What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

I don't really care if Rodgers is a jerk or not.  

It always seemed to me that the Packers should have done more with 30 years of Hall of Fame QB play.  More Super Bowl appearances, more rings, just more success.  They've been very good for a long time, but they have had had "one of the very top QB" type guys for as long as a 45 year old guy can remember.  

So if he is frustrated about that, I get it.  If he is frustrated because they ignore his thoughts on the roster I get that.  Maybe vet QBs shouldn't have so much power, but they do.

Anyway, I am completely ready to believe that Rodgers will stick to his guns. He can miss paychecks. He can host Jeopardy. He can probably call the Golf Channel, and be doing commentary there next week. Didn't he have a family falling out, and doesn't speak to them anymore? Homeboy has RESOLVE.  

A trade to DEN would be sick. Those weapons are a rocket powered McLaren, waiting for the right driver.  

Also, I don't have DeVante or Aaron Jones anywhere, so.....go Aaron go!!!

AARON RODGERS QB, GREEN BAY PACKERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers' release of WR Jake Kumerow was the "death knell" in the team's relationship with Aaron Rodgers.

The organization's decision to cut Kumerow just 24 hours after Rodgers publically praised him was reportedly the last straw of a disagreement that begun bubbling the moment QB Jordan Love was drafted. The 37-year-old has a "5% chance" of returning as the team's starter next year, per ESPN's Rob Demovsky, and appears to already have one foot out the door — whether it's for Jeopardy or another team is to be determined. It's a storyline that needs to be monitored since any franchise would become an immediate threat for Super Bowl LVI the moment it lands him.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 3, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

It was obviously a huge mistake to let that stud Kumerow go - guy lit the league up since.
Eh, if I have a hall of fame QB that likes throwing to a particular guy that only costs me $900k to keep, I am keeping that guy.

I topped out in high school so I'm far from an expert on how NFL QBs feel here, but to me there was a distinct difference in throwing to guys I had chemistry with and guys I didn't.  It would be one thing if we were talking about the difference between a crappy guy you had chemistry with vs a superstar that was new to you.  IE if they'd brought in ARob as their WR2 I doubt Rodgers would have cared.  But when the choice is a crappy WR who is always where you expect him to be and plays your passes like you expect him to vs. a different crappy WR that doesn't, you're probably better off with the one that gels with your HoF QB.

I think QB-WR chemistry is overlooked by GMs.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Rodgers were able to get more out of Kumerow than out of Lazard or MVIS, all while keeping your franchise QB happy along the way.

And let's not forget the other guy that Rodgers was banging the drum in favor of for years while management stubbornly told him "no thanks" was Aaron Jones, before it finally became so obvious even to them that they needed to give Jones more work after management wasted a year and a half trying to make Jamaal Williams their lead back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why people keep suggesting Jeopardy as an option.  He is one of the worst guest hosts they've had.  Stick to State Farm, chump!

The Kumerow report has to be the funniest part of this so far, but I'm sure there will be more.  I love the guy for sure, but he's played for 5 teams in 6 years, was cut by the Bills and Saints last year after the Packers waived him, and has something like 25 career receptions.

The Kumerow report has to be the funniest part of this so far, but I'm sure there will be more.  I love the guy for sure, but he's played for 5 teams in 6 years, was cut by the Bills and Saints last year after the Packers waived him, and has something like 25 career receptions.
I think it wasn't just that they dumped Kumerow, and more that Rodgers had just gotten done praising Kumerow in a press conference and he was gone hours later. Made Rodgers look like an idiot, at least from his prospective. 

I mean, look at that from a non-NFL standpoint, imagine being the best employee at your job, and you essentially tell management that some lower tier employee is doing an excellent job, and you like working with them, and then that guy is instantly fired. 

Now look at Tom Brady, getting Gronk and Brown in Tampa. Look at KC keeping Dieter around as a 6th WR, just because he's Mahomes buddy. I'm sure its far from the only problem, but would it have been so hard to keep a WR your QB likes around, when he's making the league minimum and is only being maybe the #5 WR?

I think it wasn't just that they dumped Kumerow, and more that Rodgers had just gotten done praising Kumerow in a press conference and he was gone hours later. Made Rodgers look like an idiot, at least from his prospective. 
I mean, that was the whole point though.  Rodgers was praising Kumerow to make some bizarre point -- that Rodgers is smarter than everyone else, has a better eye for talent, knows who should be on the field, etc.   Every Packer fan who heard him praise Kumerow was thinking "dude, that guy is terrible.  He's a poor man's Jeff Janis, and Jeff Janis wasn't good either." 

Rodgers spouted off to call out the front office.  Maybe he had an inkling that Kumerow would be cut.  It was a pissing match, and Rodgers doesn't back down from anyone, ever.  It makes him a great competitor on the field, but it also makes him a control freak who has difficulty with authority. 

I mean, look at that from a non-NFL standpoint, imagine being the best employee at your job, and you essentially tell management that some lower tier employee is doing an excellent job, and you like working with them, and then that guy is instantly fired. 

Now look at Tom Brady, getting Gronk and Brown in Tampa. Look at KC keeping Dieter around as a 6th WR, just because he's Mahomes buddy. I'm sure its far from the only problem, but would it have been so hard to keep a WR your QB likes around, when he's making the league minimum and is only being maybe the #5 WR?
Maybe he felt like an idiot, but if it was really just hours later, perhaps it’s a bit idiotic to expect the team to react to that? If it’s that important to him (I don’t believe it) maybe he should communicate that to the team rather that saying it on his friend’s YouTube channel. 

AARON RODGERS QB, GREEN BAY PACKERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers' release of WR Jake Kumerow was the "death knell" in the team's relationship with Aaron Rodgers.

The organization's decision to cut Kumerow just 24 hours after Rodgers publically praised him was reportedly the last straw of a disagreement that begun bubbling the moment QB Jordan Love was drafted. The 37-year-old has a "5% chance" of returning as the team's starter next year, per ESPN's Rob Demovsky, and appears to already have one foot out the door — whether it's for Jeopardy or another team is to be determined. It's a storyline that needs to be monitored since any franchise would become an immediate threat for Super Bowl LVI the moment it lands him.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 3, 2021, 1:38 PM ET
What an absolute child. 

[PFT] Brett Favre, who knows a thing or two about being on the wrong side of an Aaron Rodgers grudge, believes that Rodgers won't budge in his beef with Green Bay.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1389956608030093313?s=21

[Update] The Packers are upset teams (SF, DEN) may have contacted Aaron Rodgers to gauge whether he'd be interested in playing for them, per @RobDemovsky. No tampering charges have been filed because it's nearly impossible to prove -- as the Packers learned in '08 with Minnesota/Favre.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1389951867556450306
My reporting confirms that of ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who on Thursday cited sources that Rodgers is disgruntled and wants out, and that of Yahoo’s Charles Robinson, who on Saturday cited a source from Rodgers’ camp saying that the quarterback won’t return as long as Brian Gutekunst remains general manager of the team. As strange as it might seem, agent David Dunn has said that the straw that broke the camel’s back for his client was the team’s decision to release Jake Kumerow in early September less than 24 hours after Rodgers said on SiriusXM radio how much he valued having the wide receiver on the roster.

In addition to the Kumerow cut, Rodgers appears to have a lengthy list of grievances against Gutekunst. They include the GM’s decision to trade up and draft a quarterback, Jordan Love, one year ago, the GM’s decision not to inform him of the trade and selection before it happened and the team’s decision not to draft from a deep crop of wide receivers in 2020. It’s also a given that Rodgers has been monitoring Tom Brady’s extraordinary first season in Tampa Bay and how Buccaneers’ management has involved him, if not catered to him, regarding personnel and other decisions.

According to sources, Rodgers has mocked Gutekunst in group chats with his teammates in Green Bay by referring to the GM as Jerry Krause. The late Krause, the general manager of the Chicago Bulls during their run of six NBA championships, was loathed by Michael Jordan for some personnel moves with which Jordan disagreed. The Packers are well aware of Rodgers’ hard feelings toward Gutekunst but, at this point, are taking the high road insisting their sole focus is having Rodgers as their quarterback in 2021 and beyond. In recent months, according to sources, the Packers have offered to make the 37-year-old Rodgers the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback. Those overtures were turned aside. The fractured relationship between quarterback and team seems to have little or nothing to do with money.

https://theathletic.com/2566732/2021/05/05/packers-draft-class-might-not-help-much-in-2021-but-has-plenty-of-future-upside/

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Packers officials believe teams tampered with Aaron Rodgers. 

Demovsky cites a source who said the Packers were "upset teams may have contacted Rodgers to gauge whether he'd be interested in playing for them if they tried to make a trade" after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay in 2021. The Packers, according to Demovsky, have not filed official tampering charges with the league because tampering is nearly impossible to prove. The 49ers and Broncos have been linked to Rodgers over the past week. The Packers could be forced into trading Rodgers -- who doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract -- if the rift between the QB and general manager Brian Gutekunst proves unfixable. The Athletic's Bob McGinn reported Rodgers in a team group chat called Gutekunst Jerry Krause, the former Chicago Bulls general manager reviled and mocked by Michael Jordan and his teammates in the 1990s. There may be no coming back from that. In the meantime, drafting Packers players like Aaron Jones and Davante Adams is an increasingly risky proposition. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

May 5, 2021, 10:47 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Packers QB Aaron Rodgers told Green Bay free agents that he would not be with the Packers in 2021.

Garafolo added that Rodgers was telling his team's free agents as early as the beginning of the 2020 season that he would be gone. He also noted that it's possible the players simply did not believe Rodgers would actually leave Green Bay, evidenced by David Bakhtiari signing a four-year extension with the team last fall. Rodgers has been disgruntled with the team for some time now but it appears like he has been planning his departure for well over a year. With this level of commitment, it's possible that he does hang up the cleats before returning to the Packers. From a fantasy perspective, all Green Bay players come with an extreme downside. If Rodgers does find a new home, the change to Jordan Love will be catastrophic for the offense.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

May 5, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

Former Packers teammate James Jones believes Aaron Rodgers' situation with the team is "fixable." 

"It's not about getting the GM fired," Rodgers' friend said. "It's all about making sure we have the key guys we need to win championships." Jones also insisted Rodgers will not hold out. That was not the signal Rodgers had been sending the past week but perhaps a softening is now in order. Rodgers rattled his saber and the Packers very much responded in mind. At least initially, it seemed like a new contract might smooth things over. It is possible it is still too late for that, but the reality is, unless Rodgers is willing to sit like Carson Palmer in 2011, but the Packers have the leverage. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

May 6, 2021, 3:01 PM ET

Kuhn has it laid out perfectly.

rodgers just wants to regain some control of his job security in GB.  

all the noise about him leaving over the Love pick or Kum getting dumped is pure nonsense.  
If Rodgers wanted to maintain control of his job security, he shouldn’t have signed his last contract. Brady signed a couple of short term deals to do just that. He signed the contract a few years back, and now wants a better deal? 

If Rodgers wanted to maintain control of his job security, he shouldn’t have signed his last contract. Brady signed a couple of short term deals to do just that. He signed the contract a few years back, and now wants a better deal? 
Rodgers last contract (2018) was a record-shattering market-setting deal that paid him about $60m in up front cash and over $100m in guaranteed money.  There's no doubt it was a great contract.  He got more cash in 2019 when they converted some future money to signing bonus.  But he has no more guarantees, and the team can waive him this season (with a massive cap hit) or next (with a lesser, more manageable cap hit).  That's what Kuhn means when he talks about control.  Rodgers is the MVP, so he's justified in wanting another record deal at the top of the market.  But that also puts the team in a very difficult bind.  That's what all this is about.

Rodgers last contract (2018) was a record-shattering market-setting deal that paid him about $60m in up front cash and over $100m in guaranteed money.  There's no doubt it was a great contract.  He got more cash in 2019 when they converted some future money to signing bonus.  But he has no more guarantees, and the team can waive him this season (with a massive cap hit) or next (with a lesser, more manageable cap hit).  That's what Kuhn means when he talks about control.  Rodgers is the MVP, so he's justified in wanting another record deal at the top of the market.  But that also puts the team in a very difficult bind.  That's what all this is about.
So Rodgers misplayed his contract situation. He wants control over personnel. Ironic. 

Listen to Schefter squirm when asked about his source for the draft day story he "broke."

Spoiler:  there is no source
EXACTLY!

Sorry to say but Schefter had NO SOURCE when he 'broke' the story which is a NON-story since he simply 'made-it-up' without a source.

Adam you broke this huge story on draft day so it got tons and tons and tons of clicks and has turned into THEE top NFL story.  

So tell us, who is your source?

Adam Schefter - Their is NO SOURCE.

Whaaaa?

No source for the story, Adam Schefter made it up.  He MADE IT UP without any source.  

/END THREAD

So he wants his cake and... then wants his cake again?

EXACTLY!

Sorry to say but Schefter had NO SOURCE when he 'broke' the story which is a NON-story since he simply 'made-it-up' without a source.

Adam you broke this huge story on draft day so it got tons and tons and tons of clicks and has turned into THEE top NFL story.  

So tell us, who is your source?

Adam Schefter - Their is NO SOURCE.

Whaaaa?

No source for the story, Adam Schefter made it up.  He MADE IT UP without any source.  

/END THREAD
Oh dear lord mercy don't tease me. 

This (fill in the filthy blank) has been given way too much power in the NFL for way too long. He knows ZIPPO about the NFL, playbooks, routes, blocking schemes, zone assignments and a hundred other things you could think up and yet everyone is hostage to whatever he posts on Twitter, I truly hate this talking head in the NFL and wish anyone had incriminating photos or audio of this guy. Last person chosen for any flag football game, bar none. 

Oh dear lord mercy don't tease me. 

This (fill in the filthy blank) has been given way too much power in the NFL for way too long. He knows ZIPPO about the NFL, playbooks, routes, blocking schemes, zone assignments and a hundred other things you could think up and yet everyone is hostage to whatever he posts on Twitter, I truly hate this talking head in the NFL and wish anyone had incriminating photos or audio of this guy. Last person chosen for any flag football game, bar none. 
Did he piss in your Wheaties?

This.

Schefter is walking this back because Rodgers is trying to do damage control now.  That’s it.
Sure...but there is also some nervous walking back from Shefter with the...I know he wants out, well I believe he wants, well I believe I know...and wemt with the “many people were telling me”.

I have no doubt it was from Rodgers camp some and he worked to walk it back some.  Bit was pushed when Allen in MN got stuff from his buddy in Denver.   And thats what pushed. this when it happened

Ministry of Pain said:
Maybe you're right but he did well in the ratings and got a lot of folks to tune in who might not normally...that matters to the producers. 
One would hope the producers would care more about their brand and not destroying the show for a short term increase of a specific demographic.

There's zero chance Jeopardy maintains its level of viewership long term with Rodgers at the helm.

Btw, this is like a horrible SNL skit. Simply horrendous. And I no longer think Aaron should be in the booth. 

There's zero chance Jeopardy maintains its level of viewership long term with Rodgers at the helm.
I realize it is anecdotal, but my Mom is a huge Jeopardy fan, and was a huge fan of Alex Trebek. She doesn't follow any sports at all, and had no idea who Rodgers was when he first came on the show. She thought he was an excellent host for the show and would be happy for him to become the long term host. She is the type who goes on fan sites for shows she likes, and she says the fan base for the show liked Rodgers. :shrug:  

Rodgers was rough on his first few episodes of Jeopardy but got better as his tenure went along. People who get a job like this grow in it; watch Alex episodes from 1984 and compare to the Alex we came to know and love. This is not to say he's my first choice, but I don't think Rodgers would ruin the show if he got the gig permanently. 

In what parallel universe would an NFL Quarterback host a game show and put his career in jeopardy?
The universe where that QB is nearing the end of the physical age where he can play football and has an opportunity to land a job that can pay $10 million annually and you can physically do into your 80's.

Rodgers was rough on his first few episodes of Jeopardy but got better as his tenure went along. People who get a job like this grow in it; watch Alex episodes from 1984 and compare to the Alex we came to know and love. This is not to say he's my first choice, but I don't think Rodgers would ruin the show if he got the gig permanently. 
That's all fine and dandy but 2 years in to his 6 year contract he'd want control over who picked the questions/answers and then throw a fit and demand to be traded to The Price is Right

Users who are viewing this thread