What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (5 Viewers)

He gets better in the 4th quarter. Absolute high end 2nd rb2. He’s got plenty of big play td ability, they need to feed this guy 20-22 touches 
The problem is offensive coordinator Todd Haley only used him once in OT.  Why?  He had Baker passing on first down in OT and it lead to penalties and sacks that took them out of FG range.  Chubb was obviously starting to get some traction late in the game and we went to OT and then Haley shut him down.  Why?  Haley sucks making play calls with the game on the line.  Four OT games and he's got 2 FGs with one win, Come on Todd. 

Now Hue is talking about getting more involved with the offense.  If he does then that might mean more Duke Johnson and passes to the RBs which wouldn't be horrible but it seems like its going to turn into a clusterfudge.

-----------------------------------------------------

92.3 The Fan‏Verified account @923TheFan  FollowFollow @923TheFan

#Browns Hue Jackson says he needs to get the offensive issues figure out: "I need to be a little bit more involved. I think I have every right here as the head coach to get it figured out."

2:07 PM - 21 Oct 2018

----------------------------------------------------

Enough of the damatic close games, just run it and get the easy win for a change.

So frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see who had 2 targets.

Any clue? Screen passes?

Ideally he's involved in the passing game as well. At least a little.

The best part about today is it shows they are going to give Chubb the Hyde role, plus they had Duke Johnson and Hyde in together with Duke playing as a WR.  This won't be some additional split between Chubb and Duke.  Chubb is going to get the vast majority of the carries.

The best part about today is it shows they are going to give Chubb the Hyde role, plus they had Duke Johnson and Hyde in together with Duke playing as a WR.  This won't be some additional split between Chubb and Duke.  Chubb is going to get the vast majority of the carries.
Don't start counting chickens when Hue says he's going to get more involved with the offense to 'figure things out'.  I don't know what Hue plans.

Hue Jackson says he needs to get the offensive issues figure out: "I need to be a little bit more involved.

Nick Chubb rushed 18 times for 80 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 7 loss to the Buccaneers.

With the trade of Carlos Hyde on Friday, Chubb drew the start and out-touched Duke Johnson 18-to-5. Chubb saw two targets in the pass game, but neither one were catchable. After just 24 yards on eight carries in the first half, Chubb ran 10 times for 54 yards after the break. His touchdown was a 1-yard plunge after a pass interference in the end zone. Chubb is now firmly on the radar as an RB2 option for fantasy next week against the Steelers, but he will still be a touchdown dependent option most weeks just as Hyde was.

Oct 21 - 5:56 PM

Don't start counting chickens when Hue says he's going to get more involved with the offense to 'figure things out'.  I don't know what Hue plans.
I think Hue plans to throw Haley under the bus and absolve himself from the responsibility of the offensive performance in the past games.  I doubt the play calling will change all that much unless there is a true coaching change in Cleveland.

How about starting with solving all of the penalties on offense?  It's crazy.

Good performance but not thrilled with lack of action in passing game. And why run Mayfield on sneak at  goal line when Chubb already got one in from the 1?

The Landry td was bad luck...could have had 3

Two things:

1- Chubb actually ran short routes out of the backfield multiple times today on passing plays.  Baker is usually looking further downfield though so it will take time for that connection to materialize if it does this season.

2- Most coaches who watch that film are going to ask why Chubb want the first option inside the 5 yard line.  It was weird play calling and you could argue it cost them the game.  You’d think that will change but with Hugh Jackson who really knows.

I'm in a mostly-for-fun work league with a hardcore Browns homer.  We can keep up to 3 players at their draft slot for up to 3 years, and I have both Guice and Chubb (drafted and dropped) as 18th-rounders.  So I can only keep one; figured I'd dangle Chubb (sorry) at Mr. Cleveland later in the season for a 2019 draft pick.

Guess who just came sniffing around - offered me Lindsay straight up.  Gonna cost more than that, fanboy! 

jtp1982 said:
Two things:

1- Chubb actually ran short routes out of the backfield multiple times today on passing plays.  Baker is usually looking further downfield though so it will take time for that connection to materialize if it does this season.

2- Most coaches who watch that film are going to ask why Chubb want the first option inside the 5 yard line.  It was weird play calling and you could argue it cost them the game.  You’d think that will change but with Hugh Jackson who really knows.
He ran them but at some point the Chubbies are going to simply have to accept the fact he's not a good option in obvious passing situations. They never kept him in to block and he's not a good receiver whereas Duke Johnson is a great receiver and is good in pass-pro.  Duke also signed an extension to make him one of the top-ten highest paid RBs in the league.

Last year when Hue was in charge he targeted Duke 93 times and he caught 74 passes.  Duke is the one that Baker is overlooking when he's been wide open multiple times but you are correct, Baker and Haley are hyper aggressive and they want to go deep but those connections haven't been happening.  

They finally started to use Landry on short crossers and he had his biggest game of the year.  They went away from Callaway.  Haley still won't dial things down and use Duke to keep drives alive but Haley kept going with the running game and getting the offense in third and long and the Bucs built a 23-9 lead before the defense gave then 4 turnovers and he still refused to make proper adjustments in the passing game ...

By properly using Duke in the passing game it will EXTEND drives and then Chubb can be more effective.  Killing drives keeps him entirely off the field.

Any time a player of this caliber gets 18 touches or more, it’s RB2-worthy with RB1 upside. 

I’m excited to have him on one team. 
Yeah, its not like his offense got 4 turnovers, nearly an entire OT, was playing the 31st ranked defense that had just fired its defensive coordinator, and had not one but two starting defensive linemen OUT, oh and they lost their starting middle linebacker AND his rookie replacement during the game.  Oh and now HC Hue Jackson says he's going to straighten out the offense and no one knows what the heck that means.

I love Nick Chubb but he's playing against the Steelers this week in Pittsburgh. 

I'd start him but I don't know what to expect.

Well at least we don't have to listen to the "he won't see the field because of Duke's superior pass blocking ... " anymore. That idea was squashed pretty good. Now it's fear of Pittsburgh. Fear of the hue taking over Haley's offense which will take carries away from Chubb after he has been saying he wants Chubb more involved for weeks. Let's fear that hue likes duke cos he gave him a ton of recs when Chubb wasn't even on the team.

Well at least we don't have to listen to the "he won't see the field because of Duke's superior pass blocking ... " anymore. That idea was squashed pretty good. Now it's fear of Pittsburgh. Fear of the hue taking over Haley's offense which will take carries away from Chubb after he has been saying he wants Chubb more involved for weeks. Let's fear that hue likes duke cos he gave him a ton of recs when Chubb wasn't even on the team.
How'd that work?  What did Chubb do in the passing game?  Playing the 31st ranked defense, 2 starting D-lInemen out, 2 linebackers getting injured during the game, 1 DC fired during week leading up to game,  when does he become effective in the passing game?  

Yep, the Browns 30th ranked offense could really use Chubb in the passing game over Duke.  You sold me.  Why because he was in the game even though he didn't pass-pro and didn't catch a pass.  But at least you don't have to listen to anyone who says different.  Yep, you put that to bed.

Gurley, Barkley, Kamara, Hunt, Zeke and Gordon.  And until Bell comes back Conner.

That's the entire list of RBs I start over Chubb without consideration at this point.  I think Chubb is even if not ahead of the others going forward.

With Zeke on bye, I'm choosing among a bunch of RB2s for next week: Lindsay, Breida, Chubb, Howard (also Crowell, but he's not under consideration). As of right now, I'm thinking Lindsay for sure and it will come down to Breida vs. Chubb, based on a) Breida's health and b) what I think of the Pitt matchup (by the numbers, they're listed as one of the toughest, but I haven't looked into it in detail yet)

Snap count for the last game:

Chubb:  45/68

Duke:  35/68

Also, in watching the game, Duke is always running routes and part of the play action pass plays.  Baker barely looks his direction . . . ever.  

Yeah, its not like his offense got 4 turnovers, nearly an entire OT, was playing the 31st ranked defense that had just fired its defensive coordinator, and had not one but two starting defensive linemen OUT, oh and they lost their starting middle linebacker AND his rookie replacement during the game.  Oh and now HC Hue Jackson says he's going to straighten out the offense and no one knows what the heck that means.

I love Nick Chubb but he's playing against the Steelers this week in Pittsburgh. 

I'd start him but I don't know what to expect.
Paint whatever narrative you’d like. Spin it 73 ways to the positive or negative at your leisure.  

You quoted me saying the only narrative I care about: utilization. 

Chubb passes the eye test. He’s elusive, strong, physical, agile and has both speeed & quicks.

and he should get 15-20 touches a game. 

Some weeks that will be great. Some weeks it will be less than great. Some weeks he may be RB1-worthy. Because the talent is obvious. 

But since it’s a sport filled with variables (opponent, score / game-flow, weather, OL health, young QB, etc) we just don’t know what that’ll produce on a weekly basis. And most of those factors apply to every running back not named Todd Gurley. 

And spin can be disingenuous as well. Take for example your statement about the ranking of TB’s defense. They actually had a highly rated run defense. I’ve said that much of that was due to teams passing on them like crazy since their secondary is a mess, but as it turns out, even without McCoy they’re not bad against the run. And Chubb still put up 80/1, which is smack dab RB2 production. 

And with BYE weeks shooting holes in preople’s rosters through week 12, anyone with Chubb should consider themselves very fortunate. I know I do. 

He wont replace Melvin Gordon next week, but he’s a hell of a lot better bet than Alex Collins, and has a safer floor than Peyton Barber which are my other options. 

Context matters sometimes. 

And since we all got our bag, as the expression goes, I’d prefer to avoid the narratives and just go with what I know: 

• Browns are (gasp!) an up & coming offense

• Browns QB/WR/RB trio is looking legit, and I expect will improve, while also maybe having some growing pains. 

• Browns D should be good enough to keep them in games

• Chubb & Duke are compatable & complimentary players. I’m weary of the “Chubb or Duke” narrative because they are filling different roles on the team and can both be successful if the Browns utilize each correctly. 

• Chubb should get between 15-20 touches any given Sunday, which includes short yardage. As such, he should have at least RB2 value for the ROS. Most of us have him as a RB3/Flex once BYEs are done, which is a real ace in the hole compared to the crap shoot we had before. 

IMO, all the narratives aside, those are the data points that matter.  

TL:DR Chubb good, Chubb RB2 ROS 

Congratulations to the Browns on getting one of the best backs in the NFL, I pray he stays healthy. Has it all- speed,power, balance, elusiveness, and vision. Certainly better vision than Sasquatch “let me take it outside all the time” Barkley. This guy was close to breaking a big run on 5-6 carries. I hope the rumors are true about Hue getting fired

Well at least we don't have to listen to the "he won't see the field because of Duke's superior pass blocking ... " anymore. 
We can only hope.

Fear of the hue taking over Haley's offense which will take carries away from Chubb after he has been saying he wants Chubb more involved for weeks. 
When Hue was calling plays in Cincy, I think they were the most run heavy team in the league. 

When Hue was calling plays in Cincy, I think they were the most run heavy team in the league. 
That’s what everyone said about why we should truest Raiders RBs under Hue as well. Didn’t work out so good, but he was definitely run-heavy in Cinci & with great success. 

That’s what everyone said about why we should trust Raiders RBs under Hue as well. Didn’t work out so good, but he was definitely run-heavy in Cinci & with great success. 
McFadden had a hell of a season under Hue as OC in 2010 and he was having another great season in 2011 when Hue was HC, but then he got injured. Michael Bush had RB1 numbers in McFadden's place. So I'm not sure what your qualm is with Hue's RBs in Oakland. If you handcuffed Bush to DMC, you had RB1 numbers all season long for both years. 

McFadden had a hell of a season under Hue as OC in 2010 and he was having another great season in 2011 when Hue was HC, but then he got injured. Michael Bush had RB1 numbers in McFadden's place. So I'm not sure what your qualm is with Hue's RBs in Oakland. If you handcuffed Bush to DMC, you had RB1 numbers all season long for both years. 
Oh I didn’t have qualms...I was just saying he wasn’t as successful with the team as he was in cinci. 

I think you may have misunderstood a bit - sorry if I was unclear. 

Gurley, Barkley, Kamara, Hunt, Zeke and Gordon.  And until Bell comes back Conner.

That's the entire list of RBs I start over Chubb without consideration at this point.  I think Chubb is even if not ahead of the others going forward.
I"ll add Mixon, Kerryon, and CMC until I see Chubb actually earn a higher ranking.

I"ll add Mixon, Kerryon, and CMC until I see Chubb actually earn a higher ranking.
I'm fine with that.  None of those three are match up proof to me though which is kind of my point. 

Even including them in the list, Chubb is still a low end RB1/high end RB2 right now in my opinion.

• Chubb should get between 15-20 touches any given Sunday, which includes short yardage. As such, he should have at least RB2 value for the ROS. Most of us have him as a RB3/Flex once BYEs are done, which is a real ace in the hole compared to the crap shoot we had before. 
Thanks for this bit of sanity...I think part of the issue is that people are looking for that season savior (like David Johnson, Chris Johnson in years past). Chubb met expectations and then some. If this kind of usage is what we see moving forward I'll be happy with having burned a bench sport for him for these many weeks.

Thanks for this bit of sanity...I think part of the issue is that people are looking for that season savior (like David Johnson, Chris Johnson in years past). Chubb met expectations and then some. If this kind of usage is what we see moving forward I'll be happy with having burned a bench sport for him for these many weeks.
While we saw Chubb's big play potential in Oakland, I would be very pleased with just a solid RB2 going forward. 

Hue Jackson finally talks about the trade of Hyde to Jacksonville (and Chubb's performance yesterday):

Browns general manager John Dorsey and coach Hue Jackson talked through the trade prospect before it was executed and agreed that it was the best move for the organization. The decision came a little easier knowing the team was in good hands with Chubb and Johnson.

“We made the decision as an organization to trade him, and we did that. That was OK,” Jackson said. “I thought Chubb did well. He had 18 carries for 80 yards and a touchdown. Ran hard, ran strong and did some really good things yesterday.

“I thought Chubb did well. I thought he broke tackles, ran the ball well, and did what we asked him to do that way. Along with Duke, I thought all our guys responded. I don’t think we have any lingering effects from that. I think the team gets it. They understand what we are accomplishing. I talked to them about it. They get it. On we go. We had a chance to win this game and we should have done the things we needed to do to win.”

Link

The quote suggests that Hue was totally on board with moving to Chubb and that the RB situation yesterday was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread