What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

I don't think it's specifically sitting behind Favre that helped--he was notoriously unhelpful towards Rodgers--I think it's just the fact that he was able to sit for years, period. He was talented but needed serious refinement. As people have already mentioned, he's a totally different guy now compared to his Cal days, from his footwork up to his throwing motion.

Sitting a 1st round QB is largely impractical in today's NFL, all highly talented or drafted QB's are expected to start pretty early, if not immediately.

Unless you're truly talking about a developmental QB sitting behind an unquestioned starter with a stable coaching staff. Aaron Rodgers had three years to alter his muscle memory and make the new mechanics the norm for his body. He also obviously mastered the mental game in those three years which lead to him thinking less while on the field, always a positive where ingrained, repetitive physical motions in athletics are concerned.
Agreed, and I think almost every QB who is drafted needs at minimum a year or two to develop. There are very few rookies who can just be thrown into today's NFL and end up succeeding. If Rodgers had been drafted by San Francisco (or any bad team with a bad line that would have just rushed him into being a starter hoping for short-term results), he might have turned out just like Alex Smith. The world will never know. I'm thinking every good team should take note and start developing their future QB's years in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason to even bother going to their site anymore. Their grading system is obviously broken and they'd rather defend nonsens results than work to fix their system and make it better.

It all starts with the fact that they use the broadcast tape to do their grading rather than use the All-22. When you're not even starting with a view of the whole play, your results can be safely ignored. Add in an obviously broken grading system and their stats become meaningless.

They claim that a bunch of NFL teams actually pay them for their stats. Has to be horribly managed teams like the Colts and Dolphins.

There's no reason to even bother going to their site anymore. Their grading system is obviously broken and they'd rather defend nonsens results than work to fix their system and make it better.

It all starts with the fact that they use the broadcast tape to do their grading rather than use the All-22. When you're not even starting with a view of the whole play, your results can be safely ignored. Add in an obviously broken grading system and their stats become meaningless.

They claim that a bunch of NFL teams actually pay them for their stats. Has to be horribly managed teams like the Colts and Dolphins.
The comments after that article defending his "-.8 rating" are pretty funny, though.

And yea, after that article I'm debating cancelling their service. People are entitled to their opinion but if a leading sports analyst site calls that performance below average then they have no idea what they are doing. Rodgers could have dropped 7 TD passes on them if he wanted. They eased up and ran the ball a lot towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

There's no reason to even bother going to their site anymore. Their grading system is obviously broken and they'd rather defend nonsens results than work to fix their system and make it better.It all starts with the fact that they use the broadcast tape to do their grading rather than use the All-22. When you're not even starting with a view of the whole play, your results can be safely ignored. Add in an obviously broken grading system and their stats become meaningless.

19 teams use it, so I doubt it's just the bad teams.

However I agree about the Rodgers score. That's a real bad look for them.

I doubt teams care about their player grades. I bet they use them for snap counts and stuff like that that's a real pain in the ### to compile.

He's a lot better at the LOS than even last year. I love how he's messing with the dline like Peyton did.

I have never seen any QB make the game look as easy as Rodgers does.

Since 2011, Rodgers has 150 TD's to 25 INT's with a 9.42 AY/A. On top of that he's added over 1000 yards rushing.
For the sake of a reference point, over that same span, the league-wide AY/A (including Rodgers) has been a shade over 6.8.

Think about what that means, folks: the average passing play called with Aaron Rodgers under center gains 38% more adjusted yards than a pass play called with an average NFL QB under center. Thirty-eight percent!

I feel pretty safe in saying that kind of five-year string of outperformance at the QB position has never been seen before in NFL history.

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers said the Packers' offense has "struggled" the last two weeks.
"It’s nice our defense is playing so well," Rodgers said. "We’ve been struggling the last couple of weeks." Rodgers has just 465 yards and three touchdowns total over the last two weeks, but it is a far cry from the 10 touchdowns Rodgers threw in the first three weeks of the season. Despite the small dip in numbers, Rodgers still has the second most fantasy points among quarterbacks. He and the Packers' offense will be fine.

Source: Packers.com
Oct 12 - 11:51 AM

Since 2011, Rodgers has 150 TD's to 25 INT's with a 9.42 AY/A. On top of that he's added over 1000 yards rushing.
For the sake of a reference point, over that same span, the league-wide AY/A (including Rodgers) has been a shade over 6.8.

Think about what that means, folks: the average passing play called with Aaron Rodgers under center gains 38% more adjusted yards than a pass play called with an average NFL QB under center. Thirty-eight percent!

I feel pretty safe in saying that kind of five-year string of outperformance at the QB position has never been seen before in NFL history.
I'm not saying Rodger isn't great, but that particular comparison is not very impressive to me as a large portion of starting quarterbacks are terrible.

I'm not saying Rodger isn't great, but that particular comparison is not very impressive to me as a large portion of starting quarterbacks are terrible.
You're not quite giving enough credit here... those other "terrible starting quarterbacks" are top-tier athletes that have been training/playing for 15+ years. They were the best players on their high -school teams. They were the best players in their state going into college. They were their college's best players, probably in decades. They were drated highly and given tens of millions of dollars in extensions because they are very good at what they do. And Rodgers is so much absurdly better than all of those professional athletes that he makes them all look silly. Don't take anything away from those other starting QBs; what they do is impressive, Rodgers is just ludicrously impressive.

Over that span since 2011?? Some pretty established (not terrible) names on that list. It was only a matter of time before a Pats homer chimed in on this..

Over that span since 2011?? Some pretty established (not terrible) names on that list. It was only a matter of time before a Pats/Brady homer chimed in on this..
You really have a odd hard on for Brady. This has nothing to do with Brady. It has everything to do with the quality of quarterbacks in the NFL. The post was writing thirty-eight percent in bold/italics as if that's a very impressive figure. I have no idea if it is impressive because the "average QB under center" (yes, since 2011) is pretty bad because of the higher number of terrible quarterbacks in the NFL.

I have no idea where Brady would rank in that stat so it really has nothing to do with him.

Over that span since 2011?? Some pretty established (not terrible) names on that list. It was only a matter of time before a Pats/Brady homer chimed in on this..
You really have a odd hard on for Brady. This has nothing to do with Brady. It has everything to do with the quality of quarterbacks in the NFL. The post was writing thirty-eight percent in bold/italics as if that's a very impressive figure. I have no idea if it is impressive because the "average QB under center" (yes, since 2011) is pretty bad because of the higher number of terrible quarterbacks in the NFL.

I have no idea where Brady would rank in that stat so it really has nothing to do with him.
I didn't bring up Brady, you did. Maybe you should go look at that stat for that period. "Terrible" quarterbacks in the middle and bottom of the pack include Luck, Manning, Palmer, Smith, Dalton, Bradford, Flacco --

I didn't bring up Brady, you did. Maybe you should go look at that stat for that period. "Terrible" quarterbacks in the middle and bottom of the pack include Luck, Manning, Palmer, Smith, Dalton, Bradford, Flacco --
Islander are you slow? All he said was that it wasn't that impressive because the average qb is awful since 2011 which i agree. You freaked out and immediately threw brady's name out therefor you brought up his name

Islander are you slow? All he said was that it wasn't that impressive because the average qb is awful since 2011 which i agree. You freaked out and immediately threw brady's name out therefor you brought up his name
I'm slow? I freaked out? really? ok...? So you agree with Patswillwin that those QB's I listed are terrible?

He is 2-4 since 2011 in the playoffs with 10 TDs and 4 interceptions. His overall playoff record is 6-5 with just the one title. I'd pump the brakes a little on the greatest ever talk.

He is 2-4 since 2011 in the playoffs with 10 TDs and 4 interceptions. His overall playoff record is 6-5 with just the one title. I'd pump the brakes a little on the greatest ever talk.
Playoff record is a team stat.

Rodgers once lost a playoff game 51-45, yet that counts against him? LOL, okay.

While still great...he either is not trusting his guys or something.

Offense is sputtering and Brady is showcasing how to play the position masterfully moreso right now.

He's got a LONG way to go to catch brady, let alone pass him

Almost offloaded him for latavious Murray after foster went down but didn't have the cojones to pull the trigger. Really hoping the bye week and Adams coming back (semi?) healthy gets him back on his 3-4 TD a game form.

I'm slow? I freaked out? really? ok...? So you agree with Patswillwin that those QB's I listed are terrible?
I know the Ravens are in the toilet but you are off the deep end.

I know the Ravens are in the toilet but you are off the deep end.
What does this have to do with the Ravens? It has to do with Luck, Manning, Smith, Dalton, Bradford and Flacco being terrible apparently.

Think that broncos defense is going to feast on him today. Tough environment to play in and a tough defense to play against. This will be Rosgers' first really bad game in a long time and the Packers' first loss of the season. Could be an ugly one.

Think that broncos defense is going to feast on him today. Tough environment to play in and a tough defense to play against. This will be Rosgers' first really bad game in a long time and the Packers' first loss of the season. Could be an ugly one.
I'm a Broncos fan and I'm not on board with this.

I believe Rodgers has a bad game for Aaron Rodgers, which is still a good game. I believe the Broncos disrupt, antagonize and push the pace, but Rodgers is so good at sensing the rush - moving in the pocket with as little effort and the most effectiveness of any QB I've ever seen. His release is quick and he can throw to anywhere on the field from anywhere on the field.

I can see the Broncos winning, but I struggle to see Rodgers with a 'really bad game' unless he gets injured.

I believe Rodgers has a bad game for Aaron Rodgers, which is still a good game. I believe the Broncos disrupt, antagonize and push the pace, but Rodgers is so good at sensing the rush - moving in the pocket with as little effort and the most effectiveness of any QB I've ever seen. His release is quick and he can throw to anywhere on the field from anywhere on the field.

I can see the Broncos winning, but I struggle to see Rodgers with a 'really bad game' unless he gets injured.
He is a Bears fan...or at least fishes as a Bear's fan.

He predicts Rodgers' and the Packers' downfall every week.

And thought the Bears would be really good.

Someone was very right and someone was very wrong here.

Rodgers was very bad last night but I think that was in part to how ferocious that Denver D is unbelievable how fast and dominate they are. I hope people know better than to think Rodgers is not capable of turning it on at any point.

It's worth pointing out that last night's showing - by far his worst start in the past five years - took Rodgers' AY/A in the 2011-15 time span all the way down to 9.33.

Peyton's in second place during that period at 8.25.

Someone was very right and someone was very wrong here.

Rodgers was very bad last night but I think that was in part to how ferocious that Denver D is unbelievable how fast and dominate they are. I hope people know better than to think Rodgers is not capable of turning it on at any point.
Cris Collinsworth said it best last night ... any lesser QB would have been sacked 10 times against that defense last night. I don't think there's team in the league that could have beat the Broncos.

That said, GB definitely needs to implement some Patriots scheme with the rubs and picks... MMQB described it the best, go read this week's article.

Users who are viewing this thread