What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (4 Viewers)

I'm fine with that.  None of those three are match up proof to me though which is kind of my point. 

Even including them in the list, Chubb is still a low end RB1/high end RB2 right now in my opinion.
This. I don't think many of us need him to be an RB1, but I think that's what we'll get from him. He's an excellent talent and he'll easily be a top 10 RB pick next season. While Bracie is crazy for saying he's terrible at pass blocking and calling his week 6 target a drop is straight up laughable, the truth is that his involvement in the passing game will be slow to evolve. It was good to see him get a couple targets in his first game, though.

I expect his usage to mimic Hyde's which was enough to produce low-end RB1 numbers despite 3.4 ypc and 1 rec per game. I expect a much higher ypc from Chubb, more extended drives due to the better running (and increased defensive focus on the run), and more leads being nursed. 

Long term he's going to be involved in the passing game. He'll never be Barkley in that regard, but he could match Gurley's passing game competence in a year or two. Just because he wasn't used in that regard doesn't mean he's bad. Remember when everybody thought Ingram sucked in the passing game bc Payton didn't use him in that aspect his first three years? As a pass protector, Waldman described him as "decent with upside." Given his size, strength, and work ethic, I don't think this will be an issue.

King of the Jungle said:
Isn't that the purpose of the subscription?
Yes, ultimately, but being told for example "the article contains statistics and metrics that indicate he's a better pass blocker and route runner than we thought" can give me a taste without providing the whole meal.

Not really loving the Steelers matchup though.

PIT is strong against the run and they could get the lead. Not ideal game script potential.
Definitely a tough matchup, but keep in mind that Hyde got 22 carries and 2 targets in that game. Gotta like that volume. Although it should be noted that 3 of those carries were in OT. Either way, with Chubb's breakaway ability he's a pretty good option if he's getting utilized 20 times a game. Gotta think he either breaks a long run or falls into the end zone most of the time with that volume. 

Definitely a tough matchup, but keep in mind that Hyde got 22 carries and 2 targets in that game. Gotta like that volume. Although it should be noted that 3 of those carries were in OT. Either way, with Chubb's breakaway ability he's a pretty good option if he's getting utilized 20 times a game. Gotta think he either breaks a long run or falls into the end zone most of the time with that volume. 
As long as CLE can keep the score close, which I am not sure that is going to be the case. 

As long as CLE can keep the score close, which I am not sure that is going to be the case. 
They've only been blown out once this year. Cleveland pass rush is legit. If Baker can avoid turnovers, I think this should be a close game just like last time.

Plus, PIT's run D isn't a lock down unit. They are tied for 17th in ypc (4.2). Median is 4.3 ypc. I know Tampa had some injures, but they are sitting at 4.0 ypc. 

I'm not sure about assuming Chubb gets Hyde's volume -- and the point about his effectiveness with said volume is taken -- with Mayfield now the starter. Cleveland wants to run, but Johnson will probably work in more and the run game itself might see a decrease. 

TL;DR - that's an awfully big assumption about volume

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure assuming Chubb gets Hyde's volume -- and the point about his effectiveness with said volume is taken -- with Mayfield now the starter. Cleveland wants to run, but Johnson will probably work in more and the run game itself might see a decrease. 

TL;DR - that's an awfully big assumption about volume
I think Chubb easliy gets volume in a more competitive game. But not so much in the Pitt game. Good news is Cleveland lined up Chubb in the slot on a few plays. So he might get some receptions this week in catch up mode. 

Definitely like what I've seen so far from Chubb and an extremely high on his ROS/ dynasty outlook. Heck, I drafted him in the 11th round in my 3yr keeper league. 

All that being said, I'm thinking I might bench him this week in a touch matchup and start Lindsay in his place. 

Obviously its only Tuesday, so a lot can change, but just my initial thoughts. 

How'd that work?  What did Chubb do in the passing game?  Playing the 31st ranked defense, 2 starting D-lInemen out, 2 linebackers getting injured during the game, 1 DC fired during week leading up to game,  when does he become effective in the passing game?  

Yep, the Browns 30th ranked offense could really use Chubb in the passing game over Duke.  You sold me.  Why because he was in the game even though he didn't pass-pro and didn't catch a pass.  But at least you don't have to listen to anyone who says different.  Yep, you put that to bed.
You said he wouldn't see the field because of him being a liability. No we dont have to listen to that anymore. He saw the field more than Duke.

We can only hope.

When Hue was calling plays in Cincy, I think they were the most run heavy team in the league. 
Didn't Hyde lead the league in carries before he was traded, or close to it. I mean are supposed to be sad he doesnt get a ton of receiving to go along with it? Where this guy was drafted or picked up on the wire, he's a king maker.

https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1054093444237459458

Chubb does not look like a liability at pass blocking on that play and he gives so much more running the ball per touch. If he gets the same ratio of touches, I expect him to produce way more ypc than Hyde. Nobody can predict TDs, but I see no reason that would drop off as Duke is no threat there either. Precious few RBs have 3 down duties all to themselves. Chubb isn't there yet, but in future years I could see him being competent enough to become a 3 down back as well. Great keeper potential! 

Sanity Check: 

Offered the following in a PPR Dynasty:

Two 2nd round picks for Chubb and a 4th

Offensively bad offer -OR- simply a low opening offer?

In other words, what are people viewing Chubb's dynasty value at right now? Is anyone trading him anywhere recently? I can't imagine letting him go for anything less a king's ransom right now. He's a huge talent and the team just told the whole world they are hitching their trailer to him. It's the Browns, but they've been trending upward and have a potential legitimate franchise QB for a change. Hard not to view him as a top 6-8 RB in dynasty leagues.

Sanity Check: 

In other words, what are people viewing Chubb's dynasty value at right now? Is anyone trading him anywhere recently? I can't imagine letting him go for anything less a king's ransom right now. He's a huge talent and the team just told the whole world they are hitching their trailer to him. It's the Browns, but they've been trending upward and have a potential legitimate franchise QB for a change. Hard not to view him as a top 6-8 RB in dynasty leagues.
Poor offer.

In other words, what are people viewing Chubb's dynasty value at right now? 
No one has made me an offer since Chubb scored two TDs vs. Oakland. But to be fair, people in my league know I never trade away young RB talent unless the offer is ridiculous. That said, you have to imagine that Chubb's dynasty owners are all pretty geeked. They were geeked when Chubb killed Oakland. Now? His value can't get any higher unless he scores three TDs vs. Pitt this week.

That's awful. Chubb was probably a top 6 pick this year and is paying dividends sooner than most thought. He'd be 1.2 if people redrafted the rookies today.  Would you trade 1.2 and a 4th for 2 2nd rounders?  Never.

That's awful. Chubb was probably a top 6 pick this year and is paying dividends sooner than most thought. He'd be 1.2 if people redrafted the rookies today.  Would you trade 1.2 and a 4th for 2 2nd rounders?  Never.

Thanks, along with the others who responded. Like I said: Sanity check - just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Every offer I get in that particular league is that bad or worse, and at some point I just stopped responding to them, but then some started whining about not responding to offers. Your reasoning is pretty much what I replied with... how can he be worth less than preseason? He was still an early 1st in most leagues and is only more valuable now. Why do people waste their time with offers like this? 

Sanity Check: 

Yeah this is pretty bad.  I probably wouldn’t even respond it’s that bad. 

I can see that - especially if Royce Freeman sits. I can't afford to sit Chubb this week.
it's 100% that i have the luxury of being able to flex him. in my other leagues, he's starting for sure. 

All a matter of necessity; and moving forward, i'd be happy with Chubb as my flex or my RB2 (wasn't drafted there for the most part)

Thanks, along with the others who responded. Like I said: Sanity check - just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Every offer I get in that particular league is that bad or worse, and at some point I just stopped responding to them, but then some started whining about not responding to offers. Your reasoning is pretty much what I replied with... how can he be worth less than preseason? He was still an early 1st in most leagues and is only more valuable now. Why do people waste their time with offers like this? 
In my 16-team dynasty auction league I've had an offer of Freeman, Yeldon and Diggs thrown my way for Chubb and Kirk.  My wrs are rough, Kirk, Hilton and John Brown.  I'm not sure I'm going to accept it because we have a roster limit of 3-RBs.  I'd have to cut one of the RBs.  That offer you had was way off in my eyes.

I am on board.

Traded a #1 and #4 and CCarson. He had several options at RB, and I think he will move Carson for another 2nd or 3rd in the next week or two. 16 teams.

Traded K.Allen and T. Kelce for him basically (traded those 2 for the pick that netted Chubb)

He and Gurley on my team for the next many years. Now to plot about getting a Sony Sound system

Sanity Check: 

What did you pay for him? Personally, I would've had a hard time deciding between him and Guice at 1.02 (didn't have that pick, tho). I think his dynasty ADP was 1.04, largely due to the likelihood of sitting behind Hyde all year. If not for that, I think he'd have been consensus 1.02. So if you drafted him around 1.04, you should be offended by two 2nds. 

FF Ninja said:
Yeah, in this case I'd offer Chubb+4th for Gurley+1st... plus those two 2nds.

That kind of counter usually gets the point across.
The point it gets across is that you have no interest in trying to find a deal that both sides like.

Users who are viewing this thread