Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Nick Chubb - RB Georgia, Dynasty

EBF

It should be said that Chubb owners drafted him knowing he had the least opportunity, apparently, of all the rookies.

Some took him because he was the last back, but MOST took him over Kerryon and Royce.  They took talent over opportunity.  It's a long term move.

How many are going to suddenly fall out of love with him after one year in a committee, when that's what was expected?

• Like 4

Meanwhile the other rookie runners so far have: a knee procedure, a sprained MCL, supposedly splitting a backfield or maybe even behind Carson, can’t pass block and losing work to Barber. I guess Kerryon is looking solid so far. Nobody is going to be losing faith at this point.

ETA- oh yeah and Freeman supposedly behind Booker.

Edited by Cobbler1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DansRams said:

There will be some leagues with stubborn (maybe rightfully so) Chubb owners, but many leagues will have a disappointed owner who likes a shiny new object at 1.7 - 1.12 in a rookie draft and will trade him for the pick.  Happens frequently enough, that "highly doubting" is highly suspect.

Kinda like they're doing now with Joe Mixon?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, massraider said:

It should be said that Chubb owners drafted him knowing he had the least opportunity, apparently, of all the rookies.

Some took him because he was the last back, but MOST took him over Kerryon and Royce.  They took talent over opportunity.  It's a long term move.

How many are going to suddenly fall out of love with him after one year in a committee, when that's what was expected?

Exactly. I envision the Indiana Jones Grail Knight saying "He chose poorly" whenever someone complains about Chubb not producing in 2018. If you didn't draft knowing that 2018 was likely a committee season, then you chose poorly. I was able to trade back into round 1 and grab him as he fell, knowing very well it wasn't going to pay off until 2019 at the earliest. I was hoping for some GL carries. 

I see a lot of Joe Mixon scenario in Chubb, and I even referenced it in earlier pages. I see a Joe Mixon season ahead of Chubb, best case scenario pending injuries 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Kinda like they're doing now with Joe Mixon?

What I’ve been saying all offseason - seeing Mixon’s value this offseason hold if not rise was a prime reason I was fine moving up to take Chubb at 1.3-1.4 across the board. I don’t think Mixon’s on Chubb’s level once the dust settles in 2019.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

got Chubb At 1.10 and DJ Moore at 1.11 a couple weeks ago in my 16 team IDP dynasty. Feel great about that.

ETA - since everyone cares, i then grabbed Gallup at 2.11 :clap:

Who in the world were the other 8 of the top 9?!

2 hours ago, DansRams said:

Paying a top 3-4 rookie pick (1.2 even worse) was a big mistake for most that did.  He won't help your team this year and you will be able to acquire him cheaper in the off-season next year (my guess is owners will be able to acquire him for a mid/late 1st.)  

Last I checked dynasty is a long game, if you think you're going to buy cheaper during the season or in the offseason you will be mistaken. Guys like Chubb hold their value and anyone with a brain knows he was a future play. If you took him thinking he'd be a bellcow y1 than you aren't very smart. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a lot of the work towards the middle-end of the season, especially if they are out of the playoffs and/or Hue is fired. He is the future, not the present (see Baker Mayfield).

Derrick Henry has been in a similar situation. He had a talented vet in front of him, young QB, and franchise building. I don't see a huge discount in his value and we're in y3. Guys like him and Chubb will always hold their value for 2-3 years. Of course there are some idiots out there that will sell low, not in most of my leagues. 

Henry ADP

https://gyazo.com/22613fbc88abc61af1d55e4edd4e2188

Edited by dipandglide

2 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

Rich Hribar✔@LordReebs

Nick Chubb is someone who you can throw the box score out on last night. He truly had no chance at all. PFF actually credited him 26 yards yards after contact despite only rushing for 11 yards total.

10:00 AM - 10 Aug 2018

Pffft.  I learned two years ago, as a Gurley owner, that most fantasy participants will ignore logic like this.

2 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Meanwhile the other rookie runners so far have: a knee procedure, a sprained MCL, supposedly splitting a backfield or maybe even behind Carson, can’t pass block and losing work to Barber. I guess Kerryon is looking solid so far. Nobody is going to be losing faith at this point.

ETA- oh yeah and Freeman supposedly behind Booker.

It takes some discipline to downplay insane opportunity, but there's a lot of history of it paying off.

Nick Chubb - RB -  Browns

Browns RB Nick Chubb rushed 11 times for 53 yards and a touchdown in Friday's preseason game versus the Bills.

Chubb added two receptions for zero yards in the receiving game. A week after finding no room to run, Chubb still ran into offensive issues on Friday, having runs of 14 and 17 yards surround a handful of carries where he was hit in the backfield. Chubb's best run came on a 17-yard scamper off the left side where he went out of bounds at the 1-yard line, setting up his own touchdown plunge three plays later. Chubb is the clear backup to Carlos Hyde and is even behind Duke Johnson for rushing volume. Chubb is nothing but a late-round stash at this stage for fantasy purposes.

Aug 17 - 10:43 PM

Watched some highlights on Twitter. No need for panic just yet, but through two weeks of preseason play he looks a little less impressive than I expected. Not as bouncy in space as I thought. Footwork a touch slow at times. The burst is there and he's a size/speed monster, but he's not going to be Mr. Jukes in space from what I can see. He did have a couple nice runs in tonight's game though and definitely looked better than last week.

I had him ranked pretty firmly ahead of Penny and Freeman for rookie drafts, and it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out. The margin may not be what I thought it was, or he could even turn out worse. Still too early to say. I have a little less confidence in that call than I would've a month ago, but on the other hand he doesn't look terrible.

Doing my bi-weekly Chubb search and came across this article that dropped Monday. 

Browns coach on Nick Chubb: 'Everything he does is violent'

The former Georgia standout's position coach with the Browns is former Alabama quarterback Freddie Kitchens, who recently gave Chubb tremendous praise for his abilities between the white lines by using a word that most of society would love to avoid outside of the confines of a football field.

"He has a great work ethic. He is physical in everything that he does," Kitchens said via the Browns official website. "He will take a handoff, and the handoff is violent. I think that is a very unique perspective from a running back standpoint that everything he does is violent. I think that he brings that to the table."

Kitchens also tabbed Chubb as an "all business" player.

Those runs are more impressive when you see them from this angle. Watching the YouTube highlights from the sideline cam, I wasn't that impressed, but here you can really appreciate the quality of cuts and movement.

Still don't like this from a redraft standpoint with Hyde and Johnson around. If they really have the balls to pull the trigger on him as the week one starter then it could go nuclear though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EBF said:

Those runs are more impressive when you see them from this angle. Watching the YouTube highlights from the sideline cam, I wasn't that impressed, but here you can really appreciate the quality of cuts and movement

Hilarious that so many were writing him off after week 1, as having "cinder block feet" and "no wiggle" :lol:

You can't fake those cuts. Only a highly skilled runner can pull those off, and pull them off he did.

Behind the 1s, he'll lock the starting role sooner than later.

• Like 1

Nick Chubb rushed 14 times for 46 yards in Thursday's preseason game against the Eagles.

The No. 35 overall pick wasn't targeted in the passing game. Chubb got some run with the first-team offense, but the majority of his snaps came after the break. Chubb's only first half run was his most impressive, as he showed off his signature tackle-breaking ability on a pinballing 21-yard gain. Chubb could make a huge fantasy impact in 2018, but not without Carlos Hyde getting hurt. Considering Hyde's injury history, there's a real chance Chubb ends up getting run.

Aug 23 - 11:22 PM

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, ty247 said:

Give this man the ball. Deserves more than 3 carries a week for God's sake

If they'd given him 6 carries they'd have won by 2TDs