense I do believe. And what has it gotten them? Yes, there are good players there, but you don't screw with your HOF QB who's been carrying you by not adding some shiny objects.

Disrespect? Please expound. 

A few pages ago you were touting their building through the draft prowess. Why is a 1st round WR needed? Jennings 2nd. Jordy 2nd. Cobb 3rd. Adams 2nd. Driver 6th. He's had pretty solid guys over the years. They're trying to build a better team. That includes a defense that has been seriously lacking for a decade. He's got a solid running game, one of the best OT in the game, one of the best WR in the game, an up and coming TE. 

Fine, people don't like the Love pick. I get it. But for real, if/when Rodgers leaves was Tim freaking Boyle leading them to the promised land? Great, now he's in Detroit. Why not have an insurance plan if you like the kid? It's not like Rodgers is Favre and hasn't missed time. How many concussions, a collar bone, a leg, a foot, a calf?

"Diva" gets thrown around a lot. Fine. He's worthy of it. Say what you will about last year's NFCCG, he's also lost how many playoff games because the defense couldn't hold anyone? In no particular order off the top of my head, SEA, NYG, SF, AZ, ATL. Let's get him "weapons". How about a freaking defense?
You make excellent points but this is a fluid situation. Green Bay has built a respectable defense over the years, but in today's NFL you can see where Rodgers looks at some of the weapons his peers get to bring out on the field and folks in the media seem to be feeling frustration on his part. That's been the narrative over the last 24 hours as we have come to find out. I was very critical in the NFCC when the ball was taken out of Rodgers' hands on 4th and Goal. 

Rodgers disrespected the Packers in public as well, I didn't say it was a one way street. He embarrassed that franchise yesterday and stole all the Draft thunder which turned the focus on him. 

Idk man, he currently has one of the best wrs, one of the best rbs on his team, and plays behind one of the better offensive lines in football. 

I think Aaron Rodgers has first world problems - the super rich and famous with God given ability type of first World problems. A person who feels slighted by the team who has twice made him the highest paid player in football is an ingrate.
A running back that Rodgers was begging his coaches to get on the field more for years while they wasted time with a bunch of JAGs they liked more.

The reality is we have no idea how good any of the WRs Rodgers has now or has had in the past are.  Every one of Rodgers' WRs that's ever played elsewhere has been absolute garbage without Rodgers.  Was Greg Jennings actually good or was he just the guy catching passes from Aaron Rodgers at the time?  He was only 29 when he went to Minnesota and disappeared.

Tons of stuff.  Reports that he undermines coaches, holds personal grudges against young players.  Tells WRs to do different things then the playbook, putting them between him and the coaches.  It isn't just one or two articles with former teammates saying this stuff.

Green Bay FO is a complete disaster as well, don't get me wrong.  

It's not mutually exclusive that the GB FO is terrible and Aaron Rodgers is a terrible teammate.

A running back that Rodgers was begging his coaches to get on the field more for years while they wasted time with a bunch of JAGs they liked more.

The reality is we have no idea how good any of the WRs Rodgers has now or has had in the past are.  Every one of Rodgers' WRs that's ever played elsewhere has been absolute garbage without Rodgers.  Was Greg Jennings actually good or was he just the guy catching passes from Aaron Rodgers at the time?  He was only 29 when he went to Minnesota and disappeared.
I'm still going with he's an ingrate. Reminds me of when Antonio Brown started acting a fool and Larry Fitzgerald was like, "Really, bro?" The Packers maybe haven't been the best organization at getting talent on offense, but they've been good enough for Rodgers to win how many mvp's. They're certainly not the worst. Maybe Rodgers should try out the Jets like Favre did if he feels sad.

I don't see how Rodgers remains a Packer after telling the organization and his teammates that he won't be coming back. It will make him look weak and stupid. Either he gets his way and gets traded or the Packers stand their ground and he retires.
Well he can't seem to grasp that there's no Aaron discount and that everyone gets the same great rates at State Farm.

He has a ton of say.  The threat of not showing/retiring will keep the riffraff out.  If he's moved it will be to a destination he explicitly approves of.
No it won’t.  Like Favre going to the Jets.   If they work a deal...they choose where.   The threat is then against a new team.   He can try that...but again hurts him.  Without a clause in his contract...he doesn’t dictate where he goes.

He has a ton of say.  The threat of not showing/retiring will keep the riffraff out.  If he's moved it will be to a destination he explicitly approves of.

No it won’t.  Like Favre going to the Jets.   If they work a deal...they choose where.   The threat is then against a new team.   He can try that...but again hurts him.  Without a clause in his contract...he doesn’t dictate where he goes.
It could be either.

CletiusMaximus said:
Yeah, I’m sure it’s possible they could have found a player at the end of the first round who could have had an impact in that game, but the point is they had a good enough team to win the game. They were at home and favored to win. A couple defensive errors by the coaches and Kevin King were massive.  But Rodgers also could have won the game himself if he didn’t miss on 4 plays he routinely completes for touchdowns. 

I’ll judge the Jordan Love pick when we see him play. If he’s not a starting level QB, I think they have to fire Gutekunst.  He put his career on that pick. I like the fact he had the balls to do that, looking to the future for the team, knowing he would suffer the wrath of the public and #12.  Right now, I look at how much some of these teams are giving up to take a shot on an uncertain QB and I’m happy the Packers have at least 2-3 years to judge whether they have the right guy or not.

I don’t know what Rodgers wants right now. If he thinks the team should draft according to his ego rather than their own board, I’m happy they don’t agree with him. If he wants to be the highest paid player in football again, for the third time, with an extension that runs well into his 40’s, I don’t support him in that. That would destroy the team’s ability to compete for several years, which is not acceptable in Green Bay. 
Oh man, they drafted his replacement. Everyone knew that was the beginning of the end. Its that simple. Packers and there fans are very stupid to think any different. Time to let Love take over.

What I would like to know is if the plan is for SurII to head to Green Bay as part of an eventual deal.  I don't follow this stuff closely so I'm just curious if deals behind closed doors like that are even allowed?  I would've thought, no.

The reason I ask is I read somewhere that SurII was Green Bay's highest-rated defensive player, thus lending some credence to all this trade/deal talk.

sho nuff said:
Do you think a team will trade for him without assurances that he wants to play for them?

3nOut said:
He's never said this himself. Right now, this is all rumor.  Just a week ago he said there's no reason to expect he would be playing anywhere else, which obviously makes sense since he's under contract for 2 more years.

pizzatyme said:
The Packers brass have spent 9 of the last 10 1st rounders on Defense I do believe. And what has it gotten them? Yes, there are good players there, but you don't screw with your HOF QB who's been carrying you by not adding some shiny objects.
And the one offense pick was Love.  

Do you think a team will trade for him without assurances that he wants to play for them?
I'm just Joe Six-Pack here, but I would think that's absolutely necessary if the destination team is expected to pay the Packers' price. The Packers have reportedly offered him an extension that he turned down.  I would expect he's asking for 2-3 more years at the top of the QB market, probably a huge amount up front ($60-70m) and more guaranteed.  I would think any team that trades for him would have to be prepared to commit for the same 5 years, with similar guarantees.

What I would like to know is if the plan is for SurII to head to Green Bay as part of an eventual deal.  I don't follow this stuff closely so I'm just curious if deals behind closed doors like that are even allowed?  I would've thought, no.

The reason I ask is I read somewhere that SurII was Green Bay's highest-rated defensive player, thus lending some credence to all this trade/deal talk.
Then drafting another corner (after also resigning King) would make this the dumbest front office ever.  (and I already think they are dumb the way they handled this)

I'm just Joe Six-Pack here, but I would think that's absolutely necessary if the destination team is expected to pay the Packers' price. The Packers have reportedly offered him an extension that he turned down.  I would expect he's asking for 2-3 more years at the top of the QB market, probably a huge amount up front ($60-70m) and more guaranteed.  I would think any team that trades for him would have to be prepared to commit for the same 5 years, with similar guarantees.
The question is though is whether he is being difficult to force the packers hand.

Would he have settled for less just to get out?  We will never know but certainly i think that's a possibility

Pipes said:
They don't have to draft to his ego but I just hate their philosophy of always looking far out.  I get having a long term plan but sometimes looking too far forward you miss what's right in front of you.  Look at the Falcons/Steelers.  Ryan and Big Ben are on the downside of their careers, especially Big Ben, and they don't seemingly have a backup plan and they are drafting weapons to put around these guys.  I'll never understand the Jordan Love pick in fact I hate it more every day.  I know I'm not alone here.
I agree with you and it isn't like Rodgers was approaching the end of his career.  Although, at the time of the pick, there had been some injuries.  "Missing what's in front you" is a great phrase.  That pick should have used on a player more apt to help a championship contender.

I agree with you and it isn't like Rodgers was approaching the end of his career.  Although, at the time of the pick, there had been some injuries.  "Missing what's in front you" is a great phrase.  That pick should have used on a player more apt to help a championship contender.
With how good Rodgers is the pack should be going on 4 championships if they built that team to win around him in my opinion

And for the record I’m not a blind Rodgers homer.  He was a large part of the blame in losing against the Bucs.  He had chances in the 2nd half and didn’t get it done.  I just think their best chance at another ring is clearly with Rodgers.  I suspect the Packers front office will have some regrets once he’s gone just like Ron Wolf did by not giving Favre more weapons.

sho nuff said:
... I don't buy the narrative that Packers "haven't done enough to help" Aaron.  
Yeah what is he complaining about?

After all they moved up last year to get an offensive skill position, er never mind, lol.

Packers would enter Texan level stupidity if they don't trade Rodgers now. I mean, what do they have to gain to force him to retire/sit? 

And for the record I’m not a blind Rodgers homer.  He was a large part of the blame in losing against the Bucs.  He had chances in the 2nd half and didn’t get it done.  I just think their best chance at another ring is clearly with Rodgers.  I suspect the Packers front office will have some regrets once he’s gone just like Ron Wolf did by not giving Favre more weapons.
And yet they remain one of the ore relevant teams and I was reading a lot more on how their budget and year to year operations work with no actual owner like a Jerry Jones in place, it's pretty impressive and had I adopted the mindset I have now vs what i grew up on, safe bet I might have been a Packers fan more at some point. You gotta love how they are independent and not like the other 31 teams. These type of situations arise but for the most part this organization stays above the garbage. 

When I was a kid from the late 70s to whenever Favre arrived and Holmgren, they were pretty darn awful, Majikowski was a flash in the pan but i never took GB seriously growing up. Favre and Holmgren changed all that, Reggie White had something to do with it as well. 

And yet they remain one of the ore relevant teams and I was reading a lot more on how their budget and year to year operations work with no actual owner like a Jerry Jones in place, it's pretty impressive and had I adopted the mindset I have now vs what i grew up on, safe bet I might have been a Packers fan more at some point. You gotta love how they are independent and not like the other 31 teams. These type of situations arise but for the most part this organization stays above the garbage. 

When I was a kid from the late 70s to whenever Favre arrived and Holmgren, they were pretty darn awful, Majikowski was a flash in the pan but i never took GB seriously growing up. Favre and Holmgren changed all that, Reggie White had something to do with it as well. 
They stay above the garbage because they have needed just 2 QB's in 30 years.  Unheard of.  I don't give the Pack any kind of credit for doing it the right way...its not like they knew Rodgers would be a 15 year guy when they drafted him.

As you know, having a QB in place makes everything else much easier.  Lucking into two QB's who were capable of playing at a high level for that long really made the org. look better.

Packers would enter Texan level stupidity if they don't trade Rodgers now. I mean, what do they have to gain to force him to retire/sit? 
A lot of money. You may not know this but the Packers save a lot after June 1st. Something along the lines of $32M vs $15-$16M although they will likely pay the remainder the following season. That is the sad reality of the situation, it's not like Aaron Rodgers doesn't get paid enough to put up with the Packers FO, he has made quite a penny over his career. 

They stay above the garbage because they have needed just 2 QB's in 30 years.  Unheard of.  I don't give the Pack any kind of credit for doing it the right way...its not like they knew Rodgers would be a 15 year guy when they drafted him.

As you know, having a QB in place makes everything else much easier.  Lucking into two QB's who were capable of playing at a high level for that long really made the org. look better.
I like your take much better

Sure and his beat chance at a rung is in Green Bay.  Kind of mutual there.  Also Wolf regretted that...but never took back his words that he ran the team not for one player.  That he ran it for what was best for the team now and for the future. (Im looking for the quotes...had heard some this morning in radio to that effect)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it is a "serious consideration" that Aaron Rodgers retires rather than return to the Packers. 

That is "unless the situation is repaired to his liking." It is unclear if that means trade at all costs or leaves open the possibility of a new contract. As Rapsheet points out, a "retired" Rodgers would immediately have to repay $11.5 million of his signing bonus, and another $11.5 million if he remains retired next year. Even for a man of Rodgers' immense means, that does not seem terribly likely. We are barely 24 hours into this saga and Rodgers is already playing all his cards. The Packers, meanwhile, are hinting they are prepared to go "full Carson Palmer" and force Rodgers to either play or sit out. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 30, 2021, 5:13 PM ET

As a bronco fan, I don't there is a price that is too high.  Rodgers would instantly make this team a contender.  I mentioned the skill position offensive players above, but then remember Munchak with a non-COVID season to work with the OL and a top 5 defense (on paper, anyway) and Broncos are legit SB contenders with a top QB.

Three #1s is well worth a few years of SB runs.  I'd trade Sutton, Chubb, Jeudy, etc.  My only limit is no more than 1 guy from any position group.

Users who are viewing this thread