What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (3 Viewers)

Yeah - If there was any doubt before this week, with the contract details now known and the press conferences we've seen the past two days, I think its obvious now that:

1. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers will tolerate each other for one season.  They are professionals and will do their jobs, but the tension and ill-will is mutual and probably irreparable.

2. He will play one season then be traded. He can't trade himself, and no one can force him to play, so they just have to find a destination that works for everyone.

3. The Packers are going "all-in" this season more than they've ever gone all-in in our lifetime.  They will have a difficult time with contracts in 2023 and 24.  Honestly, its not such a bad problem to have - they just have too many great players at important positions to keep them all.
Great analysis.

Agreed the cap situation in 2023 and 2024 may be a bit tight for the Packers.  And, things could work out really well for them.

Rodgers is the kind of guy who plays lights out when he has a chip on his shoulder.  At least it appears that way.  Given the team around him and his drive for another ring I expect him to play really well this year.

I also expect him to be traded next year prior to the draft.  This will likely leave the Packers with a young QB on a team-friendly rookie deal, several draft assets, and several young players to build around. 

This arrangement, if Rodgers plays well this year and they trade him next year, may actually benefit the team long term and make the post-Rodgers rebuild shorten.

Isn't it a bit rich for Aaron Rodgers to be lecturing the Packers on how to treat people? The same guy that doesn't talk to his family? The same guy who ran Mike McCarthy out of town? The same guy who after a game in Buffalo publicly questioned his coach's game plan in a win? The same guy who openly shows his disgust with teammates on the field? The same guy who is known to put receivers in his doghouse because they ran a route wrong?

Yeah, that's who I'm going to take pointers from on how to treat people.
Haha, yep.  It's the classic "do as I say, not as I do" mentality. Rodgers a great QB, but probably a crappy dude in real life. 

The funny part is he mentioned a bunch of players the other day he thought the organization treated poorly, (because they let them leave via free agency or whatever), and in most of those cases, not bringing those players back was the right move. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FOX's Jay Glazer reports the Packers have agreed to trade Aaron Rodgers if he still wants out of Green Bay following the 2021 season. 

Much was made of the fact that Rodgers' reworked deal did not include an official out clause for 2022, but it appears the sides have a handshake agreement. If Rodgers still wants a trade, GM Brian Gutekunst will back down and grant it. There is an eternity between now and next offseason, of course, but it would seem Rodgers and his front office are getting more on the same page after a year-plus of animosity. 

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter 

Aug 5, 2021, 7:45 PM ET

Aaron Rodgers completed 15-of-28 pass attempts for 133 yards and two interceptions in the Packers' Week 1 loss to the Saints. 

Jordan Love replaced Rodgers with Green Bay down 38-3 in the fourth quarter. Rodgers was under pressure for much of the game and indecisive when he had time to operate in the pocket. He targeted Davante Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling seven times each in pass-heavy negative game script. The swarming Saints defense made life miserable for Rodgers and the Packers offense, which didn't convert a single third down in the game's first three quarters. Regression looked ugly for the Packers in Week 1. It might look less ugly next week against a Detroit defense that was ripped by the 49ers on Sunday. 

Sep 12, 2021, 6:58 PM ET

We are going to get a full week of talking heads asking, "will Rodgers be traded before the trade deadline?" "look at his body language, does he even want to be a Packer?"
I just watched a recap and I’m not even sure he wants to play football. 

Before he was pulled he just looked disinterested. Like he’d checked out. 

On a scale of 1 to yikes, ilI award this 4.5 Yikes.

Yikes. 

Classic overreaction after one week?

I'm not saying it's wrong;  I'm just saying there's a long history of this, and chances are decent that a few weeks from now rabid Rodgers' fans are quoting these posts in glee because he's putting up elite numbers again. 

I'm not worried in the least about my Adams pick in my main league.   Yet.

ETA:  I watched the game too, and Rodgers looked whiney and uunenthused throughout.   But then I remembered,  he always looks like that when they are getting beat badly, so my worry went away, for now.

I'm not saying it's wrong;  I'm just saying there's a long history of this, and chances are decent that a few weeks from now rabid Rodgers' fans are quoting these posts in glee because he's putting up elite numbers again. 

I mean, week 1 is often a time of overreaction, but there isn't any history of this. This being, Rodgers playing horrible while seeming like he didn't want to be there, after an offseason spent contemplating retirement, and feuding with management. 

Maybe it all works out, and its just a 1 week anomaly, but this was as bad a loss and game that I can recall in Rodgers career. I wouldn't feel great if Rodgers was my starting QB, and I wouldn't feel great if I spent a 1st on Jones or Adams.

I'm not saying sell them off or anything, but, I'm a lot more worried about all of these guys than I am about Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry having disappointing week 1's.

I mean, week 1 is often a time of overreaction, but there isn't any history of this. This being, Rodgers playing horrible while seeming like he didn't want to be there, after an offseason spent contemplating retirement, and feuding with management. 

Maybe it all works out, and its just a 1 week anomaly, but this was as bad a loss and game that I can recall in Rodgers career. I wouldn't feel great if Rodgers was my starting QB, and I wouldn't feel great if I spent a 1st on Jones or Adams.

I'm not saying sell them off or anything, but, I'm a lot more worried about all of these guys than I am about Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry having disappointing week 1's.

Fair enough.   I see your points.  But Rodgers has been so good,  so long, that of course there's not much history of him starting off this bad.  He's almost always good.  The first thing that popped in my mind while reading this thread was 2014, though.  First game of the season he got crushed by Seattle.  He had one TD and one INT.  Second game I don't remember, but I believe the third game they only scored 7 points, and I remember the talking TV heads asking what's wrong with Rodgers.  He ended the season with single digit INTs and high 30s TDs. 

I've just seen him turn it around so often after a bad game, looking all mopey and sad, that I'm not worried much at all.  His talent is too good, and he's playing for big money next year, which isn't the best motivation always, but I bet it's enough to keep him focused even if other stuff is less than optimal around him.

I'm still on board. 

ETA:  I watched the game too, and Rodgers looked whiney and uunenthused throughout.   But then I remembered,  he always looks like that when they are getting beat badly, so my worry went away, for now.
This is a reasonable take.  I wouldn’t be worried either.  For now. 

Green Bay should have traded him when they could. He tried to orchestrate his way out of Green Bay, rebuffed their extension offer to him, gonna be a long season with a guy who doesn't want to really be there any more. His hair is different, he looks all California and his play is now suffering on the field. 

Yes, its overreaction Monday but I'm with others that feel this was pathetic and are worried. Jameis Winston just danced all over you and you could offer nothing to fire back in return with? This team has weapons and a decent OL, this was inexcusable. Was Rodgers even trying? When will that question come up? I guess now it has. 

It's a complete hair on fire Monday Morning MoP hot takes. 

Green Bay should have traded him when they could. He tried to orchestrate his way out of Green Bay, rebuffed their extension offer to him, gonna be a long season with a guy who doesn't want to really be there any more. His hair is different, he looks all California and his play is now suffering on the field. 

Yes, its overreaction Monday but I'm with others that feel this was pathetic and are worried. Jameis Winston just danced all over you and you could offer nothing to fire back in return with? This team has weapons and a decent OL, this was inexcusable. Was Rodgers even trying? When will that question come up? I guess now it has. 

It's a complete hair on fire Monday Morning MoP hot takes. 

Dude, he doesn't want to be there.  It does't take that much to realize that.  

Anyone who is now freaking over this, is the definition of a drama queen.  Who doesn't know the situation of the last 6 months?

Is there not some irony there?  I think so.  Also, other words not allowed here.

The irony is off the charts here. 

FFers are up in arms over the situation.  The funniest part is they are doing exactly what they are ripping Rodgers for. While angling for some kind of deal or opportunity.

And until he ends up putting up numbers they want so badly, the ripping will continue. 

Then, they will tell you how they knew all along and what a genius move it was to acquire him in 4 leagues they're in (even though they play in 19 and didn't draft him in one).

Pure comedy.

The irony is off the charts here
It is but for different reasons than you seem to focus on, FTR I don't manage Rodgers in any leagues, this is just pure football takes. 

-The irony is after all that off season turmoil that he lays an egg in Week 1 vs a team that had their Hall of Fame Super Bowl winning Quarterback retire in the off season, and get beat by 5 Touchdowns, it's like Rodgers has PTSD from the NFCC 6 months ago and cannot let it go just yet. Maybe he'll find his way vs Detroit next week but he looked terrible and Green Bay looked deflated, not ready to play. 

It is but for different reasons than you seem to focus on, FTR I don't manage Rodgers in any leagues, this is just pure football takes. 

-The irony is after all that off season turmoil that he lays an egg in Week 1 vs a team that had their Hall of Fame Super Bowl winning Quarterback retire in the off season, and get beat by 5 Touchdowns, it's like Rodgers has PTSD from the NFCC 6 months ago and cannot let it go just yet. Maybe he'll find his way vs Detroit next week but he looked terrible and Green Bay looked deflated, not ready to play. 
You're right, he's done.

You're right, he's done.
He will be in about 16 games in Green Bay 

Please don't be nonsensical and just shove words into posters mouths, not just mine, If you want to post or have something to further the discussion but you seem hell bent on shutting down peoples takes after a huge loss to New Orleans, you seem obtuse to that POV or any understanding of it. 

I gave plenty in my posts, you're free to think what you like but the flippant come backs are not a good look HF

Cheers!

He will be in about 16 games in Green Bay 

Please don't be nonsensical and just shove words into posters mouths, not just mine, If you want to post or have something to further the discussion but you seem hell bent on shutting down peoples takes after a huge loss to New Orleans, you seem obtuse to that POV or any understanding of it. 

I gave plenty in my posts, you're free to think what you like but the flippant come backs are not a good look HF

Cheers!
Talk about putting words in other people's posts?  What?  Relax dude, I posted my opinion, which aligned with yours really, in case you didn't notice, albeit with a slightly different timeline.

I do find it ironic that you call my opinion nonsensical, although it's not that far off from yours, save for timeline.

Look, the guy is gone, he's miserable there, he was wronged.  To what degree is arguable but who cares.  It's the fanatics that can't get over this and keep it in the TMZ zone, which is amusing I guess.

But I don't want to argue, I had no idea you were on staff and I apologize if I offended you.

Harry Frogfish said:
Talk about putting words in other people's posts?  What?  Relax dude, I posted my opinion, which aligned with yours really, in case you didn't notice, albeit with a slightly different timeline.

I do find it ironic that you call my opinion nonsensical, although it's not that far off from yours, save for timeline.

Look, the guy is gone, he's miserable there, he was wronged.  To what degree is arguable but who cares.  It's the fanatics that can't get over this and keep it in the TMZ zone, which is amusing I guess.

But I don't want to argue, I had no idea you were on staff and I apologize if I offended you.
We're good, I'll try harder next time. 

Aaron Rodgers completed 22-of-27 passes for 255 yards and four touchdowns in the Packers' 35-17, Week 2 win over the Lions Monday night.

The panic button was smashed after the Packers got blown out 38-3 by the Saints in Week 1 when Rodgers completed just 15 balls for 133 scoreless yards and a pair of picks. But he predictably bounced back in a big way in a home date with the rebuilding Lions in town. Three of Rodgers' four scores were four-, one-, and 11-yard hookups with Aaron Jones with the fourth going to Robert Tonyan. Rodgers also got Davante Adams back involved with an 8-121 line on a team-high nine looks. Rodgers actually left some big plays out there, missing Marquez Valdes-Scantling on a number of deep shots where he beat the cornerback over the top. Rodgers will get a tough Week 3 road test at the 49ers.

Sep 20, 2021, 11:10 PM ET

As a Rodgers owner I'm still a bit unsettled.  The Lions were getting some pressure on him and he missed some throws.  MVS and Lazard non-existent against a historically bad secondary.  He feels closer to a streamer than a set-and-forget QB1.

As a Rodgers owner I'm still a bit unsettled.  The Lions were getting some pressure on him and he missed some throws.  MVS and Lazard non-existent against a historically bad secondary.  He feels closer to a streamer than a set-and-forget QB1.
Well...he missed MVS multiple times.  While a bad secondary...playing that cover 2 was to limit those big plays.  Rodgers missed a few to MVS.  But MVS was the one who took the safety with him on the big play to Adams.

Not sure how much pressure there really was.  The sacks both seemed after a decent amount of time...  On one Rodgers had a quick play to the flat but looked for more and rolled into the pressure.  Thought the OL actually played well giving him time.

Very happy with the bounce back. Rodgers wasn't perfect.  Had some throws he could have connected on and early he was taking too long to get rid of the ball. Sack was definitely on him.  Still, he made some great reads and beautiful throws.  That TD to Tonyan was perfect.  Also love that Rodgers will take what the defense gives him and can still get his stats in one quarter if they run the ball a lot the rest of the game.

Everyone rolling with him @SF?  He’s had a mixed bag there. 300+ yards and 4 TD’s. Other games he hasn’t done squat. I know different teams. May be sacrilege but I’m considering Daniel Jones over Rodgers. Everyone eats against the Falcons. 

Well...he missed MVS multiple times.  While a bad secondary...playing that cover 2 was to limit those big plays.  Rodgers missed a few to MVS.  But MVS was the one who took the safety with him on the big play to Adams.

Not sure how much pressure there really was.  The sacks both seemed after a decent amount of time...  On one Rodgers had a quick play to the flat but looked for more and rolled into the pressure.  Thought the OL actually played well giving him time.
What is your take on the Rodgers-MVS connection being off. He's gone deep to MVS like 6 times in the first two games and has seemingly overthrown him every time. I'd assume it's something MVS is doing wrong like not getting off a jam, dunno. Seems like on most of those MVS misses, he's had a step, but not blowing past the defenders. If it's MVS screwing up, I have to wonder if Rodgers stops trying. If it's just a timing issue on Rodgers part, I feel that connection will hit soon. Can't tell.

ericttspikes said:
What is your take on the Rodgers-MVS connection being off. He's gone deep to MVS like 6 times in the first two games and has seemingly overthrown him every time. I'd assume it's something MVS is doing wrong like not getting off a jam, dunno. Seems like on most of those MVS misses, he's had a step, but not blowing past the defenders. If it's MVS screwing up, I have to wonder if Rodgers stops trying. If it's just a timing issue on Rodgers part, I feel that connection will hit soon. Can't tell.
I really don't know.  Rodgers has claimed he was the one one off on those passes.

He has not really given up on MVS in the past...so not sure what will happen this year if he keeps missing.  Timing does seem off.  

ericttspikes said:
Keep in mind it was raining pretty good the second half of the last game.  That can throw off timing of receiver, grip on ball, flight of ball….  One more game needed, hopefully with decent weather.  to really see where everyone is.  

Judge Smails said:
Everyone rolling with him @SF?  He’s had a mixed bag there. 300+ yards and 4 TD’s. Other games he hasn’t done squat. I know different teams. May be sacrilege but I’m considering Daniel Jones over Rodgers. Everyone eats against the Falcons. 
Yeah I can't bring myself to stream David Carr or Daniel Freaking Jones ahead of a first ballot HOF based on one bad game.  Verrett hurt SF offense nothing special right?

Aaron Rodgers completed 23-of-33 passes for 261 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers' Week 3 win over the 49ers.

Rodgers picked up where he left off last week, completing his first 12 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown. He locked on to Davante Adams for over half of his completions, including a goal-line fade to Adams for the Packers' first touchdown. Rodgers also hit Marquez Valdes-Scantling for a 12-yard strike in the fourth quarter. The 49ers took the lead with under a minute remaining, but Rodgers got the Packers in field goal range on a six-play drive for the win. Rodgers has looked back to MVP form after throwing no touchdowns in the opener. He'll be one of the top quarterback plays for Week 4 against the Steelers.

How's he lookin now Boss?

Watching the Packers game today and how lame Big Ben looks I checked out his contract and see he’s on a 1 year $14m restructured deal they had to sign because his dead cap hit would’ve been over $40m if they’d cut him. It’s still going to be pretty high when he’s gone next year, but keeping him around one more year gave them some relief. He threw over 5k yds in 2018 so they gave him a $70m contract at 36 years. They’ll be scrambling to find a starting QB next spring.  I’m not saying it was the wrong decision because he won a few rings for them and has so much history with the club, but wonder if it would’ve been a mistake to maybe plan a bit better. At least they didn’t piss him off by taking a look at options for the future while he’s still playing. 

Aaron Rodgers completed 20-of-36 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers' 27-17, Week 4 win over the Steelers, adding three carries for two yards and a third touchdown.

The 36 attempts are Rodgers' most through the first four weeks, and he's yet to have a 300-yard passing day in this low-volume passing offense. Rodgers is still insanely efficient, tossing eight touchdowns the last three weeks after a two-interception Week 1 disaster. Rodgers added a third score on the ground with a four-yard scamper in the second quarter. Both of Rodgers' passing scores went to Randall Cobb from 23 and one yard(s) out. Rodgers is a borderline QB1/2 most weeks in fantasy; he doesn't have high-number passing days and barely uses his legs anymore. Rodgers gets a road date with the Bengals in Week 5.

Aaron Rodgers completed 17-of-23 passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers' 24-14, Week 6 win over the Bears, adding seven carries for 19 yards and a third touchdown.

As expected, pass volume wasn't on Rodgers' side in a slow-paced NFC North tilt, but he made the most of his limited workload, tossing a 12-yard touchdown to Aaron Jones and a one-yarder to Allen Lazard on a shovel pass. Rodgers salted the Bears away with a six-yard rushing score with 4:30 left to play to give Green Bay a 10-point lead. After the score, Rodgers chanted "I still own you! I still own you!" to the Bears' fans in the stands. It's true. After his two-interception Week 1, Rodgers now has 14 total touchdowns to just one interception the last five weeks. The 5-1 Packers host Washington in Week 7 where Rodgers will be a fantasy QB1 against a bad defense.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Aaron Rodgers has completed 37.2 percent of his pass attempts while under pressure this season, the fourth lowest rate in the league. 

Rodgers' struggles while facing pressure have continued into the 2021 season -- only rookies Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance have been more inaccurate when under pressure through six weeks. Last season, Rodgers completed 45.3 percent of his under-pressure passes, the 12th lowest rate among NFL starters. Thankfully for Rodgers drafters, he's seen pressure on a mere 28.3 percent of his 2021 drop backs and the Packers play a Washington defense that hasn't made life difficult for opposing quarterbacks in 2021. 

Oct 18, 2021, 10:40 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread