What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (2 Viewers)

Both of those guys were actually pretty light on their feet.

Rudi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIKmHtsqTw

Greene: https://youtu.be/1yPN0Oa2YqM?t=1m44s

The "plodder" reputations that they have might come from their fairly bland NFL production, but they could move quite well.

I think Perine is definitely the same species of RB. Low center of gravity. Light feet and loose hips for a big man. Okay, but not amazing initial burst and long speed. I don't think he will be a superstar in the NFL where sheer mobility is paramount for a back, but I'd say that Rudi/Greene is an overall positive comparison since both of those guys were multi-year 1000+ yard rushers in the NFL. If Perine can be a similar player with slightly better long run and receiving skills, he could flirt with some top 10 seasons and should at least have some good RB2 years. That's pretty much how I see him. Solid 2nd-3rd round NFL pick who will have some useful FF seasons.
Wiggle is hips not feet.  Perine's feet and hips are as good as that of Giovani Bernard and he outweighs him by 30 lbs.

Joe Mixon being a much better receiving RB doesn't mean Perine isn't "good" at it.  This is like Kenyan Drake/Derrick Henry.  People thought since Henry wasn't used as a receiver much he wasn't good at it.

Oklahoma junior RB Samaje Perine rushed for 239 yards and a touchdown on 37 carries in the school's 38-20 win over Oklahoma State.
Perine could have easily scored another touchdown, but on the final drive he took a knee at the one yard line to run out the clock. Perine's name gets lost in the running back shuffle, however, that could change as many file through the ball carriers leading up to the 2017 NFL Draft. That is if Perine declares for the draft.

Dec 3 - 4:30 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter relays that "scouts aren't sure about [Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine's] ability to make pro-caliber defenders miss."
Reuter adds that scouts are "also unsure about his explosiveness given his current weight (listed at 235)." The analyst notes that Perine has had notable drops in terms of touches (263 carries as a freshman dropping to 196 this past season) and yards per tote (6.5 YPC as a freshman dropping to 5.4 YPC this past season). At least on the former point, the reason for that carry drop would logically be that as a freshman, Perine was not splitting time with then-suspended RB Joe Mixon. "Coming into the combine in top shape, and testing better than expected," Reuter writes, "would quiet some critics and raise [Perine's] draft stock."

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 21 - 6:39 PM

I like Perine a lot.  I think he's better than Mixon.
I wouldn't go that far, Mixon as a talent is right there with Cook and Fournette in my eyes, just ahead of McCaffery. That said, Perine is very underrated, I think he is a much better prospect than Foreman or Kamara are. He's probably my #5 RB in this class.

I wouldn't go that far, Mixon as a talent is right there with Cook and Fournette in my eyes, just ahead of McCaffery. That said, Perine is very underrated, I think he is a much better prospect than Foreman or Kamara are. He's probably my #5 RB in this class.
Well, from a pure talent point of view, I'm not sure I can definitively say that.  I really meant that I have Perine ranked higher as a dynasty rookie which takes into account Mixon's extra baggage.  From a talent perspective, they're hard to compare because they are different players.  I loved Jordan Howard last year and Perine looks like a faster Howard.  I'm excited to see how the NFL values him.

Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine recorded 30 reps in the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine.

There may be questions about Perine's explosivness and shake 'n' bake abilities, as last month, NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter passed along word that scouts have concerns about the Oklahoma product's "ability to make pro-caliber defenders miss." Perhaps the 5-foot-11, 233-pounder will just run through them instead. To provide a little context for Perine's 30 reps on the bench press, Florida State RB Dalvin Cook put away 22, Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara managed 15 and Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey wobbled out after 10. Rotoworld's Josh Norris, by-the-by, managed a mighty half-a-rep when he tried his hand at the bar.

Source: Trevor Sikkema on Twitter 
Mar 2 - 4:55 PM

NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport spoke with two NFL general managers who were impressed by the physical stature of Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine.
Perine lacks the wheels of a Leonard Fournette or Dalvin Cook -- he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds on Friday -- but he is, no caveat, one of the strongest backs in the class. The 5-foot-11, 233-pound Oklahoma product put in 30 reps in the bench press on Thursday -- just five fewer than Utah G Isaac Asiata, who led all offensive linemen with 35 reps.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Mar 3 - 3:14 PM

I don't get the love either. Not much upside for fantasy unless he ends up in L.Blount type situation.
He has never been a blazer but his pad speed is surprising.  The most powerful back in the class, 30 reps on bench.  Ran the shuttle pretty good too.  Yeah he's not going to have a bunch of 50+ yard runs in the NFL, but I think you guys are in for a pleasant surprise.  Hopefully he can hold up, he gets dinged with his running style.  But then again, so did Fournette.

The best thing about Perine is he is a team first player and has kept his nose clean.  He's a class act, and will be great in the locker room.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

He has never been a blazer but his pad speed is surprising.  The most powerful back in the class, 30 reps on bench.  Ran the shuttle pretty good too.  Yeah he's not going to have a bunch of 50+ yard runs in the NFL, but I think you guys are in for a pleasant surprise.  Hopefully he can hold up, he gets dinged with his running style.  But then again, so did Fournette.

The best thing about Perine is he is a team first player and has kept his nose clean.  He's a class act, and will be great in the locker room.

I wouldn't write him off yet.
Not totally ripping him. I mean Blount was a fantasy stud this year. I try to avoid 2 down backs unless they play on a high scoring offense. 

Not totally ripping him. I mean Blount was a fantasy stud this year. I try to avoid 2 down backs unless they play on a high scoring offense. 
He actually has pretty soft hands.  Just because he's big, doesn't mean he can't catch.  However, the "experts" are saying he's only a two down back.  I think that all depends on where he ends up.  He can do it all, it was just overshadowed by Mixon, who could catch better.

He actually has pretty soft hands.  Just because he's big, doesn't mean he can't catch.  However, the "experts" are saying he's only a two down back.  I think that all depends on where he ends up.  He can do it all, it was just overshadowed by Mixon, who could catch better.
That's fair to say he's a better pass catcher than OU let him show. However, I have a really hard time envisioning him as a player that excels in the area of receiving. There are just too many good pass catching backs out there for me to expect Perrine to become a 3 down player.

Perfect fit for Oakland to replace Lat Murray in their RBBC, especially now that he will likely fall to rd 3 or beyond.

I like him. The 40 is a result of not having long speed rather then not having burst. He's not going to turn 20 yard runs into 80 yard runs but if he can consistently turn 3 yard runs into 5 yard runs and 7 runs into 15s then he can be very effective. Both for NFL and FF. 

Also, we (myself included) like to think of speed guys as 3rd down backs but really how many routes other than check downs? And if Perine can pass pro (and with his strength I think he can) then he could be a solid third down back for some teams. If he were to fall to the 3rd round I think he could be a great value for the Packers or the Colts. Let him beat up on sub packages defenders as they run with 3 or 4 WRs. He's has experience successfully blocking in space for a moving QB. 

My biggest knock on him (I've only got to see two videos though) is that he doesn't see the outlet holes beside him and will stall out against the back of an OL. This isn't a major concern though for GB or Indy because the just need the run game to get what is blocked for. And beat up some guys along the way. 

2015/2016 stats when Mixon and Perine played together.

Mixon:

300 carries/2027 yards/6.76 YPC

Perine:

422 carries/2409 yards/5.71 YPC

Mixon averaged a full YPC over a large sample size.  That is massive difference.

A whole lot of people falling in love with a RB that spent too much time working on the bench and not enough time on the lower body. That's not a metric to be enamored with for a RB. It's real hard for guys to make a living running over people in the NFL. The guys they have to run over are real big and real fast. 

2015/2016 stats when Mixon and Perine played together.

Mixon:

300 carries/2027 yards/6.76 YPC

Perine:

422 carries/2409 yards/5.71 YPC

Mixon averaged a full YPC over a large sample size.  That is massive difference.
That's because Mixon is a better RB. Doesn't mean Perine is bad, it just means Mixon is really good at football. Not so good at real life though. 

A whole lot of people falling in love with a RB that spent too much time working on the bench and not enough time on the lower body. That's not a metric to be enamored with for a RB. It's real hard for guys to make a living running over people in the NFL. The guys they have to run over are real big and real fast. 
It's VERY hard to make a living like that but it is possible. I think that's why it's so important that he goes to a pass first offense. In theory, smaller defenders and less carries. For FF he's would be an RB3. Looking to get 12-15 carries for 50-60 yards, a couple catches for 10-15 yards and a TD. Basically, just a touch below Lacy's stats. 

@Borden what is your opinion about Perine compared to Jordan Howard as prospects?

I see some similarity between then, just wondering what things you might consider different about these two players prior to being drafted in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Borden what is your opinion about Perine compared to Jordan Howard as prospects?

I see some similarity between then, just wondering what things you might consider different about these two players prior to being drafted in the NFL.
I've only watched 2 videos Perine. And I watched them on my phone during a safety meeting. 

Right off the bat, Howard has more speed. A better comp to Perine might be Eddie Lacy. Lacy has better cuts but I think Perine is better into and through contact. A style more Bettis and Tolbert. 

I've only watched 2 videos Perine. And I watched them on my phone during a safety meeting. 

Right off the bat, Howard has more speed. A better comp to Perine might be Eddie Lacy. Lacy has better cuts but I think Perine is better into and through contact. A style more Bettis and Tolbert. 
If you can find time for it, watch some more and revisit this later. Here are his DB videos.

I think he looks more explosive in 2014 than he does in 2016 and I wonder why that is.

If you can find time for it, watch some more and revisit this later. Here are his DB videos.

I think he looks more explosive in 2014 than he does in 2016 and I wonder why that is.
Waldman already did a Boiler room on his change in body weight.     Much more elusive 2 years ago than this past year, noticeably thicker in 16

Waldman already did a Boiler room on his change in body weight.     Much more elusive 2 years ago than this past year, noticeably thicker in 16

The Sooners' leading rusher in 2015, with 1,349 yards and 16 touchdowns, will miss spring practice after having surgery to repair a ligament in his ankle, which he hurt in the Orange Bowl against the Clemson Tigers, per ESPN's Matt Fortuna.

That could explain both the extra weight and the slower speed. 

Man you guys are really mis-informed you watched two videos or even a handful of highlights and now you are experts on him.

He only trained his upper body strength?  My goodness you have no idea...this guy has tree trunks for legs he can squat a billion pounds.  He was one of the strongest players on the entire team.

He has amazing work ethic, is a team first player, is a joy in the locker room, has the maturity of a 50 year old man.  He is EVERYTHING a NFL team would want in a player and whoever gets him is going to STEAL one of the best backs in the draft.

You can over analyze his 40 time all you want, I'm telling you this guy plays much faster than a stopwatch and his pad speed is totally different.  No he's not going to be running away from NFL defenders but he is by no means a plodder.

He is first round talent overshadowed by a RB rich draft class.  Somebody is going to steal him in this draft and if he finds the right scenario he will absolutely be fantasy relevant.

I know I'm a homer and everybody will discount it but this guy is legit.  I watch a ton of college football and almost every OU game.  Do not underestimate this man and what he can do.

OU#1 do you think Perine looked slower in 2016 than 2014?

If so, my question is why is that? Did he lose some speed because of his injury? Did he lose speed because of putting on more weight? 

I think we are all trying to learn more about these players by sharing opinions and observations. I wouldn't be talking about Perine if I were not genuinely interested in him. I tend to agree with some of what you are saying that Perine is a player who might be a steal of this draft. I appreciate your opinion as a fan of football and a fan of this team.

Let me pose the same question to you (or anyone) I did Borden. Do you see similarities in Perine and Jordan Howard as a college player?

OU#1 said:
Man you guys are really mis-informed you watched two videos or even a handful of highlights and now you are experts on him.

He only trained his upper body strength?  My goodness you have no idea...this guy has tree trunks for legs he can squat a billion pounds.  He was one of the strongest players on the entire team.

He has amazing work ethic, is a team first player, is a joy in the locker room, has the maturity of a 50 year old man.  He is EVERYTHING a NFL team would want in a player and whoever gets him is going to STEAL one of the best backs in the draft.

You can over analyze his 40 time all you want, I'm telling you this guy plays much faster than a stopwatch and his pad speed is totally different.  No he's not going to be running away from NFL defenders but he is by no means a plodder.

He is first round talent overshadowed by a RB rich draft class.  Somebody is going to steal him in this draft and if he finds the right scenario he will absolutely be fantasy relevant.

I know I'm a homer and everybody will discount it but this guy is legit.  I watch a ton of college football and almost every OU game.  Do not underestimate this man and what he can do.
I agree with everything except the 1st round talent part.  I think he can easily be a capable NFL starter.  How soon he can get that opportunity is the key.

OU#1 said:

You're starting to remind me of a Nebraska homer that swore Abdullah was the greatest rb ever, but it wasn't because he was a homer, he just got to see him first hand. Sometimes homers aren't the best judges of players.

@OU#1

The "two video" thing is probably directed at me since I was the one that mentioned that. I'm open to changing my opinion but when an RB comes to a stop right behind his lineman and doesn't see the hole right beside him, that's a problem. Watch Cook videos but look at his ability to setup blocks and find holes consistently. Perine is okay at this but not elite. He doesn't have elite speed. Without those either of those things it gets difficult to build a plan for your run game because your plays (stretch or OZ) to the outside requires them. Teams need to have a plan for how to effectively use him or be in an offensive set that naturally stretches the defense horizontally. 

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler says the Vikings, Steelers and Panthers showed the most attention to Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine at the school's pro day.

The fit makes too much sense for the Panthers, and Perine should be viewed as a priority possibility if the team avoids the position in round one. Perine's game mirrors current Jonathan Stewart in many ways, absorbing tackles with balance to pick up difficult yards on final contact. Perine also displays straight line speed for his size. He tested in the 24th percentile among running backs.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

OU#1 do you think Perine looked slower in 2016 than 2014?

If so, my question is why is that? Did he lose some speed because of his injury? Did he lose speed because of putting on more weight? 

I think we are all trying to learn more about these players by sharing opinions and observations. I wouldn't be talking about Perine if I were not genuinely interested in him. I tend to agree with some of what you are saying that Perine is a player who might be a steal of this draft. I appreciate your opinion as a fan of football and a fan of this team.

Let me pose the same question to you (or anyone) I did Borden. Do you see similarities in Perine and Jordan Howard as a college player?

His 40 time is like a fullback. That's garbage. He must be one of those "game speed" types or somesuch. I wouldn't call him fast or a blazer or anything, but he moves and you don't watch him with this "wow he's slow" mentality at all.

I haven't looked but...remember a few years ago when everyone was obsessed with BMI? I think Perrine is probably going to be fantastic to those types. 

IMO he has the classic stocky RB bod. Compare him to MJD or just about any that type. 

He's a tough runner not a fancy runner. We're going to have to see him bang into NFL defenders. Some of these types like Ricky or Alstott have no trouble mixing it up in the NFL while others simply can't do it.

I think this time of year people are OK to do this- Check out his domination of Kansas. He beasted for 400 yards. All of your thoughts like "well they are not this team, they are not an NFL defense"...use them, tone it down for him. You'll probably come to something realistic.

The "he only ran for" people aren't fair. He shared the backfield. On the carries he got, he averaged 6 and sometimes 7pc. And "only 100 yards" has never been a negative for a running back, why do people say that? 

I wind up with two thoughts-

He's perfect for today's NFL with shared backfields. He may not be for FF until he's a starter, but he succeeds as a "sharer." By this I also mean where he's drafted. He's not going first round. He's probably 4th or 5th. He's a solid 4th 5th round pick. He'll do his part  and the lower expectations really work out well for him. He's not a first rounder so stop comparing him to them. A lot of teams draft garbage in the 5th and later. This guy is a nice pick

How come no one is suggesting a team draft both OU backs? Perrine seems easily available later in the draft and this seems so doable. All the garbage about sharing and guys wanting a chance and 3rd down back stuff and..skip all that, here is a ready made backfield

Pro day 40s are allllways lower. 4.59 is extremely slow.
Yeah they usually are due to hand held times or a fast surface. It also helps players to be in a familiar place, their comfort level. The players get a bit worn out waiting and talking with different people all day at the combine. Here is an article talking about this somewhat from a former players point of view.

The 40-yard dash is a moneymaker at the combine and that rule still applies at pro days where prospects light up the track. And some of those tracks are, well, faster than the turf inside of Lucas Oil Stadium. That's understood with pro scouts.

When I ran back at Iowa in 2000, the old-school AstroTurf in the indoor facility was super quick. Why? Because a summer storm ripped the roof off the bubble and blew that thing down the road somewhere. After that turf baked in the sun, it turned into stone and provided us with a lightning fast surface to test on. The result? My 40 time dropped a full tenth of a second -- from 4.49 at the combine to 4.39. We were flying on that stuff.

And don't forget: A lot of the 40 times you'll hear thrown around after pro days are from handheld stopwatches instead official electric times like at the combine. So when we see a guy rip of a low 4.3 or even a 4.2 on campus, it doesn't always speak to his true pro speed. I mean, that's what Deion Sanders ran. And his time was legit.
That said if it were not for pro days we wouldn't have any information to work with in regards to Mixon and other players who did not participate at the combine. 

So as this is the only information one has for these players, does that make this information invalid because of supposedly faster times at the pro day? 

If it is true that pro day times are faster, how much faster? Has anyone done a study on this?

Oaklahomas pro day.

Some key players here and their 40 times

DeDe Westbrook 4.38 and 4.34

Joe Mixon 4.43

Samjae Perine 4.59 and 4.62

If your belief is that these times are faster than they would be at the combine, by how much?

Samjae Perine ran a 4.66 and a 4.7 at the combine.  So about a .07 second difference between the combine times and the pro day.

If that is the case then Joe Mixon should be considered to have a 4.5  and Westbrook ran a 4.45

For me the timeliness of the pro day in relation to the combine  suggests to me that what Samjae said about having a soreness from lifting that caused him to run a bit slower than he normally would (times he tested at during preperation for the combine).

Samjae Perine was 233 lbs at the combine and the pro day was only a few days after the combine. So it is not like he lost 10 or more pounds in such a short time frame to run a faster time. I tend to think his explanation of of a strained muscle makes sense here and his times of 4.59 and 4.62 reflect more what I was expecting from him at that weight.

This isn't slow for a RB or a RB of his size. Many successful RB recently have a similar 4,6 40 times. For example 

CJ Andeerson

Leveon Bell

Matt Jones

Mark Ingram

TJ Yeldon

Carlos Hyde

Alfred Morris

Legarratte Blount

Arian Foster

I would caution you against using a single timed number at one point of time as the sole determination of a players athleticism. It seems obvious that these times are very much in flux and can change from day to day week to week. It is difficult to say with any certainty what a players actual average times may be, because the data isn't tested frequently enough to know that.

The data is meant to support what you are seeing on film, not to replace it. If you think Perine looks slow then the data should confirm that opinion for you. If you are like me (and some others) and think Perine looked a lot faster in 2014 than 2016 that raises some other questions about why that is.

If it is because of Perine putting on extra weight, what happens if an NFL team asks him to play at 225 or 220 lbs? Does that mean he will get a bit faster? Say perhaps a 4.55 guy at that weight? Is that still too slow?

Somebody on here (ZWK, EBF?) talked about this last year or the one before. Don't remember the exact number but yeah pro days are faster. Not irrelevant but I would say that considering it's a proday time, 0.06 seconds means it's about the same as his combine and maybe even worse.

He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. I don't see any burst, he looks like a fullback. It's very hard to predict what he'd look like if he lost 15 pounds. I went back and looked at some scouting reviews after reading all the positive stuff here and the weaknesses mentioned was what I question with him.

quote - All bully with very little ballerina as a runner. Lacks loose hips to make sudden lateral escapes or take advantage of a late opening. Doesn't have the big burst to jet from first to third level. Low-knee action keeps his lower body covered with hands and tackle attempts. Has prolonged gear-down to make open field cuts. Needs a clear path early in the rep. Missing restart quickness when slowed by initial defender. Play speed is very average. Could have troubles getting to the edge against NFL speed.

Users who are viewing this thread